What must be the ingredients of a five-star match?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
I've been checking on all the 5 star matches of the past decade, and i've found out, to my utter surprise, that according to the great Dave Meltzer, WWE in it's full illustrious history, has had only 5 five star matches! More surprisingly, only one in the last 16 years! Even, HBK vs Taker at WM 25, and Cena vs Punk at Raw in 2013 failed to get a five star rating from Mr.Meltzer! I think punk vs cena on raw should've got a 5 star! So, i've been thinking, for a while now, what does it take, to make a wrestling match, a five star match? Big moves, or pure technical wrestling, or lots of drama, or excellent storytelling? What's your thoughts on this?

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Dave Meltzer is not someone I would take seriously. There have been more than 5 five star matches.

I think it takes a good feud going in to the match, and then for the match itself to keep you on your feet. No one likes predictability.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Cena vs Rollins for the double championship would have been 5 star IMO if the finish was clean. It had awesome spots, good ring work and had a nice tempo to it too.

But then Jon Stewart came down the ramp and mucked it all up >.<

Reactions: Solid Snake

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
also, what do you all thik of the punk vs cena match on raw 2013? it only got a 4.5 rating, but it was one of the best i've seen, if not the best ever

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
Cena vs Rollins for the double championship would have been 5 star IMO if the finish was clean. It had awesome spots, good ring work and had a nice tempo to it too.

But then Jon Stewart came down the ramp and mucked it all up >.<
also, what do you all thik of the punk vs cena match on raw 2013? it only got a 4.5 rating, but it was one of the best i've seen, if not the best ever

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
yeah, but if u were a booker, how'd u book a match, to make it get a 5 star rating?

Well... I would start with a good feud. You have to get people invested. You have to hype it up without over selling the product (something WWE has issues with... *sigh*). Once you have a solid feud going where you know the fans are invested in, you give them a match. The match can be very simple and straight forward if the feud is good enough. Since social media is a huge thing these days, bringing in personal (but not too personal) affairs in to the match will also make it more believable. We all know wrestling is scripted so you have to approach it like you were/are writing a play. As for the in ring action... Good spots, perfect timing, the right kind of reactions from both the face and the heel, and the element of surprise.

Reactions: Shayon

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
Well... I would start with a good feud. You have to get people invested. You have to hype it up without over selling the product (something WWE has issues with... *sigh*). Once you have a solid feud going where you know the fans are invested in, you give them a match. The match can be very simple and straight forward if the feud is good enough. Since social media is a huge thing these days, bringing in personal (but not too personal) affairs in to the match will also make it more believable. We all know wrestling is scripted so you have to approach it like you were/are writing a play. As for the in ring action... Good spots, perfect timing, the right kind of reactions from both the face and the heel, and the element of surprise.
what if both of them are faces, like taker and hbk at wm? what then?

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
what if both of them are faces, like taker and hbk at wm? what then?

You do what they did. You put a epic stipulation on the match. Also, Undertaker is not a face nor a heel. He is a tweener.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Good action, technically sound, a great story, emotion, crowd reactions, and maybe someone from Japan.

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
What about punk vs cena from raw, that was
You do what they did. You put a epic stipulation on the match. Also, Undertaker is not a face nor a heel. He is a tweener.
What about punk vs cena from raw, that was a 5 star for me