Official MMA News/Rumours Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Re: Bellator To Announce New TV Deal

solid TV outlet. FX is available in a lot of homes, and should be able to market them properly.

I think FOX is interested in the UFC. Would be intriguing to see how this impacts talks between FOX and UFC. If at all.

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
as the title suggests, talk all news and rumours in this thread.

Koscheck apparently has a broken orbital bone.

GSP/Shields next for the title and then possibly silva/gsp in an epic superfight.

Ben

Reaction score
Don't see Shields/GSP is a fresh matchup so the appeal is there, but I see it ending with another victory for GSP. They need to pull the trigger on Silva/GSP, but I don't see it happening until late 2011. After Shields I see him taking on the winner of Fitch/Penn, especially if Penn gets the win in that match up.

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
gsp/penn III or gsp/fitch II has no interest for me.

gsp/shields will go the same way as gsp/fitch and gsp/kos

Ben

Reaction score

Ben

Reaction score
http://www.mmamania.com/2010/12/15/1877811/ufc-brazil-now-official-after-zuffa-confirms-aug-27-pay-per-view-in#storyjump

It's official.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) today (Dec. 15) announced its long-awaited return to Brazil, currently scheduled for the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro on Aug. 27, 2011.

On hand for today's announcement, which was delivered via live press conference at Rio de Janeiro's City Hall, was a virtual who's-who of Brazilian UFC stars including current middleweight champion Anderson Silva, reigning light heavyweight kingpin Mauricio Rua and even recently anointed UFC featherweight champ Jose Aldo.

Also making an appearance was current 185-pound number one contender Vitor Belfort, who stopped Wanderlei Silva in just 44 seconds under the UFC banner during its first foray into Brazil back in 1998 in San Paulo.

Even UFC pillar and grappling legend Royce Gracie was in attendance.

Star-divide

A return to Brazil has long been on Zuffa's radar, but perhaps not a priority until recently after the rapid economic growth -- coupled with a winning bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympics -- made the destination much more lucrative.

From UFC President Dana White (via Yahoo Sports):

"The economy is doing extremely well down here. The fact that these guys got the Olympics, the (2014) World Cup and all these big events, it just made sense. The economy has really been kick started and there are a lot of good things going on in Brazil ... Because of how big this is [stateside], people were always asking me about Brazil and when it would happen and I always said it probably won’t happen for a while because we weren’t focused on it. But when they got the Olympics, I said, ‘Now we’re interested,’ and we really began to look at Brazil."

The summer pay-per-view (PPV) event is expected to feature an all-star line-up consisting primarily of Brazilian fighters, including the aforementioned roster of current and former champions.

Is asking for Vitor Belfort vs. Wanderlei Silva II being too greedy?

See you in Brazil, Maniacs.

No surprise as this was rumored to be going down a few weeks ago...should be a stacked card.

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
colemillerATT Cole Miller
@cowboycerrone wish i couldve seen it live so my blood could boil i was on a plane but after I fight Wiman I'll gladly remove one of ur arms

cerrone/miller needs to happen. would be a sick fight, both guys go hard.

Ben

Reaction score
UFC Names Top 10 KO of 2010

# 10. Takanori Gomi obliterates Tyson Griffin at UFC on Versus 2
# 9. Carlos Condit lands faster and more accurate on Dan Hardy at UFC 120
# 8. Rich Franklin retires Chuck Liddell at UFC 115
# 7. Cain Velasquez definitively puts away Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 110
# 6. Gerald Harris slams Dave Branch into next week at UFC 116
# Pablo Garza goes Street Fighter on Fredson Paixao at TUF 12 Finale
# 4. Mike Russow halts the Todd Duffee hype train at UFC 114
# 3. BJ Penn destroys Matt Hughes at UFC 123
# 2. 'Shogun' Rua rips the title from Lyoto Machida at UFC 113
# 1. Cain Velasquez embarrasses Brock Lesnar at UFC 121

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
kinda confused by their list. seems to be half about big KO's and then some more meaningful stoppages (ie the Cain/Brock fight)

Gomi's KO was sick. deserves to be much higher than 10, you can literally see him throw everything into it like its a fucking anime/fighting game.

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
Bellator champ Joe Warren returning to Greco-Roman roots, eyes Olympic gold

The self-proclaimed "Baddest Man on the Planet" already has Bellator Fighting Championships gold around his waist.

Now he's looking to put Olympic gold around his neck.

Bellator featherweight champion Joe Warren (6-1 MMA, 4-0 BFC) plans on making a return to the international wrestling scene next year in an effort to qualify for the 2012 London Olympic Games.

"I'm going to put the MMA on hold for six or seven months," Warren told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I'm going to win the Olympics."

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility for Warren. The former University of Michigan wrestler earned gold medals in Greco-Roman wrestling in the both 2006 World Championships and Pan-American Championships, as well as the 2007 World Cup.

Warren was a favorite to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Games, but he was pulled from the qualifying trials after testing positive for marijuana.

Warren said he wants to go back and finish what he started, and he believes he's still more than capable of taking home the Olympic title.

"I'm in a position right now where I'm the best wrestler in the world," Warren said. "My technique is there, and I have my coaches. Right now, I'm physically better than I've ever been. Fighting is helping that.

"I still train at the Olympic Training Center three or four times a week. I believe I can win this Olympic championship. It's the only thing I didn't win in wrestling."

Of course, Warren's motivation isn't solely based on hardware. In 2009, USA Wrestling developed a program entitled the "Living the Dream Medal Fund," in which U.S. Olympic wrestlers can earn $250,000 for a gold medal win.

While the offer is certainly appealing to Warren, who made his MMA debut in 2009, the seven-fight veteran doesn't necessarily believe the program will lure other mixed martial artists with accomplished wrestling backgrounds into putting their pro fighting careers on hold.

"Wrestling is not the same," Warren said. "People do it their whole life to win, and if they're not winning now, they're not going to start winning 10 years out of their prime for money. If that was the case before, then these guys would still be around.

"However, I'm happy to have any guys come out of retirement and do whatever. Make sure you come out of retirement in my weightclass because I'll kick your [expletive] ass."

As for his MMA aspirations, Warren said he had hoped to fight for DREAM on New Year's Eve, but that now looks unlikely. Instead, he hopes to soon defend his 145-pound Bellator belt, as well as enter the company's 135-pound tournament in order to capture two titles.

"I'll fight February for Bellator, July for Bellator, then enter the 135-pound tournament for Bellator," Warren said. "Then I will stop fighting in December of next year and win the Olympics.

"I would like to win the gold, win the 135-pound belt, defend my 145-pound belt, and then come win some other belts. I believe I can get it done. It's my love. I've done it my whole life. I'm going to go get a gold medal in London, and it's $250,000, so come on."

Lofty aspirations, for sure, but Warren has never been one to settle for second-best. And while the 34-year-old's 2011 calendar will be filled with both MMA bouts and wrestling tournaments, Warren believes he's ready to tackle the challenge.

"Wrestling is a progression sport," Warren said. "You get better with age. It's skill level, it's technique, it's muscle memory. If you're older and still not hurt and ready to rock and roll, then why not get it done?

"Not a lot of people can do it. I believe I can."

source: mmajunkie

personally i'd like to see him work on his striking considering he's got the wrestling background to make it in MMA but he's getting absolutely tooled on the feet.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I obviously haven't seen all of this years stuff so hard for me to say if that top 10 ko list is right or not but the Penn on Hughes one seems to be in it's rightful place.

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
pettis_henderson0cki.gif

knockdown of the year :side:

Gomi KO

kogomi.gif

Condit KO

ConditKOsHardy.gif

Franklin KO

23iia2o.jpg

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
Cain KO vs Big Nog

2lxa15w.gif

Harris Slam KO

34hvs4x.gif

Garza Flying Knee KO

GarzaKOsPaixo.gif

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
Russow KO

1zn517m.gif

BJ blows away Hughes

penn_hughes4p8v.gif

Shogun KO

imager.php

Cain KO vs Lesnar

350l8r5.jpg

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
:lol: @ the last one in the first post when the ref flew his ass in there to make him stop. All of those are damn good but if I had to pick which one was the best I'd go with Cain (the one in the first post). Flatout killed that dude.