Official MMA News/Rumours Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Taker

Reaction score
My Rating for Day 2: Hulk Hogan

Hulk Hogan was one of my favorite childhood wrestlers back in the days, i respect Hulk Hogan and i have to say he was a true american in the ring. Hulk Hogan started back in the 80's feuding against Andre The Giant. I was shocked when Hulk Hogan picked Andre up and bodyslammed him to the mat. But my favorite match of The Immortal Hogans has to be... against Mr. McMahon at Wrestlemania 19 in a 20 years in the making street fight match. Hulk Hogan has now retired and has shown up in many Wrestlemanias, WM20, WM21 & Wrestlemania 22. I hope he shows up at Wrestlemania 23 and gives the Fans...1 More Match. I am going to give The Immortal Hulk Hogan a 9/10!

Hulk Hogan: 9/10

Montana

Wow, hogan is doin much better this time around

Ill give him a 9/10 for being stubborn to put guys over.

Reaction score
lol a 71 huh Street Thug? WOW! Outta 10 huh? lol. Or did you mean 7.1 cause that would be even more sweet......lol just pickin on ya man.

Hogan gets an 8/10 from me. Made wrestling what it is today, there's no denying that. Still is just as popular as he was in the 80s. And in the mid 90s, proved he could do what no one thought he could, and that's be a heel and make everyone absolutely hate him. And he did it perfectly, probably the best time frame of his career there cause it showed he actually had range as an entertainer that no one knew even existed before that. BUT, as said before, he blows goats in the ring. And yes that means HE'S BAD for those of you that don't know haha. That and the fact that he NEVER puts people over are the only two negatives for me.

oneofakind

Reaction score
Meh not much to say i hate him cause he cant wrestle and im not gonna vote him high because charisma doesnt matter to me its if you can wrestle good. Most of my favorite wrestlers never interact with the crowd at all and they still love them. So Hogan you get a 5.3333331 or 5.5 whatever is easier

ChiWa

Reaction score
Hogan made this business and without him it wouldn't be on TV now. No he can't wrestle, but without him to sell the show, we would have never seen the real wrestlers. 8.5/10

Reaction score
The icon that helped take the business to the mainstream (he's still the image most non-wrestling fans think of when you mention the 'sport'), stayed on top for the best part of 20 years and partly shaped the way wrestling is today. Charismatic as hell and made you believe that a body slam, a clothline and an elbow drop were terrifying offence moves. Whilst he is a bog standard grappler he made you believe in him as a force to be reckoned with, which is half the battle.

Shame he's a foul playing backstage politician, an appalling self promoter and a nostalgia hugging windbag to this day. Based on his ascending exagerations over the years I'm sure it won't be long before I hear him say '93 million fans watched me hold all two tons of Andre the Giant over my head, slam him through the ring and straight to the centre of the earth brother!'

Credit where credit is due though, he's almost bigger than wrestling. 9/10

Rush

Banned
Reaction score
Kenny Florian injured, forced to withdraw from UFC Fight Night 23

A highly anticipated lightweight main event between top UFC contenders Kenny Florian (14-5 MMA, 11-4 UFC) and Evan Dunham (11-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) will not take place as scheduled.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the promotion that Florian suffered an undisclosed injury while training for a planned matchup with Dunham and has been forced to withdraw from the bout.

The pair was expected to meet in the main event of "UFC Fight Night 23: UFC Fight for the Troops 2," which takes place Jan. 22 at Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas.

The UFC has yet to announce the change, and it's currently unknown whether a replacement opponent will be found or if the matchup will be pushed back to a later date.

Florian's manager, Malki Kawa, declined to comment on the report when contacted by MMAjunkie.com.

Both Florian and Dunham were looking to recover from recent losses.

Dunham faced former UFC lightweight champ Sean Sherk in September and was dealt the first loss of his career via close split decision. After suffering a huge gash near his right eye in the opening round of the UFC 119 fight, Dunham battled back with an impressive blend of striking from distance and a capable takedown attack. Nevertheless, Sherk was granted the decision.

Prior to the loss, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt posted UFC wins over Per Eklund, Marcus Aurelio, Efrain Escudero and Tyson Griffin.

Florian, meanwhile, hoped to return to the cage for the first time since suffering a unanimous-decision loss to Gray Maynard at UFC 118 in August. In a fight to determine the 155-pound division's next title challenger, Florian was unable to defend against Maynard's wrestling attack and lost the fight on all three judges' cards.

The former title challenger now is just 2-2 in his past four fights, though the defeats have come at the hands of current No. 1 contender Maynard and former lightweight champion B.J. Penn.

source: mmajunkie.com

sucks for everyone involved really. Florian/Dunham would've been a sick fight and both would be coming out hard looking to bounce back.

Ben

Reaction score
UFC 131 Location

mmajunkie.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship's Toronto debut is set.

Today during a media and fan event at the Air Canada Centre, UFC president Dana White confirmed that UFC 131 takes place April 30 at the 69,000-seat Rogers Centre.

No fights were announced for the show, but UFC 131 will feature a two-day UFC Fan Expo at the Direct Energy Centre from April 29-30.

Given the size of the venue and Canada's immense MMA fan base, the show, which airs on pay-per-view, likely will shatter the North American MMA attendance and live-gate records.

"Canadians have repeatedly shown how much they love the UFC," White stated. "Fans in Ontario have patiently waited, and it will pay off as this one will go down in the history books come April 30. I'm very excited. Toronto is going to break the record and host the biggest-mixed martial-arts event ever in North America."

Don't know how there going to have it all set up, but even if they get 40k for the gate that would be insane, would guess there going to try to get GSP on the card. Might not happen with GSP fighting this month, and BJ and Fitch who would most likely be his next opponent fighting at 127.

Ben

Reaction score
Bellator To Announce New TV Deal

http://mmapayout.com/2010/12/bellat...fsn-fuel-tv-deal-also-signs-tv-deal-in-india/
http://mmapayout.com/2010/12/bellat...fsn-fuel-tv-deal-also-signs-tv-deal-in-india/

MMAJunkie reports that Bellator Fighting Championships is expected to announce a multi-year broadcast deal with Fox Entertainment Group in the upcoming weeks.

The deal includes the Bellator product airing live on FX, and on tape delay on FSN and Fuel TV.
“We’re super excited about our next evolution on TV,†Rebney said. “We’re always trying to produce the most exciting and captivating MMA for our fans. Our next step is a significant move in that direction. But at this time, I can’t elaborate on what those alliances would be.â€
Sources, though, said Bellator likely will keep its Thursday-night live timeslots with the move to FX. The FSN and Fuel TV broadcasts likely will include “highlights†packages from those events.

MMAPayout was in the process of confirming a potential TV deal with FX and Fuel TV several weeks ago before MMAJunkie broke the story, but the deal was not finalized and the parties were not able to comment at the time. MMAPayout’s Robert Joyner reported on FX looking for a sports franchise back in July of 2009, making the argument that Bellator would be a good fit for the network.

Bellator has been aiming for a ESPN tie-in, but this would be a good fallback position for the company. Bellator would be attractive in that they offer a strip of programming. They air could offer 12 to 13 week strips of programming back to back, either live or on a one day delay. That constancy would be attractive for FX looking to build a brand. Bellator would be the best option for FX in my estimation.

Some MMA insiders speculated that the UFC was in line to sign a deal with FOX, FX, or Fuel TV, either for a network or cable TV slot, since they already broadcast UFC events on Fuel TV in Australia and Fuel TV recently stated on the SportsBusiness Journal that they were very interested in adding MMA content to their programming in the upcoming months.

Fox Sports’ action sports channel won’t be limited to surf, skate and snow programming anymore.
Fuel TV plans to add lifestyle programming and sports programming from motorsports and mixed martial arts to its lineup over the next month and a half. The moves are designed to expand the channel’s target demo from 12- to 24-year-old males to 12-35 and enlarge its audience.

Fuel TV general manager C.J. Olivares, who’s channel is said to reach around 31 million homes, stated that Fuel TV was expanding beyond action sports, looking to make the channel a sports and entertainment network inspired by the new generations of sports. The move is not a surprising one, as Fuel TV was almost sold to MTV last year before the deal fell through in the closing stages and is currently making changes to better position themselves for re-negotiation next fall, when their deal with DirecTV, one of it’s biggest affiliates, is set to expire. FOX Sports and C.J have since agreed not to sell Fuel TV, claiming that big plans are in the works for the niche network, hoping these moves help Fuel TV become a rated network in the future. Simply put, “To survive and thrive in the competitive landscape of cable television, we need to move to a rated environment,†Olivares said.

On the other hand, with the addition of FX, Bellator has now increased its reach to 96 million homes considering that the channel can be found in most basic-cable packages in the U.S. FX is the home of several hit TV programs such as “Rescue Meâ€, “Sons of Anarchyâ€, and “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphiaâ€, with Bellator becoming the sole sports programming property on the network.

Bellator Signs TV Deal In India With Big CBS Prime

Bellator Fighting Championships has signed a TV deal in India with recently launched BIG CBS Prime, a joint venture between Reliance Broadcast Network and CBS Studios International, which launched the network across 20 million homes in India on November 29th this year. Bellator is scheduled to make its debut on Friday, December 3rd, at 10:00 PM, with two hour episodes, which will be a first-of-it’s-kind mixed martial arts initiative in India.
Aparnaa Pande, the business head at BIG CBS Prime, commented of the deal: “Cricket and sports programs are known to draw huge audiences in India. Our audience entertainment preferences and consumption mapping pointed at an excellent opportunity to bring to India, this world acclaimed and unique form of martial arts that has never been seen in Indian this far. The Bellator Fighting Championship promise to revolutionize the way fighting championships have been consumed this far.â€
CBS Prime will also make other popular U.S. programming available, including hits such as NCIS, movies from NBC Universal and Sony, and is in talks with other international studies to acquire other Hollywood films. Par of the networks strategy will be to localize international shows, such as Indian versions of Entertainment Tonight. BroadcastingCable reports the details on the U.S. breaking into the TV market in India.
“The launch of Big CBS Prime is the first step towards addressing the current need gaps of Indian viewers for internationally acclaimed quality programming,†noted Tarun Katial, CEO of Reliance Broadcast Network, in a statement regarding the channel’s strategy and programming.
Adding that Indian viewers have traditionally waited nine months or more for new U.S. fare to reach India, Katial noted that these delays and the lack of content exclusivity had mean that “English programming as a category is highly under-developed. With our exclusive range of programming mix, Big CBS is uniquely posed to grow the size of this market.â€
Big CBS is planning to air some U.S. shows within 24 hours after their appearance in the U.S.
As part of its ad sales strategy the network is planning to target luxury brands, which have increased their ad spend by about 43% in the last four years in India.

Payout Perspective:

This is a great deal for Bellator, finally giving MMA fans what they have been coveting since season one, live Bellator events showing on an easily accessible network, which the combination of FX, Fuel TV, and FSN provides for the promotion. We will have to wait on the details of the deal, but it appears to be a good one for Bellator at the moment.
It increases their distribution a great deal, rivaling the UFC in terms of homes reached for a promotion in North American and creates big opportunities for next season. The question for Bellator now is if they can capitalize on the reach they have with sponsors and other means to generate revenue. You also have to wonder if they will enter the PPV market this year, since they promised their investors a turn-around this year, originally claiming that they would hold multiple PPV events by the third year of operation, which is where they will stand next year. It is possible that they could switch over to a non-PPV model similar to Strikeforce, but without knowing what type of licensing fees Bellator is receiving from FOX, it’s still to early to speculate on that. Either way, this move is a huge step up for Bellator, which has improved their TV reach and distribution deals each of it’s first three seasons.

They have some good talent...and the fact that there going to be live on a major network like FX is only going to help them.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Re: Bellator To Announce New TV Deal

Kind of surprised they got a deal but nice I'll probably watch it then regularly.

Rush

Banned
Reaction score

why are you surprised? they consistantly put out decent shows, they're well run, they know their place isn't to compete with the UFC (lolStrikeforce) and every tv company is after more mma due to it gaining mainstream popularity.

I really want to see Alvarez and Askren in the UFC sooner rather than later tbh.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG

Not surprised on their end more so surprised on FX's end as them having MMA on their channel is def gonna be different but in a good way.