Official Football Discussion Thread 2014/15

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Am relieved that Villa have come to the sensible decision to sack Lambert today. He clearly wasn't going to turn it around and it was too much of a gamble keeping him in change any longer. I just hope we haven't made the change too late. There are enough good players at the club to get out of it with a decent manager guiding them. What I would do is appoint someone with experience like Curbsley until the end of season, and then make a longer term appointment after that. The likes of Klinnsman, Allerdynce, Moyes and Laudrup are the names I would be looking at.

Its good that we have a cup game sunday as that will be break from the struggles of the league and there won't be too much pressure. After sunday I would start making moves.
Curbishley, really? Guys been out of management for like 8 years and you wanna take a gamble on him? :lmao @ Allardyce, Moyes and Laudrup too

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Curbishley, really? Guys been out of management for like 8 years and you wanna take a gamble on him? :lmao @ Allardyce, Moyes and Laudrup too

You didn't read my post properly. I would not appoint Curbishley long term for the very reasons you mention (and BTW he was only an example). But I think this late in the season we might struggle to anyone of note, so I think we need a steady stop-gap manager who would be able to keep us up, but who would be happy to just do the job short term. Then like I said I would make a longer term appointment over the summer.

And what issues do you have with Moyes, Allardyce and Laudrup? Or is it just that you don't think we could get any of them?

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
You didn't read my post properly. I would not appoint Curbishley long term for the very reasons you mention (and BTW he was only an example). But I think this late in the season we might struggle to anyone of note, so I think we need a steady stop-gap manager who would be able to keep us up, but who would be happy to just do the job short term. Then like I said I would make a longer term appointment over the summer.

And what issues do you have with Moyes, Allardyce and Laudrup? Or is it just that you don't think we could get any of them?
I did read it properly, the fact of the matter is you're taking a punt on a guy who's been out of management for going on 8 years.

I don't have any issues with them, they're just totally out of the realms of possibility and would be a huge step backwards for them. You'll probably end up with someone trash like Neil Warnock.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Hire the guy who looks like Gene Hackman.

Reactions: Keith

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige

Moyes = bombing at Sociedad

Allardyce = HOOOOOFFFFFF

Laudrup = got fired from Swansea because he couldn't buy a win and was sending them down

You'll get some steady eddie like Tim Sherwood who'll keep you up in 17th place for another dogfight next season

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I did read it properly, the fact of the matter is you're taking a punt on a guy who's been out of management for going on 8 years.

I don't have any issues with them, they're just totally out of the realms of possibility and would be a huge step backwards for them. You'll probably end up with someone trash like Neil Warnock.

But part of my point is that we have a decent enough set of players to stay up with a half decent manager with the right kind of experience. Curbishley fits that bill eights years out or not. We only need someone to make a short term impact. Even Keegan was able to do that second time around Newcastle and he's much shitter.

You're just knocking us for the sake of it with your second comment. Fact is we are a big club and as long as there was money to spend (which is dependent on getting a new owner in) then I think there is a chance of attracting someone like Moyes or Laudup. Don't forget managers like that like a challenge, and Villa right now certainly is one:(

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Moyes = bombing at Sociedad

Allardyce = HOOOOOFFFFFF

Laudrup = got fired from Swansea because he couldn't buy a win and was sending them down

You'll get some steady eddie like Tim Sherwood who'll keep you up in 17th place for another dogfight next season

I'd missed your trolling Cork:lmao

Moyes is doing well in Spain (one reason why he is unlikely to come to Villa right now)

West Ham actually play some decent football, and even if they didn't their still winning games so who cares?

Laudrup won Swansea their first ever trophy and had them in mid-table comfort so he must have been doing something right.

I fear you maybe right on Sherwood. Sadly unlike you I'm not sure he would keep us up.

Football is dead anyway at least at the top. Money has killed the game. And yes I would be saying that even if I supported a team who benefitted from it:D

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
But part of my point is that we have a decent enough set of players to stay up with a half decent manager with the right kind of experience. Curbishley fits that bill eights years out or not. We only need someone to make a short term impact. Even Keegan was able to do that second time around Newcastle and he's much shitter.

You're just knocking us for the sake of it with your second comment. Fact is we are a big club and as long as there was money to spend (which is dependent on getting a new owner in) then I think there is a chance of attracting someone like Moyes or Laudup. Don't forget managers like that like a challenge, and Villa right now certainly is one:(
How is it knocking you for the sake of it? What's funny is that you basically had a go at me for saying that you would be a step backwards for those 3 managers but then you go on and give reasons to Cork why they wouldn't go to Villa :lmao

Honestly, the whole 'we're a big club' is just ehhhhhhhhh. Given what is going on with the owner and how it looks like he wants out with the lack of money he's putting into the club, I think anyone wanting to manage Villa would be pretty fucking crazy right now.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
How is it knocking you for the sake of it? What's funny is that you basically had a go at me for saying that you would be a step backwards for those 3 managers but then you go on and give reasons to Cork why they wouldn't go to Villa :lmao

Honestly, the whole 'we're a big club' is just ehhhhhhhhh. Given what is going on with the owner and how it looks like he wants out with the lack of money he's putting into the club, I think anyone wanting to manage Villa would be pretty fucking crazy right now.

Because I can see why they wouldn't go to Villa, but there are reasons why they would as well. Having flopped at Man Utd I don't think Moyes would get a much bigger club than us in the PL right now but of course he might be happy in Spain. And Laudup did a fine job at Swansea who are not a bigger club than us. But it makes no difference now as we went with Sherwood today which for me is a big gamble. The future is uncertain, he may even be gone when the new owner finally arrives:eek: Will keep an open mind for now.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Sherwood seems a bit of a dunce, but can't argue his record at Spurs.

Dont agree youre a big club though. In the Championship next season you might be, but big clubs generally dont finish in the botton half of the table every year

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Sherwood seems a bit of a dunce, but can't argue his record at Spurs.

Dont agree youre a big club though. In the Championship next season you might be, but big clubs generally dont finish in the botton half of the table every year

Completely different at Spurs. He knew the club already, had a much better squad of players than we have and was not in a scrap at the bottom. The test would have been if Spurs had kept him on. It is easily to make a short term impact where there is no pressure on you than to do it long term. I will reserve judgement for now Sherwood is highly thought of in the game, but think we are taking a big gamble.

Being a big club or not has nothing to do with league position. Some clubs will always be big clubs because of other factors no matter what league they play in.

Anyway much improved second half today and I think we just about edged the game. Bacuna's goal was a cracker, Sinclair's slice of luck should give him confiderence and Given's save in the first class was world class. Not the most convincing win but important to lift confiderence. Now the real work starts next week.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Massive three points for us last night. I'd forgotten what a league win felt like!:) Lets hope that the break we got at the end and Benteke's cool pen proves a turning point for us and him. We still have the likes of QPR, Sunderland, and Burnley to play which means it is our hands I think. We need a few more results like last night now.

Am going to the Cup game saturday. Should be a great atmosphere, just hope it doesn't prove an anti-climax after last night:eek:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Fuck me Man U are woeful.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
How's Arsenal?

I like that name and jersey.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Fuck me Man U are woeful.

I know they were so lucky to win last night. If the league wasn't such a low standard I don't think they would be anywhere near 4th. Of course the amount of money they spent they should still be doing better.