NXT Season 5

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

Darren Young with Pro Chavo Guerrero.
Connor O'Brien with Pro Vladimir Kozlov.
Lucky Cannon with Pro Tyson Kidd.
Byron Saxton with Pro Yoshi Tatsu.
Jacob Novak with Pro JTG.
Titus O'Neil with Pro Hornswoggle.

This season is a "runners-up" season where rookies who failed to win in previous series get another chance. Not the revolutionary idea that I thought it was going to be but at least they aren't promoting another six stars who then have to find spots on the main roster or be demoted yet again.​

I can't actually remember half these rookies so I will need to do some research on them again.​

This season there is no immunity.​

Also William Regal is an announcer on NXT along with Todd Grisham whilst Matt Striker and Maryse host the show.​

Will you be watching? Who do you think will win? What do you think about the contestants and changes?​

Last edited:

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
I'll watch for the hell of it, but it doesn't look too good. Please WWE make Hornswoggle actually talk instead of screaming Ra-Ra-Ra... c'mon.

Darren Young was a surprise because he was on Superstars doing a few matches here and there...
Lucky Cannon is now heel, even surprising but he plays his new gimmick decently enough
Conor O'Brian was on NXT last season, The Rat Man... he won't go far but he should
Bryan Saxton is the one with the charisma, he needs to win and actually be brought up to the roster.
Novak is someone I do not care about, he is boring and dull.

Aniking

Reaction score
There isn't much point to this season other than filling a spot on NXT6, which kinda tells us that the WWE didn't have enough Rookies to fill a season. I don't see anybody else other than Byron Saxton or Lucky Cannon winning really. Titus O'Neill and Jacob Novak are boring, Conor O'Brian isn't that entertaining and Darren Young shouldn't even be in it as he's supposed to be on the RAW brand.

As for Regal being on commentary, I'd say the WWE are just trying to find another way to keep him on television now that he's retiring very soon. I hope he does well on commentary, I wouldn't mind seeing Regal behind the table.

Will you be watching? Probably.
Who do you think will win? Byron Saxton or Lucky Cannon.
What do you think about the contestants and changes? Could've chosen better contestants and the Pros are shit (prob saving the better ones for NXT6 as this is a "fill-in" season you could say). No title shot and spot on the roster makes sense, but I am really hoping NXT6 is very good. At the beginning of NXT4 I read that the WWE have saved the best Rookies they have left for NXT5, which I'm hoping has been pushed back to NXT6.

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
The pro's for this season are the worst by far. I think only one has ever had a World title shot and none of them are stars at the moment. Hornswoggle being a pro is a horrible decision and it sucks for Titus O'Neill.

Darren Young was overshadowed by Nexus when he was kicked out and whenever he was on RAW/Superstars as a singles wrestler I would always think of Nexus. He needs to get out of their shadow and maybe if he can show some personality this season he will be able to do that. Lucky Cannon should do well this season and will be one of the favourites. Titus O'Neill I don't see going far. Connor O'Brien surprised me last season but I don't think he will win although he should eventually make it onto the midcard of one of the brands. Jacob Novak I don't remember at all. Bryon Saxton is the one I want to win this season, he has the charisma and the talent to make it on the main roster and this would be a good boost for him.

I like the fact that WWE are putting another former wrestler on commentary. NXT is a great spot to try out a new commentator and I think that William Regal can do well. He can certainly talk and would be someone that is comfortable behind the headset.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Regal is good at everything he does. I think he will do just fine behind a headset.

I haven't seen NXT since the second season, if that. I only know who Darren Young and Lucky Cannon are, Seen Byron Saxton once, and wasn't impressed with what I saw. I got flashbacks of Abraham Washington when I first seen him.

Aniking

Reaction score
I just finished watching the first episode of NXT5 and it wasn't that bad, although I usually don't mind watching any of the NXTs (keep in mind, I didn't watch a single episode of the Diva's season).

Show started with the Pros being introduced, so nothing that flash.

First match was Darren Young vs. Jacob Novak, which Young won.

Next up was an Obstacle Course, which Darren Young also won. The crowd were really behind Young and loved the fact he won, so that's a big plus for him already.

Final match of the night was Titus O'Neill vs. Lucky Cannon, which O'Neill won after Hornswoggle interfered. Maybe O'Neill isn't screwed after all if the WWE are gonna have Hornswoggle interfere in his matches.

After tonight's episode, Darren Young is the frontrunner. Now as for Regal on commentary, he did a great job. It was a very welcome change from the usual Cole talking shit or Matthews bagging Grisham over and over.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Pros are just a lineup of jobbers. Surprised Funaki isn't one of them.

Regal on commentary is a good move though. Hopefully he'll get a good run.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
It's pretty obvious that WWE officials don't care about this show at all. Much more focus and effort is going into Tough Enough, so just a having a show that will utilize low card talent is actually a good thing. Atleast these guys will get more exposure with this show then they would jobbing on Raw or Smackdown.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Not even bother going to watch this. It lacks Percy Watson and idk why considering the FCW officials are high on him. I had the unfortunate experience of seeing a divas edition being taped and everyone in the crowd was just occupied by something else.

Aniking

Reaction score
If anybody was wondering why the WWE chose the 6 Rookies that they did, here's my reasons why. I thought they had more than that to choose from, but it was actually a pretty easy decision.

Season 1

David Otunga (2nd), Justin Gabriel (3rd), Heath Slater (4th) & Daniel Bryan (7th)​
All of the above superstars have appeared frequently on RAW or Smackdown since the end of NXT1. All have been champions and all have futures with the company that's for sure.

Skip Sheffield (6th)​
Was a big part of the Nexus as he was the main muscle but has been out injured since August I think. Apparently Vince McMahon has major confidence in Sheffield, so when he returns after Wrestlemania he will likely be used prominently on RAW.

Michael Tarver (7th)​
Tarver was beginning to build a reputation for himself and was just beginning to garner frequent heat from the crowd before being injured. He has made a few backstage cameos for both brands recently, which suggested the WWE could have something going for him (or at least he's in their minds) but he has since been moved back to FCW. I think the WWE may have something planned for him, so if that's the case NXT5 would just hinder his progress.

Darren Young (5th)​
Being kicked out of the Nexus just weeks after it's inception had Young's career on the ropes, for a while he was nowhere to be found. He started making appearances on Superstars, wrestling some good matches, but they weren't frequent enough. It was obvious from the beginning that the WWE had absolutely nothing for Young, but they knew he had potential and deserved something. NXT5 is his chance to shine and really earn himself a following, so he was the logical choice from this season.

Season 2

Michael McGillicutty (2nd), Alex Riley (3rd) & Husky Harris (4th)​
McGillicutty & Harris were members of the Nexus but have now been "put on the shelf" thanks to being punted by Randy Orton. WWE already have plans for McGillicutty as he is being "re-packaged" and Harris is being given more time to develop, so NXT5 would be a major step back for both. As for Riley, he was the WWE Champion's protege for months and is now being re-packaged also, so he has a bright future as well.

Percy Watson (5th)​
Watson has been wrestling dark match after dark match, and winning them all as well, and is also considered the most athletic performer that FCW has. Due to the constant dark matches, it's clear the WWE has plans to elevate him to the main roster after Wrestlemania, so NXT5 would be a step back.

Lucky Cannon (6th) & Titus O'Neil (8th)​
These two have been chosen for NXT5 and have had some success in FCW since NXT2 ended. Cannon has become a heel and using his good looks as the base of his heel persona, helping him become the current FCW Heavyweight Champion. Titus is one half of the current FCW Tag Team Champions, so both men must have impressed if they are being rewarded with titles, so being chosen for NXT5 makes sense.

Eli Cottonwood (7th)​
Now Cottonwood would have been up for consideration for a spot, but I am very glad he didn't get it. Not a fan of him at all as he is a bad wrestler, is bad on the mic and is not entertaining in the slightest.

Season 4

Brodus Clay (2nd)​
Clay was clearly the standout on NXT4 and is currently Alberto Del Rio's "enforcer" I guess you could put it. He's really in the same position Riley was with The Miz and has also proven he has what it takes to make a name for himself in the WWE.

Derrick Bateman (3rd)​
Often the crowd favourite, Bateman is entertaining, charismatic, is great on the mic and is a decent wrestler. It's clear WWE may have something planned for him if he is not on NXT5, so that is very good to hear. I wouldn't like to see him on NXT5 anyway, he has proven himself enough in my eyes.

Byron Saxton (4th), Conor O'Brian (5th) & Jacob Novak (6th)​
These three are all fresh in our minds and didn't make enough of an impact to warrant being in consideration for a future spot on a WWE roster. I see Saxton as the one with the least to prove, Novak with a lot to prove and obviously O'Brian would be in the middle. After seeing O'Brian's video package, I now wish him the most success as it sounds like he has had a very tough life. Personally I'm a sapp for heart-warming stories like O'Brian's, but he still needs to step it up. All three make plenty of sense.

Overall, I think Lucky Cannon and Titus O'Neil were obvious choices as they seem to be two of the three best that FCW has, which means they must have improved since NXT2. Byron Saxton, Conor O'Brian and Jacob Novak would've been in the same position as Cannon & O'Neil - looking to improve in hope of another future opportunity - if NXT5 wasn't a redemption season. Clearly Young is just being given a lifeline, which I would rather than have Cottonwood appear.

I still think that Cannon or Saxton will win the season, but Young has definitely put a strong case forward already and is leading the competition after the first week.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Nice breakdown Ak. I agree with all that you said and the reasonings are all valid for why WWE would use these wrestlers again.

By the way I just read what the winner of NXT:Redemption receives;

pwinsider said:
It was announced on tonight’s episode of NXT Redemption that not only will the winner of this season get a spot on NXT: Season 6, he will also get to pick his own pro.

What a crap prize. So if they win they don't get a spot on the main roster they get to be on NXT for the third time. Also when they say they get to pick their own pro it better be a bigger name then they have this year, an actual mainevent would be nice.

Aniking

Reaction score
Just finished watching the second episode of NXT5.

The Talk the Talk challenge was up first and, of course, the WWE Universe was brought in to make it a popularity contest as usual. The biggest cheer was for Titus O'Neil, although I felt that Darren Young should've won it. O'Neil wins 2 Redemption points.

First match of the night was Darren Young vs. Conor O'Brian, which Young won.

Second match of the night was Byron Saxton & Yoshi Tatsu vs. Lucky Cannon & Tyson Kidd, which Cannon & Kidd won.

The Keg Carry is up last to wrap up the show. They showed a replay of O'Neil falling over doing the challenge in NXT2. All Rookies got times under 10 seconds, except for Lucky Cannon who decided to recite a poem to Maryse rather than compete. O'Neil won this challenge as well and gets another 2 Redemption points.

The win/loss standings look like this:

Darren Young: 2-0 (3 Redemption points)
Titus O'Neil: 1-0 (4 Redemption points)
Lucky Cannon: 1-1
Byron Saxton: 0-1
Conor O'Brian: 0-1
Jacob Novak: 0-1

Clearly Young and O'Neil are in the lead, but I think Cannon isn't far behind as he is beginning to build a name for himself. The other three haven't done anything of note as of yet.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Looks like that prize is a dead give away at this being the last season of NXT.

SpectreVLV

Reaction score
Maybe NXT Season 6 is the last NXT for a while, since this season works towards the next. I plan to watch this season of NXT regardless of what people say about it.
I personally see a lot in Darren Young. This wrestler looks like he would be able to roll with the top guys in the company.

-Doz-

Reaction score
Oh and the reward ofbeing able to pick your own pro is limited... to the pros from this season of NXT.

Kind of sad when Chavo is the best choice from both a real and a kayfabe perspective.