• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Rating things on the scale of 1-10 is fine by me, as is the 1-5 scale, but if either 5 or 10 is set as the ultimate rating, then giving it a 6 or 11 is silly in my book.
Did you not read what I said? Dave updates his rating system when he feels the need to. Usually once every 15 years, and adds a star when he feels it is needed. He liked the match so much he updated HIS system. Nothing silly about that at all. These rating systems are by no means static, set in stone and meant to stay the way they are forever. Kudos to any reviewer who feels the need to update their system because they feel that the quality of the medium they cover is improving.

Stopspot

Reaction score
How'd u rate this one, and how'd u analyze this match? And why is this match so great in your opinion?
I told you earlier in this thread that I gave it 5 stars. I don't usually go into the stars system since I do not operate on it when rating whatever wrestling I watch. But in my system this match would translate to a five star match.

It was great because it was a main event spectacle with coherent storytelling running throughout the match, it was smartly put together with a clear red thread and psychology to it. It was a insane mad man throwing everything he had at the undisputed top star of the company, who used all his ring savvy and knowledge to counter it and make the big comeback.

Reactions: Shayon

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
I told you earlier in this thread that I gave it 5 stars. I don't usually go into the stars system since I do not operate on it when rating whatever wrestling I watch. But in my system this match would translate to a five star match.

It was great because it was a main event spectacle with coherent storytelling running throughout the match, it was smartly put together with a clear red thread and psychology to it. It was a insane mad man throwing everything he had at the undisputed top star of the company, who used all his ring savvy and knowledge to counter it and make the big comeback.
But was it the perfect match that Dave said it was? There were comparatively so less near falls, also there was no chain wrestling, would you still rate it a five star rating?

The Gipper

The Gipper
Reaction score
I just watched it for the first time a couple of hours ago, and the honest answer is no. Partly because of the first 30-35 minutes. I wouldn't say it was outright boring but it was definitely wasn't interesting nor did it feel like they were building to something in particular so it was all moot in the end. Okada just feels so non-existent and like a non-factor and I've never found myself gripped by him in any of the matches I've watched so he was another major issue to me. Omega was very much the dominant personality and character here in terms of presence. Knowing the result, and most of the criticism for it as well seeing gifs spammed before I watched it, which is my fault because I don't watch NJPW normally, it means I can't give much of a fair assessment for this. I would have went with ****1/4 I would've liked Omega to win but I also don't want NJPW to have to rely on a Gaijin for their global expansion. Okada isn't the one I want to see pushing NJPW globally but still better than a gaijin.

Stopspot

Reaction score
But was it the perfect match that Dave said it was? There were comparatively so less near falls, also there was no chain wrestling, would you still rate it a five star rating?
Yes I would. Because I rated it as five stars based off of what I enjoy in wrestling.

How many times must I say that. There is no universal measuring stick to what makes a good wrestling match. Everyone has different things that they like in wrestling. I for one hate multiple near falls early on in a match. So having a bunch of those would take it down for me.

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
I just watched it for the first time a couple of hours ago, and the honest answer is no. Partly because of the first 30-35 minutes. I wouldn't say it was outright boring but it was definitely wasn't interesting nor did it feel like they were building to something in particular so it was all moot in the end. Okada just feels so non-existent and like a non-factor and I've never found myself gripped by him in any of the matches I've watched so he was another major issue to me. Omega was very much the dominant personality and character here in terms of presence. Knowing the result, and most of the criticism for it as well seeing gifs spammed before I watched it, which is my fault because I don't watch NJPW normally, it means I can't give much of a fair assessment for this. I would have went with ****1/4 I would've liked Omega to win but I also don't want NJPW to have to rely on a Gaijin for their global expansion. Okada isn't the one I want to see pushing NJPW globally but still better than a gaijin.
Completely agree with you, and that's exactly what I'm trying to say here, the majority of the match, the first 31 minutes of the entire 46 minutes was too slow, even for a below average match, let alone a classic. Let's be honest here, this match only picked up in the last 10 minutes to be maximum, and my problem is that it was rated a freaking 6 stars and was told that it may be the greatest match of all time in this business, which clearly is false

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
Yes I would. Because I rated it as five stars based off of what I enjoy in wrestling.

How many times must I say that. There is no universal measuring stick to what makes a good wrestling match. Everyone has different things that they like in wrestling. I for one hate multiple near falls early on in a match. So having a bunch of those would take it down for me.
Well, then what are your criteria for a five star wrestling match?

Stopspot

Reaction score
Well, then what are your criteria for a five star wrestling match?
That it makes me feel. That it has me invested. That it is fun to watch and well put together. That it has two performers that click and get it.

I give zero fucks about amount of pinfall attempts, chain wrestling or such. I care about the story being told and if it connects with me. Some matches are just good because they are technical master classes, some are good because they are hardcore brawls. But for me a true perfect match needs to fire on every cylinder and make me feel. I want to be invested. I want to suspend disbelief and escape reality for a short short time. Okada vs Omega did that for me. It made me feel, I was invested from start to stop, and their work was near perfect. And the few "botches" they had played into the match with Kenny's daredevil attitude and willingness to destroy himself to get the job done.

It was a brilliant match, it was the perfect way to top off a really good show.

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
That it makes me feel. That it has me invested. That it is fun to watch and well put together. That it has two performers that click and get it.

I give zero fucks about amount of pinfall attempts, chain wrestling or such. I care about the story being told and if it connects with me. Some matches are just good because they are technical master classes, some are good because they are hardcore brawls. But for me a true perfect match needs to fire on every cylinder and make me feel. I want to be invested. I want to suspend disbelief and escape reality for a short short time. Okada vs Omega did that for me. It made me feel, I was invested from start to stop, and their work was near perfect. And the few "botches" they had played into the match with Kenny's daredevil attitude and willingness to destroy himself to get the job done.

It was a brilliant match, it was the perfect way to top off a really good show.
Don't care about near falls and chain wrestling? Dude, those are the signatures of a classic wrestling match, although not brawls, but if it's wrestling that u want, u gotta have some really believable near falls and chain wrestling tops that

Stopspot

Reaction score
Don't care about near falls and chain wrestling? Dude, those are the signatures of a classic wrestling match, although not brawls, but if it's wrestling that u want, u gotta have some really believable near falls and chain wrestling tops that
You might do. I don't. I'm much more interested in the stories being told and wrestlers being able to broadcast their characters and visions to the world.

I like chain wrestling, but it is by no means a requirement for me to think a match is perfect.

Jun Akiyama vs Katsuyori Shibata is one of my all time favorite matches and features near zero chain wrestling. Instead it is a violent fucking brawl were Shibata kicks Akiyama so hard in the face with his first kick be busts him open. And it hits into top gear from there.

I also rated Tanahashi vs Naito from the same Wrestle Kingdom Show as Okada/omega as five stars, and that was a much calmer affair with some chain wrestling in it. But the story being told between those two that has been spun over near a decade made it perfect. Granted Tanahashi could put together a compelling match with a pillow.

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
You might do. I don't. I'm much more interested in the stories being told and wrestlers being able to broadcast their characters and visions to the world.

I like chain wrestling, but it is by no means a requirement for me to think a match is perfect.

Jun Akiyama vs Katsuyori Shibata is one of my all time favorite matches and features near zero chain wrestling. Instead it is a violent fucking brawl were Shibata kicks Akiyama so hard in the face with his first kick be busts him open. And it hits into top gear from there.

I also rated Tanahashi vs Naito from the same Wrestle Kingdom Show as Okada/omega as five stars, and that was a much calmer affair with some chain wrestling in it. But the story being told between those two that has been spun over near a decade made it perfect. Granted Tanahashi could put together a compelling match with a pillow.
So technically, according to u, which moves or part of the in ring work in this match compelled u to call this a near perfect match? Coz u know, wrestlers don't tell a story by words, but by their moves and in ring work

Stopspot

Reaction score
So technically, according to u, which moves or part of the in ring work in this match compelled u to call this a near perfect match? Coz u know, wrestlers don't tell a story by words, but by their moves and in ring work
I'm not sure if I am making myself clear. It's the story as a whole that is important. Not the small, intricate parts of it. If I spent all my time watching wrestling going over a match move for move, looking for irregularities or ways they did not add up. I would probably start hating wrestling and probably stop watching.

I call this match perfect because it had me invested from start to stop, and was a brilliant showcase of both mens strengths. I don't need to justify what makes me like a match more than any other match, because to you, it is probably not going to make sense. Since you're not me and have other tastes than me.

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I am making myself clear. It's the story as a whole that is important. Not the small, intricate parts of it. If I spent all my time watching wrestling going over a match move for move, looking for irregularities or ways they did not add up. I would probably start hating wrestling and probably stop watching.

I call this match perfect because it had me invested from start to stop, and was a brilliant showcase of both mens strengths. I don't need to justify what makes me like a match more than any other match, because to you, it is probably not going to make sense. Since you're not me and have other tastes than me.
I know that the measuring stick is different for each fan, but all I'm saying is that u may be invested in this match bcoz it was so much hyped, just like taker - hbk at Wm 25, the hype alone keeps u invested for the first quarter, but then it's the wrestling and variety of moves executed that keeps u up, if u don't believe me, go check won, it's rating system is also based on many things, among which the execution and the variety of moves is a strong deciding factor

Stopspot

Reaction score
I do not put much weight personally into individual moves for that to be a deciding factor for me. For me ringwork is a combination of the actual wrestling, and if it matches the character. Like if I am watching a Suwama (a All Japan wrestler) match, I am not going to put a lot of weight into his submission or chain wrestling because that is not his strong suit. He's much better as the big guy who beats people down with chops and strikes and a mix of suplexes and powerbombs.

You can know shit about chainwrestling and still be a great wrestler if you just play to your strengths and focus on that instead.