• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
You see, that just proves what we're saying. How much we like the match is individual. Because one of the things I liked about the match was that it was not a near fall fest from the beginning. I don't think a match has to be near fall after near fall in order to be a good match. This match had a gradual progression that I liked and that is why I rated it so high.
No it doesn't need to be a near fall fest, but I said it didn't have enough near falls either, if you look at it that way, then it may seem to just be a crazy spot fest! And it's not, similarly, a match with plenty of near falls isn't always a near fall fest,

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
No, it doesn't. Meltzer gave it 6 stars because he thinks he's cool. Still, it was an excellent match that I enjoyed, but a 6-star rating? Ridiculous.
No doubt about that it was an amazing match, a treat. But it was just that, not more not less. It was far from being the ultimate match that deserves a six star rating

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
No it doesn't need to be a near fall fest, but I said it didn't have enough near falls either, if you look at it that way, then it may seem to just be a crazy spot fest! And it's not, similarly, a match with plenty of near falls isn't always a near fall fest,
Matches don't need a bunch of near falls either. That comes down to taste

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
No doubt about that it was an amazing match, a treat. But it was just that, not more not less. It was far from being the ultimate match that deserves a six star rating

Yeah, as Jacob already said: "If the ultimate rating is 5 stars, giving a match 6 stars is just stupid." and I agree with that 100%.

Reactions: Shayon

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
The standard time limit for IWGP heavyweight matches is 60 minutes. Doesn't mean they have to go the full monty. But they have the option (in kayfabe)

Understandable, but unless my Japanese is off, they really don't talk about it that much.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Yeah, as Jacob already said: "If the ultimate rating is 5 stars, giving a match 6 stars is just stupid." and I agree with that 100%.
Lets not be stupid here.

Dave only rated matches on a 4 star scale up until the early-mid 90s. He's said it multiple times that he revisits his rating system from time to time to see if he needs to add a star or not.

TV shows, movies, books, comics, games and much more are often rated on 1-10 scales depending on who does the rating.

To say that 5 stars is the end all be all is not only restrictive, but sends the message of "My opinion matters more than anyone else".

If Dave wants to rate it six stars let him. It isn't like he is going to spam 6 star ratings all over shows. It will be treated as a new, harder level of greatness to achieve even above the 5 star rating on his scale.

Reactions: Shayon

Shayon

Jobber
Reaction score
Lets not be stupid here.

Dave only rated matches on a 4 star scale up until the early-mid 90s. He's said it multiple times that he revisits his rating system from time to time to see if he needs to add a star or not.

TV shows, movies, books, comics, games and much more are often rated on 1-10 scales depending on who does the rating.

To say that 5 stars is the end all be all is not only restrictive, but sends the message of "My opinion matters more than anyone else".

If Dave wants to rate it six stars let him. It isn't like he is going to spam 6 star ratings all over shows. It will be treated as a new, harder level of greatness to achieve even above the 5 star rating on his scale.
How'd u rate this one, and how'd u analyze this match? And why is this match so great in your opinion?

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Lets not be stupid here.

Rating things on the scale of 1-10 is fine by me, as is the 1-5 scale, but if either 5 or 10 is set as the ultimate rating, then giving it a 6 or 11 is silly in my book.