Understanding NJPW Promos?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

El Curry

Kids See Ghosts
Reaction score
I recently subscribed to NJPW World and began watching NJPW! I was wondering how any English viewers go about understand the promos from the NJPW wrestlers? I obviously understand the in-ring story and I have the English commentators, but once it heads backstage for post match interviews or in ring promos there isn't any subtitles and I'm a little lost.

Thoughts?

Asuka Lock

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
wAjEdMB
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
suicide
Favorite Wrestler
johnmorrison
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
at some point, i heard of a twitter account? that translates them in real time I did some digging and found this might not be the one I thought of but NJPW does follow it. TheLionMarks (@TheLionMarks) | Twitter

Reactions: El Curry

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Well, there are three options:
-Learn japanese (I'm doing it, so far can't understand much but I'll get there.
-Rely on Twitter translators as mentioned above, I think chris charlton (@reasonjp) does that at least for the in ring promos/important backstage stuff
-Join me in marveling at the complete absurdity of a company trying to enter the American market while not even providing subtitles for their promos.

There really is no excuse for NJPW not to provide this. Stardom, who's a much smaller company, has a decently translated webpage for their streaming service (unlike that automatic Google translator bullshit NJPW uses) and subtitles everything. On that point, they suck.

El Curry

Kids See Ghosts
Reaction score
Well, there are three options:
-Learn japanese (I'm doing it, so far can't understand much but I'll get there.
-Rely on Twitter translators as mentioned above, I think chris charlton (@reasonjp) does that at least for the in ring promos/important backstage stuff
-Join me in marveling at the complete absurdity of a company trying to enter the American market while not even providing subtitles for their promos.

There really is no excuse for NJPW not to provide this. Stardom, who's a much smaller company, has a decently translated webpage for their streaming service (unlike that automatic Google translator bullshit NJPW uses) and subtitles everything. On that point, they suck.
1. I've always wanted to learn Japanese anyway so eventually I'll tackle it.
2. Yeah, i found that account. I'll use it for now.
3.Are you talking about NJPW World website? because that has English? But I agree it's insane to me that there aren't any subtitles. Like how hard is it?

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
My post was probably a lot funnier in my head. I can't assume everyone on here knows that I work as a Japanese translator and that's why I can understand them all. It's not that I have any great understanding of context or anything (which is what I assumed you meant), just 10 years of studying the language.

Asuka Lock

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
wAjEdMB
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
suicide
Favorite Wrestler
johnmorrison
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
My post was probably a lot funnier in my head. I can't assume everyone on here knows that I work as a Japanese translator and that's why I can understand them all. It's not that I have any great understanding of context or anything (which is what I assumed you meant), just 10 years of studying the language.
so in theroy, you could basically give us the key points? nice...

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
I complained about it on at least three forums this week, and apparently someone in NJPW picked up on it:

1. I've always wanted to learn Japanese anyway so eventually I'll tackle it.
2. Yeah, i found that account. I'll use it for now.
3.Are you talking about NJPW World website? because that has English? But I agree it's insane to me that there aren't any subtitles. Like how hard is it?
Yeah, there's an English option for NJPW World but it's a very poor translation.

Reactions: El Curry

El Curry

Kids See Ghosts
Reaction score
I complained about it on at least three forums this week, and apparently someone in NJPW picked up on it:

Yeah, there's an English option for NJPW World but it's a very poor translation.

Yeah all of them are translated!

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
so in theroy, you could basically give us the key points? nice...

In actuality, yes but I don't always watch all of the post match stuff. NJPW does a really good job telling the story in the ring. But if you ever find something that is not translated that you need to understand, I'm more than happy to help... but that means something small... don't ask for a full promo or a match commentary because I don't have the free time for that

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Kojima's promo was very good, Tenzan's was also very emotional and very good, Taichi's was fantastic, Makabe calling Cody Rhodes "SHIT DICK" was the best moment for him in all of 2017 and Suzuki's promo, despite already being fun to watch just based on his voice inflection, is amazing when translated. He kinda got me interested in his rematch with Goto of all people.