Tokyo to host 2020 Olympic Games

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
BBC said:
Tokyo has been chosen to host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games ahead of Istanbul and Madrid.
The Japanese capital won a final round of voting by International Olympic Committee (IOC) members in Buenos Aires to beat Istanbul by 60 votes to 36.

Madrid had earlier been eliminated in a first-round ballot.

The announcement was met with jubilant scenes in Japan, as Tokyo prepares to host the event for the first time since 1964.

When IOC president Jacques Rogge - who will retire after 12 years in the role on Tuesday - announced the winning city, the Tokyo delegation jumped to their feet in celebration and waved the Japan flag.

A number of them were overcome with emotion and wept, following two years of intense lobbying.

"I would like to thank everyone in the Olympic movement and we will host a wonderful Olympic Games," a delighted Prime Minster Shinzo Abe said.

Bid leader Tsunekazu Takeda added: "It is a great honour that Tokyo has been chosen. The first thing I will do when I return is to thank all of Japan."

London mayor Boris Johnson sent "huge congratulations to Tokyo for winning the honour of hosting the greatest sporting spectacular on the planet".

He continued: "I am sure that, like London, your great city will put on an extraordinary event. This is a magical moment of celebration to savour before the years of hard work ahead."

The decision means Tokyo - which campaigned with the message that "the Olympics will be safe in our hands" - will become the first Asian city to host the Games twice.

They were also awarded the event in 1940 but the Games were cancelled because of World War II.

Not really that surprising that Tokyo was picked ahead of Istanbul and Madrid. Madrid don't have the money to spend and they were trying to push for a cheap games where they wouldn't have to spend much money on new stadiums. Would have ended up like Athens in 2004 which was terrible. Turkey was never going to win it because of the safety aspect, they wouldn't want to take another risk with Rio being the one before it. Tokyo is the safe choice and I look forward to seeing what they can create.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Thing is there were issues with all three but to me Tokyo seems a good choice. They tend to be a very organised city who will be able to put the necessary financial muscle behind the games without over spending. Friendly culture too so should be a good fit.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Japan = honor. Should be a very honorable games. Plus... come on Turkey didn't have a real chance. I almost would have went with Madrid but I didn't know they wanted to go cheap on it. Glad they didn't get it.

Gonna be a nice one in Japan.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I know its a long way off but I wouldn't mind attending some of these games, never been to Japan, and think it would be a good experience.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I am tempted to head over to Tokyo as well, not interested in going to Rio at all but everyone that I know that has been to Tokyo can't say enough good things about it. Looking forward to seeing what innovations they can come up with in their stadiums.