Target Planning to Stop Selling Physical Media Online and In-Store by 2025 - Rumor

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deadd2009

Horror Movie Guru
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
zEZtX3o

According to a new rumor, retailer giant Target is planning to stop selling physical media both in-store and online by 2025 in what would be a substantial blow to the physical media market, including the physical games market. Each year, the gains of the digital market chip away at the health and wealth of the physical media market. In 2024, you may be hard pressed to find physical media for your favorite movie or TV show. The physical games market has faired far better, but this would be a blow to it as Target is one of the biggest retailers in the United States. Further, it would be a continuation of reports of Walmart and more doing the exact same thing in the near future.

As for the rumor itself, it comes the way of popular X account "President Of Physical Media." As the name suggests, they specialize in physical media, and thus it is reasonable to expect this specific scoop from them. Despite this, it's unclear how extensive or reliable their track record is, so keep this in mind as well.

The rumor doesn't say much beyond noting that "Target sources" have told President of Physical Media that the retailer is planning to stop physical media both online and in-store by 2025, likely because of the declining market and the cost of selling physical media compared to digital media.

For what it is worth, while this is symbolically a big deal, given the size and stature or Target as a retailer, they have not been carrying much physical media the past few years. Suffice to say, if this rumor is true, it's not going to surprise many.

At the moment of publishing, Target has not addressed this rumor in any capacity. We don't particularly expect this to change for a handful of reasons, but if it does, we will be sure to update the story accordingly, regardless of whether the comment or statement is salient. In the meantime, and as always, feel free to leave a comment or two letting us know what you think. What do you think of this potential decision from Target? Is it the right call?

Target -- for all those who may not know -- is an American retail corporation that operates a massive chain of discount department stores and hypermarkets. The company is based out of Minneapolis, Minnesota and is the seventh-largest retailer in the United States.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I mean that'd be fucking disastrous for business and would lead to further closures.

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
The Target I work at our physical media section has started dwindling down. We still have movies but not as wide of a selection like it used to be unfortunately, so this news doesn’t surprise me.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
The irony is they’ll probably keep vinyl records

Butters

That's Me!
Reaction score
Best Buy has already started this, physical media is dead sadly.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
Physical media as a whole is dying.

Music, games, etc are all going away.

And it sucks because you could buy something from the App Store and and it can be gone a few months later

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Yeah at the very least Physical media was a proof of ownership and if the powers that be decided to arbitrarily make it unavailable all over the internet, you at least still had it.

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
Theirs something about owning your favorite Movie and TV Show to me and to hear this News it's no shock but it still sad to hear. Now all you give me your Physical Media so I can take care of them.

Reactions: Cwalker

Butters

That's Me!
Reaction score
At least on most digital stores if you buy it and they remove it you can still download it going forward. I have a few movies and games you cant buy anymore but i still have it available

Reactions: Apoho Creed

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
So we just going to lose the ability to actually own stuff.......be at the online will of corporate stooges......not too mention the fact that this means stores are going to be meaningless and alot of people losing their jobs.

Who would've thought Wall-E was the movie that predicted the future right.

• Wow
Reactions: Apoho Creed

Butters

That's Me!
Reaction score
I doubt many people really purchase this stuff anyway. Any time a movie comes out now the first thing people ask is, "where is it streaming?" they don't want to buy it. even with video games more and more people are just using xbox game pass instead of buying games.

Obviously, there's still gonna be the die hards(i still purchase movies/tv shows/games) but I don't think it's a huge travesty or anything that it's going this way.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Literally the only media that holds value now is Vinyl records it’s crazy how expensive they are

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
I still buy physical copies of movies online through Amazon or Target online. I’ve been looking at places like eBay as well since my store has less and less of a movie selection these days.

Butters

That's Me!
Reaction score
I basically stopped buying physical when FOX stopped putting their comedies on blurays. my physical collection of Always Sunny seasons was jank as hell. Seasons 1-3 I think it was were on DVD then it went to bluray for a few seasons and then back to DVD.

Another movie that wasn't really popular that I liked was called The Sun is Also a Star and it was only released on DVD but you could buy it digitally in HD.

Deadd2009

Horror Movie Guru
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team