Spoilers: Top TNA Veteran May Have Finished Up at Thursday's Impact Wrestling Taping

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Re: Spoilers: Top TNA Veteran May Have Finished Up at Thursday's Impact Wrestling Tap

AJ Styles is just proof of wrestling isn't the only thing that matters. Great athletes ain't shit if they don't have a dynamic personality that people want to see.

He is a great indy guy tho, if this is legit, he'll make decent money on the indies for atleast 2 years, milk the fuck out of it and get a real job.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Re: Spoilers: Top TNA Veteran May Have Finished Up at Thursday's Impact Wrestling Tap

How is it a mistake to not pay Styles what's possibly one of their biggest deals?

They ey can't justify it anymore. He has been their guy, their heart and soul in an impact zone people don't pay for tickets to watch, ppvs that sold so bad they had to put them on TV, and Bound for Bankruptcy. He's taking them nowhere and it's not like. Bret and Shawn in the 90s, this is like JJ and Steiner at top of WCW

So it is AJ's fault they dropped Impact tapings inside a free venue for years?, It's his fault that the bookers can't put on a decent show?, and his fault that they do not do proper promotions for their PPVs?, advertising online and through social media only targets the people that already know and follow the company

AJ is the only home grown guy to garner any attention for the company, and has got more attention to TNA than many, many of the so called "legends" they bring in(considering Hogan, Angle, & Sting are the only ones who got more attention than Christian did). They are over spending on these legends, and not focusing on the guys that can make their company. Just remember the likes of Eddie, Benoit, Jericho, Kane, Taker, Austin, & Triple H all failed to get any attention for WCW in their days, but all became some of the most memorable, and biggest draws WWE ever had.

Its a creative issue, not the worker.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus

AJ has been there for 12 years, won everything been aligned or against every one, cover of video games, spike TV and best damn ads, Bound For Glory appearances, live events, world tours ... Maybe he's just not that special and they can't justify paying him like a star when he does nothing a star does

I mean hell in his time there you can list off guys who've stood out more with less
- Killings
- Brown
- Joe
- Morgan
- Storm
- Roode

CGS

Reaction score

Have any of those guys really stood out more than AJ Though? Out of all of those guys the only I can really say possibly yes too is Joe. Storm is not far off though and even then I'd still say AJ stands out much more.While Roode has been great too I feel he's an easy answer considering all he has done in the last 3 years. At least Storm can be traced back to AMW.

Fact is while he hasn't been as great as he once was the dude pretty much became TNA's hulk Hogan. Even people who didn't watch TNA at all had heard of the dude.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi

Think you went way, way overboard with that last statement.

CGS

Reaction score

Not really. Unless you think I'm trying to say he has hogans level of popularity.

In terms of actual star power he's no where near most WWE guys. But he's arguably the biggest name TNA Has actually had in their history. Like Hogan (unless you wanna argue it) was for WWE. Plus a lot of wrestling fans (not so much outside wrestling) who never watched a single TNA show would probably have heard of AJ Styles.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Yeah, a bit overkill on that, when I think TNA, I still think Jeff Jarrett. You mention X-Division, then I think AJ Styles. He isn't the steak, he is just a garnish. Nobody pays to see them, but they do go home happy because of them.

CGS

Reaction score

Each to their own. I'd agree the X division (which in fairness AJ had a lot to do with as well in the early days) is a huge selling point. But in terms of superstars I'd say AJ overall managed to be a bigger name than Jarrett. Guy just feels like Mr TNA for me.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

He could be Mr. anything, it still doesn't mean Mr. Successful tbh.

Which is what the second page was about.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus

I can tell people who didn't see the Nashville days. Ron killings easily stood out more as KKrush and the Truth than AJ Styles. Monty Brown is one of the biggest travesties in history of the company, as he was madly over and the number one contender, then turned JJ lackey.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus

- Regarding AJ Styles leaving TNA, it is not part of the storyline that they began a few months ago. Things could change between now and December 16th but Styles is indeed leaving TNA if they don't.

Styles is currently taking independent bookings and word is that he's asking between $3,000 and $4,000 per appearance. It was noted that Styles' scheduled Q&A tour of the UK was pushed back due to a Diamond Dallas Page tour taking place around the same time but another reason for the delay is that TNA's lawyers sent legal letters to the promoters to make sure they weren't infringing on anything TNA owns rights to.

The main problem between TNA and AJ is money. TNA simply would not give him what he wanted. Now there's a feeling within TNA, with so many contracts coming up in the next year, that a lot of guys are going to end up singing deals for less than they were previously making just to keep their jobs. The feeling is if TNA wouldn't give AJ Styles more money, then they probably won't be giving any one else more money.

pwinsider
smartest thing Dixie did in years as it sets a precedent across the board of what to expect

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi

For years I hadn't even heard of TNA, let alone AJ Styles or any of the guys there. When the guys left the WWE, I had no idea they went to TNA I figured they just stopped wrestling.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus

Cox used to run the ads for their ppvs during raw, same with the short lived wwa tour which is actually where Styles, JJ, Road Dogg, and all were working before TNA

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5

AJ Styles got me in to TNA. When they picked up Sting, it was just more reason to watch. I was a huge fan around that time. NWA TNA will still be one of my favorite all time eras of wrestling. The Truth Ron Killings was amazing, Monty Brown was one of my favorites, AMW, Team Canada, Abyss with James Mitchell, Christian Cage and Tomko. It was just a great roster, and a great product but now...its hard to believe it was actually the same company.

I will say though that AJ Styles was their go to guy. In my mind he'll always be Mr. TNA. He's the only reason I started watching, but he's not enough of a star to be the star by himself. He needs a good supporting cast, like he did in NWATNA.

CGS

Reaction score

He could be Mr. anything, it still doesn't mean Mr. Successful tbh.

Which is what the second page was about.

What do you really deem as successful then? because if anything he's been much more successful than most of these big name signings they have made over the years. Only guys I can think of who genuinely can say they helped the company as much is possibly Angle & Sting. Even then in the long time i'd still say AJ has done more to help the company than both guys.

In terms of the last few years since i'd say 2009/2010 the company as a whole has just been on one huge downward fall than really can't be blamed on one man. Plus you have to consider the fact that not only do WWE control damn near the entire wrestling market but wrestling as a whole itself just isn't really profitable anymore. Then as mention earlier TNA themselves just haven't made things better. Again blaming this all on AJ seems a little to much and using a company wide downfall to justify getting rid of him seems a bit too much.

Last edited: