WrestleMania Shawn Michaels turned down match with AJ styles.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
WWE News: The Original Plans For AJ Styles At Wrestlemania 33 - IWNerd.com

AJ Styles is scheduled to face off against Shane McMahon at Wrestlemania 33. This is a match that has gained a lot of criticism from fans who don’t think that they are a good pairing. After the year AJ has had, WWE fans wanted to see him face an incredible wrestler on the big stage.

It turns out that AJ Styles was originally planned to face an incredible wrestler at Wrestlemania 33, it just fell through…..

The ‘Heartbreak Kid’ Shawn Michaels appeared on the Sam Roberts Wrestling Podcast and revealed that WWE wanted him to face AJ Styles at Wrestlemania 33 but he ultimately declined.

“I could’ve had that match, they did not have an opponent for AJ at Wrestlemania”

Shawn would go on to say that he was approached to take on AJ because fans wanted to see the match. It also had to do with them not having any other plans for AJ at the time. Michaels declined, wanting to stay retired.

“I wish that man was here 10 years ago man, I really do”

Looks like we were closer than you think to a dream match at Wrestlemania 33. If you hate the AJ and Shane pairing, this probably pisses you off even more.

Wow, I'm surprised they actually considered HBK to work with AJ...holy shit. Makes me not as mad about AJ/Shane. It seems like they really wanted him in a high profile match as if they respect the mans talent, who would've known!

Geek773

First RWK Euro Champion
Banned
Reaction score
I mean it's better than them just saying "yup, Shane is the best opponent for this indy flippy kid AJ" but OMFG WHY SHAWN WHY

like they even did the thing with Undertaker threatening whoever cost SD at Survivor Series... AJ could've challenged Shawn, who would've declined because Taker retired him. Then Taker blesses HBK to come back for one more to take on AJ, then Shawn accepts. IT WOULD'VE BEEN SO GOOD

obviously, I respect Michaels' respect for his retirement and I'm happy that he's so happy with life after the ring but it frustrates me so much that this all time great match could've happened, but instead we're going to get an old man who doesn't wrestle regularlynever wrestled regularly being on the level of the best alive, and having a match that doesn't begin to do AJ justice. :(

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
The only downside is that its clear we're never getting that match :(

But yeah, it's cool if its true that they wanted to give AJ that much importance.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I was never a big HBK fan but the match would have been good had HBK been younger when they signed AJ. We all know he is in no shape to get back in the ring and I am glad he turned it down. Must have been hard because he has stated that he misses the action in the ring.

alexb

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
This is kind of old news since the rumors started about a month before the Rumble after AJ had made a comment about it during some interview when asked (I think I recall some kind of poster that was then proven to be just fan made) but nonetheless, it would certainly be one of the biggest dream matches. HBK has been very clear about not wanting to return but, hey, if there's like a 0,01% of it happening (being he can always come back if he wants to), never say never...

Reactions: Prince Bálor

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
HBK coming out of retirement would of just felt wrong. Same with Stone Cold. When you have a last great match like they did, it's really a shame to come back for one more

Eva Maryse

The Artiste
Reaction score
Seems a bit silly to plan a match for a guy thats retired. Shawns retirement was a real high note as well, and a great match to go out on. There's no need to tarnish that.