Royal Rumble 2010 Review (Opinions Wanted)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

xXSlaveXx

Reaction score
wwe-royal-rumble-2010-replay.jpg

Hey guys, welcome to my first review of the year. I am collecting each pay-per-view this year so I can watch them whenever I want and I thought I'd contribute and write a review on Royal Rumble 2010. How does it stack up?

ECW Championship: Christian (C) Vs Jackson
ECW-Champion-Christian-vs.-Ezekiel-Jackson.jpeg

The agility and speed of Christian against the power of Zeke combined with the presence of Regal would prove to make a awesome match. Christian gets some momentum in the opening, and pulls off a nice dive onto Jackson from the corner turnbuckle. Zeke begins to take control with repeated punches and clotheslines, one of which looked pretty cool. He went for a swing and Christian ducked, but he went back with the same arm and took him down, well rehearsed. The champ sells the challenger's power well, until he is thrown to the outside where Regal predictably takes a shot. After he does the crowd goes nuts when the ref sends him to the back.

A bunch of chain wrestling and a few spots later (involving a great DDT from Christian) we end up with Jackson working on the back of Christian and shoving him repeatedly into the corner until Christian slips through his hold and pulls off a brutal Killswitch, for the first defense of the night. Good pace, well worked solid effort by both men. However it lacked spots from Jackson and there wasn't much excitement in the match but it's worth a sincere 7.5/10.

US Championship: Miz (C) Vs MVP
The-Miz-defeated-MVP3.JPG

Back and forth action with Miz and MVP trading blows, until Montel gets big momentum and delivers a pair of suplexes to the champ. Miz shoves him off the ring apron as he collides with the announce table and Miz goes on the offensive and brawls on the outside, before sending him back into the ring due to the ref’s count where he gets the upper hand and the match slows down a little. Miz gets in a submission hold and keeps MVP down for a long while uintil he stand up and it takes even longer for him to get out of it, the submission dragged out a little. MVP goes ballin’ and tries to follow up with the Playmaker but Miz kicks out. Later on MVP reverses the skull crushing finale and goes for three successive pins in a row the champ kicking out of each one.

MVP is in total control until he ends up on the ring apron and after putting a leg over the rope he is rolled up with a small package by Miz to pull off a unexpected defense. MVP looks shocked and plays out his emotions well as Miz showboats and gets in his face. Miz talks himself into a Playmaker as the challenger walks out of the ring pissed off. It was a little basic but well performed and both men demonstrated some great grappling. The story telling was the best part and it gave us a sign of things to come. 7.5 again, because this lacked the excitement.

WWE Championship: Sheamus (C) Vs Orton
WWE-Champion-Sheamus-vs.-Randy-Orton.jpeg

Heel Vs Heel matches are always brutal, and this stayed strong to the formula. Orton gets the match started on a good note when he delivers a great drop kick (considering how big he is) before the duo lock up again, allowing Sheamus to gain the upper hand when Orton rolls out of the ring. Sheamus uppercuts Orton which sends him to the floor, and then proceeds to smash Orton’s hand into the steel steps which was well sold. More dominance from the champ until the challenger targets the legs of Sheamus. Orton manages to lose the momentum and gets shoved into the turnbuckle repeatedly, making both men look fairly even which made for a better atmosphere.

The two exchange submission holds to stretch out some length in the match which did appeal for me, as well as repeated punches as they take it in turns to excite the crowd. Orton delivers his signature DDT which puts the crowd behind him even further sending them crazy when he attempts a punt. Cody Rhodes jumps the security rail and beats down Sheamus which leads to Orton executing the RKO. However, he is disqualified because of the Legacy interference. Orton goes insane and beats Rhodes down screaming at him until Ted appears and holds him back. He then inserts his dominance into the pair and shouts “You’re done!†to both of them. Legacy are wimping out in the corner but Sheamus catches Orton off guard and delivers a pump kick to set up the disbanding of Legacy. Physical match up with a great finish making both men look strong, as well as the crowd being well behind the match. 8/10 because it was a solid effort with some great storytelling and a good amount of spots.

Womens Championship: Mcool (C) Vs James
royal-rumble-mickie-james-michelle-mccool.jpg

Never been a fan of the divas because their storylines are a little pathetic and not really believable. Michelle cuts a confident promo before the match and makes a decent attempt at playing heel. Mickie James comes out and creams the “Piggy†impersonator that came out, and sends the champ on the defensive and pulls off a upset hitting her finisher in a matter of seconds. After three title defenses in a row, it was great to see one change hands. Lay-Cool get food shoved in their faces to end the feud with James taking the belt and showing the pair up. An extremely short match but the promo and buildup gave it a few marks. 3/10, but the enjoyment was there.

World Heavyweight Championship: Undertaker (C) Vs Mysterio
World+Heavyweight+Champion+Undertaker+vs.+Rey+Mysterio+-+World+Heavyweight+Championship+Match.jpeg

Unfortunately Mysterio against any other big man is rather predictable. The bigger man dominates him and Rey has to fight the odds and show a decent showing. The result was predictable however because of the Shawn Michael events. Regardless, Undertaker manages to get a decent showing considering his age. He slams Rey into the barriers and throws him out of the ring right at the start. Rey makes use of his agility and delivers several blows to the head before being punched out of the ring once again and falling victim to the leg drop. Taker catches Rey’s 619 attempt and reverses it into a tombstone which the crowd goes nuts for, but Rey flails about and escapes the finisher. Mysterio goes for a moonsault outside the ring and lands it well and then gets shoved into the barricade. Taker and Rey work very well together, and work to each others strengths. Taker’s got a little blood on him, but they trade blows and continue things back and forth. Mysterio begins to look like he’s taking the belt, doing a springboard leg drop and then later hitting a 619, a drop kick followed up by a consecutive 619. He attempts one last move but the Phenom catches him in the Last Ride, for the fourth and final defense of the night.

Great match considering how bland some Rey matches can be. He takes Taker to the limit and the strength and speed of each star was highlighted and a fantastic finish put Mysterio away…8/10.

30-Man Royal Rumble Match
Alright so it’s the main event of the night and it’s once year…it’s the over the top royal. As this is such a long match it would be very hard to review the whole thing, so I’m going to review the three “parts†of the match. Each part has a turning point that splits the match apart, so I’ll go through each one.

Ziggler and Bourne start things off and open the match very well, until CM Punk comes in alongside Serena. He eliminates the duo very quickly and cuts an epic promo straight edge style. He is then “rudely interrupted†and goes through Khali, Phoenix, JTG and Ryder. HHH comes out and the crowd goes nuts, tired of Punk’s epic promos. Drew Mcintrye comes out very slowly and draws the Game’s attention and charges into the ring when he is occupied…HHH reverses the GTS and eliminates Punk and begins brawling with Mcintrye and Dibiase who double team him in the corner. The ring begins to fill up when Morrison enters and hits the starship pain on Drew. Kane makes his appearance and tries to eliminate Dibiase until Rhodes enters…

The pair divide and conquer, dominating the competition but no one is eliminated. MVP comes out with Miz behind him knocks him out with the belt, still angry over the match earlier. MVP doesn’t get to enter, and is replaced by Carlito two minutes later. He hits three backstabbers in a row but takes a Skull Crushing Finale from Miz. He doesn’t last very long however as MVP charges in taking advantage but he sacrifices himself to eliminate his rival, they both go flying over the rope. Hardy comes out to a massive pop but Kane eliminates him but then is eliminated by HHH straight after. Shawn Michaels comes out and he and HHH clean house. Carlito, Rhodes, Dibiase, Morrison and Mcintyre all eliminated by DX. Cena comes out to break up the party however…

He dominates the team with numerous shoulder blocks and a double five knuckle shuffle. HHH saves Michaels from being eliminated but he has other plans, and sweet chin music’s his partner out of the ring. Benjamin and Yoshi Tatsu are disposed of by Cena but Big Show comes in and nearly triggers a earthquake much to Cena’s annoyance. Mark Henry and Chris Masters both come into the ring, however both of them along with Big Show are eliminated as R Truth takes the largest athlete and strongest man out of the match. Swagger enters and nearly eliminates Michaels but the ring evens out when Kingston enters the mix and eliminates Swagger and R-Truth. Things get even better when Jericho appears and beats the crap out of everyone and hits the code breaker on Cena when he eliminates Kingston. Edge’s music plays and everyone goes insane playing off the shock return. The commentators are still excited even after Batista appears and eliminates HBK who is full of emotion. Cena eliminates Batista but Edge clotheslines Cena and wins…ROYAL RUMBLE 2010! 8/10 because it was a little short compared to the others.

Edge-won-Royal-Rumble-2010-Match10.JPG

Legacy feud all set up and four champions retaining their belts. Strong showings from all of the guys who worked their asses off to make a solid show. Edge inserts himself into Wrestlemania 26 while numerous feuds are bound to be continued…great show and maybe there were one or two matches that lacked a little…but the quality and confident performing of the Royal Rumble talent of 2010 made it worth buying. 8/10, final score.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Right first off nice review, well written and with lots of enthuiasm! It was a strong Rumble this year, as it was last year. Although I did think the Rumble match itself was better in 09. I think you were a maybe a little kind to some of the matches.

My ratings;

ECW Title
7.5/10
I agree with you it was a very smooth match, with some great mat wrestling, along with nice areial action, and bit of brawling. And Jackson moves very well for a man his size. I think WWE really missed the boat with him.

U.S Title
5/10
This just felt like a filler match where the title didn't feel that important. It was too short, and MVP is a telant on the decline.

WWE Title
4/10
Too rushed, and the styles just made for a bland match, the stuff outside of the ring just didn't engage me. The finish was poor also.

Women's Title
3/10
Can't say this was that terrible as it was only a few seconds, but what waste, and if they need to do this sort of thing it should happen on Raw, not a PPV espically not one like the Royal Rumble.

World Heavyweight Title
7/10
Good match overall. Again it might have been longer, and you do have that problem in suspending your disbelef. But at this stage Mysterio is such a credibly headline performer, and Taker sold well, also the contrest in styles made for a pretty thrilling watch.

Rumble Match
8/10
Most Rumble matches are good, it is the greatest gimmick match maybe ever in my view. And this was exciting also. I marked out when Punk came out early and did his speechs in between elimations [although I was also sad because he was my pick to win the whole thing:mad:], in the end I think he was wasted and could have lasted longer. Bits of it were predictable, like the whole DX thing, and Cena eliminating a lot of guys, but it was a pretty open field which kept you guessing. And for me the suprise of Edge entering and winning was a shock!:) Anyway nice to see a diffferent winner.

xXSlaveXx

Reaction score
Haha yeah maybe I was a little generous to Orton/Sheamus. Ah well it all comes with experience huh? Thanks for putting in your opinion I agree with most of the stuff you put.

You reckon I should try a few more reviews sometime?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Really good first review. It is very well written and I liked how you gave a quick comment at the start and finish of each match focussing on the broader storyline or the general concept of the match. I like that since then it just isn't all play-by-play and it is a much more interesting read.

This was a good PPV and continued the recent tradition of very good Royal Rumble PPV's. I thought that the ECW title match was a hidden gem and was the best match of the night besides the actual Royal Rumble. I can't wait for Ezekiel Jackson to return as he was really gaining some momentum after his run in ECW and both RAW and Smackdown could use him right now.

The Royal Rumble match itself for me wasn't as enjoyable as last year's. This year one thing that really annoyed me was the three ECW entrants each lasted around half a minute. There were no real long stays in the ring and there weren't any surprise entrants. I know that Edge returned but he was already on the roster whereas the previous year RVD made an appearance and the year before it was Piper and Snuka. Overall though it was a strong event and I liked the fact that Edge won the event.

Good review and I look forward to reading the next one. Reading this makes me want to write my second column so I have started work on that.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
While I agree Troy that this years match was not as good as last years, the point is Edge's return meant more than RVD's one off appearence, for one it was a bigger suprise [most people thought he was still too injuried to play any part] and second they knew this was a man who could actually win the Rumble where as Van Dam was just there to make up the numbers.

XXSLAVEXX yes you should write me reviews! I would be intrested to read your thoughts on other WWE offerings from this year. So far I have only seen Rumbe, Mania, Extreme Rules, NOC and a bit of HITC.

xXSlaveXx

Reaction score
Alright thanks for the comments Troy I'm glad you like my style of writing and yeah, ECW jobbing in the rumble was pretty poor. Thanks also to you Keith, I'll work on Elimination Chamber sometime and work my way up to Extreme Rules and by then I'll have made some money to get the rest. :D