Recommended Matches

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
So I just got NJPW World and I don't want to waste any time jumping into that delicious vault!

So do any of you have matches that has happened over the years (can be as early as the vault can go). I plan on watching all WK main events one by one then the IC matches and so on but I'd love to know if there were any standout matches to watch (even house show ones)

Tagging @Jacob Fox and @Stopspot because I know for sure they watch a ton of this stuff!

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
The Okada vs Tanahashi series is recommended viewing, and doesn't require you to go that far back in time. Try to watch them in chronological order so you can see how they grow and adapt to each other with time.

The shibata vs Ishii series is also good.

Also look up a fat guy named Shinya Hashimoto. Truly the greatest of asskickers and New Japan's top man in the 90s

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
The Okada vs Tanahashi series is recommended viewing, and doesn't require you to go that far back in time. Try to watch them in chronological order so you can see how they grow and adapt to each other with time.

The shibata vs Ishii series is also good.

Also look up a fat guy named Shinya Hashimoto. Truly the greatest of asskickers and New Japan's top man in the 90s

Will do. Just got world so still new to it, but i can search with the name of the wrestler?

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Recent matches, I'd also check out AJ Styles vs Shinsuke Nakamura at the 2016 Dome Show (Wrestle Kingdom). I wasn't as high on the match as a lot of other people were, but a lot of people gave it five stars. I figure if they enjoyed it that much, you might as well. Kenny Omega vs Hiroki Goto in the finals of the 2016 G1 Climax. In the 2015 G1 Climax, watch Hiroshi Tanahashi vs AJ Styles. 5 star match

I watch a lot of classic matches on there myself. Things that I had no way of seeing when they aired. I wanted to suggest Andre the Giant vs Akira Maeda but for some reason they don't have it on there. It's kinda sad because it's an amusing match. Apparently the story goes that Akira was booked to lose but he didn't want to, so he legitimately tried to beat Andre the Giant. However if you ever want to watch it, it's here:

Stan Hansen has a classic match with Andre as well.

Also August 5, 1985, Antonio Inoki vs Bruiser Brody. There's a lot of cool stuff with guys like Bam Bam Bigelow and Vader. If you want to see the infamous match in which Vader's eye came out of it's socket, it's on February 10, 1990 and it's on there :)

Tiger Mask and Dynamite Kid had a few good matches.

I don't know what your feelings about Chris Benoit are, but he had some matches with Black Tiger under the name Wild Pegasus that were great.

Ultimo Dragon vs Great Sasuke on August 5, 1996.

There's really, IMO, just so much you can't go wrong with. Lots of stuff from 70's, 80's, and 90's guys that you didn't get to see and tons of good stuff at the moment. If you want to see that Hulk Hogan could actually wrestle, he has some decent matches on there.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Recent matches, I'd also check out AJ Styles vs Shinsuke Nakamura at the 2016 Dome Show (Wrestle Kingdom).

I watched that today, and while I dont rate it as high as the Omega Okada battle we just had I did really enjoy it. I'm actually going to dig out matches from both AJ and Shinsuke.

Stopspot

Reaction score
The 1994 Super J Cup is worth a watch. Not sure if it is up in full but that's a great show.

Other names for you to watch. All of these guys have great singles and tag matches to their names and you will probably enjoy most of their work if not their big matches.
Minoru Suzuki
Satoshi Kojima
Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Yuji Nagata
Keiji Mutoh (known to westeners as Great Muta, watch both his work as Mutoh and Muta)

Suzuki vs Tanahashi from I believe the 2011 Tokyo Dome show is arguably up there with Okada vs Omega

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
The 1994 Super J Cup is worth a watch. Not sure if it is up in full but that's a great show.

Other names for you to watch. All of these guys have great singles and tag matches to their names and you will probably enjoy most of their work if not their big matches.
Minoru Suzuki
Satoshi Kojima
Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Yuji Nagata
Keiji Mutoh (known to westeners as Great Muta, watch both his work as Mutoh and Muta)

Suzuki vs Tanahashi from I believe the 2011 Tokyo Dome show is arguably up there with Okada vs Omega
Oh that is a really cool list, thanks! I know of Muta but sadly the only stuff I've seen of him is when he and Sanada were doing that feud in TNA way back when. Looking forward to seeing his earlier work.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Oh that is a really cool list, thanks! I know of Muta but sadly the only stuff I've seen of him is when he and Sanada were doing that feud in TNA way back when. Looking forward to seeing his earlier work.
There's a match between Muta and Hiroshi Hase where Hase busts Muta open the hard way as payback for being bloodied in a earlier match. Muta bled so much all blood in wrestling since is measured on the "Muta Scale"

Reactions: RedDwarfTechy

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
There's a match between Muta and Hiroshi Hase where Hase busts Muta open the hard way as payback for being bloodied in a earlier match. Muta bled so much all blood in wrestling since is measured on the "Muta Scale"
Oh lol I never knew about that. Going on my list now!

Stopspot

Reaction score
lol that is awesome! Gotta love Japan!
Antonio Inoki (NJPW's founder), Hase and Atsushi Onita have all served on the national diet (Japanese parliament). The Great Sasuke has sat on the Iwate Prefecture Assembly, becoming the first masked legislator (he refused to take off his mask and reveal his face even when taking office). Sadly failed to become governor

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Antonio Inoki (NJPW's founder), Hase and Atsushi Onita have all served on the national diet (Japanese parliament). The Great Sasuke has sat on the Iwate Prefecture Assembly, becoming the first masked legislator (he refused to take off his mask and reveal his face even when taking office). Sadly failed to become governor
wow! How did they make sure it was the same person under the mask? XD