Prod's Corner #1 : Heading into the Rumble.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Well with the New Year well and trueley underway it is time for me to finally do a column and also now my laptop is back the reviews I hape been saying I will be doing now will happen. So without further ado let's get into my column which will be mainly focussed on the current state of the WWE as well as some link backs to the past and also a little mention of TNA.

So with a new year there is always a new concept in the WWE and yet again they have taken a big gamble with a concept, making the Royal Rumble contain fourty superstars instead of their usual thirty. Now with the Rumble this weekend I have very mixed feelings on this choice. At first it seems good, WWE are trying something different, breaking the traditions to draw. And I feel that it will draw, of course ten more men makes it sound a lot bigger so people who may have been put off from it beforehand with just thirty men will buy just because of the new added element. However looking further into it I am not sure it will be such a good idea. As some people have suggested earlier it will give guys who usually wouldn't get PPV time get it, but what's the point in that. Surely if WWE really wanted to give them face time they would actually put them in a match where they were show as a true force rather than being thrown out by the Mark Henry's in one second or something. I also think that WWE has made a huge mistake in the fact it's stepping away from tradition. Sure I have listed the good points that have come from it but really does ten guys being used to attempt to draw more really matter to them that much over the tradition that has excited fans and really become a staple of the company. All that nostalgia, all that feeling gone it would just not feel the same and I will feel kinda robbed that WWE have adjusted a match I have grown up with.

Now with that view about the Rumble winner out of the way let's get down to who I think should win it and who I think will win it. Well looking at the options with current Champions I think Christian should definetely win. The guy has been working his ass off with the company for years and I know he went to TNA for a while but he came back and has dealt with the crap WWE has given him. I think it would be great to see him win and either turn heel and go on to face Edge at Wresltemania or face the RAW Champion and they both walk out Champions the same old guys as a tag team. Now that is the option I think would work, probably the fued as the build up would be awesome but I doubt the WWE would do that. Unfortunately I see Triple H winning. Yep, I said it Triple H will probably win the Rumble. Why you ask? Well, it's clear, Hunter doesn't want to miss out on his Wrestlemania moment. He's been waiting for the Rumble for his special return for a while in my eyes and yet again we will have to be subject to all of his glory as he goes on to main event Wrestlemania once more and win the big one. Come on guys it seems the only viable option to me. I don't think there's anyone else that is cleared up and free of fueds and the guys that people have been suggesting like Sheamus, Barrett and Morrison are really not ready to headline mania in a title match. Failing a Triple H win I'd say Cena :/.

Now onto the other matches at the Rumble. It's clear that we will probably have a few matches to those announced for example an IC Title match and possibly a tag match. But for now I will just talk about the two matches announced. First we have Ziggler vs Edge for the World Heavyweight Title. Now, I for one am really excited for this match. Who would of though the Nick Nemmeth aka Dolph Ziggler, the reject from Spirit Squad who no one really cared for or took notice of would be in the position he is now. I am really pleased that he has worked his way up like this through a lot of doubt on him like the crappy Hi I'm Dolph Ziggler gimmick. He has really come on leaps and bounds and his in ring work is very polished as seen with his Daniel Bryan matches. I do think having Guererro as his valet has help him with the getting over aspect but he still has the look of a cocky arrogant heel. So, after bringing some credibility back to the IC title it will be interesting to see where WWE go with him and if they decide to take a risk in making him Champion. The build up has been going very well and I have enjoyed the promos between him and Edge. I credit the way Edge has been showing respect to Dolph at points and actually making him sound like some what of a threat and he has also been played off as the experienced guy so if Dolph has a good show even with a loss he will be on the way to a strong stay at the top. Let's just hope whatever the outcome they put on a great match worthy of making a PPV. Now, onto the other match between Orton and The Miz. Well I do not have much to comment on this as I hate the idea of Orton being Champion again. I am tired of the 'face' Orton who seems to becoming more and more of a Cena Carbon Copy week in week out. With five moves and the poses to the fans, I am sure he will be the companies top babyface soon enough. And if he is ever heel again It will just not be the same. He does not deserve the title imo. Mike Mizanin has worked his butt off and with Orton being thrown in the match because WWE had nothing else to roll with is awful. I mean I dread to think what the quality of this match will be like, I just don't think Orton and Miz roll together in the ring. I would of much rather had the exciting spotfest with Miz and JoMo on this PPV as given them more time it would've been a cool match and put JOMO on a higher tandem with a great performance on a PPV.

So with that done this is the end of my first column. I hope you have enjoyed it. I know my knowledge isn't the best and I am working on that. However, I have tried to give my most logical thoughts. Comments would be appreciated.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
I don't think that the 40 man Rumble match is all that bad- it'll probably be long forgotten once the event is over. It would have been worse if they'd reduced the number of entrants since that would have made winning the Rumble easier and thus, taken away from the magnitude of winning the match.

For the winner of the Rumble match, I've got a good feeling this year. For the first time in years, I feel like a newcomer to the main event could break through and emerge victorious; whether it be Del Rio, Sheamus or even Barrett, the future is bright. Hell, even a CM Punk win would satisfy me.

I agree that Ziggler in the main event is a good thing to see; once again, he's another newcomer to the title picture and having fresh title matches makes for better PPVs in my opinion. They break up the monotony of the main event.

But yeah, nice column Prod. There's a few spelling errors here and there, but it's no big deal; especially with it being your first one.

Look forward to reading more.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for this comment Dod really appreciate it. For some reason my Firefox isn't auto spell checking, I'll try and sort that but if not gonna write it up in word.

wetfloor

Reaction score
*cracks knuckles*
First of all, there is no real "tradition" with the Rumble. The Rumble has changed multiple times including 20 men to 30 men, 2 minute entrances, 60 second entrances, and now 1.5 minutes between entrants. It has been consistent as of late, but not enough to claim tradition when it has changed a lot.

Second, I don't think adding 10 people is really selling this PPV. This is the second highest PPV sold each year for one reason, and that's the rumble. I don't see 10 more people really being a sell, more any more than the 30 man rumble already.

Thirdly, I don't know if Christian is going to be a healthy return, but if so, I doubt he will win the rumble. His injury is so bad, and his only real fued right now is with Del Rio. No title on Del Rio means no rumble win for Christian.

Fourthly, HHH will make his return at the rumble, but that's of course to re-kindle his feud with Sheamus Again, no title on Sheamus means they're just going to be fighting themselves. Sheamus has slowly stepped down from the main event role (we saw this when he lost to Morrison), and we are now just awaiting the King of the Ring v. King of Kings feud.

Fifthly, Ziggler could in fact win the match. Why not throw Edge into the Rumble mix as well. Especially since the Elimination Chamber match is basically the reset button that the WWE can use if anything goes wrong. I agree his work has improved a lot, and deserves this shinning moment, even if it's for a moment.

Sixthly, GOD DAMMIT CENA HAS MORE THAN FIVE MOVES! JUST WATCH A FUCKING MATCH OF HIS. You know who else was considered to have "five moves of doom", Bret Fucking Hart. Christ, I hate that argument. Lets grab a match from Hell In A Cell this year against Wade Barrett, he used over 10 moves, not including the basics or repeats (basics meaning punch/kick/clothesline/etc.) I hate people who make that comment.

Seventhly, JOMO can't wrestle, he's a spot monkey who screws up more spots than hits.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I like this new guy. I agree with wholeheartedly with his rebuttal.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Good first column Prod.

Some good comments in there and some that I don't quite agree on.

With the 40 man Rumble I don't really think anything that negative can come of it. The Rumble is always my favourite match of the year and the PPV is my favourite, even ahead of Wrestlemania simply because of this match. It is just so good seeing the interaction with all these wrestlers that you never get to see square off. Adding extra wrestlers will hopefully mean more surprise entrants and it could also mean more new storylines created through the Rumble. It may have some more lesser names in the match but I always like it when one or two of them end up surviving for ten minutes when you expect them to be eliminated within a few seconds.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like Christian will be returning any time soon. It is meant to be touch and go if he even makes it to WM so there is no way he will be at the Rumble. Triple H winning it on return has been done before and I really can't see him even wanting to book himself in that position. He is now being used to get over the younger wrestlers and build stars for the future. Alberto Del Rio is my pick and I really do hope that he gets the win.

It is amazing when you think about what gimmicks Ziggler has had before in WWE. It just shows that if you have talent and persistence you can work through the worst gimmicks and it doesn't have to be the end of your career. He is a fantastic performer and even though I can't see him winning the match I would love to see him get another title shot down the line. A title win this year would be fine by me and it would be a fantastic story if it does happen.

I would rather see Miz vs Mark Henry for the title than Orton getting another mainevent match. I can't stand the guy anymore and it is just overkill. Hopefully The Miz will retain and we will see some fresher challengers in the title scene like Morrison.

Again good first column, certainly lots of talking points!

wetfloor

Reaction score
You know, I would love to give Mark Henry not necessarily a title run, but a main event push. Because of his size and demeanor, you can easily make him either the happy big guy, or the pissed off black guy. For the length of time he's been in the WWE with no title push (See Kane), he just deserves it for his longevity. He's the one that helps get the smaller guys over like a Dolph Ziggler, a Cody Rhodes, a Ted DiBiase.

Maybe a push for him to try to get back into world strongest man shape. He hasn't done a major weight lifting competition since 2002, and I think it may even benefit the WWE to get him to go out to a competition if they can get him in decent shape. Especially if they don't plan on putting a belt on him, they might as well allow him to train and tour with weight lifting competitions and maybe draw some exposure from that side of the world.

Just look at the random exposure the WWE have gotten because of The Miz winning... companies like TMZ, Jimmy Kimmel Live, ESPN, etc. have all covered the story of him winning, and the WWE doesn't have to pay for that great exposure. It's crazy.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
When I wrote that I was trying to think of the person least likely to get a title shot that isn't a big fan favourite. T thought that his work as ECW champion was actually really good and it actually helped the show by having him as champion. He had a good run at the title a few years back, I think late 05 early 06, when he challenged Kurt Angle for the title, I believe he even had a title shot at the Rumble in 06.

At this stage of his career I can't see him getting that mainevent push. With Kane it was slightly different since he had always been around the mainevent scene even if he did only win the title once before his most recent run. Henry has mainly be a midcarder the past year or two so it would be highly unlikely that he would get a mainevent push. I think that his best chance would be making it into the WWE title Elimination Chamber match at the next PPV. I don't know whether he would still be able to compete at the highest level in the strongest man competitions but it would be a good source of publicity if he could make it back there.

wetfloor

Reaction score
I think his commitment and loyalty to the company should allow him more than just the ECW title run that he had (along with the Euro title he won a whiel back). Kane has always dabbled in the main event, but he's always been more of a filler than anything. "we have no good storylines, lets bring Kane in for a month". Thankfully with the elimination Chamber, you can see that the WWE can use it as a "reset button" before wrestlemania, and basically get anyone over they want to without really hurting another person. My problem with Mark though is, it's hard for him to last that long most likely. He's in very good shape, but I don't think he has the stamina needed in an elimination chamber, especially if he's going to be booked to win it.

Henry's push with angle really came at a bad time because he got set up in so many random feuds. He started it with Angle, and Angle getting a dirty win at the Rumble, then went to face Taker in a casket match, then faced Misterio and even got a clean win on him (non title of course). I think if they're looking for a "filler" title holder between Miz and someone else (or Edge and someone else), Henry is probably the most deserving. Maybe he can get Teddy Long to re-manage him