Paul Heyman goes on a Twitter rant *MUST READ*

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
Paul Heyman went on a rant on his Twitter account, telling the new generation of talent to "Step Up," "Stand Up" and "Get Noticed." Check out a portion of the rant below; the full rant is on his Twitter (https://twitter.com/HeymanHustle):

"I walk into the offices of #Looking4Larry and there's a bunch of #ECW pics sent to me by George Tahinos (who is a phenomenal photographer) . I guess in honor of the #ECW DVD / Blu-Ray coming out next week and NO, I can't express myself in 140 characters or less and I couldn't help staring at this pic of me and Bill Alphonso from 1995 ... Twitter / HeymanHustle: ... and I couldn't help st and I'm looking at that pic and wondering "how f***in' long was my hair back then?" #HolySh** And then I immediately thought, "Who would follow THAT rebel leader?

I look at some of these pics, and I realize how blessed I was in my career. Some guys have to wait forever for a lucky break. I managed @AustinIdolLive and Tommy Rich at the age of 21. Also The Orig Midnights, which I got to do on @ESPN. Got to debut in WCW on TBS at 23 years old. Twitter / HeymanHustle: Got to debut in WCW on TBS So I was @JRsBBQ color commentator at 23 years old. NO ONE IS GIVEN THAT OPPORTUNITY IN TODAY'S ENVIRONMENT!

I will admit, with all modesty, I #Hustled my ass off, and GOT MYSELF the opportunity with ambition, politics, and pure assertiveness. Even "down periods" would give me the chance 2 work w/ people like Mean Mark. U know him as "The Undertaker" @WWE Twitter / HeymanHustle: Even "down periods" would

At 26, I managed @SteveAustinBSR, Rick Rude,Arn,Eaton, Zbyszko ... The Dangerous Alliance (didn't forget @Madusa_Rocks) Twitter / HeymanHustle: At 26, I managed @SteveAus I'm working with these legends, these giants of the industry, these absolute top guys in my 20s In today's system, most super talented people spend a great portion of their 20's just trying to make it onto the main roster and yes, that has to change.

I got to take over the creative of #ECW a week after my 28th birthday Twitter / HeymanHustle: I got to take over the cre. By the time I became @JRsBBQ commentator on @WWE #Raw in 2001, I was 35 years old. STILL a "kid" but I was already a veteran with decades in the business, and yet a 35 year old today would just be getting that chance and working with @JRsBBQ on #RAW allowed me to commentate Wmania 17 and @SteveAustinBSR vs @TheRock.

By the time I worked with Brock Lesnar, which has become my best known managerial role, I was 36 years old. I look at some of these pics and videos #HustleTweeters send me, and I realize what an amazingly blessed career I've had.

I've had more lucky breaks, more open doors, more perfect-storm-timing-opportunities than anyone else I've known. These pics don't just remind me of "accomplishments," they remind me of what a lucky bastard I've been to be able to ...work with these magnificent people, and play these roles, under these various circumstances. I've hit the lottery so many times, it's easy to just "expect" the next opportunity, or get a sense of entitlement. But I've never felt entitled. Always blessed. Privileged. Lucky as all Hell. And yet, I know how much hard work goes into it, and how you have to SCORE with your opportunities.

The next generation in this (or any other business) doesn't just need to "Step Up," they need to "Stand Up" and "Get Noticed!" Think it was easy for @CMpunk? Think it was easy for @WWEDanielBryan? They had to scratch and claw and fight for every ...inch of turf they could pry away from the previous generation, who made them f**kin' earn it!!!

It's not about backstabbing. It's not about kissing ass. It's not about pulling a hot stunt and getting momentary publicity. It's about creating your own opportunity (like @SteveAustinBSR did with "Stone Cold") and working harder than every1 else looking for the big break, the next chance, the golden opportunity.

This isn't a pep talk. It's the lay of the land as I see it in today's sports entertainment industry. I would have written a blog, but who knows if anyone will click on the link? And while this may be a "stream of consciousness" diatribe, it's a message to those who may be getting frustrated a message to those who may be wondering "will I ever get that chance? that break? that opportunity?" DON'T WAIT FOR IT TO COME TO YOU! RELY ON YOURSELF!!! Do you think @SteveAustinBSR relied on anyone? Did HHH? Did @TheRock? Did Hulk Hogan? Did @CMpunk?

With great humility, I ask you, did I? F**K NO. If there was no opportunity, I created my own, pushed my way in, manipulated the circumstances to beg, borrow, plead, blackmail, bribe, cajole, threaten, bullshit and/or manufacture. All I wanted was a mic in my hand and a time frame in which I had to deliver my message. I knew I would score.

I've seen it in this business for ages. I saw @ShawnMichaels go from tag team wrestler to greatest all around in-ring performer ever. Think it was easy for him? I remember when Shawn and Marty were blackballed in the business, and could only work in Ala-f**kin-bama. Think it didn't take @ShawnMichaels everything "and then some" to break out of The Rockers and get a chance as "HBK"? AMBITION. ASSERTIVENESS and the ABILITY TO BACK IT UP is what it takes to create the next generation of main eventers.

And it's time for the next group of superstars to stake their claim and create their own generation for others to follow. Period. Excla-f**kin-mation point. The lecture is over. Pontification has ended. Hope I've been of help 2 ANYONE who follows this acct and maybe even to someone who doesn't!

We now return you to our regularly scheduled nonsense...."

I, for one, completely agree with him. IDK what it is but this generation of wrestlers are afraid to buck the system and make themselves stars like people like Austin and Rock did. I suspect part of it is WWE themselves wanting to keep a squeaky-clean image and wanting complete control over the shows, but you can't manufacture stars. Stars are created by themselves. I hope people like Ryder, Ziggler, Kofi, Hawkins etc see this Twitter rant and take it seriously and just, regardless of what management might think, go out and make themselves famous before 2/3 of the roster sinks into obscurity.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I wouldn't call it a rant I would call it a very good educational read for current and future wrestlers. All those guys that were bitching when The Rock returned and when Brock returned should shut up and realise that if they were over enough then they would be featuring against these guys. They need to make their own destiny and take whatever opportunities they are given and steal the show each time.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
He's such a mark for himself.

How can anyone "break out" like he's suggesting? They would get their ass fired...look at Jericho in Brazil and Danielson choking Justin Roberts with the tie for examples of taking things into their own hands.

Oh and how did that self promoting work out for Ryder :lol:

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
He's such a mark for himself.

How can anyone "break out" like he's suggesting? They would get their ass fired...look at Jericho in Brazil and Danielson choking Justin Roberts with the tie for examples of taking things into their own hands.

Oh and how did that self promoting work out for Ryder :lol:

That's what's wrong with the WWE IMO. No one is allowed to break out like Austin or Rock did. Vince and Co. wants to manufacture their stars and that's not how to make the next big superstars. Ryder paved the way for WWE in social media and he gets buried because of it. It's ridiculous. At this rate, Orton and Cena will be their marquee stars until they turn 80 and can barely walk to the ring while they won't EVER make any new stars. WWE has been castrated. They need to regain their balls.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
No one gets mega nostalgic like an ECW guy.

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
Yeah Heyman is a mark for himself but he raises so many great points. The all-time greats have had opportunities to become great. It's just sad that those opportunities are few and far between nowadays.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
The problem with Ryder is that he was only interesting in his little youtube thing. Beyond that he was just bland. I mean they actually tried to push Ryder and put him in main events so it wasn't WWE's fault that he didn't make it. They took a chance and he flopped. He didn't have what it took to stay at the top.

Guys like Punk and Danielson had to fight just to get a shot in the WWE. Once they made it in they did whatever they could to get to the top. We have the Summer of Punk which really put him on the map and then he sorta sizzled out into what we have now which is... aight but nothin like what he had. Danielson is on the rise right now finally.

But the thing is... who is willing to step up? Miz was on the road to stepping up to the point he became WWE champion, main evented a WrestleMania and won against Cena. What happened after that was he became complacent and as a result he is pretty much where he is now. Like the drive inside to keep pushin to being better dwindled.

I dunno... WWE needs to allow a little more freedom but the problem there is... WHO can step up and take advantage of that? The thing with the guys back then is they had a lot of time before they made it so they knew what to do when they were granted that time. When they were given a shot at taking things into their hands and capitalizing on it they knew how to work things to their advantage.

Now we have guys that will start training and then a few months later they are on the main roster on TV. they don't know what to do if they are given an opportunity. There isn't a chance to really learn the craft before making it to the big show. It's just knowing the basics and a few things beyond that while having the look and boom you're on tv. But then that's how it has to happen sometimes cause otherwise there wouldn't be anybody to wrestle so wrestling right now is a rather big mess cause a lot of the places and territories to learn stuff was absorbed by WWE. And that's why we're stuck with the crap that we have.

PY.

Reaction score
This guy should be hired in the WWE to give younger stars pep talks. Hell, this almost made me put on my plastic spinner belt, and Powerbomb my dog.

Not really, but you know what I mean.

JMobile

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Heyman is doing whatever he can to save how wrestling should be treated. Guys who want to become wrestlers just look forward to be on the roster like he says. Once they are on the roster, most of them shoot the breeze and see what other perks comes along such as TV shows, movies, late night guest, etc. Shit, I wouldn't mind a new gimmick that will last 10 years from now on my TV. This is what a wrestling fan hopes for.

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
The problem with Ryder is that he was only interesting in his little youtube thing. Beyond that he was just bland. I mean they actually tried to push Ryder and put him in main events so it wasn't WWE's fault that he didn't make it. They took a chance and he flopped. He didn't have what it took to stay at the top.

Guys like Punk and Danielson had to fight just to get a shot in the WWE. Once they made it in they did whatever they could to get to the top. We have the Summer of Punk which really put him on the map and then he sorta sizzled out into what we have now which is... aight but nothin like what he had. Danielson is on the rise right now finally.

But the thing is... who is willing to step up? Miz was on the road to stepping up to the point he became WWE champion, main evented a WrestleMania and won against Cena. What happened after that was he became complacent and as a result he is pretty much where he is now. Like the drive inside to keep pushin to being better dwindled.

I dunno... WWE needs to allow a little more freedom but the problem there is... WHO can step up and take advantage of that? The thing with the guys back then is they had a lot of time before they made it so they knew what to do when they were granted that time. When they were given a shot at taking things into their hands and capitalizing on it they knew how to work things to their advantage.

Now we have guys that will start training and then a few months later they are on the main roster on TV. they don't know what to do if they are given an opportunity. There isn't a chance to really learn the craft before making it to the big show. It's just knowing the basics and a few things beyond that while having the look and boom you're on tv. But then that's how it has to happen sometimes cause otherwise there wouldn't be anybody to wrestle so wrestling right now is a rather big mess cause a lot of the places and territories to learn stuff was absorbed by WWE. And that's why we're stuck with the crap that we have.

I semi-agree with you Slim. As far as Ryder goes, I disagree. I mean, he was put in main events along side John Cena and CM Punk but what else happened to him during his push last year? Got screwed out of the US Title and was attacked by Kane every damn week. Then, when Ryder is better, they don't take advantage of the obvious storyline and have Ryder snap on Kane. Nope we get Orton/Kane out of the friggin' blue at WM. The WWE didn't take the chance. They pissed away their opportunity by booking him so weak.

As for Punk, I agree he's not as hot as he was during the Summer of Punk. I mean, nobody could touch him. Now, he's in a love triangle with AJ and Bryan. Yeah he's champion but it's like, "C'mon. He's supposed to be the second coming of Austin".

Bryan is on the rise with the "YES!" phenomenon and that seems to be working fine......for now.

Complacency is a huge problem in WWE's locker room and I believe half of it is due to laziness but I also believe half of it is due to WWE wanting to control EVER SINGLE ASPECT OF EVERY SINGLE THING. The show, the characters, the angles. They want everything scripted and wrestling isn't meant for that. It's meant to be spontaneous, fly by the seat of your pants excitement and fun. The characters have even changed. Now everyone has generic real names. Where are the fun gimmicks we used to have THAT ACTUALLY MADE SENSE like Undertaker, Godfather, Ultimate Warrior(promos aside). Now we have Eli Cottonwood and Johnny Curtis. Exciting.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
This is why Twitter was invented. Heyman said it best himself, "I could have just written a blog, but how many people would have actually clicked the link?" It was so awesome to read this last night, and then all the wrestlers praising the advice.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
It's up to the young guys to be honest. Sure WWE isn't helping them that much, with restricting their opportunities to truly make a name for themselves, but they should take those risks. WWE can't fire everybody for that, otherwise they would have some pretty boring TV.

PY.

Reaction score
Isn't John Cena praised for taking a risk or was it him stepping on other peoples toes? Can't remember which one it was.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I heard he was stepping on people, i.e. holding them down.

He is right in what he's saying about guys really needing to break out and step up (fucking caught the Hogan bug :fp:) but it's not as simple as that. There's not a genuine competitor to challenge the WWE anymore like WCW was, so guys are possibly afraid of getting the boot and having to fall along way back at some place like TNA or ROH.

One guy who I feel is a prime example of this stepping up scenario is Kofi and not because he's one of my favourites. You look at his situation and he looks like a guy who they're going to have something for him to do for many years to come, whether that's chasing a title in the midcard, holding a midcard title, thrown together in a tagteam or whatever. He gets regular TV time, PPV time, will be on decent enough money to make a living and all the additional revenue from merchandise, games etc so why wouldn't he feel comfortable. Sure i'm sure he would love to be worlds champion who wouldn't, but I guess you have to weigh up your options on whether being pushed further down the card, or even losing your job is worth it.

I mean fuck, Dolph stepped up massively and he's probably gone backwards while Ryder got himself over, got the briefest off pushes and he's gone back to where he started. I mean the most recent main eventers who made it were Sheamus and Del Rio and I wouldn't they stepped up. You look at the Punk scenario aswell leading into MITB, I honestly believe he only got all that because his contract was expiring and he had nothing to lose while the WWE obviously wanted to re-sign him. Had he made those demands in the middle of his contract, I honestly believe he would have been laughed out of the office. That's not a dig at Punk btw.