Official MLB Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Soulpower

Evan Longoria won the AL Rookie of The Year. Geovany Soto (FROM PUERTO RICO!!!) won the NL ROTY.

MikeRaw

The Oakland A's are closing in on a deal with the Colorado Rockies that would send outfielder Matt Holliday to California, according to a report in SI.com.

The players heading to Colorado are not yet known.

The two-time All-Star, due to become a free agent after the 2009 season, spent his entire five-year career with the Rockies and helped them reach the 2007 World Series.

Holliday batted .321 with 25 home runs and 88 RBIs in 139 games last season, making it the fourth straight .300 season for the Stillwater, Oklahoma native.

---------
TSN.ca

Travis40

Hopefully Holliday isn't in Oakland long term...he's gonna destroy the AL West pitching (especially the Rangers :()

circle

Reaction score
Holiday will be lucky to get 25 hr's...I don't think he is all that great.

I'm still keeping an eye on Mark Texeria and CC on where their new homes will be, but FA mlb has been slow...I guess it picks up in December

Soulpower

Word going around is that Mets are the most likely team to sign Francisco Rodriguez. That would be a great move, since the Mets bullpen is a damn mess.

PeepShow

:confused:

He's a pretty terrible closer. The save record is a terrible interpretation of what actually came of it. He gave up a run in over half of his appearances. Not exactly a grade A pitcher last year. Just had a team that always had a 2 or 3 run lead at the end.

circle

Reaction score
I wouldn't give k-rod more than 8 mil a year...he is so up and down and is overrated.

Enigma22

Reaction score
he had a 2.2 era. thats pretty damn good. he made 10 million last year so there is no reason he should make less then that after a record breaking season. hes not my favorite closer but hes not overrated.

circle

Reaction score
Well If the Mets get Krod that will be a big help for them, but one person I hope they don't resign is Pedro...man he didn't deliver beyond his 1st year and that's not a good thing...

MikeRaw

Francisco Rodriguez has reportedly agreed to a three-year, $37 million deal with the New York Mets.

ESPN is reporting that the deal is done pending a physical, while Foxsports is reporting that the contract includes a $14 million vesting option for a fourth year. The option is said to easily attainable if Rodriguez can stay healthy.

"I feel good where we are today, compared to where we were yesterday," Mets GM Omar Minaya told ESPN on Tuesday. "I'm going to stay positive. But total completion of the deal is when everything is signed, sealed and delivered, and [right now] we continue to have dialogue. That's the best I can tell you."

The three-year deal is one year more than the initial two-year, $24 million contract the team is said to have offered the All-Star hurler on the weekend.

The Mets had a disastrous collapse last September and fell just short of making the playoffs for the second year in a row, thanks in no small part to a struggling bullpen. The team is in the market for a top-level closer to replace Billy Wagner, who is likely to miss the entirety of next season after undergoing elbow surgery.

In the 2008 campaign with the Los Angeles Angels, Rodriguez broke the record for saves in a Major League season with 62, easily passing the previous record of 57 which was set by Bobby Thigpen in 1990.

In his seven-year career, the three-time All-Star has a 23-17 record with 208 saves and a 2.35 ERA in 408 games played.

Because Rodriguez was an 'A' type free agent, the Angels will receive the Mets' 25th pick in the first round of MLB's 2009 First Year Player Draft, as a supplemental pick.

The New York Post is reporting that Rodriguez could be in New York tomorrow for his physical.
Source: http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=259061&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_main

Wordlife

^NICE

now as long as my Cubs get Peavy... well then im set for the 09 season lol

Soulpower

LAS VEGAS -- CC Sabathia will be a New York Yankee.

The Yankees are "very close" to a preliminary agreement with Sabathia on Wednesday morning, following an in-person meeting between general manager Brian Cashman and Sabathia in California, a baseball source with knowledge of the deal told ESPN.com.

Although a deal is not done, the source said there are "zero major road blocks" that would prevent the Yankees from reaching an agreement with 28-year-old left-hander.

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported that in order to get the deal completed, the Yankees added a seventh year to their original six-year, $140 million offer, bringing the total package to seven years and $160 million -- by far the biggest contract for any pitcher in history.

MikeRaw

Just saw that. I figured if he signed with an east coast team, it would be the Yankees, but I actually thought he would go west.