Matt Hardy is a Free Agent

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
24xu9zvq07tc1.jpeg

Reactions: Death By Looch

Death By Looch

I Believe In Joe Hendry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
vader2
Favorite Wrestler
yujinagata
Favorite Wrestler
bethphoenix
hmm... I wonder what he was offered, if he actually had an offer in the first place :hmm:

Only thing I can imagine, that would make this less weird, would be if they offered him a backstage role only contract in some way, shape or form.

Last edited:

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
The worst kept secret.

As I’ve stated before, I don’t see much of a market for solo Matt Hardy in 2024. Maybe TNA offers him something

Dubble J

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Matt Hardy MLW be cool. I fully think him Jeff will follow $$$ to WWE to get in HOF

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
hmm... I wonder what he was offered, if he actually had an offer in the first place :hmm:

Only thing I can imagine, that would make this less weird, would be if they offered him a backstage role only contract in some way, shape or form.
that is what I am thinking - agent role - maybe a small amount of dates at best but yeah I'm guessing the days of paying a premium on guys like Matt in AEW is over. They need these types of roles a lot less than early on when they needed veterans to draw in a few new casuals. Also ya Matt has kind of fallen off huge in the ring and his brother is not trustworthy so it's just no longer a wise investment

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Atleast there's one less thing I won't have to see if I ever start watching AEW again.

ETE

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
J1K3xhn
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
kane
The Hardys need to retire at this point. Maybe 1 last send off match in WWE, maybe.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Matt Hardy says he is negotiating with "everyone available" including AEW as a free agent.

On this week's The Extreme Life of Matt Hardy podcast, Hardy confirmed that his AEW contract expired this past Sunday at midnight, and that he has taken advantage of his ability to talk to a variety of potential employers in free agency.

Hardy says:

"Sunday night into Monday morning at midnight, that is when my [AEW] contract expired, so yes, I am a free agent right now.
Just negotiating, talking. I have interacted with everyone. Still interacting with AEW. And that's where we're at right now.
Whenever my deal ended up running out, that allowed me the opportunity to negotiate and to speak to everyone available. Really weighing all my options, and that's what I'm doing right now."
Hardy has been offered a new AEW contract. When asked if he was ruling out returning to AEW, Hardy said:

"No, not at all."
Hardy went on to explain the mindset behind allowing his AEW deal to run out:

"I think as time continued to move on and we were so close to the finish line so to say, I do think I wanted to wait until everything ran out to where I can weigh all my options.
I can do things correctly from a legal standpoint and figure out what I want to do next."

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Matt Hardy is enjoying his time as a free agent.

Earlier this month, it was confirmed that Hardy had entered into free agency following the expiration of his AEW contract. Hardy, who was offered a new AEW deal, said he was still interacting with the promotion and had not ruled out returning.

Hardy spoke about the free agency process on the latest episode of his Extreme Life of Matt Hardy podcast (Patreon early release), noting that he's having a great time and isn't in a rush to sign anywhere:

Incredibly enjoying it. I'm having a great time. It's like, this might spoil me a little bit. You know, like, I'm in no huge rush to sign anything to be an official employee. I'm digging what I'm doing. I had a couple signings these last couple weeks. WrestleCon was off the chart with me and Jeff, and I think most people know that. It was insane. This last week, I had Astronomicon which was in Detroit. I did Saturday and Sunday there. It was crazy as well. Thank you to everyone who came out in Astronomicon. It was insane on Saturday, and both days were really, really good. It was great hooking up meeting so many people that are big Hardy supporters.
Yeah, man -- I'm enjoying this. And just being home, not having the stress of going to the airport, catching that early flight, whatever, it's been really nice. I think you'll see in my Matt Fact, I'm in no rush to leave the Hardy Compound.
Asked about teases he's been doing on social media hinting at a WWE return, Hardy said that, as a free agent, he's trying to create hype around himself. Hardy noted that he's been speaking with both AEW and WWE:

I mean, full disclosure, I am doing what I should be doing as a free agent -- creating hype around myself. Yes, I have been speaking with AEW constantly. I have been speaking with WWE. I’ve been speaking with several people across several different platforms. So I think the next couple of weeks are going to be fun. The next few weeks are going to be fun. As I said before, I think we’re getting to the point where we’re going to be doing some pretty cool stuff coming up.
So yeah, I am doing what I should be doing. And my job as a brand, which I have to look at myself as a brand, a lot of my social media stuff is 'Matt Hardy Brand.' My job as a brand is to promote myself and to create buzz around myself, and I feel like I do a pretty decent job with it whenever I am just able to kind of freelance and do whatever.
Though he's liked the freedom he's experienced as a free agent, Hardy said that hasn't dissuaded him from signing a contract. He does plan on choosing a team and signing somewhere.

Hardy debuted for AEW in 2020. His brother Jeff Hardy didn't join the company until 2022.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Do the indie run and milk those money marks for a year.......then fuck off forever.

Pat

Yowie Wowie Enthusiast
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
n4HSWck
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
jeffhardy
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Sports Team
v0Br4GW
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
As a Wyatt fan, it would be pretty cool (to me at least) to see him as part of an Uncle Howdy faction with past Wyatt affiliates as well.

I could see an interesting angle where Hardy talks about how lost or pointless his career was and how being a part of something like the Wyatt 6 (or whatever tf it will be called) gave his career purpose again.

I’m in the minority of people in the IWC who enjoy the Hardy’s. I’d like to see both in WWE one last time.