Jim Crockett Promotions presents Ric Flair's Last Match - July 31, 2022 on Fite TV

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
I enjoyed the show for the most part. Lucha 4-Way was excellent, and a lot of the undercard was quite enjoyable. I marked for Gage coming out with the GCW crew for the Bunkhouse match, and Mancer winning was nice to see. I think one thing going against this show is a lot of the matches just didn't get enough time to reach their full potential. Like I was getting in to some of them and then they just ended. Main Event I had no expectations for, so I wasn't surprised by the quality of it. I will say that Jeff Jarrett looks tremendous for his age, and his heel work was excellent. For sure the stand-out, and Lethal and Andrade did what they could. I would much rather remember Ric vs HBK at WrestleMania as the last match.

Ric fist bumping Blake Christian as one of the last visuals of the night was crazy, that came out of nowhere. :lol

Reactions: Vegeta

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Yeah as far as I'm concerned Ric's career ended at Wrestlemania 24. His work since then has been a joke so it's whatever. It's not my place to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do with their life so I'm not gonna front that he wrestled one more time. I just hope he had a good time. The other three men completely carried the match. Ric basically couldn't do anything so it is what it is. I read an article that he was perfectly fine after the match so that's good.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

22 years later.....they finally get together.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Reactions: Marty McFourth

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3

Double J is the best and he used his best theme music.

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
Jarrett was proper getting in to it with those fans last night. :lol One guy got so heated he nearly jumped the barrier. Man knows how to heel it up.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Knows how to heel it up, but still never drew a dime

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Ric Flair's Last Match PPV does over 24,000 PPV buys, $448,000 gate​

According to numbers reported in this week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter, last Sunday's Ric Flair's Last Match pay-per-view was a financially successful one and the second-biggest ever indie show in the U.S. in the modern era.

Meltzer is reporting that the PPV did between 20,000 and 25,000 buys via streaming PPV buys and nearly 4200 more through linear PPV.

As he noted, the number is impressive considering the show had no traditional TV promotion.

"The only promotions with a show not promoted on national television that ever beat this number would have been All In (55,000) and when Pancrase was billing itself as pro wrestling and SEG did a taped show (60,000)," he wrote.

The event did over 6800 fans for a $448,502 gate. It's the second-largest behind 2018's All In which did 10,541 paid and $458,525.

"Aside from All In, WCW, WWE and AEW, that gate number was never hit previously in pro wrestling history in the U.S. As far as an indie show doing 6,800 fans paid in the U.S. aside from All Out, there was a 2013 show at the Los Angeles Sports Arena that drew 7,000 with El Hijo del Santo & L.A. Park & Rayo de Jalisco Jr. vs. Cien Caras Jr. & Blue Demon Jr. & Dr. Wagner Jr., but the gate would have been nowhere close to that one. Jacques Rougeau Jr. had bigger crowds when he promoted his retirement show as well as is own promotion at the Bell Center in Montreal many years back," he wrote.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Conrad Thompson says Ric Flair's Last Match part of 'master plan'​

Conrad Thompson has opened up regarding how everything came together for Ric Flair's Last Match.

Speaking on My World with Jeff Jarrett, Thompson said the event was part of a "bigger master plan."

"You and I talked about this over a year ago," Thompson said to Jarrett. "I said, 'no, I'm not doing wrestling, I'm not promoting wrestling, I'm not negotiating finishes, I don't want to be involved in the politics.' I like my lane but this opportunity presented itself. The real story that we're not talking about, we will tell you one day, but this is part of a bigger master plan and no it does not involve Ric Flair wrestling again but the entrepreneur brain kicked off and I saw an opportunity for Sunday and I said, 'if I don't do it, I'll wonder what if, so let's do it.' We rolled the dice, I couldn't be more tickled with the results."

Thompson also credited Tony Khan and Vince McMahon for allowing contracted talent to take part in the event.

"I want to give a ton of credit and props and kudos to Tony Khan for allowing really the forbidden door to happen. We're not supposed to talk about it but we're going to say it one time, we had an AEW superstar tag teaming with a WWE special Vice President to take on an AEW superstar and Ric Flair. That shouldn't have happened," Thompson said on the show.

"There's a lot of reasons that it shouldn't have happened but Vince McMahon, back when that was a thing, green-lit it and so did Tony Khan and this could not have happened without both of those folks allowing it."

Thompson would continue to talk about how it was decided that Flair and Andrade El Idolo would team up against Jarrett and Jay Lethal in the main event.

"There were lots of ideas put together for how could we do Ric Flair's last match but when we settled on a story, it sort of clicked. 'Hey, wait a minute, the videos of Jay Lethal training with Ric have gone super viral, millions of views,' so we already have a built-in story there, we can just build on it. But it doesn't make sense for Jay to be his partner because they've been working against each other. So, in an effort to best take care of my father-in-law and Morgan's grandpa, let's make sure the guy he's wrestling that night is the guy he's been wrestling four times a week since April."

Thompson also addressed fans who were concerned about Flair's health heading into the match.

"I know there was a lot of people who said, 'oh man, when Ric steps through those ropes he's going to die.' Okay smart ass, he wrestled an hour a week four days a week since the first week of April. So, when he stepped through the ropes that Sunday it wasn't the first time he had done it, it was just the first time you had seen it."

In terms of Jarrett being Flair's other opponent, Thompson said Jarrett's loose association with the Four Horsemen played a role.

"We had been talking about on this podcast, is Jeff a Horsemen? Is he not? For over a year. So, those two things just fell in line, and by the way, over the summer, literally the day our tickets went on sale is when Andrade married Charlotte. So, everybody now knows through TMZ and People Magazine and everywhere else that Andrade is Ric Flair's son-in-law and everybody also knows that Jay Lethal has been training Ric Flair for his last match. I happen to be in business with and partners with a guy who knows how to be a heel in Nashville better than maybe anybody and so here we are. It worked but it couldn't have happened without Tony Khan, it couldn't happen without Vince McMahon."

Thompson would continue to praise MLW's Court Bauer, Impact's Scott D'Amore, and AAA's Dorian Roldán for allowing talent contracted to their companies to participate. He also credited the talent on the card with not treating the event as just another payday.

"Not one person involved in this treated it like it was for the payday," Thompson continued.

"There was not a bunch of big debate about what are we going to do for finishes. There was no politicking."

Thompson also mentioned that the undercard went 15 minutes short on time. They had hoped to get the main event in the ring by 8:15 p.m and they were able to do so by 8:00 p.m.

"We had an hour for the main event, we hoped for 45 minutes with the post-match at most."

"Everyone went out of their way to do it because they understood even though this might be one of the biggest crowds I've wrestled in front of or a big pay-per-view crowd or whatever, it ain't about me, it's about Ric."

"This was bigger than a one-off, this was bigger than a one-time show. No, we're not starting a promotion, I'm not saying that, I'm definitely not saying that. I'm just saying everybody minded their Ps and Qs because what are we going to do? Boy, if they don't do what we need them to we're going to punish them next week on TV? There is no comeback, this is it, they just did it and it was such a special thing."

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler