Jerry Lawler on his position

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

TheZig

Reaction score
Here is what Jerry 'The King' Lawler had to say in an interview with thecampussocialite.com about his feelings on announcing:

I still enjoy performing in the ring as much as I ever did. I didn't get into this business to be a commentator; I don't even really enjoy being a commentator. I just happen to be able to do it where people can stand to listen to me.

I don't know if Lawler has ever stepped foot on the internet or even read any criticism about his work from the IWC faithful. Its safe to say most of us find him lackluster these days. There are many commentators in WWE who aren't even getting a chance to be on television who are far better than Lawler in his current form.

In a ideal world i'd pick Striker and Matthews as a team anyday, Thats not just a preference to RAW. Well all i can say is if Lawler isn't enjoying working as a commentator anymore then let a fresh face get a chance, It surely can't be financial issues that are keeping him around.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Striker should really replace him. But Booker T is returning in the ring, so he´ll replace Booker.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
The guy is absolutely terrible and has been for ages. His corny jokes are so cringeworthy it's unbelievable and he's only tolerable when JR is alongside him and not Cole.

jamie

Reaction score
they need a complete shake up tbh... i myself love Striker and think he should be given a chance on RAW

Aniking

Reaction score
I think the main problem with the commentators is Michael Cole. McMahon thinks the shit that Cole says is absolutely hilarious, when in fact he's nothing but a massive tool and isn't funny in the slightest. The way he rips on JR is pathetic, in fact whenever he even opens his mouth it ruins the broadcast for me because he's such an egomaniac. I honestly think no commentator will be able to prove how good they can actually be if Cole is sitting alongside them, undermining everything they say. Sometimes I hate watching Smackdown because Cole always has to rip into Booker T, but it's never gonna stop if McMahon thinks it's hilarious.

If it were up to me, I'd pick Striker and Matthews any day as well. Lawler obviously doesn't have the motivation to continue doing it, Booker messes up too often for me, Korpela is still inexperienced, and Grisham bores me to death. I don't think Regal has enough experience either, but on the other end of the experience stick is JR, but he is always being ripped on so for his personal benefit I don't wanna see him commentating.

I just feel Striker and Matthews have always done a great job alongside each other.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I liked him fine. But when JR left and WWE went PG he kinda lost whatever it was he had that I liked. I understand having a wrestler on commentary to tell us what it's like but you have to have been relevant within twenty years. It'd be like Lauranitis doing commentary it's not credible (or his promos)

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
For someone who doesn't even like doing commentary he sure has been doing it a long ass time. King can be alright one minute and make me want to mute the T.V another minute just depends. And at this point Cole just needs to be a manager instead of just using commentary to put himself over. Wouldn't mind a whole make over of the Raw commentary team minus putting JR back on it.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I don't really want JR back either I was one of the few that was glad to see him go.

TheZig

Reaction score
JR back on commentary would be a stupid move, Maybe if he appeared on special occasions that would be good. We still need to see this 'challenge' from Cole, Whcih is another way to humiliate JR. But as i said, Focus needs to be on the wrestlers 'superstars'. Which is why we need a team like Striker and matthew's on commentary.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I wouldn't object to King taking a couple months away from the booth to be part of a team with a young guy or manage a young group like the Kings of Wrestling. He just has to be back to call WM. Fuck the thought of Striker, Josh, Regal, or Booker calling that

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Lawler has been pretty hit and miss the past couple of years. He still has his good moments but overall it is pretty bad now. The three man announce team didn't work for him and he doesn't work well with Michael Cole playing the crazy heel that talks all the time. I don't see him having that long left as a commentator as WWE will probably want to move in a new direction soon enough. It is quite funny that he doesn't enjoy commentating but has done it for over a decade.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Perhaps he was content while with JR but now that he's with Cole he speaks out about it hoping the WWE will notice and move him.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Surely Lawler would say something to Vince and the others backstage that the commentary is terrible now. He has been with them for more than a decade and he hasn't been afraid to speak out before. They need to make changes and get back to what it used to be.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
It was certainly an honest interview from him, and based on what he said I am suprised he is still a commentator and think he should move on. Lawler is the most desponsible right now IMO.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Surely Lawler would say something to Vince and the others backstage that the commentary is terrible now. He has been with them for more than a decade and he hasn't been afraid to speak out before. They need to make changes and get back to what it used to be.
Vince loves Cole being his little puppet to feed him lines, not to mention Cole is one of Cena's best friends I believe. Can't get much stronger backing than that really.