IWGP U.S. Championship revealed.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
c_q1ghduqaagxcg.jpg

This is the prize of US G1 tournament. I guess this event will kick off an NJPW touring brand here. I'm pretty interested to see who they crown as the inaugural US champ, I'm thinking Juice Robinson.

As for the belt itself I'm just not a fan of the red straps anymore. The gold plates look bad on them.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
The straps make the belt look ugly tbh. But swap the straps to black and you have a pretty decent looking belt. I guess they didnt want it looking similar to the other belts hence the red straps.

I have a feeling Juice will be a champ if not the inaugural champ, at least in the first 3-4.

Do we know who is part of the G1 US tournament? Is Cody an option?

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't just become a random belt defended in regular NJPW shows undercards it should be fine.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
It is NJPW probably trying to take a shot at WWE without going into direct competition with them. But with a fair amount of American competitors they have, it can work.

But, Black Straps please?

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
I don't have an issue with the design of the belt but there seems to be more than enough championship titles in New Japan as it is: World Heavyweight, Intercontinental Championship, NEVER Openweight, IWGP Jr. Heavyweight, IWGP Jr. tag team titles, IWGP Tag team titles, and the NEVER 6-man tag team titles.

Having too many championships dilutes the meaning of the word champ.

Last edited:

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Ya know, I haven't been keeping up with NJPW for a while now, but I actually don't mind that belt's design. I do agree it would've looked better with a different color, though.

So, this G1 Climax in the US will basically serve like a prelude to the 2017 G1? Nice. And since they're looking to expand in the US, I guess having the first US champ being an actual American would make sense. Also, the fact that both IWGP Heavyweight and IC titles will be defended on the show is nice.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
that belt is ugly as fuck

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
wAjEdMB
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero2
How many Shinsuke Nakamura jackets have to die so these companies can make their ugly red belts?

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
The straps make the belt look ugly tbh. But swap the straps to black and you have a pretty decent looking belt. I guess they didn't want it looking similar to the other belts hence the red straps.

I have a feeling Juice will be a champ if not the inaugural champ, at least in the first 3-4.

Do we know who is part of the G1 US tournament? Is Cody an option?

I haven't read about any confirmed names I just assumed everyone was apart of the tournament or at the very least all non-japanese talent.

As long as it doesn't just become a random belt defended in regular NJPW shows undercards it should be fine.

I think they'll abandon the title if the westward expansion doesn't go as planned. It'll be better than keeping it around.

I don't have an issue with the design of the belt but there seems to be more than enough championship titles in New Japan as it is: World Heavyweight, Intercontinental Championship, NEVER Openweight, IWGP Jr. Heavyweight, IWGP Jr. tag team titles, IWGP Tag team titles, and the NEVER 6-man tag team titles.

Having too many championships dilutes the meaning of the world champ.

Eh, I feel like the amount of belts work for NJPW as they treat their product more like a sport than WWE does.

Reactions: RedDwarfTechy