Greatest Wrestling Match Of 1990 - The Countdown

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crocker

Reaction score
For the record it was me who had it 3rd, not Jacob Fox.

Also... what can you say? Flair in 89/90 is God tier. A level that few will ever match. This is hands down the best match Lex Luger ever had.
Corrected

GARBAGE

Reaction score
I'm far from the first to say this but that's probably the last time Ric Flair truly felt like "The Man" in wrestling a big title match. There are great Ric Flair matches after it but none have that same feel of the classic Big Flair Title Match off the top of my head.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
8 Super Generation Army vs Tsuruta- gun
AJPW October Giant Series
October 19th
70 Points
GARBAGE(2), Jacob Fox(2), Hoss(4)

I actually hadn't seen this before doing this list. Phenomenal

Reactions: Hoss

Crocker

Reaction score
7 The Midnight Express vs The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express
NWA WrestleWar
February 25th
72 Points
Crocker(5), Apogo Creed(9), Jacob Fox(9), GARBAGE(11), Hoss(24)

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
7 The Midnight Express vs The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express
NWA WrestleWar
February 25th
72 Points
Crocker(5), Apogo Creed(9), Jacob Fox(9), GARBAGE(11), Hoss(24)

Damn. Naturally I'm kinda surprised this ended up 7th. I had a chunk of tag matches ahead of this on my personal list and I feel like these two teams have better matches that cause me to not hold this one in quite as high regard. Damn good match regardless, just shocked it landed so high.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Damn. Naturally I'm kinda surprised this ended up 7th. I had a chunk of tag matches ahead of this on my personal list and I feel like these two teams have better matches that cause me to not hold this one in quite as high regard. Damn good match regardless, just shocked it landed so high.
This match got a high number from me probably because I watched it when it happened. Kayfabe was still held mostly at the time and i really got into the match. The experience of seeing it when it was aired probably helped me to rate it high,

Back then, in the US, you rarely got matches like this. So many were routine and this wasn't.

GARBAGE

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but is that the first unanimous vote so far?

Crocker

Reaction score
WWWA World Championship
Steel Cage
Bull Nakano vs Aja Kong
AJW Wrestlemarinepiad
November 14th
75 Points
Hoss(2), Apoho Creed(8), Jacob Fox(8), Crocker(11)

Reactions: Jacob Fox and Hoss

Crocker

Reaction score
WWF Championship
WWF Intercontinental Championship
Hulk Hogan(c) vs The Ultimate Warrior(c)
WWF Wrestlemania VI
April 1st
78 Points
Apoho Creed(1), Crocker(1), Jacob Fox(5), Hoss(19)

Last edited:

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
WWWA World Championship
Steel Cage
Bull Nakano vs Aja Kong
AJW Wrestlemarinepiad
November 14th
75 Points
Hoss(2), Apoho Creed(8), Jacob Fox(8), Crocker(11)

A chaotic and violent spectacle. Not a shred of technical prowess on display. Just pandemonium. If every match was like this, wrestling would probably suck, but since very few matches are actually like this, this match stands out as being very special.

WWF Championship
WWF Wrestlemania VI
April 1st
78 Points

Clearly this match doesn't mean much to me, and if it wasn't for the historical significance of this match, I probably would have left it off my list altogether. However, in accounting for all factors, I can't complain with this match landing so high.

Reactions: Crocker

GARBAGE

Reaction score
I watched Hogan/Warrior for the first time in forever last year. Thought it started out about as perfectly as it could have and also had a great ending. the meat of the match wasn't blowing me away but I still get why the match does it for people. I think I'm of the opinion that there's a great 12 minute match in the 23 minutes somewhere. I've become a bigger fan of 85-87 Hogan than I could have ever assumed I'd be. During those few years he had loads more good matches - with a pretty wide variety of opponents - than people give him credit for, and all of the matches I favour from him during those years cap it off pretty short.

Most of what I felt during Bull/Aja was that I wish it wasn't escape the cage rules. To quote my own butt from my thread in reviews and columns - "I also really don't think this benefitted from escape the cage rules at all. These two do the Stand And Fight thing well so having them to dash against the action to climb away never looked right to me." While I also had some issues with the tag, I wound up voting for Bull/Bison vs. Kong/Grizzly at #23 because I liked the structure and individual stand out moments much, much more. I totally understand the cage as a wild spectacle that glues peoples' eyes to the screen though and I get it being this high.

I'm very curious about the final four because I can only think of three matches that would for sure be left, two of which I had high on my own list. The last one is just escaping me.

Reactions: Jacob Fox and Chris

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
WWF Championship
WWF Wrestlemania VI
April 1st
78 Points

I placed it correctly lol

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
A chaotic and violent spectacle. Not a shred of technical prowess on display. Just pandemonium. If every match was like this, wrestling would probably suck, but since very few matches are actually like this, this match stands out as being very special.
I hadn;'t seen it until we did this. It was amazing

Clearly this match doesn't mean much to me, and if it wasn't for the historical significance of this match, I probably would have left it off my list altogether. However, in accounting for all factors, I can't complain with this match landing so high.
Crocker was right when he said the fans made this match, not the competitors. That crowd was just so into it and electric.

Crocker

Reaction score
It’s the same as Hogan's Wrestlemania matches against Andre and Rock, put them in front of an average crowd and they’re nothing matches.