Edge Retires

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
On RAW this week Edge cut a promo saying that he has retired. This is in fact legitimate and here is the reason why.

pwinsider said:
WWE's website posted an article on Edge's retirement, noting that Edge had suffering numbness and uncontrollable trembling in his arms and hands of late, symptoms of nueropraxia, a nervous system disorder. Edge was experiencing similar issues when he underwent neck fusion surgery several years ago.

According to the WWE website, Edge underwent an MRI last Monday.

After the MRI was examined by WWE's Medical Director Dr. Joseph Maroon, Edge was diagnosed with stenosis of the spine, which in layman's terms, means his spinal cord was narrowing from the abuse he's taken since returning to the ring from his 2003 neck fusion surgery.
With the damage to his spinal cord, continued abuse of the neck from bumping could result in series injury, including paralysis.

It is sad to hear that he is suffering badly again but it is great that Edge has immediately made the decision to retire. There is no point risking his body so that he has to end up paralysised and in a wheelchair. Maybe this is part of the reason Edge retained at WM, WWE were letting him go out on top.

Lets make this thread all about how good Edge is. He has been in the WWE for a long long time and went from being part of a great tag team, to midcarder and finally to maineventer. He did it all in WWE and is one of the best of his generation.

So what are some of your favourite Edge moments.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Favorite Edge moments are....

Edge spear on Jeff Hardy at Wrestlemania X-7 something that was so cool too see, something that was like oh my god can't believe he did that.

As well with Edge winning the WWE title for the first time, that was such a moment that will always be in peoples minds. It sucks to see him go but hell it is what is best for his career and thus I say thank you.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Edge and Christian were under-rated as a tag team in my opinion. The focus was always on the Dudley Boys and the Hardy Boys. The five second pose "for the benefit of those with flash photography" skits were always awesome and they featured in so many great tag team matches. I remember clearly the tag team match between E&C and the Hardys for the opportunity to win Terri as their manager. Then obviously the matches involding the Dudleys and the Hardys were great. Edge as KOTR was great and I liked how they booked the storyline with Christian becoming jealous of Edge because of his success.

His singles matches with Christian for the IC title were great. Then when he moved to Smackdown he formed another great tag team with Rey Mysterio that was part of the last great tag team division in WWE. Then he had that neck injury just when he was doing well as a singles wrestler but I clearly remember at the time that he just didn't have that spark, that special something that maineventers have. After he returned from that neck injury and he started to work as a heel he really made moves on RAW. Winning that MITB briefcase and then it was the angle with Lita/Matt Hardy that really pushed him to the top. He was such a good heel in that role and his character was perfect. Edge winning that WWE championship after cashing in on Cena was great and the moment was made even better that this was the first time we had ever seen a cash in.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Edge is definite first ballot HOFer and should be considered all time top 3 of Canadian wrestlers.

From the Goth guy to goofy teenbeat heartthrob wannabe, he was a captivating wrestler. It's hard to pick out a few highlights, since there was so many.

He is one of those people with multiple title reigns that you wouldn't question a single one of them. That just shows the immense respect people in the IWC had for him, which is something of an accomplishment in itself, since IWC don't like anyone who was a face.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It will be good seeing Christian induct Edge into a future HOF.

Overall he has to be in the top 25 of all time in the WWE. He did it all from tag team to midcard to champion and was at the top for many years. He was a guy that was never pushed too early and when he won the title it was the right time. Like you said you couldn't question any of his title reigns.

SpectreVLV

Reaction score
I've been thinking about a well known moral since yesterday. Sometimes, we don't realize how much something or someone means until we lose that thing or person. This applies to me, since I was not a HUGE fan of Edge. Now that he is no longer in the ring, I'm wondering if SmackDown is going to be the same. I mean Edge was there every week; I so became used to seeing Edge every week that it's really sad and weird not to ever see him wrestle again.

This retirement announcement was like a jab in the face - it just came too fast.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
This is really sad, I actually put my head down and was upset. Edge is one of my favorites all time, yes he pulled a bad stunt on Matt Hardy but screw that. Edge delivered all the time and was an incredible character. He was a great guy and will never be forgotten. Edge is a legend and a first ballot hall of famer. You will be missed Adam a lot, this is heartbreaking news. But I am happy Edge is going out before something really badly happens to him.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
As sad as this is, he has made the right decission, he has nothing left to prove, and it is not worth the risk in the long term. It is great that he could go out near the top of his game, and what better way than retaining the World Title at Mania.

Edge was one of WWF/WWE's most consistant all rounders for years. He had great personaity, got good heat, and had a number of stand out matches and feuds. The two I would pick out are the feud with Kurt Angle and episcally their match at Backlash 2002, and the TLC match with John Cena at Unforgiven 2006. Edge worked wonders with Cena, and the Rated-R Superstar and Mr Money in the Bank characters were highlights also. The tag team with Christian was maybe one of the top five in wrestling of the past decade.

Good luck to him in his retirement.

Dademo

Reaction score
Edge was extremely entertaining and I'll miss him for sure. He's a lock in the hall of fame. He's accomplished a lot and I wish him well. I gotta say my favorite moment was that first MITB cash in, which was completely unexpected and definitely set the stage for the excitement of the cash in. And his spear on Hardy at WM 17, which was so sick.

Anyways, he's always been a favorite, not just saying this since he's retired, but I had major respect for the stuff he pulls in the ring. I hope everything goes well for him and I agree and respect his decision, no doubt.

Although this is a serious injury, in 5-10 years from now, even less, we'll be marking out if this guy makes an appearance at a PPV or a show.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I hate that he is gone but this has made people realize how important Edge was. Many people saw him as a top guy but not a superstar. I always disagreed. The guy was pure money in everything he did and had some phenomenal matches over the years. Sad to see him go.

Purple PuNk

Reaction score
Wow I go out of the loop for nearly a month, and I come back to this? He always was my favourite wrestler, and in all honesty having to read this and find out a week or so after it happened just sucks. I feel like I want to cry. Hope WWE finds a way to keep him around on the mic for awhile. I would still love to see Adam Copeland. If he cannot stay the circumstances are completely understandable... but damn!

The_RB_Brand

Reaction score
Edge did say he was going off the radar for a while. He also said that he will always be a part of WWE in some respective fashion. I think 2 years maybe 3 years from now we'll see Edge as like a guest host of RAW or even a general manager roll. How ever those are highly unlikely to happen. He did hint in a return 4 years or so from now but not as a wrestler....who knows maybe commentator? we all may never know. How ever I'm glade he was able to walk out on his own man power on his retirement night.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Well he has gone on the recent tour to Europe as a farewell tour so it seems like he will be sticking around for a little bit longer. I think he will stay with the Smackdown crew until Extreme Rules when someone wins his WHC. Plus his WWE film comes out some time this year so he will be back to promote that. Eventually a role as colour commentator could work but it just depends if he wants to travel everywhere with WWE again even if it is for just one day a week.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
I would like Edge as a color commentator. I mean him and Booker on Smackdown would be a good combo in my opinion, heck maybe on Raw if they wanted too. So that could be a good route for him.