Does appreciation come with time?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Reason I made this thread because seeing on forums and news sites that have comments I see stuff like how epic Orton was in 09 and how Orton's age of Orton time period was a all time great heel run of this decade and such. Which is funny to me cause I remember how much people would shit on Orton's character complaining about his booking and such. Can say the same about Cena's "super Cena run" that got made out as the worst thing to happen to wrestling but nowadays you actually see people praise his work. So when I see some complaints about today's product it just makes me wonder if a year or so from now will people go back and praise some of the stuff that they dissed at the time or at least soften their stance on it.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
All depends on how the masses treat it. As soon as the majority start appreciating and saying how good it was and that it wasn't that bad... then everyone else is gonna follow.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
I initially remember Orton's heel push getting a lot of praise. I'm talking like late 2007, 2008. It was only in 2009 that I seem to remember people complaining about the monotonous booking. His horrible program with Triple H at Wrestlemania didn't help.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
His 09 run from what I saw got a lot of praise at first until they brought in the whole IED thing and then it got shitted on. the 07-08 Orton though I hardly remember seeing much praise for it cause of lack of clean wins, etc. But now it's like a total 180 saying how he was a bad ass heel and how no heel since has touched that run I'm like what, lol. I do realize it's different depending on what forum you're on though so if anyone has any stories on how stuff was perceived at the time on whatever forum you were on this is the thread for it.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Back on PWM, their most active night of all time was No Mercy 2007 when he won initially won the title. I remember being online that night, and the response was great. Guys like RVD and Michaels (iirc) had worked with Orton and put him over heading into his title program. He got some real momentum at the right time. Even going into WM24, after his enjoyable feud with Hardy (one of Hardy's few highlights), I remember he was still running hot. Continued right through him punting Vince, which was a great moment. The next week killed that with that dumb IED shit (as you mentioned).

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Yeah seems like no matter what forum it is a lot of people weren't feeling the IED thing at all. It wasn't overly horrible to me just seemed unneeded esp looking back since they made him say it was bs anyways. I liked his run though during that time it just came to a screeching stop when Triple H beat him at mania. They really could have done more with that run and used it to put over a up and coming face.

TheZig

Reaction score
In the IWC people will jump on the band wagon of course, But the fact is Orton hasn't done anything relevant or interesting in a long time. I can't think of a stand out feud he has had since turning face.

Pete

Reaction score
Orton was boring in '04 already (at least to me). And I do remember people criticizing the product WWE was putting out in '04/'05 as recently as two years ago. Now all of a sudden it's considered good just because it wasn't PG.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
In the IWC people will jump on the band wagon of course, But the fact is Orton hasn't done anything relevant or interesting in a long time. I can't think of a stand out feud he has had since turning face.

I totally disagree.

Christian and Mark Henry both had career best feuds with him, plus the Barrett and Rhodes feuds weren't exactly poor.

He's better than ever, IMO (although the 'legend killer' gimmick was brilliant too)

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
I still don't appreciate Cena because no matter what, he's the prime focus of the company. I can respect his work, but I'm just so sick of him getting top billing. He needs time off, and can't even wrestle, but he won't go away. He's teased going away now, but he never does.

Undertaker

Reaction score
Appreciation does come with time. If a new wrestler joins the company he isn't exactly respected by the fans and most fans tend to wait before they pass judgement on a beginner in the WWE. Respect for the new wrestlers occurs overtime, it isn't an instant thing. However, some wrestlers never fully gain the respect of the fans but this can be for a variety of reasons. I think it is fair to say that it's up to WWE how much respect you get from the fans dependant on what they give you to work with. Also, because wrestling has moved on so much in the past 10-20 years its a lot more difficult for someone to build up a reputation with the fans where they are both appreciated and respected.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Hindsight is 20/20, people usually complain about the times they are in and always look fondly at the past.

People who hate Cena now, will complain about how the next top guy doesn't compare to him.

Schmidty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio2
Favorite Wrestler
bige
Favorite Wrestler
sheamus2
To be honest I only diss on faces most of the time. I just do not like the crowd pleasers too much. Most faces just "Suck Up" to the crowd,but some guys like Stone Cold, I have no problem with because they have the "Bad Ass" Gimmick. And I Simply like Christian because of his ability and his old tag team matches with Edge.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
Cena buries people on the mic and with his super Cena performances only those who are well established in the company have been able to survive a feud with him and his character is just too phony like I hate it, I respect the work he does for the company but I also know that he would leave in a heart beat if Hollywood came knocking which they won't.

Orton I never liked I always thought he was overrated and he was a nutcase backstage and I firmly believe him being the asshole he was killed Kofi Kingston's feud and was partially responsible for Anderson losing his job in the WWE.

I don't appreciate either guy and I really hated Orton during his feud with Christian as Christian never got a 1 on 1 win against him not to mention the whole feud in my view completely buried Christian which was really unneccassary he could've had a good run as world champ.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Cena buries people on the mic and with his super Cena performances only those who are well established in the company have been able to survive a feud with him and his character is just too phony like I hate it, I respect the work he does for the company but I also know that he would leave in a heart beat if Hollywood came knocking which they won't.

Orton I never liked I always thought he was overrated and he was a nutcase backstage and I firmly believe him being the asshole he was killed Kofi Kingston's feud and was partially responsible for Anderson losing his job in the WWE.

I don't appreciate either guy and I really hated Orton during his feud with Christian as Christian never got a 1 on 1 win against him not to mention the whole feud in my view completely buried Christian which was really unneccassary he could've had a good run as world champ.

21430530.jpg