Could WWE pull off a NJPW style faction system?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
Aside from the wrestling the one thing I appreciate about NJPW is how they handle their factions. Just about most of wrestlers belong to one and yet it isn't their entire gimmick. They're mostly independent coming together when necessary like well organized wrestler unions. Probably not the best example but I digress-- 4 factions they all stand out from each other, Bullet Club, Los Ingobernales de Japon, Chaos and Suzuki Gun. All unique with charismatic leaders who are ( as far as I know) in the main event scene. There's a great sense of comradery between these 4 groups that you don't see normally and I love it.

My question is could this type of faction system work in west? WWE hasn't really been faction heavy in a while, the last one I can remember was the Authority and they were shitty. For whatever reason WWE likes to book these factions to crumble via betrayal or internal tensions of some sort. So like what if they decided to ditch that? What if They created 3-4 factions, 2 on RAW 2 on Smackdown and didn't book them like they normally do? Instead each faction fought for control over their respective shows and worked as well organized group of WWE superstars instead of a gang that jump whoever they're feuding with. Could it work? Would Vince do something like this?

Wardi_12

The Artiste
Reaction score
I think it could work but only on one show, since the brand split the shows have been quite different and if they both introduce factions that will ruin it. However I think if they did go for it on one it would be raw, there is already 1 group that could be a faction which is the authority. When Mick Filey leaves Triple H could take over and start off with KO and Samoa Joe, over time superstars will slowly filter into their factions and then after the "rebels" take over from the authority a small group may want to have the power for themselves and try to overthrow the leader, maybe Seth or Balor. This would probably bring in some more views to raw as well as NJPW fans will want to see how they tackle the factions.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I think it depends on if they do it right...

They can't over-do it but knowing WWE they may. As well, with how repetitive their booking can be, that may cause it to be faction vs faction all the time and it will be like Team Bella vs Team B.A.D vs Team P.C.B...

It will go on...

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
No. Vince is far too flippy floppy in his booking for this to work. He doesn't have the attention span to consistently book something like this in the long term. He could probably make 1, maybe 2 factions work and function. But nowhere near the level of the amount of factions that exist in Japanese wrestling (mainly New Japan, DDT and Dragon gate. Those are the truly faction heavy ones).

And let's not pretend like Japanese wrestling factions don't end because of in-fighting/betrayal. That's basically the go to way to end a faction in Japan. Suzuki-Gun was born out of Taka Michinoku and Taichi betraying Satoshi Kojima, ending Kojima-Gun and forming Suzuki-Gun. Same with Chaos, which was born out of Toru Yano and the rest of Great Bash Heel (minus Honma) turning on Togi Makabe. Heck. If you are willing to stretch it the Bullet Club was also born out of this principle. But using a tag team instead of a stable ( Devitt turning on Taguchi, thus ending Apollo 55).

And lets not delve into the wacky world of Dragon Gate. Where faction warfare has driven the company creatively since it was born.

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
No. Vince is far too flippy floppy in his booking for this to work. He doesn't have the attention span to consistently book something like this in the long term. He could probably make 1, maybe 2 factions work and function. But nowhere near the level of the amount of factions that exist in Japanese wrestling (mainly New Japan, DDT and Dragon gate. Those are the truly faction heavy ones).

And let's not pretend like Japanese wrestling factions don't end because of in-fighting/betrayal. That's basically the go to way to end a faction in Japan. Suzuki-Gun was born out of Taka Michinoku and Taichi betraying Satoshi Kojima, ending Kojima-Gun and forming Suzuki-Gun. Same with Chaos, which was born out of Toru Yano and the rest of Great Bash Heel (minus Honma) turning on Togi Makabe. Heck. If you are willing to stretch it the Bullet Club was also born out of this principle. But using a tag team instead of a stable ( Devitt turning on Taguchi, thus ending Apollo 55).

And lets not delve into the wacky world of Dragon Gate. Where faction warfare has driven the company creatively since it was born.

I'm not too familiar with how they book the factions but they seem to last longer.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with how they book the factions but they seem to last longer.
You can argue that they last too long. Chaos has been around since 2009 and is basically just a second home army at this point. Bullet Club has overstayed its welcome as well outside of the merchandise table. Same argument could also be made for Suzuki-gun but they got moved to NOAH for two years so they still feel fresh to the new japan fanbase.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I'm surprised there aren't more factions around in wrestling nowadays...
And I'm a big fan of The Wyatt Family, SAni†Y and Decay in TNA.

I think its just lazy writing/booking...I mean its harder to write story lines
and book matches when you have to take a faction into account.
Vince tends to cut good factions too short and keep bad ones ongoing *coughNewDaycough*.
Isn't the New Day being kept together simply to sell merchandise?

I mean I want a Big E Heel turn/singles push...but as long as that
merch keeps selling I doubt I'll see it.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I'm surprised there aren't more factions around in wrestling nowadays...
And I'm a big fan of The Wyatt Family, SAni†Y and Decay in TNA.

I think its just lazy writing/booking...I mean its harder to write story lines
and book matches when you have to take a faction into account.

Isn't the New Day being kept together simply to sell merchandise?

I mean I want a Big E Heel turn/singles push...but as long as that
merch keeps selling I doubt I'll see it.

The group is sooooo stale at this point that is the only reason I can see why they still are together. Big E needs to turn on them and get a singles run.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
The group is sooooo stale at this point that is the only reason I can see why they still are together. Big E needs to turn on them and get a singles run.

And Kofi should have one last good singles run...and Xavier Woods can do great if they let him be him...They're all good and frankly the fact they made the New Day last as long as they did and have their success is great. Just their act was running into the ground. It is not to say they can't have some funny moments, their Ice Cream stuff was actually kind of funny the other week on Raw (and I'm craving some) but they need to split soon.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
And Kofi should have one last good singles run...and Xavier Woods can do great if they let him be him...They're all good and frankly the fact they made the New Day last as long as they did and have their success is great. Just their act was running into the ground. It is not to say they can't have some funny moments, their Ice Cream stuff was actually kind of funny the other week on Raw (and I'm craving some) but they need to split soon.

Kofi can wrestle but ehh. Then Xavier is good on the mic but in the ring ehh. I mean there was a reason they were put together. To play off each other's strengths and weaknesses. Big E can be the serious quiet brute or the goofy big guy. I think if he was given the chance, he would shock a lot of people. And for his size, he is decent in the ring.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Kofi can wrestle but ehh. Then Xavier is good on the mic but in the ring ehh. I mean there was a reason they were put together. To play off each other's strengths and weaknesses. Big E can be the serious quiet brute or the goofy big guy. I think if he was given the chance, he would shock a lot of people. And for his size, he is decent in the ring.

Xavier is actually really solid in the ring. If you give him a chance he can put forward an entertaining match.

Would elaborate more...but I found Kartana...and I forgot I hadn't finished the side quest in Sun....AND IT IS SCARY!!!

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Xavier is actually really solid in the ring. If you give him a chance he can put forward an entertaining match.

Would elaborate more...but I found Kartana...and I forgot I hadn't finished the side quest in Sun....AND IT IS SCARY!!!

I'm not saying he is bad, he is just dry for my taste. Then again, he never had a legit singles run so he could improve and do better on his own, who knows.

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
To bring the thread full circle and put it back on topic and answer the question at hand...

No.

Nuh uh.

nope.jpg

Vince likes to flip-flop and change his mind at the drop of a hat as mentioned above.
It would take far more work to build legitimate stables and keep them running as long as NJPW than he is willing to invest.