• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Best WWE superstar 2016

• AJ Styles

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Shinsuke Nakamura

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kevin Owens

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Charlotte

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Sasha Banks

• Seth Rollins

• Samoa Joe

• Finn Balor

• Chris Jericho

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • The Miz

• Roman Reigns

• Someone else...

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
rsz_aj-min.jpg

2016 is coming to an end, so I have one simple question for you... Who has been the best wrestler in WWE(including NXT!) this year?

Is it AJ Styles for his amazing technical ability and consistency?
Is it Charlotte for the record-breaking matches, ring work and heel character?
Is it Chris Jericho for his comedy-heel schtick?
Is it Shinsuke Nakamura for putting on the best matches of the year?

Let's hear your thoughts and vote in the poll!

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Can I do "someone else" so I can tie the Revival members? Nah?

Welp then, they don't want none.

Reactions: Solidus1

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Yeah, Jericho has to be up there. He's been so entertaining since he turned heel.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Oh geez you just reminded me of that Rooty Tooty Booty face run.......

CYgYFirUwAAltJL.png

Looking up the whole Observer award categories... seems like a fun day to post those no?

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Yeah, Jericho has to be up there. He's been so entertaining since he turned heel.

I'm also watching him in 1999 just after his WWF arrival. I missed most of the 2000's and I remember him from WCW (Greenburg lol) and he was called Lionheart IIRC.

He might be to likeable as a heel but I am leaningf towards him being one of the greats now in terms of being a total package (technical, performance, mic work). Only a few can beat him overall, he is better at wrestling than say Austin/Rock, not as charismatic of course (close though).

Him Charlotte and The Miz are really the only effective heels and even Jericho is a bit to likeable.

AJ is great but maybe not a great heel, to likeable/skilled.

Reactions: Solidus1
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
wAjEdMB
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero2
anigif_enhanced-1032-1430800704-4.gif

I love AJ. I'm a Styles mark all day every day and have been since like 2008 but I don't think he has had quite the year Sami Zayn has had in terms of pure performance. Here is a quick list of PPV's in 2016 where Sami Zayn had the best match on the card and was a major reason for why it was so good.

1. NXT Takeover Dallas - A perfect match storytelling match with fantastic in ring work, Sami really pulled it all out and in turn Shinsuke Nakamura gave it all as well for what is in my opinion the best WWE match of the year.

2. Wrestlemania 32 - the ladder match which he almost single handedly carried in my opinion, really bizarre to say that when Owens is also in the match but all of the spots were Zayn's and he did some incredible stuff and got the crowd behind him very fast.

3. Payback 16 - The first of his awesome PPV matches with Owens, even for the tame affair it was intended to be it still was the best match on the card.

4. Extreme Rules 16 - The insane Fatal Four Way with Miz, Cesaro and Owens which once again Zayn was the key player in it and came out looking like the best wrestler and in favor of the crowd.

5. Battleground 16 - The incredible match with Owens. This was the epitome of WWE storytelling and psychology in a match and it was perfect. Zayn and Owens tore down the house on fucking Battleground of all shows and then guess who isn't on the Summerslam main card. *Sigh*

It could also be argued that his match with Jericho at NOC was the best match of that PPV. Despite constantly being forgot by WWE creative post draft and bound to be absolutely squashed and buried by Braun Strowman in the coming months, Zayn has proved time and time again why he should be a contender for not only best wrestler in the WWE but best wrestler in the world.

TL;DR: Sami Zayn is like the best dude.

Last edited:

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
My answer overall is AJ Styles. When I look at both his kayfabe accomplishments and overall body of work, he had a solid year. He started off fairly well, minus a few losses, and when he started a feud with Cena, his stock really rose. He became a perfect sniveling heel, and won the WWE World Championship within one year of being in the company. He had great matches at multiple PPVs and him being in WWE has been a long time dream for many of his fans, myself included.

Honorable mentions to:

Chris Jericho
Roman Reigns (from a kayfabe standpoint)
Dean Ambrose
Charlotte
Kevin Owens
The Miz
Dolph Ziggler

Last edited:
Reactions: Grievous 3D

Snowman1

Reaction score
Completely off topic post: Just looked up the star ratings for Kevin Owens and saw that according to Meltzer he's had 15 4+ star matches since the start of 2015. :damn:

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Rusev based on pure quality of work alone. Takes whatever shit angle and gimmick they give him and makes it gold.

Completely off topic post: Just looked up the star ratings for Kevin Owens and saw that according to Meltzer he's had 15 4+ star matches since the start of 2015. :damn:
Impressive that Melty can hand out all those stars. I don't think he's watched 15 matches in 2015-2016 that did not take place in the UFC

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Well...there could only be one choice for me...

tumblr_ohguqyb42X1ug3f7no1_500.png

All Hail Queen Charlotte!

But I do have to point out a few others:
Asuka: The sexy Japanese kicking machine is still undefeated
Alexa Bliss: She has been an absolute revelation since the brand split/draft.
Sami Zayn: Has featured in some truly amazing matches this year.
A.J Styles: Perhaps the best all round performer in the world right now.

Reactions: The Phenom