AJ Styles yet to sign new deal with TNA

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
pwinsider said:
Over the last few weeks, there's been a lot of talk circulating around AJ Styles, who's been with TNA since day one and is one of the most celebrated talents over the course of their 11 year run. Initially we did not report the rumor but as more and more people within the company are talking about it, it's become a story we have to address.

The story making the rounds is that Styles' contract is up in September (which is just a few weeks away) and that the two sides have yet to come to a new contract. There's also allegedly been very little attempt by TNA to get a new deal done.

Obviously, this would not be the first time TNA has let a valued talent's deal expire (Samoa Joe, Devon, Bobby Roode both come to mind) before attempting to lock them up again.

However, what is insane about all this is that Styles has been the TNA poster boy since the company launched in June 2002. He was the nucleus of the original X-Division and grew into one of their best, most loyal performers, including taking part in the Styles vs. Joe vs. Chris Daniels bout that is considered the best TNA match of all time. Styles is one of a select few branded as a "TNA guy" similar to how Sting was seen as a "WCW guy" a generation ago.

The idea that TNA hasn't locked him in with about a month to go in his current deal is strange on a lot of levels - Styles' WWE counterparts would have been signed well before they were close to a deal expiring. The idea that they could put themselves into a situation where WWE could come in and swoop him up sounds ridiculous on paper, but all signs are that's the position TNA is putting themselves in.

Even odder is that TNA is in the midst of a big storyline with Styles, which will culminate on tonight's episode of Impact Wrestling.
As soon as we confirm more, we will update, but earlier today the following was posted on Styles' official Facebook page: "Where do fans want AJ Styles to be? TNA? WWE? ROH? Japan? Lots of options. Tough decisions."

Would be big news if he failed to re-sign with TNA and decided to test the waters elsewhere. It is a bit ridiculous that they are letting another contract run so close to the wire rather than getting it sorted many months in advance. Would be massive news if he left because he is TNA, he has been there since day one and has been their top home grown star for so long.

Styles is already 36 so if he was going to try WWE then this would be the time to do it, if he waits until his next contract expires it might be too late. He should look over and see how well Punk and Bryan have done there and whilst he isn't quite at their level he can see that WWE in recent years don't have an issue with pushing smaller guys. I think he should take a chance and see if WWE want him, why stay for your entire career in a smaller pond when you could have the chance to see how far you can go in the number one company. He has wrestled basically the same guys for over a decade so why not try and see how he can go against the best in the business. Obviously it depends if WWE even want him but I think that they would and they wouldn't bother sending him to developmental either. Next Paul Heyman Guy?

In the end even if he doesn't sign and tries to get into WWE and it fails TNA will always take him back. He can go work ROH or Japan for a bit and then it will be a huge return in TNA. He might just be doing this to boost his price anyway.

Can you see him leaving? Do you think WWE would be interested in him? Could he make it in WWE?

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
If this is true, which I have my doubts on. Then AJ is look ing for a better deal much like everyone else does to TNA. That or TNA really doesn't have an office who know what they are doing. He won't gel with WWE, he's been in the supposed number 2 company for 11 years and still doesn't cut decent promos. He still doesn't have a voice of his own and I doubt he will be able to do half the shit he does in the ring, patly because they might be wary on a guy that old and think they might get a REy Mysterio type talent who was already on wounded knees when he signed and don't want to get burned down the line.

That OR it's probs bullshit and we see this guy at BFG winning their title.

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
I can't really see him going to WWE. Not that I think he couldn't do well there, it's just, if he was going, I figure he would of tried years ago.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I imagine he'll resign with TNA but I wouldn't mind seeing him go balls to the wall in the midcard with Kofi, RVD, Christian, Ziggler etc could put on some fun as hell matches.

Just think that issues such as his name and whether or not he would have to go through NXT would work against him signing there.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Totally agree with Deezy about how he can't cut a promo. To me, Roode and Aries have much more value in coming to WWE. They could actually be a somebody if they came to WWE. Styles would be just another high flyer/mid carder, which isn't a bad thing but I'm not sure if his ego can handle that.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
With WWE's fetish for vanilla midgets I'd say there's been no better time than now to go there.

John Morrison does the same job better though, so TNA and WWE should be looking at him instead.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Can't see AJ going to WWE, he'll just resign. Or this is bullshit and it'll be like Devon last year, TNA really doesn't get enough credit for working the Internet, but that's probably because the angles they work us with suck.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Update on AJ:

PWInsider said:
AJ Styles and TNA are set for their next round in contract negotiations this week, according to sources. As Dave Scherer wrote, it's going to come down to one thing - money. If the sides can come to terms financially, Styles will remain with the company.

I think they'll come to an agreement on a new contract for AJ. Just don't see him leaving TNA

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
After how they ruined his new character and had him just randomly join the Main Event Mafia, I'd say he should just leave. That was terrible booking and this guy has incredible talent. He should try his luck in WWE and I think he'll quickly get over with the crowd there and win some championships that mean something.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the guy, and would love to see him have a run in WWE, but who's to say they would want him?? There is really no example of a guy who came from TNA and accomplished anything in the big leagues... Don't count Christian and RVD as they already had their WWE stripes...It's not like he would fill some glaring need they have, if anything he'd probably get stuck at the bottom of the midcard behind the guys that are already there who work a similar style, or worse yet be sent to NXT for "seasoning" and that would just be embarrassing for him.. If TNA is willing to throw him good money, he's probably better off staying and cementing his legacy there as the guy who stayed from beginning to end

Reactions: 1 person

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Anybody ever stop to think that AJ doesn't want to go to WWE because he knows what he has in TNA? Like he is too unsure of his abiliities to make it in the mainstage? He has been in the business for how long now? And has he ever actually found his own voice? This guy is nothing but a good mechanic who can do some flips, but doesn't have star making qualities, his only real shine was back in 04 and has been nothing but a lackey to everyone ever since. Maybe he just goes with what he knows.

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Anybody ever stop to think that AJ doesn't want to go to WWE because he knows what he has in TNA? Like he is too unsure of his abiliities to make it in the mainstage? He has been in the business for how long now? And has he ever actually found his own voice? This guy is nothing but a good mechanic who can do some flips, but doesn't have star making qualities, his only real shine was back in 04 and has been nothing but a lackey to everyone ever since. Maybe he just goes with what he knows.

This and I also think he's very content with being "the face of TNA" while not actually doing a whole lot of importance

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
zigglerHEEL;909225[B said:
]I'm a fan of the guy, and would love to see him have a run in WWE, but who's to say they would want him?? There is really no example of a guy who came from TNA and accomplished anything in the big leagues... Don't count Christian and RVD as they already had their WWE stripes...[/B]It's not like he would fill some glaring need they have, if anything he'd probably get stuck at the bottom of the midcard behind the guys that are already there who work a similar style, or worse yet be sent to NXT for "seasoning" and that would just be embarrassing for him.. If TNA is willing to throw him good money, he's probably better off staying and cementing his legacy there as the guy who stayed from beginning to end

Problem with that is there are very few who were actually in TNA first. I guess one exception might be Mickie James but her first run in TNA amounted to very little so I guess the only way was up in WWE.

I think AJ's age could work against him and a move to WWE, but I think there would be a spot for him there if he wanted it enough and maybe this would be the right time as they have run out of fresh ideas for him in TNA, but I just think all things considered he is more happy in TNA and may well retire there. Hope they give him a decent pay increase mind.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I'm a fan of the guy, and would love to see him have a run in WWE, but who's to say they would want him?? There is really no example of a guy who came from TNA and accomplished anything in the big leagues... Don't count Christian and RVD as they already had their WWE stripes...It's not like he would fill some glaring need they have, if anything he'd probably get stuck at the bottom of the midcard behind the guys that are already there who work a similar style, or worse yet be sent to NXT for "seasoning" and that would just be embarrassing for him.. If TNA is willing to throw him good money, he's probably better off staying and cementing his legacy there as the guy who stayed from beginning to end

WWE may not want him but he won't be able to find out if he remains under contract with TNA. I don't see how it could do him any harm to let this contract expire, see if WWE are interested in him and if they aren't he can work a reduced schedule taking some big dates on the indy scene in the US and abroad and then go back to TNA. They would take him back and it wouldn't be the worst thing for him to disappear for six months.

The way I look at it is that surely you want to see how far you can go in your chosen profession and to test yourself at the top. In wrestling the top is WWE and so if he has any drive he should want to see if he could ever make it there and at the age of 36 this is probably the last chance he will get to try it.

Staying as the top guy in TNA without ever entertaining trying to get a deal with WWE is admirable but leaves a massive gap in his resume. He may be forever known as the TNA guy like Sting is known as the WCW guy but at least when Sting was there WCW was the number one company so he had a run at the top.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
He hasn't really done anything of worth for a long time. His mic skills are still as shit as when he first attempted to talk. He may be the face of the company, but that doesn't mean much these days. Would be kind of cool if he retired in TNA though.