Adam Copeland interview with Chris Van Vliet

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Adam Copeland almost joined AEW before making his WWE return in 2020.

Copeland told Chris Van Vliet recently that he had "great discussions" with AEW back in late 2019 and was "really close" to joining the company.

Copeland said:

So when I first started talking to AEW, I wasn’t yet cleared. I had made it, we talked about it like the bosses of each video game level. But I still wasn’t cleared by company doctors, right? So once all of those clearances started to come, I was like, Oh, this is real now. Okay. So before I did anything, I had to go kind of get the final clearance needed for either company. But I had negotiated with everybody. I was like, Okay, here’s where I’m at, here’s what I’ve been told I can do and started the process. And then in going to WWE, and sitting down with Vince, he goes well, it’s got to happen here. At that stage, I looked at the equity built and it felt like having to start over, especially having to start over after having been gone for nine years felt really daunting, if that makes sense. It felt like at least with WWE that’s one thing off the table that I don’t have to worry about. I can come back and walk into the history of this character. I do feel like it needed to have happened there initially. I really do, if only for that Royal Rumble moment right before the pandemic hit and just feeling and experiencing that I’m happy the way it turned out.
Copeland was also asked about the possibility of extending his in-ring career if AEW were to offer him a contract extension.

He responded:

I mean, if I can still keep performing at a level, but more importantly a level that I can feel proud of. I just don’t want to get to a point where I’m like really struggling and just it’s like pulling teeth to get it done. I don’t want to do that. And thankfully, because of my career, I’m at a point where I don’t have to do that. I’m doing this because I just love it.
Copeland continued to say that he doesn't want to miss spending time with his family but he's also hoping that his daughters see the hard work he's putting in.

Copeland continued:

I also think, and I’ve talked to the girls about this, I’m hoping they see the work ethic and the work that I still put in to do this thing that I want to do even though I don’t have to do it. I’m hoping that they see that and can rub off and they pick up some lessons from that too.
But by the same token, I want to be here for everything for them. And I’ve been able to manage it and be around for the Shakespeare plays and be around to run drama club with Beth and take Lyric to her audition tonight. I’m still able to be there for those things. I haven’t missed a birthday. So it’s just a matter of being able to balance both so far. It’s possible.
In March, Copeland defeated his longtime friend Christian Cage in the main event of AEW Dynamite from their hometown of Toronto. When asked if he believes Cage is doing the best work of his career right now, Copeland responded:

I think so. And that’s only because I do feel like he was limited beforehand. Throughout the years, I think, again, you keep hitting the glass ceiling and some will break through, but I don’t think it was ever meant for him to break through and that has got to be frustrating.
When asked about Cage frequently mocking wrestlers for having dead relatives, Copeland said:

And I think that was a happy accident. I think like so many things that end up working. It just ended up being a happy accident and then you start to like go oh, well if this person will be that. And I am in virgin territory for that, never met my dad. Are you kidding? Like he’s gonna have a field day with this.
The full interview with Copeland is available below.

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
Cope in AEW has really worked for me and especially his more hardcore matches in a way over veterans do not work for me at all. Loved his match with Brody King on Dynamite

Reactions: Death By Looch