1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion: Worst Royal Rumble Winner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Swamps, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Swamps

Swamps Indie Wrestler

In this thread, I hope we can have a little input on everyone's opinions o who they feel is the worst Royal Rumble winner(s), and who they would have liked to have won instead. Or, who you felt would have been a better choice to have been the winner in this case. I'm more of an old school fan, so a lot of my choices are going to be from some of the earlier years. Also due to military commitments, there was a time span I didn't get to watch wrestling.

I'm going to start with the First one that was a main event Pay Per View deal. So I'm starting with 1989's winner Big John Studd (I know Hacksaw won in 1988 but it wasn't really a big deal that year and there was still a possibility of it being a one off). Nothing against Big John but this guy really shouldn't have won. Also just a few months after winning, he was out of the company. Also, the only real thing of merit he was known for at the time was getting smashed by Andre The Giant repeatedly.

Instead, I would have had Hulk Hogan win this year due to the main event going to be him and Macho Man. This would have given the event a big rub and would have added a little more to the main event of WrestleMania. I would have had Hogan accidently eliminate Savage towards the end and this would have given Savage even more reason to distrust Hogan. Other than the Elizabeth stuff. My second choice to win would have been The Million Dollar Man. Him buying number 30 (which he did) and winning after eliminating Hogan last would have been epic.

In the other thread I already said Hogan wasn't the right choice in 1990. He was already the WWF Champion, so the only reason I saw giving him the win was giving the event a rub in its sophomore year. I said I would have liked to have seen Mr. Perfect win because he was red hot at the time, and I stand buy that. I would have had him win, and challenge the Warrior sometime after WrestleMania 6. He would have had a legit claim to being number one contender since he won the Rumble by eliminating Hogan last. I still would have had Warrior feud with Rude first, so he would have a top heel to work with since Henning was still new to WWF. I would have kept Perfect strong all year, and then had him take the title off of Warrior at the next Royal Rumble instead of SGT Slaughter. And no, I would have not made Perfect a Iraqi Sympathizer. Keep Hogan's win at the 1991 Rumble and have them go at it at WrestleMania 7. Yeah, Henning may have a transitional run, but maybe it would have prevented the whole Lex Express Crap in 1993 and 1994.

2011 - Alberto Del Rio... Really, why WWE? Why? Why not have CM Punk win instead? I mean, he could have won took the title at Mania, drop it back, and still get the Pipebomb/Summer of Punk. It would have made more sense to me, to have Punk win. I think WWE had Del Rio penciled in to win the WHC at Mania until Edge was retiring, but with the situation with Edge's neck up in the air prior to Mania, I fell a RAW Superstar should have won. Punk made the most sense.

Anyway, I could ramble on all day about this, but I'm curious as to what you gentlemen think.

2. Roadster

Roadster Il Capitano Administrator

Worst Winner: Alberto del Rio 2011, Sheamus 2012, John Cena 2013, Batista 2014, Roman Reigns 2015, Triple H 2016, Randy Orton 2017, Shinsuke Nakamura 2018.

Alberto del Rio was a good way to get him over, but they failed to capitalize. He should've won the title, and retired Edge. Granted, Edge had no idea he was going to retire. Nonetheless, he lost the title to Christian for feelgood sake and he ended up losing to Orton like 2 days later. Christian v. Orton is one of the best rivalries of all time, but it wasted a great 40-man Rumble.

Chris Jericho should've won 2012, and having Sheamus turn face and destroy Bryan was a total waste of time and the second time they did that same thing.

2013 was a joke, the Mania was a joke too so I can't be too hard on Cena winning the Rumble.

2014/15 are the worst Rumble matches and events in history, so pick your poison I guess.

2016 was another absolute shite year and Rumble and Rumble event and Mania.

2017 and 2018 were disappointing but not really the worst. Lots of potential with Orton and Bray and Nakamura and Styles. Having Nakamura and Styles put on a great match like they did in Japan and continuing on the great story that Orton v. Bray had would've done wonders, but they hijacked the shitty matches and turned the programs into non-sensical wastes of time.

Why turn Nakamura? He was getting the biggest pops every night. Why move Bray to RAW? He was in a SmackDown title program.

The absolute worst would probably be Cena in 2013 since there was no benefit. Mania 29 didn't sell as well as Mania 28 and they lost their chance at having that Punk v. Cena v. Rock triple threat to spice things up.

3. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Indie Wrestler

Asuka and Nakamura.

Everyone else was fine.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. chrisburr

chrisburr Trainee

Easily it's Vince McMahon is easily the worst winner

Batista's 2nd royal rumble win comes in a close second because after Mania he never got another shot at the belt, plus another disastrous return and another failed heel turn and run

5. Roadster

Roadster Il Capitano Administrator

Vince was non-consequential. They just didn't want to make Austin win it for like the 3rd year, in a row.

6. Morton Downey Jr

How was Batista's post-mania run a failure?

It drew the highest quarter hours in May. The Evolution vs Shield programme boosted the ratings after Bryan's title reign tanked them.

7. chrisburr

chrisburr Trainee

It was a failure for Batista Because Batista did not win the belt nor got another Crack at it, so him winning the rumble was wasted

It was a success for Bryan because he won 2 matches at mania and the title

The shield owned evolution

8. Morton Downey Jr

You are talking like you think wrestling is real.

9. chrisburr

chrisburr Trainee

I never said it was real...

I am not going to get into the Real vs Fake Debate and stuff...

Keep the Real vs Fake Debate to yourselves...

I'm just stating what happened.

10. Morton Downey Jr

The Shield did not destroy Evolution. In real terms, Evolution gave The Shield the rub.

In terms of performance level, Evolution is streets ahead of the The Shield. Batista is slightly better than Reigns, Orton is better than Ambrose, and HHH is miles better than Rollins could ever dream of being.

HHH also carried Bryan in their feud.

11. chrisburr

chrisburr Trainee

Triple H and Randy Orton are for sure going to be first ballot hall of famers (good chance of going in 2019, especially Triple H) make no mistake about that.

Batista used to be good until he turned heel on Rey Mysterio, then later leaving WWE...

He then had two disastrous returns which hurt his credibility.

Had Batista not left wwe for long periods of time, he'd probably also be in the discussion.

Evolution on the whole is also another no brainer.

12. Morton Downey Jr

Batista was the best thing about WWE in early 2010. He was a better heel than Punk and Bryan could ever dream of being.

His second run was great once he turned heel as well. Only Bryan fanboys think otherwise. This is probably the best promo cut this decade