1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

WWE booking champions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juventudinho, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Il Capitano Administrator

Am I the only one that finds WWE's booking of their champions to make no sense.

The champions get brutalized every week. No matter who the champion is, they lose a lot. This used to be reserved for champions that had no faith from the suits like Mysterio and Punk, but now just about everyone from The B Team to Charlotte take a steaming L every week before somehow getting the win in a match that counts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Cortana

Cortana UNSC AI Serial Number: CTN 0452-9 Super Moderator The Four Horsemen

I agree, their booking of champions is trash. I always believed that champions should never lose unless it's to the number 1 contender, a team being holstered up as the number 1 contender or a champion of higher status. For example: I see it fine to have the Intercontinental Champion beat the United States Champion cleanly or vice versa. Though I wouldn't have either of them beat the WWE Champion or Universal Champion cleanly due to those belts being the highest in the company. Tag teams the same, though I feel like in singles competition they should be able to beat everyone, but any singles champion cleanly. Champions should be held in high regards, as such champions should have a high status of wins.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Swamps

Swamps Indie Wrestler

I've been scratching my head for years on this one. Especially during Rey Mysterio's first WHC run. I mean, they jobbed him out like the Brooklyn Brawler left and right. The only time a champion should take a pinfall or submission loss is to set up for a title match. Kind of like they did with Tatanka pinning IC champ HBK prior to WM 9, and like Vader pinning WWF Champion HBK to set up their Summer Slam match in 1996. It devalues your championship when your champion is taking those types of losses. A heel getting DQ'ed or Counted Out is a different situation though.

A World Champion should never take a loss by pinfall or submission, clean or not, unless setting up for something big. They shouldn't be counting lights on RAW if there is no pay off.

The same could be said for you MITB winner. Hey this guy lost 20 matches in a row, but he is now your WWE Champion all of a sudden! Who is the number one contender? Hmmm, we have 10 guys who have beaten him twice in the past three months. Ok, who pinned him the fastest? Ok, let's go with that guy, but have the guy who pinned him the second fastest pin him in a non title match to set up his next feud.

I remember listening to the Honky Tonk man on a pod cast talk about his IC Reign. Stated he counted the lights in a lot of House shows in non title matches but always won on TV. Stated it made no sense to lose and have to convince the crowd he is the best in the world when he lost three times that week already.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jay the Oddity

Jay the Oddity Indie Wrestler The Four Horsemen

50/50 booking is the answer. You lose some and you win some.

5. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Il Capitano Administrator

It's so boring, predictable and defeats the purpose of a champion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jay the Oddity

Jay the Oddity Indie Wrestler The Four Horsemen

Oh, I agree, but that is why because WWE thinks 50/50 booking is amazing and helps people out as well as helps the stories.