Without Cena and Reigns?

Morton Downey Jr

Indie Wrestler
Feb 7, 2018
The smarks said that WWE would enter a new golden age. Yet, this week's RAW was one of the lowest rated in the show's history.

Maybe the problem wasn't Cena or Reigns. Maybe it was over-saturation, the obsessive section of their fanbase, a weak talent pool and poor booking.

Roadster

Il Capitano
Administrator
Sep 29, 2017
United States of America
No one said that Reigns and Cena were the problem, they were apart of the problem, as are most of WWE’s roster, which is what you listed.

chrisburr

Trainee
Dec 9, 2018
The main problem is the current RAW GM Baron Corbin

I like him most times

But as a RAW GM though, he has sucked badly!

Swamps

Indie Wrestler
Donor
Jul 22, 2018
Atlanta
Cena has been saying he wants to return as a heel, but backstage they frown upon that idea. Man just think of how fresh that would be if he did.

chrisburr

Trainee
Dec 9, 2018
Cena has been saying he wants to return as a heel, but backstage they frown upon that idea. Man just think of how fresh that would be if he did.
He should have turned heel when he beat the rock at mania for the title!

Missed opportunity there...

But since he is nearing the end of his wrestling career, I doubt it will happen.

Reactions: Highspot

Doug Hamilton

Rookie
Dec 13, 2018
The smarks said that WWE would enter a new golden age. Yet, this week's RAW was one of the lowest rated in the show's history.

Maybe the problem wasn't Cena or Reigns. Maybe it was over-saturation, the obsessive section of their fanbase, a weak talent pool and poor booking.
I don't think the problem has ever been Cena or Reigns, or any one individual superstar for that matter. I believe that WWE's biggest issue in recent years has been the lack of creativity with their booking and too much emphasis on select performers over others.

Highspot

Failure is not an option
Administrator
Sep 29, 2017
Here is my feelings on it. You can't blame it one person the blame is everywhere. I think the WWE listens to much to its fans at times and should turn Cena heal. Stop having 5 hour promos in the beginning of the show and just wrestle. We don't want some soap opera as we want two people trying to kick the sh#t out of each other. Interview the the wrestler afterwards period.

Doug Hamilton

Rookie
Dec 13, 2018
Here is my feelings on it. You can't blame it one person the blame is everywhere. I think the WWE listens to much to its fans at times and should turn Cena heal. Stop having 5 hour promos in the beginning of the show and just wrestle. We don't want some soap opera as we want two people trying to kick the sh#t out of each other. Interview the the wrestler afterwards period.
@Highspot, that's such a great point! The long and often predictable promo to start the show off really kills a lot of the buzz that the crowd has prior to the event. You can go to any WWE event in any city and the crowd is super hyped prior to the event with all kinds of crazy chants and complete joy by fans of all ages. However, the predictable promos that last far too long kill the pre-show momentum. I'm not against promos but they're too scripted and the length is always ridiculous, in my opinion.

Reactions: Highspot

Highspot

Failure is not an option
Administrator
Sep 29, 2017
@Highspot, that's such a great point! The long and often predictable promo to start the show off really kills a lot of the buzz that the crowd has prior to the event. You can go to any WWE event in any city and the crowd is super hyped prior to the event with all kinds of crazy chants and complete joy by fans of all ages. However, the predictable promos that last far too long kill the pre-show momentum. I'm not against promos but they're too scripted and the length is always ridiculous, in my opinion.
My thoughts are you have to keep it as real as possible. Now, I agree they can do promos but make it to the point and personal. People love real drama or even made up ones. If I was a talent I would say offensive things on Twitter (nothing horrible) then tell wrestler X that if you say it again I will kick your ass and your family etc

Reactions: Doug Hamilton

Doug Hamilton

Rookie
Dec 13, 2018
My thoughts are you have to keep it as real as possible. Now, I agree they can do promos but make it to the point and personal. People love real drama or even made up ones. If I was a talent I would say offensive things on Twitter (nothing horrible) then tell wrestler X that if you say it again I will kick your ass and your family etc
That's another great point and I agree. Honestly, I believe that too many people frown upon the use of social media but Twitter (if used correctly) can be used to further storylines in an effective and efficient way. I wholeheartedly believe that the issue with many promos is that they're drawn out, far too predictable, and don't often build up the story or any of the characters.

Morton Downey Jr

Indie Wrestler
Feb 7, 2018
Creative sucks. But you can't polish a turd.

- Is it creative's fault that Kevin Owens is a fat slob?

- Is it creative's fault that Rollins' has a terrible voice and face?

- Is it creative's fault that Zayn looks like a taxi driver?

- Is it creative's fault that Bryan looks like he smells of piss?

Doug Hamilton

Rookie
Dec 13, 2018
Creative sucks. But you can't polish a turd.

- Is it creative's fault that Kevin Owens is a fat slob?

- Is it creative's fault that Rollins' has a terrible voice and face?

- Is it creative's fault that Zayn looks like a taxi driver?

- Is it creative's fault that Bryan looks like he smells of piss?
@Morton Downey Jr, while I understand that you and Vinnie Mac prefer the bodybuilder type of superstars, people with those bodies have so many options available to them now so wrestling doesn't collect as many of them as it once did. However, you bring up a great point, creative may be part of the issue but having believable and larger than life figures to look up to is another part of wrestling's issue. Not just the WWE but the industry as a whole. You're right that the indy-style of performers only touches upon a small portion of a potential audience and thus, the types of performers for any company is definitely contributing to the larger problem that the professional wrestling industry is facing.

Reactions: Morton Downey Jr