1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Which era was the best?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juventudinho, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Estou Pronto Administrator

What era of pro-wrestling do you think was/is the best.

When looking at the grand scope of things and not just focusing on WWE - the best era would have to be the early 2000s or the Rock 'n Wrestling period.

The early 2000s saw a golden generation of independent promotions, and wrestlers sprout. Also the unsigned yet established wrestlers in WCW and ECW were let back into the independent scene which gave the independents a broader scope. Not to mention that the need for an alternative sparked companies like ROH, TNA and many others and allowed them to grow substantially. The early 2000s wasn't that bad of an era for the mainstream promotions either. WWE was still able to contract former WCW/ECW stars while they could still wrestle.

In other words, guys like Samoa Joe, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, and so many others are thanks to the early 2000s indie wrestling boom. That was the benefits for the wrestling industry, but even the WWE also had a lot more depth in their roster, and had the best roster it had assembled in years.

As for the Rock 'n Wrestling era, it was the only time the WWE had more than 1 competitor. There was the mat-wrestling style of the AWA (lets go bockwinkel), they had the grimey southern style of the NWA, they had the emotion-driven style of WCCW and so many other promotions that built stars and made so many names that went to the WWE and changed the wrestling world. I wasn't alive during then, but being a fan and a viewer of that era has made me a big 80s mark.

2. WrestleRacer91

WrestleRacer91 Heavyweight Champion Super Moderator Platinum

Most people say the Attitude Era or the Ruthless Aggression Era but for me (only 26 years old) who has gone back and watched the Hulkamania Era (1984-1993) I'd have to go with that one. From 1987 to around 1991 was awesome. So many legends I can't even count. So my vote goes to Hulkamania Era.

3. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Estou Pronto Administrator

Bar the obvious star power, the in-ring work (in the WWE at least) was pretty bad. WWE built a philosophy that to work the same routine but with a different spot to help build it up. It's the same philosophy that's plagued the WWE since.

I think it was good, but I don't think it was the best.

• Like Like x 1