1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Well done Daniel Bryan

Discussion in 'SmackDown LIVE!' started by Morton Downey Jr, Dec 5, 2018 at 8:19 PM.

1. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Indie Wrestler

- Viewership falls below 2 million

- Down 20% on the previous year

- All while he is champion

The facts don't lie.

2. Roadster

Roadster Il Capitano Administrator

I liked his angle with Styles on SmackDown.

3. Morton Downey Jr

The numbers speak for themselves.

Bryan is a failure as a main-event wrestler.

4. Roadster

I said that I enjoyed the wrestling angle not the logistics

5. Davey Wrestling

Davey Wrestling Rookie

Facts don't lie, but they can be used to prove any point you want if you manipulate the language used...You realise that a champion isn't the sole reason for ratings in pro-wrestling don't you? This isn't boxing or MMA, factors such as entertaining storylines and public opinion also play into an individuals decision to watch or not watch any given show.

I would suggest that a drop in viewership on WWE is down to the shitshow that has been Raw for the past several months and the fact that WWE litteraly told people that Raw was the better show at Survivor Series.

6. Morton Downey Jr

If Bryan was the mega-draw that his fanboys claimed then his return and eventual title reign would have spiked the ratings. Instead, the show's viewing figures have been plummeting all year.

Bryan beat Styles a few weeks back. A new champion often draws renewed interest into a show. Bryan has failed to do that. Just like his return did earlier this year.

At the least, this proves that Bryan isn't a draw. In reality, it proves that he turns off viewers.

7. Davey Wrestling

Davey Wrestling Rookie

I doubt anyone becoming Smackdown champion outside of Lesnar, Cena or Reigns would increase viewership on Smackdown right now - because there are no entertaining storylines to draw viewers in. If WWE knew how to build stars properly their ratings would be up across the board but the only starmaking model they've ever had is the Hogan/Cena/Reigns model of "shove them down our throats".

Go back to how anybody else got over and it was through them organically growing their characters. Something which, in recent years, WWE seem to want to crush rather than allow to happen (see Zack Ryder or the way they fought Bryans rise with all their might).

Ultimately the rating are due to the way WWE promote and book their talent and who they do it with.

8. Morton Downey Jr

They didn't fight Bryan's rise. They booked him to perfection in early 2014. They played the smarks excellently.

The truth is that Bryan didn't draw as champion or as a title challenger. That's why WWE didn't push him to the moon at certain times. Why would a company push a wrestler with such limited appeal?

9. Roadster

So WWE only pushes people that draw?

10. Morton Downey Jr

No

They obviously experiment. They tried pushing Bryan and he didn't draw. As Kevin Eck said about him - "the number were just not there". Why would a company continue to back a limp horse?

11. chrisburr

chrisburr Trainee

Honestly I always preferred Daniel Bryan as a heel...

Don't get me wrong, he had his moments as a face...

But as a crazy deranged psychotic heel, he is at his best!

12. Roadster

A deranged psychotic hippie*

13. Morton Downey Jr

Can't take him seriously as a heel.

Should be in the mid-card as a face. Probably in a tag team.

14. chrisburr

chrisburr Trainee

He already tried the face route and got injured, cutting short his title run.

He's had his moments as a face, but I think he does his best work as a heel.

15. Morton Downey Jr

He's pretty useless as both.