1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Three suicides and when will it end?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Highspot, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Highspot

Highspot Failure is not an option Administrator

2. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Il Capitano Administrator

It's hard to say what's happening. It's often seen in developed nations, especially Japan. According to Human Geography, this is only the natural procession of development for society and the country. A good way to combat it would be to increase mental health funding, research and availability, but there's too many special interests involved to have that pop on the President's desk anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Highspot

Highspot Failure is not an option Administrator

I have worked in mental health and it's a predictable event(most leave notes etc). I know that 34,000 a year die of suicide. We can do more as a community and as a society but unless we focus on mental health nothing will happen.

4. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Il Capitano Administrator

We also need to be better people. We can't bank on splashing cash on mental health as the only thing.

We drive people to do this, nothing else.

5. Swamps

Swamps Indie Wrestler

This has always been a really tough subject for me. I actually lost one of my best friends to suicide in 2008. Man, just typing that out makes me realize its going to be ten years on August 21. I was actually working the night it happened. I was standing in one of my friend's front yards cutting the fool, and the fire departments tone came over the radio. As soon as I heard it, I was like "Great, either someone has another small kitchen fire to put out, or we have a wreck to go too". Then they gave his address over the radio, and said 10-44 attempt (suicide) by firearm. I froze up, and my friends that were cutting up with me knew something was up. I told them I had to go. I didn't go to the house, I didn't go to the hospital (he passed away on impact). I went home and sat in my chair thinking about everything.

Thinking about the field trip we took in second grade to the Science Museum down in Jacksonville, thinking about the time we got our asses beat by our P.E Coach for climbing on the bleachers, the fishing trips, the bon fires, all the time we played Final Fantasy 4 and 7, the trip to Jekyll Island where me and him got in trouble for accidently being on the bus when the females were changing (seriously it was accidental).

What's even worse is I never saw this coming. I knew he had been on anti depressants since he was 13, but he never shown any symptoms of this. It was a huge shock. He was on Zoloft because he had issues dealing with his father's passing when he was 13. However, in his last two years, I had been going through a bad relationship and it ended about two months before this happened. We kind of grew apart from one another, mainly because I wasn't a good friend. We took different paths, and we rarely spoke to one another. Talking to his brother (Whom I no longer associate with), I found out that he had taken up drinking too. This is a huge no no when taken dangerous anti depressants like Zoloft and Xanax. Had I been around him, I would have saw this was going on and intervened. But like I said, I was consumed by my own selfishness, that I let a friend end his own life. It still haunts me, and not a day goes by that I don't think of this. As a matter of fact, I'm in our hometown for the weekend, and I plan on visiting his grave in the morning.

The whole suicide issue has been close to me. In the military, it is reported that we lose 22 a day to suicide on average. One of my mentors was one of these casualties two years ago. Some people go to War, and either part of them doesn't return or they bring back something that they can't escape from. God knows I have my days. I have taken the Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training offered by the Army, and it has been a real eye opener to what some of the signs are. Sometimes, all people need is someone to care or at least act like they give a damn long enough to help someone else. Dealing with people my entire life, I have seen the best and worst people have to offer, and it has made me an extremely jaded individual. However, I haven't lost complete faith in humanity to the point that I will ignore some person who is obviously hurting.

Like someone said, this goes way beyond just throwing a few dollars towards mental health. That is the easy answer that may not fix the problem. The best way, most effective way, is for us to be hands on, and reach out to someone and let them know we are here for them, and that they matter to someone. When people are gone, they're gone. It is depressing and frustrating when you pick up your phone to call your friend but then you realize, they're gone. That they can't talk to you anymore. They can't laugh at your stupid fucking jokes, that no one else understands. They can't tell you to stop being a pussy and go take care of your business anymore. They are no longer their to laugh at your stupid ass for backing into a milk truck when you are the only two vehicles in the parking lot. And its even more depressing when they're not there to tell you "I love you, Cuz"

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. TUMBAS

TUMBAS Indie Wrestler Donor D-Generation X

Mental health awareness is going to be a massive situation as we are hopefully on our death beds at an old age. People don't care if your struggling. You are either fine or its too late for someone to give you that one hand you needed to help stand on your feet.