1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion State of the wrestling industry?

Discussion in 'PWF Interactive' started by Roadster, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Roadster

Roadster Il Capitano Administrator

Something that's very weird, is that pro-wrestling seems to be in a different state than ever before. We have independent wrestler's making six figures, breaking into pop culture like Omega, The Bucks and Scurll whilst WWE struggles with low gates, and low ratings. Interest in WWE is at an all-time high while Puro (mostly NJPW) and indie wrestling is at an all-time high.

What is with this shift? And with all this boost in business, how come a wrestling company hasn't made it big in the US?

I think it's a fad. A subculture, like a new punk rock. People are buying the merch and watching the shows mostly to keep up with a cool and underground trend but this meager base isn't enough for companies like ROH to really take advantage in the long run. They're not getting bigger deals, and more exposure into the mainstream because the fans are more interested in the characters than the brand. People are watching ROH for Rhodes, not ROH.

This is kind of a two-way deal. Sometimes it works, but only when the promotion already has the eye of media. When a promotion already has a strong base, the extra viewership helped with numbers and stabilized business like Austin in the WWE. However, when a promotion that doesn't have the biggest base gets new eyes for a few characters, the crowd will leave as soon as the act leaves. Unlike WWE, which retained a large portion of it's new fan-base after Austin left in 2002, ROH likely won't be able to keep their new "fan-base" if Rhodes leaves.

That's just my take on this pseudo-boom in the lower tiers of wrestling. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ¡Tranquilo!

¡Tranquilo! Indie Wrestler Donor

The problem with wrestling in the united states is the stigma associated with it. America as a whole can't accept wrestling as nothing more than " fake fighting" so therefore WWE works because it's such a grandiose, soap opera depiction of Pro Wrestling. To succeed in American Wrestling is to have top notch production and writing, it essentially has to be produced like a TV show and not a sporting event. This mindset is what I think drives the WWE casual to an ROH and NJPW, promotions that rely more so on matches to tell stories than promos. The independents are pretty much just that, stories told through combat. Like wrestling is supposed to be.

Personally I really enjoy the style of wrestling and more legitimate sports presentation of New Japan Pro Wrestling. It's refreshing and I honestly believe it is what Pro Wrestling should be in 2017.

3. Indy

Indy Indie Wrestler

The driving force of wrestling is WWE, lets be quite honest. If WWE does well, wrestling does well and if WWE does shit, wrestling does shit because no company now and no person will be bigger than what WWE as a corporation is. Botchie made a valid point with how promotions rely on matches to tell stories more than anything, but it's much more than that in my opinion. WWE micro-manages everything, which causes for a disconnect with the world because Vince has a bit of a disconnect with the world. I don't think he's a bad mind or that WWE ''should be taken over by HHH because Vince has lost touch'', but there is a disconnect in what is popular and what works, the verbiage that is used which causes promos to be unbearable at times and with the giant writing staff who probably have a mindset of ''Ah, it's just wrestling, it doesn't have to make sense'' causes wrestling fans to never feel a connection with a certain wrestler as much as they used to when storylines had to make sense, when wrestling characters felt natural rather than forced. That's exactly why the Bullet Club guys are so over and why reportedly 30% of all people at an average WWE show are wearing a Bullet Club shirt, it's because what they can do is limitless whilst the WWE guys have to follow scripts and are micro-managed pretty much. You tell stories via a match but you enhance them with commentary, with promos building anticipation and building this idea in your head of what a match like this can be, it's always worked since the end of time. They just gotta look at what worked in the past and build on that, you gotta take your craft seriously and present it as serious like what Botchie said. The ''WWE circus'' is something that always worked in the past (only for WWE mind you, almost every other successful promotion or territory promoted in a pretty legitimate presentation) when you had giant stars that could come off natural and create this bond with the viewer, but when you create a disconnect with the audience, it's something that becomes an issue more than a platform to make your star(s) feel like something bigger.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Highspot

Highspot Failure is not an option Administrator

I know this will sound bad but don't give a fuck. I love deathmatch wrestling and there is an art to it. If you see any Masada matches you see the psychology of that I sometimes watch czw,gcw and other local indies. Just support indy wrestling period and put to rest high ticket prices and get rid of cartoon phonies.

5. TUMBAS

TUMBAS Indie Wrestler Donor D-Generation X

It definitely feels like a shift in time and culture again. I simply think its wrestling become known as kind of cool again and being appreciated more. Everyone I know that doesn't watch wrestling or WWE, never really bashes it anymore. They just don't know anything about it. I think with the internet and social media it has really put you in the doorstep for nearly all wrestling action now, because all the independents have no gradually started becoming small iPPV shows and shit.

I also think it is to do with WWE branching down and working with the independents like Evolve. It is helping set an example for what WWE wants in an indy fed, and others are following suite. The internet has localized and made everything so direct and personal, that it no longer seems unfair for the little guys against WWE, because everywhere is trying to make a name for themselves by putting on great shows and utilizing great, hard working talent.

Just sorta feels like everyone is taking this seriously and working hard, I think it is gradually shifting to be respected like UFC has become. I think in another 10 years wrestling will have another boom. PWG is killing it atm for entertaining shows. They get dozens of celebrities returning for every show.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Roadster

No mention of PWG please and thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TUMBAS

TUMBAS Indie Wrestler Donor D-Generation X

shoutout to Cody Rhodes for basing his Global Wars promo on my views.

8. HxHMarcus

HxHMarcus Moderator Super Moderator

The internet has changed the industry. You can hop online and get an NJPW PPV just as easily as a WWE PPV. You can find matches, wrestlers and styles that you've never seen before. You don't have to rely on a regional touring schedule to see your favorite indie guy. You can see any and all styles online.

I think it's fair to say that an increase in athletics has caused a larger surge of casual fans clinging to indie guys. That's the reason you see so many casual fans wearing Bullet Club merch.

It all comes down to the social climate, and the way the world works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Roadster

I'd agree.

I don't think the style is what grabs casuals, as much as attractive characters and personas.

10. Lavender Haze

Lavender Haze Indie Wrestler

Im friends with a guy, Jeffry F'n Mason. He loves Deatmatch wrestling. He shared a few match clips. Im not too big a fan of all that carnage and bloodshed, but there was one that I liked. He was kind of an Oriental guy that had one White eye?? Anyone know who Im talking bout?

11. Roadster

Depends. You have a pic or something?