1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Should WWE bring in Vince Russo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morton Downey Jr, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Indie Wrestler

They have nothing to lose. Their ratings are tumbling fast.

Styles and Bryan failed to draw a big ratings number last night. A clear sign that the smark experiment has failed. It's time to try something else.

2. Swamps

Swamps Indie Wrestler

Um no. Russo is a damn idiot.

3. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Il Capitano Administrator

"Nothing to lose" which is probably what TNA said before he got them kicked off national TV.

4. Morton Downey Jr

I don't like him.

But WWE couldn't be any worse than it is now.

5. Morton Downey Jr

TNA's ratings were highest under Russo.

6. Juventudinho

Spike TV explicitly told TNA not to do business with Vince Russo. There's a reason they're on the TV Guide channel right now.

7. Morton Downey Jr

Russo and others dispute that version of events.

Fact is that TNA did their best business when Russo was writing. Jeff Jarrett even said so. His booking is stupid at times. But it's more interesting than Daniel Bryan vs Sami Zayn in a "classic"

8. Cortana

Cortana UNSC AI Serial Number: CTN 0452-9 Super Moderator The Four Horsemen

Can I see the charts showing that the ratings were high under him, as compared to everything else?

9. Morton Downey Jr

Tallied by Twitter User NWOWolfpacTV

10. Cortana

Cortana UNSC AI Serial Number: CTN 0452-9 Super Moderator The Four Horsemen

So it was all Vince, not a certain racist overtanned wrestler?

11. Juventudinho

Hogan didn't join until late 2009, and made his debut in 2010.

I guess the numbers don't lie and I'll have to give him credit. However, it's undeniable that his style isn't something that can work with a company like WWE or any other company attempting to garner a national and international audience. He got TNA kicked off Spike TV which was and is the biggest network they were on or could've been on. He's cost TNA as much as he made them.

I'm not a big fan of his work, but I do think that his ability to find time and work with every worker is impeccable . He's willing to give anyone a program, however retarded. That's his biggest problem, as well. His willingness to work with anyone usually means he's willing to scratch the bottom of the barrel to find something. I'm not a fan of that weird soap opera bullshit he used to pull, but TNA seemed to be his best work even better than his WWE stint.

I think that comes down to 2 different things and it mostly revolves around who Jarrett had on the booking team. Much of Russo's big programs and ideas in WWE were mostly based off of what would help the WWE defeat WCW, rather than what would be a good idea. For example, having Chyna win the Intercontinental Championship wasn't exactly the greatest of ideas, but it got people talking.

However, in TNA he was willing to work at a more tame level and ofc he had the retarded ideas sprinkled in, but he was able to cultivate a good atmosphere around the serious parts of the card. Joe v. Angle, Christian v. Angle, Main Event Mafia, and a lot of other iconic TNA moments were headed by him, and that was down to the influence of guys like Mantel, and Jarrett.

Russo could work with independent talent and veteran talent, and it also helped that TNA was able to get Christian, Booker T and Kurt Angle. Not to mention they also got able-bodied legends like Sting, Nash and Foley whilst they could still walk. I don't think Russo deserves an over-extension in praise by saying mid-2000s TNA was his creation since the working pieces were far more complex.

Bank rolled by an energy company that was pumping millions into the company, headed by a territory-esque team and written by a Crash TV lover with a talent pool that was really the envy of a lot of the wrestling world. They didn't have the Cena-type homegrown franchise, but they had a lot of talent that put them over the top.

tl;dr: Russo deserves credit, but he's also not suitable for WWE since their situation is a lot different from mid-2000s TNA. Also, he wasn't the only working piece is TNA's growth.

12. Morton Downey Jr

Read the graph ffs.

He improved ratings before Hogan came in.

13. Swamps

Swamps Indie Wrestler

Hell, watching Crown Jewel it wouldn't surprise me if he was already on the payroll and wrote this crap.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Highspot

Highspot Failure is not an option Administrator

They need someone but I don't think its Russo. I think possibly Cornette but I doubt he is interested or he is doing his own thing.

15. Highspot

When I think of Vince Russo I think of this video

16. Swamps

Swamps Indie Wrestler

Meh, I used to love Cornette but every other sentence, it seems like he is crying about Trump or whining about some other SJW issue. However, don't see him donating to those he claims others should care about.

17. Highspot

He doesn't have YT anymore as I think he said some stuff that got him kicked off. I do agree, (not being political) but that shit should be left out as he was a booker so other opinions don't really hold weight with me.

18. Swamps

Swamps Indie Wrestler

Exactly! I don't care about politics myself, even tho I work around politicians. I would much rather certain things be kept out of my leisure time. I used to listen to his podcast but stopped because I got tired of listening to him ramble on and insult fans from certain areas that made him famous.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Juventudinho

Cornette is out-dated. His ROH numbers and the reception to his ROH booking was pretty bad. I don't think he's the man for the job just because he's still stuck in the 80s.

20. Morton Downey Jr

Cornette did a lot of good things for ROH.

ROH has always been the shits though. Even when Cornette was there.