1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion School

Discussion in 'Personal, Serious, Interests & Debates' started by Juventudinho, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Il Capitano Administrator

what are your thoughts on school and the public school system?

Is it effective, is it necessary, is it ethical? What can be done to improve it?

Etc etc

2. Punk

Punk Get the Strap! Platinum D-Generation X

I'd say from when you're in kindergarten to graduation of high school is ethical. I don't know about post secondary education like Colleges/Universities. Realistically, most shit can be learned online for free nowadays, but we're still paying thousands on tuition for accessible content?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Juventudinho

The information isn't just enough. Having someone there to make sure we comprehend, understand and effectively put into use that information is much more important.

I think that the [American] school system relies a little much on "pushing" students. You're expected to do more than do good in school. You're expected to take personal responsibility for things that, otherwise, wouldn't matter. It wouldn't be too bad, but if your classes pile on 2 hours worth of homework, whilst you're juggling a job to finance your expenses that you make while doing a school sport, then it shouldn't be encouraged as much as preferred.

Teenagers are often pushed beyond normal lengths. Waking up at 6 AM to go to a 7 hour school day, doing 2-5 hours of homework, juggling activities and jobs takes its physical and mental toll on a developing mind.

4. Punk

Punk Get the Strap! Platinum D-Generation X

I understand and grasp the concept of making some professor make sure we understand said program, but spending thousands of dollars on content that we have access to for free is what I don't understand.

For example, you could look at some 12 year old hacker being claimed a genius for figuring out some bypass on a site. Where did he learn the basics? The Internet and for free. But an 18 year old kid will have to pay thousands to learn the same shit and have a degree to prove that he's eligible in whatever field.

You're basically paying thousands for a certificate that says, "yeah, I've learned this shit in a top tier school".

5. Juventudinho

I can see what you mean, but I still think there's more security in a company hiring a "well-educated" coder rather than a self-taught one.

6. Dylan™

Dylan™ Rookie

I like how Ireland does things for the most part. Primary school is pretty much spot on in terms of the system.

Secondary has an OK layout. Three Junior Cycle years (culminating in an ultimately useless Junior Certificate, which is basically a "trial" state exam), an optional TY (Transition Year) programme focused on extracurricular activities, optional in many schools, and then two Leaving Cycle years (leading to the Leaving Cert)

The main problems with the system are:
    • Which course you study is entirely dependent on the results you get in your LC. You have basically three state exams before this which are meaningless. Mock JC, JC, and Mock LC. If you don't get enough CAO Points to get into the course you want, then you're fucked. You also need to pass Irish (unless you have a condition like dyslexia) to get into most recent universities.
    • Irish is shit. Instead of actually learning the language itself, like in foreign languages, you have to do poetry and stories and shit; finding themes. This makes all but the most stubborn IRA wannabes and Gaeltacht kids actually like the subject. Yet you need it if you want any decent course.

7. Juventudinho

Our system is a little different.

Kindergarten-5th grade is Elementary
    6th-8th is Middle School/Junior High
    9th-12th is High School

Some schools combine Elementary and Middle School or other combinations, but those are the 3 major distinctions.

Those are minimum 13 years. Tends to end at age 18. There's a test called the SAT that's taken in the spring/2nd semester of the 11th grade that basically determines what kind of college you can go to.

After that, almost all other states have a different system. In Illinois you need to have 2 years, minimum, of a foreign language (French and Spanish with some schools offering German, Mandarin or Italian as a third. Rarely all 6 are offered. French and Spanish are a guarantee to be offered) to graduate. You also need 7 semesters of English, 6 of Math, 6 of science, 1 of Government/Constitution test (2nd one of your life, because there's 1 in the 8th grade that is required to enter high school, but I never took it so I don't think it matters that much). There's also a brutally retarded requirement of 7 semesters of PE. It's kinda stupid because they only offer 1 semester in the 10th grade unless you pay for driving classes, otherwise you take those too in school.

It's a fairly unbalanced system.