1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

NXT UK Official discussion thread

Discussion in 'NXT' started by Davey Wrestling, Nov 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Davey Wrestling

Davey Wrestling Rookie

[​IMG]

So, we're a fair few shows in now and they've just announced the first NXT UK Takeover for January.

I'm playing catchup with the shows this morning, they're on in the background while we're doing Sunday, and i'm quite liking what I'm seeing.

It's genuinely put together they same way as NXT but in the UK. Granted, some of the names are new to me, but some are not - and its actually pretty weird seeing the likes of Tyson T-Bone and Flash Morgan Webster on a WWE product only a week or so after seeing them live for one of our local indy feds. Thats not a dynamic you get with main roster stuff...

Anyway, is anybody else watching and, if so, what do you think of the show and what you've seen so far?

2. Blue

Blue Rookie

I honestly had no idea that this was a thing. lol.

3. Davey Wrestling

Davey Wrestling Rookie

Yep, its a thing!

The tournament where they crowned Tyler Bate as the first UK champ came about as a reaction to ITV reviving World of Sport wrestling and this brand came about because ITV took WOS on as a series and had it on Saturday evenings over the past few months.

From what I've read its essentially Progress Wrestling under a WWE banner (and with WWE input). They've got the NXT vibe going though in terms of building matches - i.e T-Bone beats a no name, grabs a mic and asks if this is the best NXT UK has to offer and as he's leaving ringside Dave Mastiff comes down for his match, and tells T-Bone to "watch this" before he proceeds to destroy his opponent. Setting up match between to of the bigger guys on the brand.

OR, just as simple, Jordan Devlin winning for several weeks on the bounce then verbally challenging Pete Dunne to a title match.

Simple stories, told well and building characters in the process. I imagine the lack of "names" will put some people off as Moustache Mountain are probably the most well known guys on the show to a WWE audience, but I think it could make WWE a decent amount of money and I'm interested enough to want to go to a show and they appear to be getting decent crowds ( for a UK promotion).

4. Blue

Blue Rookie

Hmm.

I may have to check it out, actually.

5. Cortana

Cortana Undisputed IWT World Champion Super Moderator The Four Horsemen

Been checking it out, still not caught up. Mostly went into it to check out Dunne's matches, but since it's so fresh I'll try and follow it.

6. Davey Wrestling

Davey Wrestling Rookie

So, looks like WWE are killing off the dynamic of seeing their NXT UK guys on smaller shows: British Wrestling In Turmoil: New Restrictions On NXT UK Talent Imminent | WrestleTalk.

On the one hand this dissapoints me greatly because it means i won't get to see guys at our local shows, and seems to be a clear attempt by WWE to kill off the UK scene/claim it as their own,BUT on the other hand it will make the brand itself feel more exclusive and, potentially, help the indy scene in the long run by making wrestling grow in the UK as a whole.

If we could get this on terrestrial tv instead of (or maybe as well as?) WoS I think wrestling could get fairly big again over here...

Any thoughts?

7. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Indie Wrestler

The UK market boom was always going to be short-lived.

WWE was a nice novelty in the UK, once or twice a year. But it was never going to be anything beyond that. Especially as its fast becoming a niche product.

8. Morton Downey Jr

The talent in NXT UK are not fit for terrestrial TV.

9. Davey Wrestling

Davey Wrestling Rookie

Yoi clealry didn't see any of World of Sport. Which aired on a Saturday evening. In prime time.

Also:

Pete Dunne > Lex Luger

10. Morton Downey Jr

How much money has Dunne drawn?

The WOS ratings were dreadful. The whole project was a disaster.

11. Roadster

Roadster Il Capitano Administrator

Boom got em!

How many grams of roids does Dunne take in the ass everyday? How many overdoses has that chumped had? How many times has he hooked a co-workers ex-wife on deadly drugs that killed her?

Dunne is a nobody!

12. Morton Downey Jr

This has zero relevance to how good a pro wrestler either of them is. Pro wrestling is about drawing money.

13. Roadster

For an accountant, not for fans who have never and probably will never draw money or know how to draw money.

14. Morton Downey Jr

It proves that Luger was better at his job.

15. Roadster

I think it's a good step, at least for the main stars. I don't think they'll restrict the lesser known talents. It can keep the market from being over saturated and allow for WWE to make sure their guys aren't gonna get hurt working an indie show.

I'm going to stick this and rename it the Official Discussion thread.