1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

NWA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ncrdbl1, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Ncrdbl1

Ncrdbl1 Trainee

Does the NWA still exist as a national organization. Or if it just a few local promotions using the NWA as part of their name.

If it still exist who owns it and where is it's main office? And do they still hold the rights to all their video and history?

2. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Il Capitano Administrator

It does exist as a pseudo national organization. It's partially registered as a licensing company that licenses its assets, rather than actually having members or holding shows. Besides that, it has a large number of very small independent organizations using its titles and brand name. CMLL, in Mexico, is probably the largest entity that sanctions their title matches. NJPW also worked with them, a few years ago, but has since stopped.

It was actually bought by former TNA President, Billy Corgan just this past summer. He officially took over in October. And I'm unsure about their video library. I presume they own the library, but it could also be owned by the organizations that make it up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Rookie

I saw something about Tommy Dreamer wrestling for them.

That's enough to make me ignore it.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ncrdbl1

Ncrdbl1 Trainee

Was thinking that it could reform so to speak with a number of independent promotions across the US without ties to WWE. Allow for the trading of talent. Make it so they can keep their current talent a little longer without the WWE stepping in and buying it out from under the promotion. Not really the old territorial format of before but close to it.

If the territories would have tried working together back then instead of trying to cut each other off at the knees then Vince would not have been able to steal away all the talent and kill off the territorial system. I can still remember when it started and the WWF shows in Memphis drew less than a 1,000 people at the Memphis Convention Center. No where near the weekly 10,000-12,000 the local promotion drew at the Mid South Coliseum.

Sadly today the local Memphis promotion is lucky to draw 1,500 at a converted bakery. At one time the local over the air TV station actually PAID the local promotion to have the live weekly TV wrestling on. Today all we have is taped and edited shows from the converted bakery on a secondary digital channel. Once was the highest rated show on local TV now only a few can actually find it to view it and it requires turning off cable and/or satellite and using rabbit ears.

The only local wrestling program we have on a major local TV station now7 is the King of Ego, Lawler's weekly show where he has a guest on and they review his many tapes of his matches while he promotes his BBQ joint and his club on Beale Street..

5. Juventudinho

Jarrett tried that with GFW. It was virtually that same process, but the issue is, that it's hard to get a promotion or brand exposed with a decentralized marketing strategy. The NWA got so big in the late 80s, because they would have a large flag-ship. NWA just can't find a promotion that is willing to give up a piece of its history for a name that is associated with a dying brand.

6. Ncrdbl1

Ncrdbl1 Trainee

Problem was that the GWF did not have the history behind it to offer the indies anything. The NWA has 70 years of history to fall back on and in some way has ammo to use against the WWE. As they could keep the WWE from having access to a lot of the things on the WWE site today. A lot of the history and matches they have from WCW is actually from pre WCW days when the Crocket promotion was still part of the NWA. WWE is currently taking credit for history that does not belong to them.

Fact it there is no way any promotion can go head to head with WWE. The people who have that type of money are not going to spend it on raslin. And the people who want to go head to head do not have the money to compete.

With that said the WWE has done a lot to transform the business for the better. The health of the performers is better and the background of the performers is much better. Used to be a time where valets and such are just local strippers who would accompany wrestlers to the matches and then return to their strip joints when they are not at matches.

A time when multiple sexual partners in each city was the norm, sex with underage girls and boys were common place and even incest a part of the lives of a number of performers. While some of this exist today a number of the performers spend more time at local gyms when they get in town and not as much time partying as in the past.

It still is not a place where i would want any underage family members to have contact without proper supervisions, but it has made strides to improve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Juventudinho

I've never heard of incest between wrestlers.

8. AidsJohnson

AidsJohnson Rookie

9. Juventudinho

I knew you were gonna post a Niggaz wit Attitude vid

• Like Like x 1
  10. WrestleRacer91

WrestleRacer91 Heavyweight Champion Platinum

I for one like to follow the NWA still to this day from time to time. Magnus is their champion so it can't be all bad.

• Funny Funny x 1