1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

NJPW NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING Thread.

Discussion in 'International Wrestling' started by ¡Tranquilo!, Sep 29, 2017.

1. ¡Tranquilo!

¡Tranquilo! Indie Wrestler Donor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Japan_Pro-Wrestling

Link to NJPW World:

http://njpwworld.com/

Link to beginners guides:

• Like Like x 2
  2. ¡Tranquilo!

3. Roadster

Roadster Il Capitano Administrator

NJPW has probably had their most entertaining year since the original Bullet Club formed. Amazing talent oozing out of every division, segment and match.

but DG4lyfe

• Like Like x 1
  4. ¡Tranquilo!

So many good matches. The Okada/Omega series and Naito/Tanahashi, Naito/Ibushi, Naito/Ishii too damn good.

5. Roadster

I haven't watched a single NJPW match since I watched WrestleKingdom, but it's definitely tempting.

but again...DG4lyfe

• Like Like x 1
  6. ¡Tranquilo!

I highly recommend checking out the G1 climax. Amazing matches almost every night.

7. Highspot

Highspot Failure is not an option Administrator

I am a deathmatch guy so my tastes are different but try watching bjw,fmw, czw and others. I never liked them until I actually watched them for awhile.

8. Indy

Indy Indie Wrestler

With this thread being a thing, who's excited for King of Pro-Wrestling this weekend?

1. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Leo Tonga and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. LIJ (BUSHI, Hiromu Takahashi and SANADA)
    2. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto and Toru Yano vs. Suzuki-Gun (Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre, Jr.)
    3. Funky Future (Ricochet and Ryusuke Taguchi) (c) vs. Roppongi 3K (Rocky Romero and ????) - IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championships
    4. Killer Elite Squad (Davey Boy Smith, Jr. and Lance Archer) (c) vs. Guerrillas of Destiny (Tanga Loa and Tama Tonga) vs. War Machine (Hanson and Raymond Rowe) - Tornado Elimination Tag Team Match - IWGP Tag Team Championship
    5. Bullet Club (Cody, Kenny Omega and Marty Scurll) vs. CHAOS (Beretta, Jado and YOSHI-HASHI)
    6. KUSHIDA (c) vs. Will Ospreay - IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
    7. Hiroshi Tanahashi and Togi Makabe vs. Juice Robinson and Kota Ibushi
    8. Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii - Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Championship Briefcase
    9. Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. EVIL - IWGP World Heavyweight Championship

Looks like a great card, especially with Tanahashi/Ibushi still on the horizon as well which is probably for Power Struggle or possibly Wrestle Kingdom.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Roadster

Glad CJ Parker has made his way to the upper midcard.

Naito vs. Ishii seems like a good match. Main event will be cool, as well.

I imagine the entire show is as predictable as it seems. Doubt theres going to be a major change.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TUMBAS

TUMBAS Indie Wrestler Donor D-Generation X

Not watched NJPW properly in yonks and only peeped parts of the G1, but CJ is fucking A1 from the stuff I have seen. Who knew this guy could be some super babyface, really appreciating his stuff lately. Still need to watch the G1, but just not really hyped from the Puro stuff at this moment.

11. ¡Tranquilo!

Really looking forward to Evil/Omega, Evil became my second favorite LIJ member after the G1 he put in so much damn work.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Indy

Indy Indie Wrestler

Everyone in the G1 put an insane amount of work, it was just awesome to watch. Personally, I really wish Nagata got one more run with the NEVER Openweight title but I don't think they ever will. It's a shame because imo, he was the MVP together with maybe Okada

13. ¡Tranquilo!

G1 was my first exposure to Nagata and by the end he really got over with me. He did a really good job putting his opponents over. when I re-up my NJWorld membership for KoPW I gotta go back and watch his stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Roadster

Yuji Nagata is a fucking monster. Bonafide legend.

I think G1 Climax is the most unique wrestling tournament because it has the prestige to lift almost anyone to a bigger level, and because it is almost completely unique in the format. Almost every major tournament like the Rey de Reyes or King of the Ring is a single-elimination match. G1, and recently King of Gate, are the only major round-robin tournaments. I remember watching every show from 2014, and being hooked to NJPW.

Sadly, not all the shows are as amazing as the G1 shows. Just amazing, the work rate put on for almost an entire month straight.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Indy

Indy Indie Wrestler

New Japan has had the best year since 2013 this year as far as entertainment and having a fresh feeling to it. Probably the best year as far as in-ring that they've ever had, only 1 show that I wouldn't consider good and that's a Destruction show recently with Suzuki/Elgin in a Lumberjack match as the main event, but even that show had a really strong 6-man CHAOS vs. LIJ tag match. New Japan is just really great this year, it has a spark that it kinda lacked for me last year.

16. Roadster

I really wanted to keep up with the shows, but I just fell to the way side.

Any specific matches (other than Okada v. Omega) that I should watch?

17. Indy

Indy Indie Wrestler

I'll make a list of the matches from NJPW that I rated above (****1/2) to give you an idea of how insane this year has been for them, and so that you can cherry-pick the matches that make you hard init

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega - IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Wrestle Kingdom 11 (******)
    Hiromu Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA - IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship - Wrestle Kingdom 11 (****1/2)
    Tetsuya Naito vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Wrestle Kingdom 11 (****1/2)
    Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada - New Beginning in Sapporo (****1/2)
    Will Ospreay vs. Katsuyori Shibata - RPW British Heavyweight Championship - New Beginning in Osaka (****1/2)
    Hiromu Takahashi vs. Dragon Lee - IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship - New Beginning in Osaka (****3/4)
    Tetsuya Naito vs. Michael Elgin - IWGP Intercontinental Championship - New Beginning in Osaka (*****)
    Tiger Mask W vs. Kazuchika Okada - NJPW 45th Anniversary Show (****3/4)
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Kenny Omega - New Japan Cup Night 2 (****3/4)
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Katsuyori Shibata - New Japan Cup Night 7 (****3/4)
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Katsuyori Shibata - IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Sakura Genesis (*****)
    Hiromu Takahashi vs. Ricochet - IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship - Wrestling Toyonokuni (****1/2)
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Kenny Omega - Wrestling Dontaku (****3/4)
    Will Ospreay vs. Ricochet - BOSJ Night 2 (****1/2)
    KUSHIDA vs. Ryusuke Taguchi - BOSJ Night 11 (****1/2)
    KUSHIDA vs. Will Ospreay - Best of the Super Juniors Finals (*****)
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega - IWGP Heavyweight Championship Dominion 6.19 (*****1/2)
    Tetsuya Naito vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Dominion 6.19 (****1/2)
    KUSHIDA vs. Hiromu Takahashi - IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship - Dominion 6.11 (****1/2)
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Tetsuya Naito - G1 Special in USA Night 1 (****1/2)
    Michael Elgin vs. Kenny Omega - G1 Special in USA Night 1 (****3/4)
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Kenny Omega - IWGP United States Championship - G1 Special in USA Night 2 (****3/4)
    Zack Sabre, Jr. vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - G1 Climax Night 1 (****1/2)
    Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito - G1 Climax Night 1 (****3/4)
    EVIL vs. SANADA - G1 Climax Night 2 (****1/2)
    Kenny Omega vs. Minoru Suzuki - G1 Climax Night 2 (****1/2)
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Togi Makabe - G1 Climax Night 3 (****1/2)
    Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre, Jr. - G1 Climax Night 3 (****1/2)
    Michael Elgin vs. Kazuchika Okada - G1 Climax Night 4 (*****)
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Yuji Nagata - G1 Climax Night 5 (****1/2)
    Michael Elgin vs. Kenny Omega - G1 Climax Night 8 (****3/4)
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Yuji Nagata - G1 Climax Night 11 (****1/2)
    Kota Ibushi vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - G1 Climax Night 11 (****1/2)
    EVIL vs. Kazuchika Okada - G1 Climax Night 14 (****1/2)
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - G1 Climax Night 15 (****3/4)
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki - G1 Climax Night 16 (****1/2)
    Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre, Jr. - G1 Climax Night 17 (****1/2)
    Tetsuya Naito vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - G1 Climax Night 17 (****3/4)
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega - G1 Climax Night 18 (*****3/4)
    Kenny Omega vs. Tetsuya Naito - G1 Climax Finals (*****)
    Kenny Omega vs. Juice Robinson - IWGP United States Championship - Destruction in Kobe (****1/2)

• Like Like x 2
  18. James

James Enforcer Platinum The Four Horsemen

KOPW is this weekend? Oh shiiiiiiit. Super excited to see EVIL main event, he was my MVP in the G1 this year. All his matches were bangin' so I'm sure him vs. Okada is gonna be great. I'll be surprised if Naito/Ishii gets under a 4.75 from big daddy Dave Meltzer, super excited for that one. Seeing Juice high up on the card, facing Makabe and Tanahashi while teamin with Kota makes me happy. He seems like such a weird fit for NJPW but he out killin' it. KUSHIDA/Ospreay is gonna be nuts, have a feelin Ospreay is gonna win and defend against Hiromu at WK where someone might actually die.

• Like Like x 3
  19. James

James Enforcer Platinum The Four Horsemen

Finished KOPW. The Roppongi 3K reveal was great, love those dudes, hope Rocky ain't just their manager, hope he gets a singles run in the Jnr division. Speakin of lil flippy boys Ospreay vs. KUSHIDA was nuts. Naito vs. Ishii delivered, again, and Okada vs. EVIL was good but idk if it was good enough for the main event.

- Ospreay winning the title was long overdue, I assume he beats Scurll at Power Struggle and faces Hiromu at WK12. Man thats gonna be a fucking crazy match.

- I'd like to see SANADA and EVIL win the tag league or something.

- Okada vs. Naito lets GOOOOOO.

20. Indy

Indy Indie Wrestler

I want Roppongi 3K and Rocky Romero to be THE SHIELD

JOIN THE CHAT ROOM TO USE THE CHAT

JOIN THE "LIVE DISCUSSION" ROOM TO CHAT ABOUT THE SHOW