1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Owens: What's the appeal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morton Downey Jr, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Rookie

He looks like your average wrestling fan. Average height, overweight, scruffy clothing. He makes viewers think that any slob could be a star in WWE. Is that really the best message to send out to your audience?

Owens would have been a jobber in just about any other era. Him being a star in WWE shows how weak this era is.

2. WrestleRacer91

WrestleRacer91 Heavyweight Champion Platinum

Does talent mean anything to you?

3. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Rookie

Yes, hence why I don't like Owens.

I know I am wasting my time explaining this to someone like you, but there's more to being a good professional wrestler than in-ring work. Owens fails in most categories.

4. WrestleRacer91

Someone like me? My favorite era is the god damn 80s. So idk what you mean by that statement.

You either enjoy wrestling or you don't. There's really no need to bitch about the current product. Its going to change again in a few years anyway. So what's the problem?

5. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Rookie

This is a discussion board about wrestling. People are free to praise and critique who and what they want. I don't like Owens and don't really get his appeal. I think he's pushed beyond his means. It's a valid talking point.

You changed the argument like an imbecile.

6. WrestleRacer91

I figured you would say that. Good day sir.

7. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Rookie

Of course you did.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Il Capitano Administrator

He's good in the ring, and cuts a nice promo. I think he's been boring since coming to SmackDown, but I can see why people would like him.

WWE's emphasis on look has waned incredibly mostly because finding buff guys that can get over with the fans has become increasingly hard, especially since the fans respect and crave in-ring work more than ever. Personally, I don't care about the look of a wrester, as long as they entertain me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Rookie

The look is massively important when it comes to attracting the casual fan.

10. Juventudinho

Massively is an overstatement

11. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Rookie

Austin, Rock, Cena, Goldberg and Hogan all had great looks.

All were massive draws in the west.

12. Juventudinho

In-ring work + character gets people over, not their six pack abs.

Meanwhile guys like Rollins, Ziggler, Mahal and Ambrose flopped with the strap. Austin was never the most muscular or largest guy on the roster, arguably chubbier than guys like Rollins and The Rock, but his in-ring work and his character got him over.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Rookie

Who said anything about six pack abs. Austin looked like a legit shit-kicker. Ric Flair never had a six-pack, but he looked and carried himself like a star. Owens doesn't look or carry himself like a star. He looks like a slob.

If Austin would have been a dreadful worker he would have still been a massive star. Get over your workrate fetish.

14. Juventudinho

It was metaphorical, chief.

Nonetheless, you're talking out your ass about Austin being as over if he was shit in the ring. He had the smarks in his pocket because of his work in the ring and his promos in ECW. The casuals only followed the smarks because it was cool, and after a few years he was just the flagship guy and his fanbase grew every time someone new put on RAW.

15. Punk

Punk Commissioner Platinum D-Generation X

I agree, dude.
    Fuck today's society accepting all shapes and sizes as a norm. It's should have never been this way. We should all look up to athletic and attractive people, bigger than life superstars as we say. If you're ugly and/or fat, bow beneath me you dirty peasant. *spits on the commoners face*

If I were in front of Kevin Owens, I'd knock that sucker out in 10 seconds. Is that who WWE wants to be pushing in fake fighting? A fat disgusting slob I could knock out in a few seconds? smh what has this world become.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Rookie

Austin's presence, character and talking ability would have got him over huge. Even if he was a shitty worker in the ring. Austin was massively over in 1998 - despite not being at his best inside the ring.

What he did in ECW was irrelevant. Austin got over in WWF independent of his time in ECW. Barely anyone outside of a small selection of smarks even knew he was in ECW. There was no follow-on either. Casual wrestling fans paid no attention to smarks.

17. WrestleRacer91

So in your opinion, was Mankind not a big star?

18. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Rookie

Mick Foley had charisma and played a vast array of characters. He was also a great talker. Still, he was never pushed as the company's figurehead. He was a very good semi main-event, but not someone who you could build the entire company around.

19. Juventudinho

>every arena has large ecw chants during 1995
    >Only smarks knew of austin in ecw

20. Juventudinho

Mostly because he didn’t have longevity in the ring I.e. he wasn’t that good in the ring