1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Is New Japan gaining on WWE?

Discussion in 'International Wrestling' started by Roadster, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Roadster

Roadster Il Capitano Administrator

I've seen more Bullet Club and New Japan merchandise in public and in-stores than WWE merch. People rave about New Japan and their WrestleKingdom show trends worldwide when it happens. I think it's gaining, and for the better. WWE really haven't had a competitor in a decade and an international competitor is especially different.

2. ¡Tranquilo!

¡Tranquilo! Indie Wrestler Donor

I'm more excited for New Japan gaining popularity so that their style becomes more mainstream and embraced around the world, it only makes the industry better. I'd rather them focus on building themselves rather than trying to directly compete with WWE because that won't end well. I always say that WWE doesn't need competition to be good all they need is a direction, which they never have or keep up until Mania season.

3. Jay the Oddity

Jay the Oddity Indie Wrestler The Four Horsemen

NJPW isn't so much gaining on WWE as much as giving people an alternative to WWE and "friendly" competition in a matter of speaking.

4. Roadster

I can't imagine WWE will take to friendly to New Japan doing shows of increasing importance and publicity in New York, tho

5. Jay the Oddity

WWE is going to hate them no matter what because WWE wants to be the only one in the game, and as a far New York with WWE so focused on the Barclays Center, MSG is free for the taking and ROH and NJPW and AAA have taken advantage of that. Also, ROH and NJPW are having their even on Wrestlemania weekend and n the same day as Takeover, so if anything it is "flexing" one could say. If this is what it takes for WWE to improve then I am all for it.

6. Cortana

Cortana Undisputed IWT World Champion Super Moderator The Four Horsemen

I feel as long as NJPW continues to grow, WWE will notice at one point and may do something. I just hope NJPW focuses more on themselves and not try to "attack" WWE in a sense.

7. Jay the Oddity

The president of NJPW has said he would never attack nor go to war with WWE because they would lose, in a sense, but he does what to somewhat conquer the American market and demand for NJPW.

8. AidsJohnson

AidsJohnson Indie Wrestler

Not in MY MERICA!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Punk

Punk Get the Strap! Platinum D-Generation X

no

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Roadster

11. Swamps

Swamps Indie Wrestler

I don't know if they're gaining on them, but they have gained more popularity in recent years in the States. TNA did the same thing in the early 2000s.

12. Roadster

Except New Japan is much stronger both as a product and as a company than TNA ever was. They attract young, vibrant and marketable WWE talent like Rhodes and Robinson as opposed to older talents like Sting and Steiner.