1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Music Hip Hop Head Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Punk, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Punk

Punk Get the Strap! Platinum D-Generation X

[​IMG]
    Discuss the latest Hip-Hop news, share the music you're listening to, give thoughts on anything related to hip hop.

And just to clear it up, I'm not saying post everything related to hip hop in this thread. If there's like say a Kanye Album out, if you think it's enough to warrant it's own thread, go do so.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Punk

I think in the Eminem thread, we were having a discussion of what era is their favorite.

For me, it'd probably have to be early 2000's to mid 2000's.
    Mostly cause for me, that's what I grew up on. I find the music today to be way too similar which is the soundcloud rap sound. And lyricism doesn't matter anymore, people mock artists for throwing shots even though that was literally the culture that happened for decades.
    Most music today is just catchy and if it is remotely how it used to sound, it'll be mocked for being corny music. Ex. J. Cole, Joyner, etc.

And the new generation barely has any respect for the old generation.
    Like those niggas struggled to get their shit out, they didn't have the access to all these platforms we have today.

By the way, this isn't like some rant where I dislike today's music. I fuck with it heavy, I'm just not a fan of the lack of creativity in some of these songs and the disrespect the younger generation shows to the OG's. (Not all, some.)

3. Punk

@DK JAMES

Wanna discuss about the music you making? Like goals, inspirations, how you write, flow, etc.?

Could be done here or in PM.

4. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Il Capitano Administrator

When your bois music gonna drop.

5. Cortana

Cortana UNSC AI Serial Number: CTN 0452-9 Super Moderator The Four Horsemen

I listen to plenty of Lofi Hip-Hop nowadays. Good to relax too and interesting. Jinsang is one of my favorites. I think people under estimate just how vast and the reach of Hip-Hop as a whole.

6. Cortana

If I had to pick my favorite of Hip-Hop though, I think I would lean towards the current days. Mostly because of how vast the genre is nowadays, the sound and beats are some of my favorite. I can even find those who are good at writing lyrics and whatnot. Not to mention nowadays there's a door open for plenty of people to expose their artistic creations through Hip-Hop with social media.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Punk

I agree on it being vast, but at the same time, I don't think all of the music is of quality. Before you only got record deals if they thought you were talented. Now we have people who can't even sing, singing and getting hits.

More music is always better, but in terms of being good, that's super subjective. I think someone like a smokepurp is trash but he has so much support. I think the standards are just too low nowadays for what's actually good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cortana

Of course, with quanity comes bad exposure. Though it's bound to happen when there's the explosion of the internet and a high amount of entries. Though digging through it I see there's plenty of talent I enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  9. DK JAMES

DK JAMES The Creator Donor The Four Horsemen

Sure man. Don't even know where to start.

I dropped my first tape a couple months ago and it was a lonnnnggg process to make. Only 7 tracks and 16 minutes long, but boy it was work. I made most of the songs while I was pretty down in the dumps and the music reflects that. I've been making this music for 3 years now and it took all that time to finally put out something I'm proud of.

I'm not the most proud of it now, but that's probably due to the reception. I got my homies fuckin with it and i've heard a good amount of positive feedback, but it sucks when something you work so hard on only gets like 200 plays total. But i'm not givin up.

This next tape i'm workin on is an improvement on every single part. I write the lyrics, record it, mix it, and master it all by myself and i feel like i'm making huge improvements on all fronts.

My goal is to just keep dropping tapes and hopefully do some shows soon enough until I get a decent fanbase behind me. From there I feel like I can go anywhere. Got so much support here in Buffalo it's real. Just need to keep pushin and improving until I feel completely satisfied in my accomplishments which might be never, but just gotta keep workin. I'll post some snippets soon enough. Check out the first tape and gimme some feedback if you haven't got the chance yet my man.

In terms of other random things, idk im inspired by a lot of different artists and my music also reflects that. I know everyone has different moves when it comes to writing, but for me, I can't write until I find the beat. If i'm really vibin with a beat, I can write a whole song in an hour. I can't just write off the top of my head to nothing, i need to feel it, you know? I finally know what type of vibe im trying to create so that makes me happy. The flow also comes along with the beat. Idk it just comes natural a lot of the time and it helps that i've had 3 years to practice.

I plan on making music forever but i plan on pursuing it as a career for the next 10 years or so. I wouldn't say time is on my side but i definitely got faith. Just gotta keep improving and workin.

Thanks for askin tho. Sorry for goin so long haha

• Like Like x 2
  10. Punk

Haha, nah thanks for sharing.

I've been working in a music studio for a couple of months, so I hear a bunch of different types of artists come in and I ask them all what their goals are in music. I actually listened to your tape a few days ago, so I guess I'll start with what I liked and then what I didn't like. Since it's a small project, I can't critique it that much.

Postives

- Your voice, it's actually nice. No homo
    - Your flow is pretty nice, although I'd look into having different types of flows within a track

Negatives

- Tracks are too short. I have a friend who does the same thing, but he's in the mentality that he wants to make the music he wants. I'll link his soundcloud so you get what I'm saying.
    - I don't think your mix and mastering skills are that good yet. I think you gotta level the vocals better. What program you use btw?

As for writing over a beat, I do the same thing. But if I'm not, I try to rap how John Cena raps and then just write it down. I have a few songs written down and 1 recorded, but not releasing anything till Nov.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Punk

@DK JAMES

Bro, if you can do me a solid and tell me when you got like an hour free so we can talk about this?
    I always like to branch out my options music wise and down the road, you never know we can get shit poppin too.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. DK JAMES

Everyone digs my voice so I got an advantage there I think haha. A voice can make a big difference. As for the flows, I 100% agree. That's the number 1 critique i've gotten from the tape. It is also the #1 thing i've worked on for this new tape. 100% switched up the flows on every single song.

I agree with the track length and that's another thing I've changed with the new tape. All my songs are 2-4 minutes now. I also agree with my mixing and mastering skills haha it's one department that I'm slowly improving in by the day. Would love any tips or advice you got me in that area, i'm always looking to improve there cause that's definitely the most important to me. Always have an issue with making the vocals sound "crisp" in a way.

100% homie. Thanks for reachin out. I love to hear any feedback and any thoughts on all of this so it's much appreciated and we'll definitely get workin. Will def hit you up once the football is over today.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Punk

Yeah, like I have a couple suggestions but I'd rather just save it for the convo we'll have later.

Depends on what programs you using. We usually record through Pro Tools 12.
    I know you're doing most of the stuff on your own, but I'd look to finding a producer within Buffalo and just vibing with him.
    I've been networking the past two years, so I have like a pretty good circle of artists, producers, mixing engineers, etc.

For sure, bro. Let me know when you're done. Tag me, we can discord or some shit to discuss it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DK JAMES

I use Ableton at the moment so it's not the best but it does me well for now. Would love to find a producer/mixer but i dont even know where to start here. Would love some advice there. Will def hit you up

• Like Like x 1
  15. Punk

Yeah, Ableton's fairly easy to use, but I'd still choose FL and Pro Tools over it.

I'd suggest going on craiglist or sites like that and see what kinda place offering studio time for $ nearby. Usually they'll be some producers within the ad and they'll offer some services for fairly cheap. Like either they'll sell you a beat or it'll be like $20-$50/hour for studio time.

If you vibe with one of the producers you find, they'll probably give you some deals. (This is if you're ready to be at that stage to take your music to the next level.)

Listening parties, there's a bunch of people in the music industry already there. If you just network and talk to people there, tell them you're an independent artist, they'll hit you up too.

I don't really know the music scene that well in Buffalo, so I don't know if it's huge or not. Toronto is fairly huge, so it's easy to find people.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DK JAMES

Me and my best bud just chillin reacting to the new YBN mixtape. Not to be taken seriously haha.

idk we been out there listening to music every Thursday night for years so we'd figure we'd start recording every week

• Like Like x 4
  17. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Il Capitano Administrator

Go Bills

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Punk

I'm a fan of reactions to music, my top three being Complex Ambition, Meami and Shawn Cee.

Shoutout to a few other though like Big Quint, LawTwinz, Mallory Bros, etc.

Unfortunately, I really ain't into YBN like that, so most likely not gonna watch the entirety of vid. Just bein real, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Punk

Some of the artists I look up to dearly or you can say idolize are 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Lil Wayne, Ludacris, T-Pain and Drake.
    That doesn't mean that the music I'm gonna make is gonna sound similar to theres, but just the type they did will somewhat influence mine.

I'm doing something where I'm gonna listen to an album or two a day from the 80's and move my way up to mid 2000's. That way, I'll see how hip-hop evolved and possibly get more inspiration in my writing. I don't think anyone can be the best if they didn't check the history of that sport/craft.

Like if you became a wrestler, I find that it'd be kinda weird if you hadn't watched some of the old classic matches from back in the day. Watched some of the GOATs of that time to learn their craft and kinda study what they had done from ring psychology to storytelling. Also, I don't think anyone can call themselves the greatest of all time if they hadn't checked out the previous people before them. That's just my opinion though, not saying as fact.

If anyone down to join me, that'd be dope. We can all pick an album, talk about it and choose favorite tracks. Obviously this would have to be with an open mind.

Actually, it'd be a dope series if you did this to DK, cause you can probably get a following from it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DK JAMES

You’re good haha I dont fuck with YBN too much either, was just the only thing that dropped that night. I fuck with those reactors too. BigQuint and Shawn are my favs.

Thats a fire idea ngl imma keep that in mind. My buddy had a similar idea of us reacting to classic shit that we never heard. It’s definitely in the plans at some point

• Like Like x 1