1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Cody Rhodes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morton Downey Jr, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Indie Wrestler

What is the big deal?

Good little worker but not the second coming or anything.

2. Cortana

Cortana Undisputed IWT World Champion Super Moderator The Four Horsemen

Because he's putting in work in stages outside of WWE, both behind the scene and as a in ring competitor.

3. Morton Downey Jr

He's nothing special inside the ring. He's good, not great. Aldis is a much better prospect.

His crappy indie shows have limited appeal. The Young Buck? Joey Ryan? Kenny Omega? All of them are nobodies.

4. Cortana

He's good inside the ring and knows how to sell a story. And I agree, Aldis is better in the ring. During their entire match Aldis seemed dominate most of the time.

And it attracts Rey Mysterio, Lanny Poffo, Pentagon Jr, Jay Lethal and more. Just because you don't like the stars, doesn't make them nobodies.

5. Morton Downey Jr

No one knows who Jay Lethal and Pentagon Jr are outside of the wrestling bubble. Poffo was never a big star. Jericho and Mysterio are decent B-level players. But they are hardly Rock or Hogan.

Who is Omega in the states? He's a nobody outside of the small wrestling bubble. The average wrestling fan is old. Pro Wrestling only absorbs a small fraction of the 18-34 demographic today. The likes of Bryan, Rhodes, Omega, Rollins or whoever aren't converting people into becoming wrestling fans.

6. Roadster

Roadster Il Capitano Administrator

Why is the standard for a competent wrestler Hogan or Rock. Literally no one will ever be Hogan or Rock, and neither should that be expected from everyone.

Rhodes is a workhorse and is one of the only few wrestlers that's actually made a career for himself outside the WWE. 10k for his indie show, 6 figure deals, his merchandise in department stores, selling out MSG (not his doing, but he's obviously the reason why ROH even tried that). He deserves respect and admiration. Hard worker, and it paid off whilst he made a dime in the WWE; he's made a 10 dollars for everyday he was Stardust. He's more than showed that he's capable of being a star, if given the billion dollar budget of the WWE, since he's doing it with a 1/10 smaller budget every day.

7. Morton Downey Jr

It's a small niche market he's appealing to.

His appeal is not as far-reaching as smarks think it is.

8. Roadster

There's no way to tell, but the by the signs of it - getting jobless neckbeards to fly to Chicago for a show - he may have the ability.

9. Morton Downey Jr

That's all it is.

It's the same 10k-20k neckbeards with no lives.

10. Roadster

That's another 10k-20k paying customers for WWE's accountant to track.

11. Morton Downey Jr

Who already watch WWE.

12. Roadster

Incline them to spend more money if they do, bring them back if they don’t

13. Morton Downey Jr

They already spend tons of money. They spend all their money on hijacking WWE PPVs. They have no lives.

14. Roadster

Citation needed

15. Morton Downey Jr

It's the same people in the crowd.

16. Roadster

Citation needed

17. Morton Downey Jr

King Smark himself Dave Meltzer said that the audience today is smaller but spends more money on the product. WWE's audience is the obsessive nerd who doesn't have a life. Despite the money they spend on WWE tickets, live events, etc, WWE are still propped up by their TV money. With their ratings falling, their TV bubble will eventually bust. Then they will be in trouble.

You will notice that TV tapings in the USA are almost empty these days. That's because people are just not interested. Even the most deprived smark can only attend major events.

18. Cortana

Pentagon is popular in Mexico, not the United States. Jay Lethal is known through people on social media because of his incident with Ric Flair, so he has some exposure due to that and his imitation with Macho Man was very well done and respectful.

And he's well known in the wrestling bubble. And I disagree. If people see how someone like Daniel Bryan connects with fans so passionately he literally has children with cancer on screen rooting for him, I can see him gaining fans through compassion. Then seeing his in ring work, his serious and comedy gimmicks, he can be appealing. Cody puts in his work heavily. I drew in one of my friends into wrestling because he enjoyed the perceptive of the Aldis/Cody feud from both points, and his work as NWA Champion currently. I'm not a huge fan of Omega or Rollins, but certains things can attract people to a wrestler and make a fan out of them. Whether it be quality, compassion, excitement or comedy, people have their reasons for liking certain wrestlers.

I don't understand what you want from them anyways. They're not going to be the next Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Bob Backlund, Sting, Taz or any of them. They're themselves and they're doing what they can with what they got to display their passions and careers. They're putting in the work and actually trying their best.

19. Morton Downey Jr

1. Jay Lethal is a nobody outside the niche wrestling bubble.

2. Bryan doesn't attract a significant amount of new fans. If he did then ratings would not be decreasing as they are.

3. Their best is not good enough. The entire industry is the shits. I can only call it as I see it. The good times are pretty much all over.

20. Cortana

I fear your views are outdated, but you're allowed to believe in what you wish.