1. Welcome to PWF!
    CLICK ON THE YELLOW BUTTON to sign up and talk about WWE, TNA, ROH, NJPW and so much more!
    Dismiss Notice

Are managers a dying breed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juventudinho, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Juventudinho

Juventudinho Il Capitano Administrator

I was watching RAW and I saw that WWE has introduced a lot more managers. They have Heyman, Rush, and Spud but the newest pairings seem so mundane and rather rash. Rush is working really well with it, but that's down to his ability to repeatedly say "LASHLEY" and getting on people's nerves. Spud rarely talks and is just out of place, and Heyman has cut the same promo for the last 4 years. SmackDown has virtually no managers except maybe Vega and Lana, but they're more valets than managers.

It seems that managers have been on the decline, in numbers, since the early 90s. However the decline in proper, quality managers has been steeper and broader since the early 90s. WWE has been a culprit of pitting random fucks together for no real reason, and it seems to have taken its toll. Some could say that WWE and wrestling has allowed workers to improve their personal charisma. However, if thats the case does that mean managers are a dying breed?

There used to be a lot of managers that debuted with their workers or were supplemental to their gimmick like Kamala and his slave master or Bearer and The Undertaker. Paul Ellering and LoD, Jackyl and his weird G.I. Joe bois etc. etc. However the last of those types of pairings (that worked) was probably Heyman and Lesnar, but there is no more zest in Heyman's promos because he literally says the same shit everytime.

2. Cortana

Cortana UNSC AI Serial Number: CTN 0452-9 Super Moderator The Four Horsemen

I think it's a hard job to do nowadays especially with how the wrestling business has been. Shame roo, because I'd love to be anyone's manager.

3. Highspot

Highspot Failure is not an option Administrator

I think being a manager in the 80s/90s was tough as you had to be the mouthpiece of that wrestler or ad something to the table. Now, they get anyone and put them in there and it sucks. I use to like Mr. Fuji and Bobby the Brain Heenan as they added something special. I don't get the WWE and why they think a manager means nothing.

4. Juventudinho

I think they think that managers are meant to hype up their man rather than advance a storyline. When you have Drake Maverick just accompanying the AoP, it makes no sense. They don't try to make it seem as if he has a grip on these monsters, or that he's paying them or anything. He just shows up with them wearing some goofy outfit and people are like "wtf is this".

Meanwhile in the 80s, not only would the managers hype up their man, progress a feud but also add to the story. Seeing Virgil with Dibiase, it made sense since Virgil was his paid muscle and servant. Virgil was a quiet manager and was there to be a heavy, and that too rarely happens. When you saw Big E with Ziggler, it made no sense other than that Ziggler was a heel and got a tough guy to do his bidding. There was no background as to why Big E, of all people, sided with Ziggler and AJ.

5. Morton Downey Jr

Morton Downey Jr Indie Wrestler

The SJW crowd will soon want to ban valets.

6. Juventudinho

Lana? Vega? Brooke? Maria?

All active and current valets

7. Morton Downey Jr

Your reading comprehension is terrible.

8. Juventudinho

Nah you're just fishing too hard for something stupid to say.

9. Morton Downey Jr

I said that valets will probably be banned soon. I didn't say they were already extinct.

But you are a complete moron who never admits he is wrong. So this is a waste of time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Juventudinho

There's no evidence or indication that they will be banned soon.

There is evidence that they're gonna be widely accepted, which is that there's more on the roster right now than there's been in years. Some of which debuted, just this year.

11. Morton Downey Jr

Then you have no awareness of the world outside wrestling. Why am I not shocked.

12. Juventudinho

>saudi arabia butchers journalist and every major company in the world isolates the country
    >wwe holds a major show, heavily advertised, and live on their network, 2 weeks later

WWE does seem to care a lot about what other people think~ :adam:

13. Morton Downey Jr

Do WWE call their women "divas" anymore?

14. Juventudinho

- Increased scouting into women wrestling
    - Increased talent, in the women's division, overall
    - #GiveDivasAChance
    - During 2015 when USA won Women's World Cup and Serena Williams was at the height of her powers, only made sense to play catch up with the sports world in the US.
    - Most vocal fans were kept happy
    - Good PR to give women's division a chance

It's not like they don't mention the diva moniker or how they treated their women's wrestles like sex dolls. It only plays into their hands, which sees them making more money off their women's roster than ever.

15. Morton Downey Jr

They will eventually see valets as sexist and drop them. It's how the shitty PC world is.

Women's wrestling is garbage anyway.

16. Juventudinho

Doubt it