WWE 2008: The Next Generation

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

DakotaNorth

Reaction score

Monday Night Raw - April 14, 2008

We get a cold open as the scene opens on William Regal sitting comfortably in his office, savouring a quite lovely looking cup of English Tea, when all of a sudden John Bradshaw Layfield storms in, his pink face twisted in pure rage.

“Regal! What the hell are you going to do about that screwjob last week!?”

“Ah John”. Regal pauses and takes a sip of his tea. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“You know damn well what I’m talking about! Shawn Michaels last week! You need to do something about it!” JBL paces angrily back and forth the office.

“I recall a heartfelt speech that you interrupted and, as I recall, that ended with you laying Shawn out with a cheap shot? Is that what this is about? Did he say something to hurt your feelings?”

“This isn’t about feelings, damnit!” JBL fumes and gets right into Regal’s face. “This is about Shawn Michaels and his little buddy Triple H screwing me out of a spot in the semi-finals tonight.” He takes a step back. “I had that match won until Michaels stuck his nose where it didn’t belong.”

“It seems to be turning into something of a trend.” Regal says exasperated, looking at his tea longingly and wondering when JBL might take his leave. “Do you want to tell me what you want or do you expect me to guess, John?”

“What I want, Regal, is Shawn Michaels, in that very ring, tonight. Make it happen.”

The crowd roars their approval for that match.

“You know John, maybe it’s you spoiling my peaceful cup of tea before the show begins, or maybe it’s that I’m in my home country…” Big pop. “...but I think I’ve been too accommodating lately, and you’ve given me a great idea.”

“Awesome, make the match!”

“Yes, I will. Only…your opponent tonight won’t be Shawn Michaels, oh no. It will be ME!”

JBL is taken aback and the crowd cheers even louder than for the idea of JBL versus Shawn. Regal looks furious and it’s now his turn to get into John’s face. JBL doesn’t even know what to say for once!

“Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a match to prepare for. Good day.”

And with that, Regal directs JBL out of the office and we cut to the RAW intro video package.

“Welcome ladies and gentlemen to Monday Night RAW. I’m Jim Ross, alongside Jerry ‘The King’ Lawler, and we are coming to you live from London, England.”

“And what a night we have ahead of us, JR! After the explosive events of last week, tensions are running high, and I can't wait to see what unfolds tonight!”

“Absolutely, King! With the King of the Ring tournament heating up, and the simmering conflict between several of our WWE superstars, tonight's action is bound to be intense!”

“At least Triple H will get a break from Randy Orton’s schemes tonight with Orton missing the flight from Germany on our WrestleMania Revenge European Tour.”

“We’ll have all the highlights later on of our wonderful European fans.”

“JR, let's not forget the bombshell announcement from General Manager William Regal earlier tonight, putting himself in a match against none other than John Bradshaw Layfield!”

“Regal versus JBL as the Blackpool native takes home advantage, right here tonight! It's shaping up to be one heck of a show!”

“So grab your popcorn, folks, and settle in for another unforgettable edition of Monday Night RAW!”

—-

John Cena’s UK Open Challenge

Cena’s music hits, “The Champ Is Here!” and he tells the stagehand to cut the music.

“What up LONDON!? How y’all doing tonight?” Big pop, obviously. “I gotta say, it feels good to be back. We got to do this more often. So listen, I got an idea, hope you’re all cool with it, but I know the talent that wrestles in the UK is some of the best in the world.

“We got Big Daddy!.. Giant Haystacks!.. Adrian Street!.. Mick McManus!.. Our own General Manager William Regal!..Well, I know there’s got to be someone here tonight that has the potential to be remembered amongst that pantheon of greats. Anyone?”

Cena looks to the entrance, waiting for someone to accept his challenge.

The familiar strains - at least to the local audience - of ‘London Bridge’ hit the PA, and it’s NIGEL MCGUINESS! Half the crowd pops, half the crowd don’t know who he is, but once he comes out in a very-clearly British inspired attire, they all get behind him.

“This is Nigel McGuiness, a heavyweight champion from the UK, and he’s answered our WWE Champions challenge.”

“He’s a fan favourite here tonight, that’s for sure JR!”

“Nigel McGuiness grew up in the south of England and he found a passion for wrestling after attending SummerSlam 1992 as a teenager. He was trained by our very own Dave Taylor, so we know he’s got a fine wrestling pedigree, and has fought all over the world!”

Non-Title Match: John Cena © vs Nigel McGuiness

The bell rings and both men circle each other right away, quick collar and elbow tie up and McGuiness quickly lands a takedown, surprising the champ. Another lock up and McGuiness reverses out with a hammerlock, forcing Cena down and moving into a side headlock. Cena is up, throws Nigel off the ropes and drops McGuiness with a shoulder block. Nigel begins to try and pick the ankle to take Cena down again but it was a ploy as he gets behind Cena and goes for the full nelson. Cena throws an elbow to the head, which connects, but a second is dodged and Nigel pulls Cena back into the dragon sleeper.

“This kid is quicker than a hiccup, King. Cena’s easily the stronger man, but everytime he fights out he gets caught in another hold!”

Nigel actually has the advantage throughout the opening, Cena kept on his toes by a style he’s perhaps less familiar with, and certainly an opponent he is less familiar with. Cena begins to adapt to the match when he battles out of a grounded sleeper attempt, throwing elbows to the gut and sending McGuiness to the ropes and then CENA GETS THE SLEEPER!

“What a role reversal, JR!”

Nigel wastes no time and immediately drops Cena up and down with a back suplex. 1…2..Kickout. Nigel gives the crowd a thumbs up and looks for his patented strong lariat, Cena ducks, sit out powerbomb! Cena is down too though and can’t capitalise. Both men get to their feet and begin to exchange strikes. Nigel hits a european uppercut but a second misses and Cena rolls him up with a backslide pin attempt. Two count. Nigel is up and a knee to the gut stops Cena in his tracks. Snap suplex gets a two for Nigel. He tells the referee to keep his count steady. Nigel looks for the irish whip, pulls him back short and throws a lariat. Cena ducks! F-U!! Cena hits the F-U out of nowhere!

1…2…3!
Winner: John Cena​

“John Cena, ever resilient, pulls it out of the bag with a desperation F-U right when Nigel McGuiness was asserting a real show of dominance over the WWE Champion.”

“I’m so impressed by McGuiness, JR, we need to see more of this kid. He was great!”

“We’ll be back, right after these commercials.”

KOTR MOMENT #7

Ken Shamrock makes The Rock tap to the Ankle Lock (1998) [YouTube]

Stuck In A Rut

After the break we cut immediately backstage to Trevor Murdoch and Lance Cade. They are rewatching a tape of their World Tag Team Titles match two weeks ago against Cody Rhodes and Hardcore Holly. Murdoch looks frustrated.

“We’ve watched this a hundred times, man. Let it go.”

Cade shoots an equally frustrated look at his partner. “I just can’t let it go, Trev. We had them right where we wanted them, and then you…” he looks away, “you dropped the ball kid.”

Before Murdoch can respond they both turn in the direction of laughter from a group of people walking through the backstage area. Paul London is with a handful of backstage staff cracking jokes and having a great time. London glances and sees both Cade and Murdoch glaring at him.

“Uh hey guys, what’s up?”

“Are you laughing at us Paul?” Murdoch stands up and gets in his face. “Is that what you’re doing?”

“What? No, man, why? What are you boys up to?” He glances around them and notices the monitor showing their loss to Cody and Holly on repeat. “Catching up on some old matches are we?”

London cracks a smile and it’s a mistake. Murdoch dives at him and starts pummelling him before the group London was with can get in the middle of the three men and break it up. London tells them to try and get it done in the ring. Murdoch accepts and storms off with Cade looking a little awkward but then ultimately following his partner to get ready for their match. We cut back to the announcers at ringside.

“Well, Paul London just found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time with Trevor Murdoch losing his cool, King.”

“Is London going to try and take on both Cade and Murdoch, JR? They might be on somewhat of a winless streak lately but two on one isn’t bad odds for them!”

“You’re exactly right King, with London’s former partner Brian Kendrick no longer on Monday Night Raw, will London do this alone?”

WWE Women’s Title Match: ‘The Glamazon’ Beth Phoenix © w/ Santino vs. Mickie James w/ Ashley

Beth Phoenix
’s music hits and JR and Lawler tell us that Maria was originally slated for this match but she has picked up an injury and will be out of action for several months. They wish her well. In her absence is three time Women’s Champion Mickie James. Ashley accompanies Mickie into the ring and Beth Phoenix attacks her immediately. A running boot to the face knocks Ashley out of the ring, but when Beth turns around she gets smashed to the floor with a lariat. Mickie picks her up as the referee rings the bell to officially start the match, driving her back into the corner. CHOP!

“WOO!”

Beth Phoenix regains her composure and uses her superior strength to overpower Mickie. James runs into the corner intending an avalanche but Beth catches her and takes her for a ride with an awesome running powerslam. One..Two..Kickout. Meanwhile Santino is shouting some incoherent abuse in the general direction of Ashley which the crowd enjoys. She gets in Santino’s face but the referee is on hand to break it up and send them back to their respective corners. Beth drops down and starts choking Mickie behind the referee’s back. He turns and starts counting for her to break it up, which she does at four.

“Beth Phoenix bending the rules as far as they can go.”

Beth goes to pick Mickie up but gets caught in a small package. One..Two..Kickout. Beth is up first and a flying clothesline knocks Mickie down. She pops back up. Right hand is blocked. ROUNDHOUSE KICK! Both women drop to the floor but Mickie uses the ropes to get up and then she starts to climb the turnbuckle. Santino again winds Ashley up to the point of violence which, again, the referee breaks up only to begin arguing with Ashley as she protests about Santino’s behaviour.

Meanwhile, Santino slides into the ring behind the referee’s back and so Mickie dives at him for a hurricanrana. He catches her! Powerbomb! Santino powerbombs Mickie. The referee spins around and sees Santino in the ring and immediately calls for the bell.

DING! DING! DING!

“The winner of this bout as a result of a disqualification - Mickie James!” Justin Roberts pauses. “Therefore , STILL WWE Women’s Champion, Beth Phoenix!”
Winner: Beth Phoenix​

“That’s a robbery right there by Santino and Beth Phoenix, King. A damn robbery.”

“When will Santino learn?” Lawler gets up, potentially to deal some damage to Santino like he did a week before WrestleMania. As he stands up and takes off his headset, Mickie James is back up.

“Santino doesn’t see her!”

Mickie, enraged by the result, grabs Santino and drops him with a Mickie DDT. Beth looks to attack but Ashley is in the ring and Mickie James is up. The WWE Women’s Champion Beth Phoenix decides to duck out of the ring, pulling Santino out with her by his leg and carrying him to the back. Lawler sits back down.

“Looks like the women got this one, King.”

“He definitely had it coming.”

A Simple Request

We cut backstage to William Regal’s office, the sound of his exertions audible before we see that he is sweating heavily and counting out squats under his breath. The door suddenly swings open and in strides Triple H, bottle of water in hand, looking around the room with a raised eyebrow. The heat; suffocating.

“Regal, man, it’s like a damn sauna in here.”

HHH smirks as he waits for Regal to respond but the General Manager barely even acknowledges his presence, continuing to count under his breath. HHH pauses, waves a hand in front of Regal jokingly checking that he’s actually there before continuing.

“Anyway, listen, once I’m done winning the King of the Ring tournament. And then once I’ve gone on to Backlash and taken the WWE title from John Cena.” He pauses as the crowd cheers that one. “I want a match with Orton.”

Regal pauses briefly to wipe the sweat from his brow before resuming his workout.

“I don’t care about the stipulation. I don’t care where or when or what, I just want a match.”

Regal pauses mid-squat, looks curiously at HHH, and then stands up. “A match?”

“Yes.”

HHH cracks his knuckles reflexively. Regal grabs a bottle of water from the nearby table.

“With Orton?”

He takes a sip.

“Yes, haven’t you been listening?” HHH asks, snatching the bottle of water as he starts to get a little bit frustrated with this back and forth. “And that’s my water.”

“I do tend to make better decisions when hydrated.” He smiles, breaking the tension, and reaches out for the bottle. His palms open showing it as a well natured request. HHH shakes his head and passes the water bottle back to him.

“So about the match?”

Regal gulps the water, pausing for a moment to savour it quenching his thirst. HHH waits. He keeps drinking until there isn’t a drop left. Regal finally lowers the bottle, pauses, and then nods at HHH.

“Fine. You can have your match.” Regal resumes his squats and HHH, slightly taken aback by everything, gives him a double take before smiling to himself. After all, he got what he wanted, and so he takes his leave.

“You had to expect that after the history between The Viper and The Game. That one will be a downright slobberknocker.”

Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch vs. Paul London

Cade and Murdoch are out first presenting a united front, which is far from what we’ve seen the last few weeks. Murdoch has been the fall guy, and whilst Cade has been supportive, it took a common enemy in Paul London to reunite the former tag team champions. London is out next to a decent cheer from the fans as JR and Lawler mull over whether London has gone out and got himself a partner. He climbs onto the apron and feigns getting into the ring before pausing. He holds up a hand and asks everyone to wait before pointing dramatically at the entrance ramp.

“Oooo, Oooo, Oooo Shawn!”

“It’s Shawn Michaels ladies and gentlemen!”

It sure is, JR. Shawn Michaels comes out to a massive pop, microphone in hand, strutting and smiling atop the rampway. Cade and Murdoch look horrified, exchanging confused and angry looks between themselves. Cade shouts something incoherent at the referee and he shrugs.

“Now, didn’t I train you boys better than to go around attacking people backstage?”

Cade shouts at Shawn that it wasn’t him. Murdoch shoves him to tow the party line.

“Lance, Paul, I’ve known you kids for quite a few years, and I don’t usually like to insert myself into problems between my students.” Cade bristles at that and Shawn smirks, sarcastically adding “graduates though you may be.”

“That’s down at the Texas Wrestling Academy folks, where both Paul London and Lance Cade trained under Shawn Michaels some six years ago.”

Shawn starts to walk down the ramp. “Problem is, there’s always a bigger guy, and they’ve always got a buddy hanging back, stirring the pot. JBL, he’s one of those guys. One of those snake in the grass type of guy. And you, Lance, that’s what you’ve become. So, since I didn’t have a match tonight, and Paul was looking for a partner, I was more than happy to oblige.”

The crowd cheers that and Shawn drops the mic, removes his jacket, and slides into the ring. London hops over the top rope and Cade and Murdoch charge them both as the referee rings the bell.

DING! DING! DING!

Cade and Murdoch throw their weight into some strikes on London and Michaels but get caught out. Both Paul and Shawn duck the strikes and hit a perfectly timed stereo dropkick followed up with mirror clotheslines to take their opponents up and over the top rope to the outside. Shawn poses to a great ovation and encourages London to climb to the top rope. Shawn runs the ropes and fakes the heels out with a baseball slide, only for Paul London to come careening onto both men with a somersault senton to the outside. Shawn helps London get Murdoch into the ring so that the actual tag team match can begin. Shawn takes his corner and London lifts Murdoch into the corner for a monkey flip.

Murdoch is too heavy and he blocks the attempt before slamming Paul down to the canvas. He pauses a moment to regain his composure and when London comes diving in with a double front kick, Murdoch catches him and then tosses him headfirst into the bottom buckle of the corner. Quick tag to Cade and the heels start to CUT THE RING IN HALF and isolate their man yadda yadda. Stomps, chokes, referee distractions, you name it, Cade and Murdoch tried it. London hits a double dropsault to give himself a bit of respite as he starts crawling over to Shawn. The crowd cheers him on. As he closes in on the tag, Lance Cade uses the referee to get himself up. London makes the tag! The referee doesn’t see it!!! Shawn comes in all guns blazing but the referee grabs him and says he didn’t see a tag, there was no tag! Shawn darts back to his corner but Murdoch and Cade are already onto London and drag him back to their own corner, leaving Michaels to remonstrate with the official.

“They made the tag! Referee, what are you doing? They made the tag!”

“He can’t call what he doesn’t see, JR.”

A big bodyslam followed by a double elbow drop gets a two count and London is tiring. Shawn again gets the crowd going. Cade is in and he goes for a powerbomb but London reverses it with a hurricanrana! This is his moment and he starts to crawl one more time to Michaels in the corner who is extending his reach as far as humanly possible. Cade is rocked. Murdoch tries to tag in but can’t reach and as London crawls, Murdoch decides to handle it. He grabs London by the ankle when he’s barely one foot away from making a tag, and begins to drag him back to his corner.

“Like a predator dragging his prey into his lair.”

London uses all the energy he has left and, hopping on one foot, jumps up, kicks Murdoch with it, and propels himself backwards towards his own corner.

“He makes the tag, JR!!”

Shawn is now a legal house on fire and he throws chops and right hands at Murdoch, a diving clothesline takes Cade down. Nip up! Shawn stalks Murdoch, waiting for him to get up. SUPERKICK!

“Lance Cade tried to catch him from his blindside but Shawn caught him with a beautiful superkick out of nothing. He barely had any time to react.”

“And then he kicked his head off, JR!”

Murdoch now stumbles to his feet and also turns to face the music.

“Sweet Chin Music! He got him!”

Murdoch is laid out in the middle of the ring and he looks back at his corner as London pulls himself to his feet. Shawn looks at the crowd, points at London, and they respond with a resounding cry of approval. Shawn tags him in. London climbs to the top rope as Shawn repositions Murdoch nearer their corner. Shooting Star Press!! London makes the cover.

One...Two…Three!
Winners: Paul London & Shawn Michaels​

After the match Shawn grabs a microphone once more and says to JBL that a match at Backlash sounds like a fine idea. He’ll be ready.

Commercial break time.

KOTR MOMENT #6:

KOTR Finals: Kurt Angle vs. Edge (2001) [YouTube]

KOTR SF: Chris Jericho vs. Cody Rhodes w/ Hardcore Holly

“Ladies and Gentlemen, before this one gets underway we have to apologise for the confusion with the Semi-Final King of the Ring matches. Last week we announced that Chris Jericho would face Triple H, and Carlito would face Cody Rhodes. We had a mix up and the semi-finals tonight will actually be Chris Jericho taking on Cody Rhodes, and Triple H facing off against Carlito. We apologise for the mix-up and hope it doesn’t impact your viewing pleasure.”

After that apology, the World Tag Team Champions come out together and JR and Lawler reflect on how much like Cade and Murdoch, even the Tag Champions are having their own issues due to events that have occurred during the King of the Ring. Holly was on the losing end in the opening round to Carlito which came when he was distracted by his partner being down injured. However, unlike Cade and Murdoch, it looks like these two have put their issues behind them with Holly in Cody’s corner in this semi final match. Jericho is out next with both his Intercontinental Title and Money in the Bank briefcase. He hands them off at ringside as JR wonders when Jericho might use the briefcase. King says if he wins King of the Ring he may need attendants to carry it all!

The bell rings and Jericho wastes no time asserting his dominance through his veteran experience. He dictates the pace of the match as Cody tries to get a head of steam by running the ropes but Jericho dodges, ducks, dips, dives, and dodges again, catching Cody in a sleeper hold. Jericho ditches the more athletic aspects of his repertoire, choosing to ground Cody and wear him down. Everytime Cody tries to wriggle free, Jericho clubs away at Cody’s back and locks the sleeper in again.

“Jericho has that sleeper locked in deep, looking to wear down Cody and stop him from using his aerial game.”

“Jericho is no slow-poke King, he can hang with the best of them in the air or on the ground, but right now he’s making it so Cody has to fight for every breath and he’s controlling the pace with his veteran experience.”

Bob Holly encourages Cody, telling him to fight free, so Jericho tells him to “shut the hell up, you idiot” and locks it in tighter. Cody wraps his arms around Jericho and lifts him up and then down with a back body drop! Jericho holds on! It’s less a sleeper and more a crossface come chinlock, but Jericho wrenches back and Cody is forced to roll and try and hook his foot on the bottom rope. Jericho looks to get a more solid foundation to apply pressure but it gives Cody the space he needs to reach the rope and cause the referee to force a break. Jericho relents. Lifting Cody up he tries a suplex. No! Small package! One..Two..Kickout!

“Cody almost caught Jericho there!”

“An uncharacteristic mistake from Y2J.”

Jericho gets up, furious, and unceremoniously kicks Cody in the head. He makes a cocky pin but Cody shoves him off at the count of two. Jericho looks for the Walls of Jericho but Cody kicks him away. Running clothesline from Cody misses, bulldog attempt by Jericho is blocked, and Jericho goes for a spinebuster, but Cody gets a grip around Jericho’s neck and plants him with a spiking tornado DDT. Both men are down.

“Cody Rhodes showing that genetic determination and resolve!”

The referee goes to count but Cody is up to a knee and crawling over to Jericho. Cover. One..Two..Kickout! Cody gestures to the fans who are not quite sure they want Cody to beat Jericho, but when he points to the top rope they all cheer him on. Cody goes up…AND JERICHO THROWS HIM OFF THE TOP ROPE TO THE OUTSIDE!

“By God, King, Cody Rhodes might be broken in half!”

“Did you see how his head and neck snapped back after colliding with the barrier?”

Holly is quick to check on his partner, but Jericho is equally quick to capitalise on his advantage. He jumps out of the ring, shoves Bob out of the way, and drags Cody Rhodes limp body back into the ring. Holly gets in his face but Jericho says “Do it! Cost him the match! He’s already lost”. Holly refrains, but is clearly seething with Jericho putting hands on him. Back in the ring Jericho makes the cover. One…Two…Th-NO! Kickout! Cody Rhodes kicks out despite showing no sign of fighting back after his collision outside. We get a picture-in-picture replay of that moment, with the slow-mo perfectly capturing the damage done to him.

“I don’t think Cody can take much more here. You gotta admire his spirit, you really do, but it’s not been a fair fight since that high-impact collision with the barrier.”

Jericho gets frustrated and asks the referee to count consistently. He picks Cody up, and Cody AGAIN goes for the small package, but Jericho isn’t going to get caught by that trick a second time. Cody tries to roll through but Chris holds strong, powering Cody up. Brainbuster!!! Cody sells it like he’s been murdered. Jericho considers the pin but decides to shout a bit of abuse at Holly first. Then he makes the pin. One..Two..Kickout! Jericho smiles. Cody gets up and Jericho tries a backslide pin. He gets him and immediately puts his feet on the ropes for added leverage.

One...Two…NO! Holly pushes Jericho’s feet off the ropes and breaks up the pin. The referee immediately goes to Holly to remove him from ringside. Cody rolls Jericho up but the referee doesn’t see it. The crowd chant along…One…Two…Three. Cody breaks the hold and looks up, and gets a diving elbow to the face from Jericho. Holly climbs up on the apron to inform him that Jericho was cheating and that he just didn’t see it, urging him to get back and call the match. The referee is having absolutely none of it and ejects Holly from ringside. Bob is pissed. Jericho seeing all this going on, grabs Cody and charges him face first into Holly. Holly gets knocked to the outside, Jericho pulls Cody down with a reverse rolling cradle.

One..Two..Three!
Winner: Chris Jericho​

Cody looks dejected as he collapses down onto the canvas, his energy spent, and his emotions running high. Holly holds his face on the outside after his collision with Cody. Jericho grabs his title and briefcase and heads up the ramp, pausing by Holly to smirk before leaving.

“Jericho wins after Hardcore Holly’s temper got the better of him. JR, how impressive was Jericho there?”

“The experienced veteran knows all manner of ways to win, and you have to believe that Jericho’s antics here tonight were fully intended to get a rise out of Bob Holly.”

“Cast it out and reel them in, JR. Chris Jericho advances to the finals!”

“But between Triple H and Carlito, who is going to join him in the finals of the King of the Ring? That’s part one of our triple header this evening in London, up next we have JBL and William Regal.”

“I can’t wait to see the General Manager in action, JR.”

KOTR MOMENT #5:

Billy Gunn wins King of the Ring (1999) [YouTube]

William Regal vs. John Bradshaw Layfield

JBL is out first, drawing the biggest jeers of the evening so far. Regal’s entrance is the opposite as the crowd eat up the hometown hero coming to lay a beat down on the brash new yorker. JBL tries a lock up as the bell rings but Regal immediately pulls a side headlock and then a takedown, exerting side control and drawing another loud cheer from the crowd. JBL fights back to a vertical base and kicks out Regal’s knee before coming off the ropes with a boot right to Regal’s head. The GM goes down hard. Hard stomps and a measured right hand keep Regal down. Bradshaw makes the cover. The ref counts two and Regal gets the shoulder up. Another pin, this time with JBL mockingly resting his elbow over Regal’s face. Two count again. After a couple more rest holds, Regal makes a brief comeback, gets cut off by a powerslam, and Bradshaw gets another two count.

“JBL having the better of our General Manager in the opening, JR.”

“Regal hasn’t had a match in four months and that ring rust may be showing here.”

JBL gets slightly complacent and Regal catches him in a heel hook, but he’s too close to the ropes and John breaks free. The crowd start to chant for Regal and he channels their energy into mounting a comeback. HARD CHOP!

“WOOO!”

JBL gets forced back into the corner and Regal unloads with a series of body blows. He climbs to the second rope and begins the ten count punches. JBL cuts him off at seven and tries a powerbomb but Regal goes to the eyes. JBL drops him, Regal hits two heavy forearms and goes back into the corner. The punches start again! JBL cuts Regal off at nine and this time nails the powerbomb! Both men are down. JBL gets up to a knee. Regal throws a kick at him and JBL’s knee buckles, sending him sprawling backwards onto the mat in agony. The GM gets up and locks in the Regal Stretch!

“JBL is in the middle of the ring with nowhere to go! He has to tap! The way his knee gave way made me shudder JR!”

“It could be a serious injury King, I don’t think JBL has any other option but to call it and live to fight another day before irreparable damage is done to that knee.”

JBL pulls and crawls but he has nowhere to go. He aims a right hand with his free arm but barely makes contact as Regal wrenches back as hard as he can. JBL cries out. He pulls and tries to get to the ropes but he can’t. He taps.
Winner: William Regal​

“The General Manager may have been out of action for four months but his cerebral approach to victory at all costs gets him the victory.”

“Possibly at the expense of a serious injury, JR!”

Medics and referee’s come to ringside and we cut to the final commercial break of the evening before the main event. Triple H versus Carlito. The winner will go on to face Chris Jericho next week in the finals. Next!

KOTR MOMENT #4:

Hunter Hearst Helmsley wins King of the Ring (1997) [YouTube]

KOTR SF: Carlito vs. Triple H

“Time to play the game!”

HHH is out first, the crowd primed after the last two matches. JR notes that Regal’s victory seems to have picked the crowd up, and their energy is carrying through to this one. HHH - with a replacement bottle! - strides confidently to the ring and poses for the fans. Carlito’s entrance is met with a chorus of jeers, as he threatens numerous fans with taking a bite of his apple. Nutrition is terrifying.

“Carlito looks confident but The Game has to have the advantage here. A former King of the Ring winner, the Game has been competing in high pressure matches for over a decade, and Carlito will need every trick in the book if he’s to pull one over on Triple H tonight.”

“I wouldn’t underestimate Carlito, King. He’s a former United States and Intercontinental champion, he’s got a good pedigree. Pardon the pun. Besides, HHH took a beating at the hands of Randy Orton last week, and that’s before he had to face a particularly mean-spirited John Bradshaw Layfield.”

“Pedigree might be his undoing tonight.”

“Oh, would you stop that.”

Carlito holds up his hands and tries to make this one a proper wrestling match by offering a tie-up. HHH debates it, looks to the crowd for an answer, and responds with a straight right to Carlito. A couple more follow and Carlito is backed against the ropes. HHH sends him with an irish whip, clothesline misses, Carlito comes back with a swinging neckbreaker. Pin. One count. Carlito throws a few right hands but all they do is annoy HHH and he fires back, again sending him off the ropes, but this time throws a knee to Carlito’s gut sending him hurtling. Running knee drop misses as Carlito rolls out of the way. HHH catches a savate kick, spins Carlito round but gets DROPPED with a brutal clothesline from the Puerto Rican native.

“Carlito with a great counter there, catching HHH by surprise.”

Carlito stomps away at the neck and upper back, trying to grab a neck crank but HHH fights out of it with his superior strength.

“Carlito needs to use technique, not power, to overcome The Game.”

A few more moves targeting the neck and Carlito goes for a surfboard, using his knee to press into HHH’s spine, but also to give him some distance to make it hard for HHH to break the hold. As Carlito wrenches back on the surfboard submission, HHH grits his teeth. His face contorted in pain giving every ounce of effort to try to break loose. Both men fight for every inch as Carlito tries to maintain the hold. HHH lifts one arm free and then the other, forcing Carlito to lose leverage on the hold. He powers his way back up. Carlito can’t hold on anymore and breaks the hold.

"What a display of strength from Triple H!"

Carlito throws a left hand. Blocked. Right hand. Blocked. HHH unloads with a series of chops and right hands. Carlito throws a clothesline, HHH ducks and runs the ropes. Running Knee! HHH picks him up, looks for another irish whip but this time Carlito reverses.

“Knee to face” shouts a guy from the crowd. HHH agrees and when Carlito drops down to body drop HHH, he gets met with a facebuster. One..Two..Kickout! HHH can’t press home the advantage though after Carlito reverses a HHH attack into a russian legsweep and then following up with a scoop suplex for a two count. After a quick glance at the referee, Carlito goes right back to the surfboard. Triple H grimaces in pain as Carlito torques his spine once again, the pressure evident on his face.

“With each agonising second, The Game's resolve is put to the test here.”

“Carlito’s got him in the middle of the ring JR, it’s a long way out of that hold!”

HHH, however, still has enough strength left in his reserves to once again fight back out of the hold as the crowd rallies behind him. With a final burst of effort HHH once again powers out and forces Carlito back. More strikes force Carlito back into the corner. HHH hits a shoulder block and winces at the pain it gives him to hit it. He shakes it off. ANOTHER shoulder block. Again, the pain shows on his face. He lifts Carlito up to the top turnbuckle and positions him properly, throwing a few chops to keep his opponent dazed.

“Triple H showing incredible determination here, folks. He refuses to give up, no matter how dire the situation!"

“If he’s going for what I think he’s going for, this might wipe him out as well as Carlito!”

HHH climbs up after him. Carlito lands a couple of body shots to try and get HHH away from him but HHH unloads with several of his own and gets the better of him. SUPERPLEX! HHH and Carlito both hit hard and, as King predicted, both men are down and out. The referee counts. Carlito is up at five and HHH is only just getting to a knee.

“Carlito is stalking him for the backstabber!”

HHH gets up, Carlito charges, but HHH knew he was coming and catches him with a SPINEBUSTER!! Got him. Now HHH plays the waiting game as Carlito gets to his feet. Kick. Wham. NO! Carlito doesn’t let HHH get the double underhook and fights out. Jawbreaker into a DDT SPIKES HHH on the canvas. Carlito falls on top of him with the cover. 1…2…Kickout! Carlito decides the surfboard has served him well and he looks to set it up but HHH counters before he can even lock it in with a BIG TIME elbow to the side of the head. Carlito staggers back. HHH gets to a knee and Carlito throws a right hand. It lands. HHH doesn’t go down. He throws his hair back and tells him to do it again.

"The tide of this match is in the balance, King! Triple H is digging deep and fighting back with everything he's got!"

Another right hand lands. HHH winces but shakes that one off too. Now he’s up to both feet. Carlito throws a third punch. Blocked. HHH throws a knee to the gut. He looks to run and hit the ropes. BACKSTABBER! Carlito got him out of nowhere! He hit the Backstabber!!!

ONE…TWO…THR-NO!

“By God, HHH kicks out at two and a half!”

Carlito can’t believe it, wondering what he has to do to win this one. HHH is struggling to his feet so Carlito decides another Backstabber will finish this one. HHH is up to a knee. Carlito is begging him to get up. He stands up. BACKSTAB-NO! HHH blocks it!!! KICK. WHAM. PEDIGREE!

One…

Two…

Three!
Winner: HHH​

“HHH gets it. The Pedigree finishes this one and HHH advances to the finals against Chris Jericho in a weeks time on Monday Night Raw.”

“What a match JR, I really thought Carlito had him! I really did!”

“I think Carlito thought he had him but HHH, even at less than 100%, mustered some of his world-renowned resilience to hang on in this one and pick up the victory…Wait a minute!!”

“It’s Randy Orton!”

“I thought he missed his flight!?”

Orton is here, and as HHH is celebrating his hard-fought victory and struggling to stay on his feet, The Viper slithers into the ring unseen. The referee notices him but it’s all too late. HHH turns around. RKO! RKO!

“Damn you Randy Orton.”

HHH, despite his clear pain, struggles onto all fours. Orton notices. Glances at the crowd and begins to take a few steps back.

“No. Don’t do it Randy. Don’t do it!!”

PUNT KICK.

JR and Lawler continue to get upset about what’s just happened. Orton just stands victorious over a fallen Triple H, slumped in a heap on the canvas. A big smile spreads across his face as the show goes off the air.

—​

Results:​
  1. Non-Title Match: John Cena def. Nigel McGuiness [05:32]​
  2. WWE Women’s Title: Beth Phoenix © w/ Santino def. Mickie w/ Ashley [04:57]​
  3. Paul London & Shawn Michaels def. Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch [11:03]​
  4. KOTR SF: Chris Jericho def. Cody Rhodes w/ Hardcore Holly [14:15]​
  5. JBL def. William Regal {07:44]​
  6. KOTR SF: Triple H def. Carlito {10:24]​
—-

Notes

So everything was going fine, plain sailing the whole way, and then I got hit with three injuries all in the space of two days. First was Maria, who, whilst not critical to any of my plans, is an established DIVA on a roster with very few alternatives. SO, not ideal, but we can work with that. Then, someone intended to debut after Backlash was injured (I wont say who, they’ll show up in the future). Which, again, not critical, but the roster is so weak.

And then JBL got a nine month injury.

So, this is just a note to say that the JBL injury I wrote into his match was a way to explain that, and that’s not a work, that’s a shoot (brother!). In an earlier post I mentioned that HHH would be taking some time off to coincide with the birth of his and Stephanie’s second child (and to also head up Creative with the removal of Vince from the company). Initially that would have seen him leaving next month, but plans have been changed. He’ll be here until Night of Champions.

I just wanted to address that incase it causes any inconsistencies with what I had mentioned earlier about HHH taking time off. It’ll still happen, but can’t lose all our RAW star power at once!​

Reactions: Roy Mustang and RDT

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
JBL going down is a very rough injury (if me picking his opponent had any impact I do apologise for that). But that is some rough star power to be losing all at once early on. Curious to see of Nigel McGuiness sticks around but overall a fun Raw to read through.

DakotaNorth

Reaction score
JBL going down is a very rough injury (if me picking his opponent had any impact I do apologise for that). But that is some rough star power to be losing all at once early on. Curious to see of Nigel McGuiness sticks around but overall a fun Raw to read through.
Thanks man. It is 110% your fault - Regal was that desperate to go over in London he just did what he had to. It does make things interesting though as Orton, Carlito and Umaga are now the only viable heels on RAW, so short-term it's rough, but long-term it should open up some extra opportunities for others! Glad you enjoyed it !

Reactions: Roy Mustang

DakotaNorth

Reaction score

ECW on Sci-Fi - April 15, 2008

Last week on ‘ECW on Sci Fi’, CM Punk made Tommy Dreamer tap to the Anaconda Vice to earn himself a title shot against Kane at Backlash. Big Show and The Great Khali disappeared out of the ring and through the crowd as their rivalry heats up ahead of their match at Backlash. Meanwhile, Armando Estrada is making deals with who we presume to be Vickie Guerrero, but to what end? We know he wants to bring about the destruction of ECW, to finally lay to rest the ‘house of hardcore’, but how and, maybe more importantly, why? Let’s hope we find out some answers on this week's episode of ECW on Sci-Fi.

Cue those opening credits.

“Hello and welcome to E-C-W on Sci-Fi! Joey Styles, alongside Tazz, here in London, England, and we may only just have reached the halfway point before Backlash, but that card has been shaping up.”

“Damn right Joe. CM Punk made Tommy Dreamer tap last week, to get the delight of facing Kane for the ECW title at Backlash. Is that a reward? Having to face the Big Red Machine isn’t my kind of reward. How about a night off?”

“It will be quite the opposite of a night off Tazz, it will be one of the hardest obstacles of CM Punk’s career so far. He is a former ECW champion, but Kane’s path of destruction speaks for itself. He is one of the most dominant forces in the history of sports entertainment, and with the manipulative controller, Estrada, behind him, it’s going to take everything CM Punk has to dethrone him.”

“He’s gotta believe, Joe.”

‘This Fire Burns’ hits and here comes the number one contender for Kane’s ECW title, CM Punk. He’s already got a microphone in hand as he steps into the ring. He’s favouring one of his arms, the left shoulder taped up.

“You know, I was going to take the night off.” He pauses, smirking. “It’s a long damn flight guys! But in all seriousness, I first wrestled in London five years ago, just thirty minutes from here at a little place called York Hall. I like to go back there whenever I get to be in this fantastic country. It reminds me of what I’ve had to do to get to this point in my career.

“I’ve been the ECW champion, and I fully intend to become champion once again. Only, this time, there’s more at stake. Armando Estrada wants to end ECW? He wants to drive it into the ground with mismanagement, poor decision making, and a lack of an eye for talent. He wants to turn the land of the extreme into a sanitised PG product that gives you out of shape slobs and muscle-bound freaks and he wants you to tell him how great he is whilst he does it.

“However. Whilst he has tried. And whilst many have fallen under his tyrannical reign as ECW’s General Manager. A few still remain. A few still fight. This company owes him a debt that can never be repaid, and now I owe him a debt. I’d like to call out to the ring Mr. Tuesday Night, the Whole Damn Show…Rob…Van…Dam!”

ONE OF A KIND! RVD looks even worse than Punk as he hobbles to the ring and sports the remnants of a swollen eye. RVD gets in the ring, shakes hands with Punk, grabs a mic, and then Punk continues.

“Rob, last week you did something I never thought I’d see. You sacrificed yourself. For me. I guess I have only one question…why?”

“Hey man, Punk, I wish I could lie and tell you it was for a noble cause or whatever, but do you know what the truth is? The truth is, I acted on instinct. If I got that moment all over again, I can’t say I wouldn’t take you out and become number one contender myself.” RVD and Punk share a brief serious moment.

“I appreciate your honesty. Since we’re telling the truth. If I were in your place, would I choose to take out Kane…” He takes a step forward towards RVD. “Or would I take you out? I guess we’ll never know.”

The two men face off again, but RVD smiles and offers him his hand. Punk takes a second and then shakes his hand, the two cementing their alliance, however temporary or ideologically driven it may be. The fans cheer the two men, but get cut short by Armando Estrada.

“Escucha me, escucha me, what do we have here? Como si dice, unlikely alliance? Ha-ha! Last week was a - how you say - flash in the pan! But since the two of you like teaming together. And since Tommy Dreamer isn’t here after the damage sustained at the hands of my monster champion Kane ha-ha! - and Punk, you helped us a little bit with that one too, so gracias amigo. Well, how about we have ourselves a little tag match between the number one contender and his little extreme buddy, and two of my monsters.”

Rob grabs the mic. “As I see it Armando, all you do is announce handicap matches which result in a load of bullshit and a bunch of run-ins.”

“And?”

“Well, as fun as it has been kicking your ‘monsters’ all over, it just doesn’t have the same spark it once had for me.” Punk and Van Dam share a laugh in the ring whilst Estrada is slightly confused and becoming somewhat flustered.

“Ah-ha, so you want the stakes raised?”

Punk interjects. “We want you gone. That’s what we want. Anything else is just delaying the inevitable.”

“I’m afraid you are stuck with me a little while longer gentlemen, but you may get your wish sooner than you’d like. As for tonight. No handicap match. None of my men at ringside. No tricks. Just CM Punk and Rob Van Dam versus the ECW Champion, Kane, and someone I think you’re all too familiar with Rob. The Man Beast. RHYNO!”

Rhyno hits the ring and both Van Dam and Punk are caught unawares. Van Dam gets nailed with a GORE! immediately. Punk turns to see what's going on(and I say!), but only long enough to realise he’s about to get speared out of his boots. GORE! GORE! GORE! Rhyno wipes out both Van Dam and CM Punk in one fell swoop, and in the main event they will face Kane and Rhyno.

“Even without interference, even before Rhyno attacked these two men from behind, CM Punk and Rob Van Dam were not fighting fit. Now, I don’t see how they can overcome two instruments of violence like Rhyno and Kane.”

“That had to be Estrada’s plan all along, Joe. Rhyno was a monster back in ECW, a former ECW champion, a former WWE Hardcore champion, this guy is the real deal.”

“And he seems to be on Estrada’s payroll. Damn you, Rhyno.”

[Commercial Break]

The Miz w/ John Morrison vs. Tony Mamaluke

The Miz and John Morrison took shots at the Full Blooded Italians stable on their webshow ‘The Dirt Sheet’, leading to a challenge from Guido to the WWE Tag Team Champions. After Little Guido picked up a victory over The Miz last week on ECW, he then turned his attention to Miz’s tag team partner John Morrison. With the help of Miz and a title belt to the face, Morrison picked up the win over Guido on last week’s episode of Smackdown. Morrison wasn’t too pleased with his partner’s interference, feeling he already had the match won, but it didn’t stop them from celebrating together in the ring after. Tonight, Tony Mamaluke returns to ECW looking to replicate his former partner’s success by beating The Miz.

“AWESOME…”

“Well, here comes the Miz as John Morrison joins us on commentary.”

“Joe, be nicer to our guests. John, it's a pleasure to have you join us for this one.”

“Thanks Tazz, it’s always good to get the best seat in the house to watch The Miz put a beatdown on somebody. Although Tony Mamaluke ain’t somebody, he’s a nobody. I ain’t a fan of The FBI, I think it’s baloney. But at least Guido made a name for himself, who even is this guy?”

“Well, Tony Mamaluke was trained by one of the greats; Dean Malenko. He’s held tag team titles across the world; including the ECW Tag Team Titles. You may not know him but he was winning titles before you were winning Tough Enough, so a little bit of respect wouldn’t be amiss.

“Well, Joey, as true - or not - as all that may be, Miz is a current WWE Tag Team Champion, so you can live in the past if you like, but John Morrison and The Miz, we’re the present and future of this business.”

Miz gets an aggressive start over Mamaluke, but it isn’t long before Tony takes it to the mat and impresses upon Miz the skill difference in their grappling ability. Mamaluke gets a few cheers from the crowd as he seems to actively be trying to embarrass the reality star. Miz gets taken down for a third time in a row and then swings an elbow, knocking Mamaluke back and giving Miz the opening he needed. A suplex gets a two count, a body slam another, but a DDT attempt is blocked by Mamaluke who hits a northern lights suplex with a bridge for two. Mamaluke tries a german suplex but is blocked, and Miz capitalises with a knee to the midsection followed by a neckbreaker, 1…2…kickout. Neither man is able to hold an advantage as Miz gets countered into several submission holds, but is able to break free either with the ropes or with a forearm to the face. Both work as well as one another. As Mamaluke signals for the end, Morrison interjects himself by jumping onto the apron and getting the referee’s attention.

“He was warned last week for his ringside antics Tazz, and if John Morrison isn’t careful, he could cost The Miz the match like last week.”

With the referee’s back turned, Miz hits the low blow, and then immediately follows up with the Reality Check.

“Or he could do enough to win him the match.”

Morrison jumps down from the apron, his job complete. Miz makes the cover as the referee becomes aware of the action behind him. 1…2…3.
Winner: The Miz

Morrison jumps into the ring smirking as he hands Miz his belt. Miz looks a little less than pleased as he says “I had him John, I had this one.” Morrison shrugs and doesn’t argue, instead pointing at Mamaluke who is starting to get up. Miz agrees and the two take a step back, ready to hit EN STEREO title belt shots when Guido hits the ring and chases the tag team champs out of there. He checks on Mamaluke and, once he has him up to his feet, starts to berate him. Just like old times. Mamaluke smiles and pats Guido on the chest saying, “yeah yeah, you’re always right” as we cut backstage.

Reborn

Waiting for us backstage is Elijah Burke! He is dressed in a white robe complete with a white hood that partially shrouds his face.

“Allow me to reintroduce myself. My name is Elijah Burke, and I have been reborn. No longer shall I be shackled by sentiment or expectation. I have been saved. Heed my words, for I am the harbinger of chaos, I am the devil among men, and I am here to collect that which is due. In another life I led a new breed into battle, but I was not ready for that burden, and I lost. After that I achieved individual greatness, only for it to be snatched away because, once again, I was not ready for that burden. I toiled and I fought and I finally gave in to the dark passenger within, that voice in the back of your head that speaks the truths you don’t want to hear. I accepted it for what it was. My inner violence. And with that acceptance came an understanding that has set me free.

“Free from the weaknesses of the mortal man who is compelled by his peers to follow a social code. A code that makes them inept. Desperate. Fragile beings always on the cusp of self-destruction. Their code preaches honour and respect, but at the cost of the soul. I sold my soul once, and I can never get it back, but I sold it for greatness. Mankind sells his soul for mediocrity and contempt. I am going to burn your code to the ground and incite a chaos so destructive and beautiful that from the ashes shall rise a new world built upon the tenets written by my own hand.

“To those who wish to be saved I extend a hand. To those who dare oppose me in this fight I offer a warning: tread carefully. I am here to free you from yourselves, whether you like it or not. For I am no longer just Elijah Burke. I am the messenger. I can be your emissary of sanctitude or I will be your reckoning. I am ‘The Saviour’ Elijah Burke. All paths go through me.”

He bows and clasps his hands together in prayer as the feed cuts and we head back ringside with Tazz and Joey Styles.

Leroy Kincaid vs. Colin Delaney

“Another match where Colin Delaney gets his opportunity to earn a contract with ECW. Leroy Kincaid is a local wrestler that was impressing some of the guys in the back at a gym earlier today, so he gets a tryout match to try and show us what he’s all about.”

Leroy may be local, but he’s certainly got a lot of pedigree having fought over British titles with the likes of Martin Stone, James Tighe, and Pac. A few in the audience recognise him as he comes out and give him a warm welcome; Delaney gets booed as a result of the local tribalism, which has a noticeable impact on his confidence; or lack thereof. Colin tries a lock up from the open but gets reversed into a hammerlock, which Kincaid then turns into a front headlock and then drops Delaney face first with a DDT. 1…2…kickout.

“Well, Colin Delaney lasted longer here tonight, but although many of you may be more familiar with Colin Delaney than Leory Kincaid, Kincaid has a lot more experience and has at least fifty pounds on him.”

Back to their feet and Olsen throws a few open right’s but barely leaves any impact. He ducks a clothesline, hits the ropes, and gets dropped with a spinning powerslam for another two count. This one doesn’t go much longer as Olsen manages to duck out of a charge into the corner but makes the mistake of taking far too long to climb up the ropes to the top turnbuckle. He gets caught. Kincaid crotches him on the top and begins the climb himself. BIG top rope superplex, Kincaid then signals that he’s going to hit the top rope. SPIRAL TAP! (Corkscrew senton). Kincaid makes the cover…1…2…3.
Winner: Leroy Kincaid

“Colin Delaney can’t catch a break as UK top talent Leroy Kincaid gets the victory in dominant fashion.”

[Commercial Break]

Diva Dance Off

Tazz stands in the centre of the ring, microphone in hand, excited as could be. He introduces each Diva in turn as they make their way to the ring; Layla, Maryse, Eve Torres, and Kelly Kelly. Kelly gets, by far, the loudest response from the audience. Then the Divas line up in the ring, ready for their dance-off.

"Ladies and gentlemen,” Tazz says. “It's time for a little change of pace here on ECW! We've got some of the most talented Divas in the WWE about to show us their dance moves. Let's give it up for Layla, Maryse, Eve Torres, and Kelly Kelly!"

The arena erupts with cheers as each Diva steps forward, ready to showcase their skills.

"Alright, let's see what you've got, ladies! Hit that music!"

As the upbeat music starts, each Diva takes turns strutting their stuff, dancing with style and flair. Maryse opens to a great reaction, then Eve Torres to an even louder one. Layla looks to steal the show but the crowd boo her - most likely due to her frequent eye rolls, and her clash with Eve Torres just before WrestleMania. Kelly Kelly is last to go and the crowd cheers and applauds, thoroughly entertained by the display.

"Look at these Divas go, folks! They're absolutely tearing up the dance floor!"

The Divas continue to impress with their moves, and unfortunately Tazz decides to join in - somebody cancel this man! It's Kelly Kelly (and not Tazz) who steals the show with her infectious energy and charisma and the crowd show their appreciation for her talents. The music cuts off and Tazz runs through everyone’s name again to judge the crowd reaction to each woman.

"And the winner of the Diva Dance Off is... Kelly Kelly!"

The crowd erupts with cheers as Kelly Kelly celebrates her victory, basking in the adoration of the audience. However, Layla steps forward, a hint of annoyance evident on her face.

"Congratulations, Kelly. But let's not forget who the real queen is around here."

With a toss of her hair, Layla walks off, clearly not pleased with the outcome of the dance-off, leaving Kelly Kelly to revel in her win as the segment comes to a close. The music hits again and Kelly goes for it one more time. Thankfully Tazz relents and heads out of the ring and back to the announce booth as Joey tells us we’re about to head to commercial break.

“I hope I never have to see that again.”

Kofi Kingston vs. Shelton Benjamin

Kofi Kingston is out first as the divas are still heading down the rampway. He shares a moment with Kelly Kelly before continuing to the ring. Kofi is undefeated so far, but faces his most difficult task in ‘Gold Standard’ Shelton Benjamin. Benjamin hasn’t been having his best time recently, as whilst he has a few tag team victories alongside the likes of Mike Knox and pre-reborn Elijah Burke, his singles career has somewhat stalled despite good showings against CM Punk and John Morrison as a challenger for the ECW title

“Shelton will be looking to get back into winning ways to force himself into the ECW title conversation, whilst Kofi Kingston is looking to establish himself - which he has so far done in impressive fashion.”

Both men show off their athleticism in a series of reversals that gives us a stalemate. Quick arm drag from Kofi is met with a headlock takeover by Shelton. Kofi rolls through, ducking under a clothesline attempt, and hits a springboard snapmare. Shelton gets to one knee and both men stand off. Into another tie-up and Shelton feigns a takedown before hoisting Kofi up and down HARD with a body slam. Shelton backs off, confidently allowing Kofi to get to his feet, having proven his strength in that one.

“Kofi’s got to shake that off and stick to the game plan. Hit them fast and keep moving.”

That’s precisely what Kofi does, ducking a clinch attempt and throwing several leg kicks, knocking Shelton to one knee and then a SHINING WIZARD sends him sprawling to the mat. Cover. Two count! Kofi looks for a basement dropkick to the knee but Shelton sidesteps, and fires back with his own kick, right into the spine of Kingston. Two more and Benjamin drops into a sleeper hold. The crowd boos but then we get a ‘Kofi’ chant breaking out and rippling throughout the arena. Kofi uses this to FIRE UP. Elbows to the gut, Kofi runs the ropes and hits a wheelbarrow bulldog. Two count. He’s fired up and looking for his finisher, Shelton ducks and…

“SUPERKICK!”

“He kicked his damn head off, Joe!”

Shelton poses for the fans and points at the top rope. He jumps up, poses once more.

“Four-Fifty Splash coming up.”

“KNEES! HE GOT HIS KNEES UP!”

Shelton is writhing in pain holding his stomach. Kofi still hasn’t got up as the ref checks on both men. He starts to count but Benjamin is up to a knee and Kofi is using the ropes to drag himself up in the corner. Shelton charges in and connects with a corner clothesline. Kofi stumbles out, Benjamin springboards off the ropes looking for a lariat.

“TROUBLE IN PARADISE!”

Kofi connects square with Shelton’s jaw and he hits the mat hard. Kofi makes the cover.

1…2…3.
Winner: Kofi Kingston

“Still undefeated, Joe?”

“Still undefeated, Tazz. Kofi with another impressive victory, this time over an established superstar within ECW.”

“If he keeps going like this, there’s no ceiling to what he can achieve. What a brutal roundhouse kick he has. He put Shelton to sleep!”

“And he got the fans out of their seats. Kofi Kingston is your winner, with Shelton’s aerial reliance costing him once again.”

“That superkick could’ve done it Joe, but he didn’t make the cover. You’ve got to make the cover.”

Money Talks

Backstage we find Rob Van Dam and CM Punk walking to the ring ahead of their match deep in conversation. The camera’s catch up with them to hear the tail-end of their conversation.

“I.. I knew him…at least, I thought I did”. Van Dam shakes his head. “He’s always been a bit intense, but this?”

“Money talks, man.” Punk stops walking and clasps RVD on the shoulder. “Money talks and makes people do crazy shit. But tonight, I’ll be honest, my focus is on Kane. If Rhyno gets in my way, I’ll deal with him then, but the only way to reclaim some semblance of power on this show is to take the title away from Estrada.”

“Yeah, you’re right. Leave Rhyno to me. Estrada might not have anyone else at ringside, but there’s no way anyone’s here to play fair.”

Punk smiles and produces a singapore cane. “That’s good, because I’m happy to indulge them.”

Van Dam looks at him, pauses, and then folds his arms. “Just the one?”

Punk produces another from behind his back. “Let’s do this.”

CM Punk & Rob Van Dam vs. Kane & Rhyno

“This is sure to be a fiery encounter between these four men after everything that has transpired these last few weeks.”

Kane starts the match with RVD, most probably still annoyed about the attack he suffered last week when RVD came crashing down onto him from the top turnbuckle. He uses his strength to easily dominate early on, tossing him across the ring and then stalking him as he gets to his feet and then doing the same again. He goads Punk into tagging in, who obliges him! Punk tags in, ducks a clothesline, and then hits a running forearm onto Rhyno, completely blindsiding him and knocking him to the floor.

“Punk prepared to play dirty in this one.”

“Both Van Dam and Punk put themselves through a lot last week, and add to that Rhyno’s attack at the start of this show, they need everything to go their way.”

Kane grabs him immediately and Punk can’t break free. Rhyno tries to charge into the ring but gets stopped by the referee.

THWACK!

“KANE GOT BLASTED WITH THE SINGAPORE CANE!”

Thankfully the referee is rather deaf as he mistakes the cane shot from RVD to the back of Kane’s head for a tag, and Punk rolls out as Van Dam takes control. Rhyno is furious but when he goes to manhandle the referee he gets warned. This isn’t Extreme Rules after all. Van Dam hits a rolling legdrop and then a springboard senton but Kane throws him off the cover at the count of one. Van Dam hits the ropes again but Rhyno’s willingness to play by the rules is always in doubt, and he pulls down the top rope and RVD tumbles over and down to the floor.

The referee warns him against attacking RVD so he backs off smiling. Kane follows him out (in that slick backwards ring exit he does) and now the ref is keeping CM Punk at bay. Kane drops RVD on to the barricade and then throws him through the steel steps. Kane slides back into the ring and stares down Punk - so the referee, obviously, heads over and stops Punk getting into the ring. He furiously points at what Rhyno’s doing but the referee has ZERO interest in that. There’s no way. Anyway, as Rhyno puts the boots to Van Dam and then rolls him into the ring, Kane makes the cover and the referee springs into action. 1…2…Kickout!

“It’s going to take more than reopening old wounds to keep Rob Van Dam down.”

CM Punk is begging for the tag but Kane and Rhyno do the whole thing: cut the ring in half, isolate one person, and frequent tags. They do all of that, operating like a well oiled machine despite teaming up for the first time here. Van Dam almost gets over to tag out, but he gets cut off AGAIN. Kane even tosses RVD over into his own corner, telling him to tag out. He refuses. Punk tags in anyway.

“As unwise as it may have been, I think Van Dam wanted to make the tag on his own terms.”

“Kane wants a piece of his title contender, and he’s about to get it.”

Punk starts off brightly with his repertoire of strikes, but with Van Dam recuperating on the outside, he’s not able to isolate anyone and the numbers game starts to count. He gets a two count from a running knee that wipes Kane out, but only briefly as he sits straight up from the pin, blocks a shining wizard attempt, and launches CM Punk back across the ring. Now it’s CM Punk’s turn to get the beatdown and whilst RVD looks in better shape, neither man is at their best tonight. Punk gets thrown against the ropes and Van Dam tries to tag - misses - and Punk eats a BIG BOOT for two.Van Dam rallies the crowd. Kane tags in Rhyno who hits a couple of bodyslams and then signals that this one is about to be over. He stalks Punk as he gets to one knee and then gets up. He turns around.

“RHYNO MISSED”

The gore attempt failed and Punk threw Rhyno shoulder first into the ringpost. Rhyno falls to the outside clutching his shoulder. Kane steps into the ring to pick up where his partner left off, but this referee isn’t having anyone in this match illegally! He tells him that Rhyno is the legal man. Kane looks like he’s about to level Mickie Henson but he relents and drops to the outside where Van Dam has just hit a barricade-assisted springboard side kick. Kane cuts off RVD’s attempt to throw Rhyno back into the ring, and then he spots the Singapore cane. He grabs it. Once again the referee interjects, rushing to the outside to snatch the cane away from the big red machine. The ref doesn’t win that tussle, but it does buy Van Dam a few seconds to hit the apron and come crashing down onto Kane with a somersault senton. The referee falls to the side - UNHARMED - as Kane clutches his face having taken the full weight of RVD.

Punk slides out now to check on Van Dam who gives him the thumbs up. He grabs Rhyno and tosses him back into the ring, but the Man Beast isn’t as wounded as perhaps Punk thought. Punk gets back in straight into a GORE! GORE! GORE! Rhyno can’t make the cover right away but the impact is enough to alert the referee who gets back into the ring too. Rhyno makes the cover and hooks the leg.

1…

2…

KICKOUT!

“CM Punk kicked out of the Gore!!”

Rhyno brushes his hair out of his face and looks enraged. He grunts and growls and slams the mat and gets into position once again. Waiting for Punk to stand before taking him out. Outside the ring Van Dam is up to his feet but Kane goozles him! Van Dam tries to kick himself free and break the hold but Kane isn’t letting go. Every hit seems to make less and less impact. Kane drags him towards the announce table.

“Oh no.”

“CHOKESLAM THROUGH THE TABLE. OH MY GOD.”

“CM Punk is up, Joe.”

“GORE! GORE! GORE!”

Rhyno makes the cover.

1…

2…

3…
Winners: Kane & Rhyno

As the bell rings for the end of the match, Armando Estrada comes out and grabs a microphone. The crowd were already unhappy and the sight of his white suit, panama hat, and smug face are enough to send them over the edge. He says that here lie your ECW heroes. Tommy Dreamer was broken. Rob Van Dam lies there, broken. And at Backlash, Kane will break CM Punk and that will be the end of this little rebellion. He says that the end is near, he can feel it, and all that will remain will be the blackened and charred title that Estrada will keep as a memento for the man who killed ECW. Ha-ha! The show goes off the air.

Results:
  1. The Miz w/ John Morrison def. Tony Mamaluke [07:01]​
  2. Leroy Kincaid def. Colin Delaney [03:26]​
  3. Kofi Kingston def. Shelton Benjamin [08:10]​
  4. Kane & Rhyno def. CM Punk & Rob Van Dam [12:24]​

DakotaNorth

Reaction score

Friday Night Smackdown - April 18, 2008

The opening credits hit as Michael Cole welcomes us to another edition of Friday Night Smackdown, but tonight he is joined by a new partner at the announce booth. He asks everyone to welcome a man that needs no formal introduction, Mick Foley! Cars crash and out he comes to a favourable reception, probably mostly down to his t-shirt that reads “Vintage Foley!” next to an announcer caricature of himself. He presents Cole with a Cole-themed version. Cole says it wouldn’t quite look right over the suit. “Maybe next week, Michael.” “Is this not a one time gig?”

“Anyway, it’s great to have you with me Mick.”

“Anyone but the Coach, right?”

“Exactly. Well, let’s get you and everyone else at home up to speed with recent events.”

“Michael, may I? Thanks. After a remarkable recovery from injury, Matt Hardy achieved his greatest singles victory of his career when he captured the United States Title from MVP. A successful title defence last week, again against MVP, moves Matt one step closer to a Backlash showdown, putting his newly won US Title on the line against former ECW Heavyweight Champion, Chavo Guerrero.”

“Mick, we’ve got a video package for all of that.”

“ALSO. Who is that woman who keeps attacking Victoria? We know they have history but she’s so far kept the reason a secret...”

“Mick…”

“BATISTA made his return to Smackdown last week, and tonight he will return to in-ring competition when he faces off against Festus. MVP will look to get his mojo back facing Kenny Dykstra. And finally, the UK-born duo of Drew McIntyre and Wade Barrett, two thirds of The Fraternity, will make their Smackdown debut against Deuce and Domino - who may or may not be accompanied by Cherry after their recent internal conflict spilled over in the ring.”

“...”

“Did I get it all Michael?”

“Pretty much, except for THE MAIN EVENT.”

“Ah…close though.”

“Since we’ve done the rest, I guess we can skip the video package this week. In our main event we have a massive eight man tag team match. La Familia have been fighting battles on too many fronts lately according to our General Manager Vickie Guerrero, and tonight they look to get it all done in one fell swoop. They’ve also enlisted Miz and John Morrison to their cause with the injuries to Hawkins and Ryder at the hands of The Undertaker. Miz and Morrison will team with Edge and Chavo to take on The Undertaker, Matt Hardy, Hardy’s former protege Shannon Moore, and Moore’s cowboy brethren, Jimmy Wang Yang.”

“Experience is absolutely on La Familia’s side with several time champions in that team, but The Undertaker has proven to be an obstacle that Edge has failed to overcome. Can he do it in eight man action? We’ll find out later tonight.”

“Thanks Mick. But first, we’ve got one of the most exciting young stars in sports-entertainment today in Evan Bourne. He and his agent Michelle McCool will be out next as he faces a real mismatch, and potential momentum killer, in Chuck Palumbo.”

‘Shooting Star’ Evan Bourne w/ Michelle McCool vs. Chuck Palumbo

“McCool Runnings” hits on the PA and Evan Bourne makes his way to the ring accompanied by his talent agent Michelle McCool. She grabs a microphone.

“Listen up. If you’ve been paying attention you’ll have witnessed the dawn of a new era on Smackdown these past few weeks. My client, Evan Bourne, has shown that his world-class athleticism and raw natural talent is why he’s called the Shooting Star. For far too long this business has adhered to outdated norms and conventions, believing its own hype that a landscape dominated by muscle-bound giants and overpaid addicts was good for business. Tonight, that changes. Tonight, Evan Bourne steps into the ring to defy expectations, defy gravity, and defy those who would try to hold us down. If you thought this was a flash in the pan, well, I’m sorry, the revolution has begun.”

Chuck Palumbo is out next. Greaser biker gimmick? Check. Chuck clearly wasn’t listening to Michelle’s promo as he goes through the big man checklist one by one until he settles on a bearhug about ninety seconds into the match. Evan responds with a series of sharp elbows to the bridge of the nose, forcing Chuck to break the hold, and almost decapitates Bourne with a LARIAT~! He goes straight back to the bearhug, grinding Bourne down, taunting him and asking him to “try and fly around now kid”. Bourne again throws the elbows but with much less impact than before but it’s enough to cause Palumbo to loosen his grip. Bourne hits the ropes, ducks the lariat and hits a SPRINGBOARD ROUNDHOUSE KICK. It doesn’t knock Palumbo down but it rocks him and he’s out on his feet. Evan goes airborne again but Chuck catches him and RIGHT BACK INTO THE BEARHUG!

“As someone known for taking a lot of punishment I’ve got to pay some respect to how Evan Bourne is hanging in there, Cole.”

“He’s very resilient, but the Roundhouse Kick that put away Kenny Dykstra last week didn’t even knock Palumbo down, so has he got the solution for that?”

Bourne can’t break the hold this time with his elbow shots, with the ones that actually land doing very little damage. He tries to pry the hands but can’t reach so he does what anyone would do and he headbutt’s Palumbo. Chuck immediately breaks the hold but he looks more furious than hurt. He charges Bourne who rolls out of the way, Palumbo turns…SUPERKICK!

“He’s rocked him before, can he put him away?”

“What will it take to put Palumbo down?”

ROUNDHOUSE KICK! Palumbo wobbles and then collapses face first.

“That’ll do it!”

Bourne gets up, poses quickly and then lands the Standing Moonsault. He hooks the leg. 1…2…3.
Winner: Evan Bourne

“What a show of resilience by that young man, Mick. Palumbo controlled the pace and dominated the majority of the match, but when it counted, Evan Bourne was able to take advantage of a loss of focus by Chuck and get the win.”

“It doesn’t hurt that when he connects with that roundhouse kick, most people don’t know where they are for a good minute. And then he drives the air out of your lungs with the standing moonsault. It’s very hard to think where you are when your head is rocked and you're gasping for every breath. Great win by ‘Shooting Star’ Evan Bourne.”

The Equaliser

In Vickie Guerrero's rather lavishly decorated General Manager office, La Familia congregates. Edge sits in the corner of the room, relaxed and reclining in his chair. Miz and Morrison hover at the side, wondering why they’re there. Hawkins and Ryder are still in matching neck braces after each of them took a Tombstone two weeks ago. Chavo sits slumped over with his head in his hands. Vickie is seated behind her desk, radiating her brand of authority as she addresses the room.

“Tonight we will make things right.”

Chavo tenses, filled with remorse. He lifts his head up to address the elephant in the room. “Vickie, everyone, I owe you all an apology. Last week, I let you down. I let La Familia down.”

Vickie's gaze softens as she regards Chavo, understanding the tumult of emotions that drove his actions. "Chavo, I understand. You were tasked with a difficult mission, and I should have been more clear about our priorities of ensuring that The Undertaker did not leave last week unscathed."

Chavo's expression reflects a mixture of regret and determination. "I'll make it right, Vickie. I promise."

“We all will,” responds Vickie. “Tonight we have the perfect opportunity to realign our priorities to ensure that both the World Title and the United States Title join La Familia.”

Miz and John Morrison edge uncomfortably at the side of the room as Miz nudges Morrison in the ribs.

“So, like, we’ve been kicking it on ECW making sure that little rebellion doesn’t get out of hand. Estrada owes us big time, but we just don’t get why we’re helping with your Undertaker problem.”

Chavo leans as if to get up. Vickie signals for him to remain seated.

Miz piles in. “Yeah, we’re not afraid of The Undertaker or anything, but we’ve sort of got this thing going with the Italians that we had planned to take care of.”

Vickie studies them both carefully as Chavo looks like he’s ready to burst out of his chair. Hawkins and Ryder look comically shocked. Finally, Vickie smiles and nods appreciatively. “I'm grateful for your assistance, gentlemen. Your dedication has not gone unnoticed. But our Undertaker problem is everyone’s Undertaker problem."

Edge, who had been reclining casually, sits up straight with a confident grin. "Enough dwelling on the past, gentlemen. Tonight, we have an opportunity to strike a decisive blow against our adversaries."

Vickie's expression shifts, a mix of concern and curiosity flickering across her features. "Edge, are you sure about this? We can’t be sure it will even work. I still feel we could use our Plan B."

“That’s Plan B for a reason baby, it’s worth the risk to try it.”

Miz and Morrison look confused and speak in unison. “What is it?”

Edge smirks and crosses the room to a shelf behind Vickie. There sits, in plain view, a silver urn, intricately designed and with a name carved into the base.

“The Undertaker’s urn.”

Edge begins to laugh and soon everyone joins in with him.

“This is the key to our victory tonight, and the key to my reclamation of the World Title at Backlash.”

At that moment the lights in the office flicker and dim and then snap back to full brightness. Hawkins and Ryder look terrified and are holding one another whilst Edge and Chavo look determined. Miz and Morrison just look more confused than ever.

Edge breaks the tension. “Scare tactics. He knows.” He laughs again. “This is going to work.”

Foley and Cole cannot believe it, saying that they thought the urn had been destroyed. Foley recalls how the urn would make Undertaker effectively unstoppable when they had battles together, and Paul Bearer had always been its guardian. Cole reminds us that the last time we saw Paul Bearer was when the Undertaker nearly killed him at the Great American Bash 2004. He barely survived and has never returned.

The Fraternity (Drew McIntyre & Wade Barrett) w/ Dolph Ziggler vs. Deuce ‘n’ Domino w/ Cherry

Back in the ring the debuting Dolph Ziggler is already there with a microphone, flanked by the other two members of the Fraternity. Foley sounds very excited, and mentions McIntyre’s previous success in UK-based wrestling promotions, Barrett’s background as a bare-knuckle fighter, but comes up short on Dolph Ziggler saying he recognises him but not by that name. Cole goes to remind him but then a chant of “Spirit Squad” ripples around the arena and Foley quickly acknowledges it. So, too, does Ziggler.

“I see that some of you remember who I was, but you don’t know who I am. The spirit of Nic Nemeth is dead. Long live Dolph Ziggler, the lone survivor of a hazing ritual that was designed to break all those who participated. And it succeeded - no, Kenny carrying his girlfriend’s purse around doesn’t disprove anything, it only further strengthens my point. He couldn’t handle the pressure. He cracked, and then he crumbled. I, however, proved myself worthy. Where everyone else failed, I succeeded.”

Dolph pauses and gestures to the two chiselled behemoths either side of him.

“Now it’s time to leave the past where it belongs and to move onto a new chapter. Tonight is about the future, and these two destroyers, Drew McIntyre and Wade Barrett, are two of the hardest and most dangerous men from this violent country of yours.”

The home crowd now fully turn on Dolph, and by extension their two ‘hometown lads’ - in wrestling parlance, it’s perfectly acceptable to describe a Scotsman and a Northern Englishman as being hometown heroes to a London crowd, it’s just how it is.

“The three of us will carve a path through the entire roster on Smackdown and there’s not a damn thing you can say or do to stop it.”

Ziggler throws the mic down as Deuce ‘n’ Domino makes their entrance with a rather down-trodden Cherry following them several feet behind them. She keeps her head bowed, a stark contrast to her usual vivacious presence. Domino reminds her that she’s there to help them win, not get herself a modelling contract. He laughs, offers Deuce a high-five which is reluctantly accepted. Cherry looks completely heartbroken.

The bell rings and Deuce starts this one against the Scottish warrior Drew McIntyre. Deuce dodges a couple of hasty attacks from the Scotsman but gets caught with a powerslam on the return and then driven hard into the Fraternity’s corner with a charging tackle. Several shoulder charges in the corner weaken him up and Drew makes the quick tag to Wade. Sharp elbow strikes and a couple of chops light up Deuce and he can’t get enough distance from the opposition corner to begin thinking of making a comeback and tagging out.

Drew and Wade work like a well-oiled machine with Dolph occasionally orchestrating the action from the outside. Contrasted to the fragile nature of Deuce, Domino, and Cherry’s current relationship, they look like they’ve been doing this for years. They make a slight misstep when they make a tag as neither has hold of Deuce and he’s able to break free of their grip and make the tag to Domino. Domino doesn’t look too happy to be getting in, but he does, and it goes pretty much the same as it did for his partner. With his team in control Dolph makes his way around the ring and tries to cheer up Cherry, pulling a solitary rose from his pocket for her. She doesn’t acknowledge him and from the apron Deuce tells him to back off. Dolph asks Cherry why she’s staying with these two losers when she’s clearly miserable. He asks her to join his Fraternity, and says he can show her a good time. This time she looks up and makes eye contact. He smiles. She doesn’t.

SLAP!

“Oh my god Mick, Cherry just slapped the taste out of Dolph Ziggler’s mouth!”

“Take the hint or take the hit, kid.”

Dolph’s eyes widen but before he can do anything, Deuce has launched himself off the apron onto Ziggler and the two begin brawling on the outside.The referee quickly rolls out to break it up, which leaves Domino one on two in the ring.

“I don’t like Domino’s odds here Michael.”

Barrett charges him first and nails him with a running forearm whilst Drew charges him from the other direction with a running big boot. Barrett hits first, rocks him. McIntyre follows up and Domino crumples to the canvas. McIntyre makes the cover and, having broken up the scuffle on the outside (mostly due to Dolph fleeing the scene once the referee had detached him from his attacker) the referee slides back in. 1…2…3. The Fraternity get a victory in their first match, thanks in part to Cherry and Dolph’s outside interaction leaving Domino all alone in the ring.
Winners: The Fraternity (Wade Barrett & Drew McIntyre) w/ Dolph Ziggler

“A dominant debut, Cole. These two look like the real deal and with Dolph Ziggler’s SPIRIT, ha ha… sorry, with Ziggler masterminding the operation, they’re destined for success.”

“Absolutely. Whilst Deuce and Domino look to be really struggling to resolve the internal conflict that has plagued them for several weeks now.”

I’m Not Obsessed With You. You’re Obsessed With Me!

Next we head backstage to Eve Torres who is standing poised with a microphone in hand, ready to speak with Ranjin Singh on the recent developments between his client, the Great Khali, and the Big Show. A brief video package shows their brawl a week ago on ECW during a fatal four way match which Big Show left to fight Khali. We then see a clip of Big Show’s promo from three days ago on ECW, where he challenged the ‘Obsessed’ Khali to a match at Backlash.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I'm here with Ranjin Singh, manager of The Great Khali. Ranjin, there's been a lot of animosity between your client and the Big Show. As we saw there, three days ago Big Show challenged your client to a match. He says Khali is obsessed with him. What can you tell us?”

Ranjin adjusts his tie and clears his throat before taking the microphone. “Thank you Eve, firstly can I say that you look beautiful. Truly. It’s a shame you cannot think for yourself. My client, obsessed? No no. Eve, you are mistaken. The Big Show, he’s obsessed! My client, the Great Khali, wanted nothing more than a friendly contest between two of the biggest athletes in this industry. An arm-wrestling contest. But what does the Big Show do? He disrespects my client. He attacks him. And do you know why he does this?”

Eve goes to speak but Singh hushes her and pulls the microphone back.

“He does this because he knows that whilst he once was the biggest and the baddest wrestler in the WWE, those days are over. The Great Khali is bigger and badder and more effective than that second-rate gandu has ever been. Due to Big Show’s disrespect I hereby renounce the friendly wager. That time has passed. Eve, the blade cannot be sheathed until it has spilled blood, and come Backlash, that’s exactly what will happen. Big Show, you lay down a challenge for the Great Khali?”

Singh laughs and then looks to his left. The camera pans slowly over and then up as the gigantic frame of the Great Khali fills the shot. Khali stares into the camera, wild-eyed with a fierce determination.

“KHALI. ACCEPT!”

The feed cuts and we head back to ringside to Michael Cole and Mick Foley.

“Well there’s a rivalry that will see its conclusion at Backlash, which is now shaping up to be one hell of a card, Mick.”

“It sure is Cole. Big Show will battle against the even bigger Great Khali, Undertaker will defend his World title against Edge - and if that urn does what Edge thinks it will, then it may simply be a matter of time before Edge reclaims the belt. I still want to know where he got the urn from!”

“You and I both, Mick. We also know that Matt Hardy will defend his United States title against Chavo Guerrero, both of whom will become reacquainted in tonight’s main event.”

“Kane defends the ECW Heavyweight Title against CM Punk, John Cena will defend the WWE Heavyweight Title against either Triple H or Chris Jericho - they face off in the King of the Ring finals this coming monday on RAW. It’s really building up to be quite the follow-up to a massive WrestleMania.”

“And we’ve only got nine days to go! I can’t wait!”

[Commercial Break]

Batista vs. Festus w/ Jesse

As we return from the break, Festus and Jesse are already in the ring. Batista gets the full entrance with pyro and smoke, so you know who the big star is here. Festus stands still in his corner, unaffected by anything and everything around him. Batista, on the other hand, paces confidently in his corner, his gaze locked on his opponent.

DING! DING! DING!

In an instant, Festus springs into action, his eyes widening as he charges toward Batista with reckless abandon. Batista is momentarily taken aback by the sudden burst of energy from his opponent with a couple of the wild swings landing. He staggers back and blocks as best he can, trying to regain his composure. Festus doesn’t really tire, but Batista is able to take most of the impact with his arms, firing back with a few low body shots when an opening presents itself. Festus is still unaffected in his approach, but he begins to slow and tire, and now Batista senses the opportunity to dictate the direction of this match.

A reversal from a Festus clothesline attempt results in a spinebuster. Festus is wounded but he gets right back up. ANOTHER Spinebuster.

“I think Batista took Festus’ reaction personally.”

Festus gets up to one knee again, so Batista measures him and waits for him to stand. A third spinebuster! Batista makes the cover. 1…2…KICKOUT!

Batista smiles and gets up. Festus slowly stirs but is visibly struggling now to get himself even up to one knee. Batista gives the crowd the thumbs up. Festus gets up to a knee. Thumbs down.

“We know what’s coming next!”

Festus gets up. Staggering. Batista Bomb! Batista makes the cover and hooks the leg. 1...2…3.

Winner: Batista

“Batista makes short work of Festus here, but Festus took some real punishment before finally being unable to get up after the Batista Bomb.”

Jesse rushes into the ring after the bell goes, concern etched on his face as he checks on his fallen brother. But before he can offer any assistance, Batista turns his attention toward him, a sinister grin crossing his face. Without warning, Batista grabs Jesse and hoists him up onto his shoulders, delivering a devastating Batista Bomb to the helpless Jesse.

“What the…!”

“Absolutely uncalled for, Batista just attacked Jesse because he was checking on his brother. An impressive win, but there’s no need for that.”

The crowd watches in stunned silence as Batista stands tall in the centre of the ring, his dominance unquestionable. With a look of satisfaction, he exits the ring, leaving the crowd to wonder why Batista felt the need to leave both Festus and Jesse in such a state.

You Can Tell Me

In the backstage area, Kenny Dykstra approaches Victoria, a sense of concern etched on his face. Victoria is still nursing her neck.

Kenny: "Victoria, how are you holding up? Look, about last week... that woman. Who the hell is she?"

Victoria, engrossed with something in her bag, looks up briefly, her expression conveying annoyance. "Don't worry about her, Kenny. She's not going to be a problem anymore."

Kenny's worry doesn't seem to dissipate as he continues to press the issue. "But what if she..."

Victoria interrupts him, her tone firm and commanding. "No 'what ifs,' Kenny. Focus on tonight. You've got a big opportunity against MVP. Win this match, and you'll be one step closer to the Intercontinental title. Anything else is a distraction."

Acknowledging her words, Kenny nods, though still uneasy about the situation. "Alright, fine, we’ll do things your way.” He smiles and begins to walk off, expecting Victoria to follow. When she doesn’t he spins around, eyebrows raised. “You coming?"

Victoria, seemingly lost in her thoughts, absent-mindedly responds. "Yeah, course."

As they begin to walk towards the arena, Kenny notices Victoria's hesitancy. "You seem distracted. This thing that’s going on, whatever it is, you can tell me you know. You can trust me."

Victoria hesitates momentarily, her mind elsewhere. "I'm fine, just... thinking."

Kenny stops in his tracks, turning to Victoria with a serious look on his face.: "Vic, I'll ask you one last time and then I’ll drop it. Who was that woman last week?"

Victoria lets out a sigh, clearly frustrated by the persistence of the issue. "She's just a girl who couldn't cut it, Kenny. And now she blames me for her failures."

Kenny nods, deciding to push the issue aside for now. "Alright, thank you.”

“Now can we focus on the match?” Victoria forces a smile and Kenny returns it.

“Whatever you say sweetheart.”

—-

Path to Redemption

In the dimly lit backstage area, MVP stands alone, his gaze fixed on the camera with a mix of determination and introspection.

“These last seven days have felt like an eternity. Sure, my WrestleMania didn’t go so well, but you can always cash in that rematch clause and win it right back. Except…I didn’t.” He sighs, pauses, takes a sip of water and delicately places it back down. “These last seven days I’ve done a lot of thinking. A lot of reflecting on my past, the choices I’ve made, and the roads I have walked that have brought me to right here, right now. Yet, for all of eternity to think about my mistakes, seven days is only long enough to uncover one thing…I am lost. Lost in the inevitable fallout of championship pursuits and accolade accumulation. When you no longer have the gold, what are you?

“I’ve asked myself that question again and again. What am I when I’m not a champion? What am I if I’m not the best? I’m coming up short on answers except one. Nothing. I thought that I was nothing before I won the US title last year, and it felt like everything once I had it. Now, without it, I feel like I'm back to square one. But maybe that's not such a bad thing. Maybe I need to rediscover who Montel Vontavious Porter truly is, not just the persona wrapped up in championships and glory. Maybe I need to redefine what success means to me.

“So, here I am, standing before you all, humbled by my recent experiences, but also fueled by a newfound determination. I may not have all the answers yet, but I promise you this: I will figure it out. I will rise from the ashes of defeat, stronger, wiser, and more resilient than ever before. The US Title, it was the first step on my journey, and mark my words, I will reclaim it. But it's about more than just championships now. It's about rebuilding myself, redefining my purpose, and chasing my dreams with unwavering passion and dedication. It starts tonight. Kenny Dykstra, you're the first step on my path to redemption. You may see me as a stepping stone, but I see you as an opportunity to prove to myself and to the world that MVP is not defined by titles, but by the heart, the determination, and the resilience that beats within me.

So, Kenny, get ready, because tonight, you're not just facing a world class athlete, you're facing a man on a mission. And trust me when I say this, I may be lost right now, but I'm about to find my way back to the top."

[Commercial Break]

Kenny Dykstra w/ Victoria vs. Montel Vontavious Porter

The match begins with both MVP and Kenny Dykstra showcasing their technical prowess, each trying to outmanoeuvre the other. MVP gains the early advantage with his superior experience and ring awareness, out-wrestling Dykstra with precision and skill as the two men engage in a series of chain-wrestling exchanges. MVP coming out on top each time. Kenny tries to match the impact of MVP's offence, but he finds himself coming up short and fighting out of defensive positions more often than not.

“Mick, MVP spoke before the match about how he needs to find his way back to the top. That he defined himself solely on his success and now he feels empty.”

“I know how he feels Cole, I spent most of my early years trying to do everything to get the fans to like me and when it worked out, great, I had a nice day, but when they were against me I really struggled to understand who I was without the crowd cheering me on. It took me to some dark places Michael, and I can tell you now that MVP will encounter a lot of obstacles, but he’ll be all the better for facing them.”

As the match progresses, MVP's early advantage is nullified when Victoria, sensing an opportunity to tip the scales in Kenny's favour, subtly interferes. The referee doesn’t notice as she grabs MVP’s ankle as he hits the ropes, causing him to turn around and get blindsided by Dykstra. The referee turned to Victoria inquisitively, but she just shrugs nonchalantly. Kenny seizes the opportunity and takes control of the match.

“It’s all about those narrow margins, Michael. How often do we say that you’ve got to stay focussed inside the ring.”

With MVP momentarily stunned, Kenny capitalises on the opening, unleashing a barrage of relentless offence against his opponent. He targets MVP’s leg and chops him down anytime he tries to build up a head of steam or get back any kind of momentum. Dykstra relentlessly assaults the leg with strikes and a single leg grapevine. MVP gets to the ropes but is clearly hurting. Kenny, pumped up now by the prospect of victory, heads up north for his signature Guillotine Legdrop, looking to put MVP away for good. He hits it! He makes the cover.

1…

2…

Kickout!

MVP summons his resilience and manages to kick out just before the referee's hand hits the canvas for the three-count, much to the disbelief of Kenny and Victoria. Dykstra decides enough is enough, he’s putting the exclamation mark on things and he heads up to the top turnbuckle once again. He waits for MVP to crawl to his front, using his elbows to prop himself up and try to get up to one knee. Kenny waits. Almost in position. MVP struggles up and Kenny leaps again, but this time he gets nothing but canvas! MVP got out of the way! MVP is still hurt and Kenny is already getting back up. MVP hits the ropes…

“Scissors Kick!!”

MVP took a page out of Booker T’s playbook there. He makes the cover. 1…2…Kickout by Dykstra! He’s not going down without a fight. Both men stagger back up to their feet and begin trading chops and forearms. MVP dodges and rolls him up with a school boy. He grabs the tights instinctively.

1…

2…

He lets go.

“He doesn’t want to win like that, Mick!”

MVP shakes his head and slaps himself. Hard. Dykstra, briefly distracted by telling the referee how MVP had his tights, doesn’t even see it coming.

“PLAYERS BOOT!’

MVP connects hard and Dykstra collapses to the mat. Victoria tries to distract the referee but it's all in vain as MVP makes the cover and the referee makes the three count.
Winner: MVP

“Victoria might make it out of tonight without being laid out, but the same cannot be said for her boyfriend.”

“Dykstra had a chance, but those fine margins you mentioned before…”

“Narrow margins..”

“Whatever..they came into play for MVP here tonight. He resisted his instincts to try and win by any means necessary, and by doing the right thing, he got the win with that brutal running kick of his.”

“Dykstra might be off solids for a couple of days after that.”

Play It Smart…Play It Right

Miz and Morrison are backstage, going through their pre-match warm-up routine. Morrison is shining his tag title belt whilst Miz is doing those vital final checks in a mirror.

"You know, Morrison, being on Vickie's good side is like dancing with the devil. One wrong step and you're taking a tombstone. I don’t wanna take a tombstone, John."

Morrison chuckles, shaking his head. "Yeah, but being on her bad side ain't no cakewalk either. It's like getting speared by a freight train. Either way, you're ending up flat on your back."

Miz nods in agreement. "True that, bro. Not to mention we’ve still got those Italian goons to deal with.”

“Probably have to handle that on ECW. AGAIN. I’m sick of going there. Just when I think I’ve got out…” Morrison smirks. “...they pull me back in!”

“Ha ha, bro, listen, we’ll show up next tuesday, handle the unFashionable Bureau of Idiots no problemo…” Miz looks far too pleased with himself. “...and then we’ll never step foot on that backwater show again. How does that sound?”

“It sounds awesome, Miz, but it’s not the FBI I’m concerned about. It’s The Undertaker. It’s being dragged into Edge and Vickie’s schemes. I know Vickie says she’ll reward us, but we’re the tag team champions, unless she’s going to bump our pay, what exactly is worth the risk?”

Miz scratches his chin. “I hadn’t given it much thought, but you’re right. We’ll have to talk to her after the match, get a raise sorted before we get dragged in any deeper.”

“Unless that’s what she wants us to do, and then we’re on the payroll Miz. Then we’re hired goons rather than the two most handsome, charming, debonair forward-thinkers in the company, free to pursue our own hopes and dreams.”

“Snap out of it John, we’ve got a match to plan for. Whatever Vickie’s machinations are can come later!

“Hmmm, this situation has got me feeling all kinds of uncomfortable. Even this velvet suit isn’t doing much to help.”

“Damn. You look dope though.”

“And it’s totally practical.”

“Totally.”

“And…” Morrison pauses to check his surroundings. “It was a bargain!”

Miz looks shocked and begs him to quieten down. “Jesus John, if there’s anything we need to put on the no-no list, it’s frankly disturbing admissions like THAT.” Miz shakes himself as if suddenly overcome by a cold breeze. “Now, about our strategy for tonight. We leave Edge and his urn to deal with The Undertaker. Chavo’s got this whole inferiority complex thing going on with Vickie so he’ll be desperate to impress her by taking out Matt Hardy. That just leaves Moore and Yang.”

“I like that plan.”

“I thought you might. I’ll take Moore if you’ve got Yang?”

Morrison shoots him a puzzled look. Miz adds, hastily. “Or you can have Yang? I’m not picky.”

Morrison laughs. “It’s not that, it’s the urn. I was just wondering about it. Do you think it’s legit?”

“I think Edge thinks so, but who knows? One thing's for sure, we don't have it. And if Taker comes looking for it, we don't wanna be caught in the crossfire."

Miz grimaces. "Good point. Edge might be safe, but that's no guarantee for us. No unnecessary risks. We just gotta play it smart, Morrison, and play it right. "

Morrison nods, his expression serious now. "Agreed. Play it smart.”

“...and play it right.”

They do a cool guy handshake and head towards the ring.

The Undertaker, Matt Hardy, Shannon Moore & Jimmy Wang Yang vs. Edge, Chavo Guerrero, The Miz, & John Morrison w/ Vickie Guerrero

Vickie is out first, wheeled by assistant GM Teddy Long, as they lead La Familia to the ring. Edge and Chavo are flanked by Hawkins and Ryder, although once again they’re cumbersome due to the neck braces. Miz and Morrison make their usual separate entrances and hang out on the outside of the ring as the good guys make their entrances. Hardy gets in Chavo’s face but the referee separates them as we await the entrance of the Undertaker.

GONG!

As the ominous gong tolls throughout the arena, the lights dim, and the crowd erupts into cheers in anticipation of the arrival of the deadman. The Undertaker emerges, his presence commanding attention as he strides purposefully towards the ring. Slowly. Methodically. As Undertaker approaches the ring, Edge produces the urn, holding it aloft prominently like a symbol of hope. Or destruction. The Deadman's gaze fixates on the urn, flickering over it as his eyes narrow with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension. Perhaps even he doesn’t know what will happen next. With each step, the tension in the arena mounts. He stops for a moment, a desperately long moment before continuing into the ring.

Edge looks around wondering what to do now. He figured it would just work right away. Hold the urn up and you stop the deadman. It had worked, for a brief moment. Something happened, it just wasn’t enough. Edge locks eyes with Vickie who tells him to try it again, so he does. Undertaker is on the apron and climbing into the ring now as Edge lifts the urn up into the air once more. Undertaker’s gaze once again shifts to the urn and then back to Edge. There's a momentary pause, a silent exchange of defiance and determination. Edge looks around, seeking reassurance, and Vickie urges him on, her voice dripping with anticipation.

With a deep breath, Edge holds the urn aloft a third time, this time right in front of Undertaker as the Phenom stares him down in the ring. The atmosphere crackles with anticipation as all eyes are fixed on the confrontation unfolding before them. All the other participants of the match, the referee’s, the announcers, everyone is waiting on the edge of their seats to see what happens. Undertaker's reaction is visceral; he winces, his resolve momentarily faltering as he stares at the urn with a mixture of reverence and uncertainty. Then, without warning, he drops to one knee, raising a hand towards the sacred relic in his iconic pose.

Edge's smile widens, his confidence bolstered by the Deadman's reaction. Seizing the moment, he commands Undertaker to rise, and the Deadman obeys, his movements deliberate and controlled. Foley is losing his mind now on commentary having been snapped out of whatever trance the arena had been under.

“Oh my god, Edge did it. He has control of the Undertaker!”

Moore, Yang, and Hardy watch in horror as the events unfold before them, helpless against the supernatural forces at play. La Familia are just as confused. Temporarily happy, sure, but completely confused. Only Edge and Vickie look triumphant, having delivered on exactly what they said they would. Edge’s grin turns into a laugh and La Familia (and Miz and Morrison) join in with him. Taker’s partner’s look to one another wondering what to do. They needn’t wait very long as Edge decides he isn't satisfied with mere obedience; he craves control, domination. With a gesture, he commands Undertaker to unleash his wrath upon Shannon Moore. Horror etched on his face, Moore looks to Undertaker, pleading for mercy that never comes. With a swift brutality, the Deadman delivers a bone-crushing chokeslam, leaving Moore writhing in agony on the mat. Yang's eyes widen as he looks at his fallen partner, barely even registering when Edge directs the Undertaker’s attention his way. He realises far too late that he's next in line and before he can react, Undertaker has him by the throat. Matt Hardy rushes to his aid, attempting to thwart the Deadman's advance. But his efforts are in vain as Undertaker swats him aside like a nuisance, sending Hardy tumbling out of the ring.

Undertaker looks back at Yang, and he delivers another devastating chokeslam, leaving Yang motionless on the canvas. Edge directs Miz and Morrison to retrieve Hardy and toss him back into the ring, ensuring he doesn’t get to miss out on all the fun they’re having. As Hardy struggles to regain his bearings, Undertaker stands ominously in the centre of the ring, his presence once a signal of justice and rightful vengeance, now a harbinger of chaos and destruction. Edge looks sinister with a cheshire cat grin, as he commands Undertaker to deliver a tombstone piledriver to Matt Hardy. The resilient Hardy fights back, resisting with all his might, but against the supernatural might of the Deadman, his efforts are futile. Undertaker drops Matt Hardy with a Tombstone before Miz, Morrison, and Chavo dispose of the bodies outside the ring.

Edge now turns to the Undertaker, the urn still held aloft. Taker meets his gaze. Edge winks, grabs a microphone from Chavo and begins to speak.

“I like our new toy, I think this will be a lot of fun. Now, how does it work? Deadman be gone!? Hit the road Jack?..”

The lights flicker ominously, Undertaker’s eyes roll back in his head, and then the arena is plunged into darkness. When they come back on the Undertaker has vanished into the darkness, leaving behind a very happy La Familia. Edge stands tall in the ring, his newfound power evident for all to see as he shows the lengths to which he will go to reclaim the World Heavyweight Championship at Backlash.

“Listen up, all of you. At Backlash I am going to make the Undertaker hand over the World Heavyweight title to me, laying it at my feet. Once he’s done that, I will make you all watch as I command the Undertaker to lay down in the ring as I pin him and the referee counts one..two…three. The announcer will declare to the world that the NEW, WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION IS, ONCE AGAIN, ME - EDGE!”

The broadcast ends with a stunned commentary team left to ponder the implications of Edge's newfound control over the Deadman and what this might mean for Smackdown next week!

1. Evan Bourne w/ Michelle McCool def. Chuck Palumbo [6:51]​
  2. The Fraternity (Wade Barrett & Drew McIntyre) w/ Dolph Ziggler def. Deuce ‘n’ Domino w/ Cherry [09:32]​
  3. Batista def. Festus [03:16]​
  4. MVP def. Kenny Dykstra w/ Victoria [12:43]​
  5. Undertaker, Matt Hardy, Shannon Moore, and Jimmy Wang Yang vs. Edge, Chavo Guerrero, the Miz, and John Morrison ended in a NO CONTEST, being thrown out before it even began.​