WSW: World Series Wrestling

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

deltablues

Reaction score
Ignition: Episode 196
ICG_word_gradient-768x138.png
Promotion: World Series Wrestling​
Date: June 20, 2019​
City: Cleveland, OH​
Venue: Wolstein Center​
Attendance: 5,350​

The 6/20 Ignition opened with pyro exploding inside the Wolstein Center in Cleveland, Ohio. The commentary trio of Mauro Ranallo, Chael Sonnen, and Paige Knight welcomed the audience to the show, and immediately we got set for the first match of the evening.

Match One: Will Ospreay vs. Dragon Lee

The first match of Ignition was a singles match between Will Ospreay and Dragon Lee. Over the past several months, Ospreay and Dragon Lee went back and forth in singles matches. Dragon Lee defeated Ospreay in his debut match in WSW, with Ospreay taking the second meeting at Undisputed. This was the rubber match.

Ospreay received a massive ovation from the Cleveland crowd, and he came to the ring with determination in his eyes. On commentary, Chael Sonnen noted:

Will Ospreay wanted this match, he challenged for it. He has vowed to make 2019 the Year of Ospreay, but think about it: Dragon Lee, RUSH, and Jon Moxley...all three of these men have crossed paths with Ospreay in the past few weeks. It makes you wonder, is it even possible for Will to be 100% focused on the task at hand tonight?!
Dragon Lee made his entrance, accompanied by RUSH. For weeks, RUSH had been watching his younger brother’s matches from afar – going so far as to attack Will Ospreay. Ospreay urged Dragon Lee in the lead-up to the match to fight him one-on-one. RUSH came to the top of the stage and smirked at Ospreay before fist-bumping Dragon Lee. Lee completed his walk to the ring alone.

Unlike their previous matches, there was no handshake as the bell sounded. Instead, both men cautiously circled each other, knowing what was at stake. A methodical grappling sequence ensued – both men countering each other and jockeying for position. On commentary, Paige Knight noted that this was a slower pace than we had seen before because both men knew that one false move could mark the end.

Dragon Lee attempted a headscissors, but Will Ospreay cartwheeled out of it. Ospreay then tried a headscissors, only for Dragon Lee to cartwheel out.

The pace quickened, as both men ran the ropes – ducking clotheslines and leapfrogging one another. Ospreay tried to catch Dragon Lee with the Oscutter, but Lee blocked and tried Desnucadora – Ospreay escaped. Both men hit simultaneous dropkicks and kipped to their feet. The stalemate didn’t last long, as Dragon Lee crushed Ospreay with a one-legged dropkick!

Dragon Lee went to work on Ospreay, hitting strikes, wrapping his arm around the top rope, and manipulating the joints.

Lee shot Ospreay into the corner, but he ran into a boot and an enziguri. Ospreay hit a 619 over-the-top rope that sent Lee to the floor. Ospreay then connected on a HIGH slingshot plancha to the floor, and the Wolstein Center began to sing “OS-PREAY, OS-PREAY, OS-PREAY" to the tune of “Ole, Ole, Ole.”

On the floor, Ospreay threw nasty chops before sending Dragon Lee back inside and covering for barely a 1 count. Ospreay hit a hard back elbow that yielded yet another 1 count. Ospreay showcased his catch-as-catch-can background, tying Dragon Lee up on the canvas with an arm trap surfboard submission – pulling new moves out of his arsenal in this rubber match.

Ospreay drove Lee into the corner with more knife-edge chops. With his chest turning red, Lee tried to fire up with forearms, but Ospreay cut him off with a spinning heel kick to the gut. Lee reversed a whip into the corner, and Ospreay elevated himself over the ropes to the apron. Ospreay tried for Pip, Pip, Cheerio, but Dragon Lee blocked and countered with an STO. Mauro Ranallo noted the familiarity between these two opponents and how much time both had spent scouting one another.

Dragon Lee showed off his aggression, hitting piston-like forearms that drove Ospreay down in the corner. Dragon Lee called for the Bull’s Horns—an homage to his brother RUSH—but Ospreay exploded out the corner and hit a lariat on Dragon Lee. Ospreay hit a flurry of kicks to drive Lee down in the corner...Ospreay tried for the running double knees, but Lee moved and Ospreay crashed into the turnbuckles! Showing his ridiculous speed, Dragon Lee crushed Ospreay with running double knees of his own, followed by a vertical suplex for a 2 count.

Dragon Lee shot Ospreay into the ropes, but Ospreay bounced back with a handspring corkscrew kick that connected flush! From the apron, Ospreay fired up the fans and connected with Pip, Pip, Cheerio for a 2 count!

Dragon Lee rolled to the floor, and Ospreay looked to fly....he went for the Sasuke Special, but Dragon Lee moved...but Ospreay landed on his feet on the floor! The spectacle of athleticism was short-lived, as Dragon Lee nearly beheaded Ospreay though with a pump knee strike!

Dragon Lee sat Will Ospreay on the guardrail. He got back into the ring and flew like a torpedo.......

TOPE SUICIDA!

Like a missile, Dragon Lee nailed Ospreay, and both men went flying into the third row of the Wolstein Center!

“Holy Shit” chants sounded out!

As the referee went through the 20 count, Dragon Lee threw Ospreay over the guardrail and back into the ring at the count of 13.

Dragon Lee tried a deadlift German Suplex. Ospreay tried to block with a back elbow; however, Dragon Lee trapped the arms and hit a bridging straight-jacket German for a 2 count!

Dragon Lee hung Ospreay in the tree of woe, and he climbed to the top. As Lee reached the top turnbuckle, Ospreay sat up, and both men went back and forth with hard forearms. Dragon Lee hit a headbutt that knocked Ospeay back into the tree of woe.... he tried for a draping diving double foot stomp...

But Ospreay hit a desperation upkick at the last second to knock Dragon Lee off the top to the floor. Ospreay then climbed to the top and flew...

Corkscrew Moonsault to the floor!

Ospreay showcased his amazing ariel ability, effortlessly flying and connecting with his target. Quickly back inside, Ospreay hit an inverted Bloody Sunday DDT for a near fall!

Ospreay’s eyes were full of passion...he felt the energy of the crowd...

Ospreay CRUSHED Dragon Lee with a hook kick! Ospreay went for Storm Breaker...

Dragon Lee blocked! Lee tried to widen his base, so Ospreay hit rapid-fire kicks to the sternum. He popped Lee repeatedly with kicks. Ospreay went for Storm Breaker again....

Dragon Lee countered with a Satellite DDT!

Dragon Lee maintained control of Ospreay’s head. He rolled through...

Dragon Lee went for the Brainbust......NO....Ospreay countered with a Stundog Millionaire!

Both men were down, and the crowd gave both men a standing ovation. “Both These Guys” echoed off the walls of the Wolstein Center!

Ospreay and Dragon Lee met each other on their knees in the center of the ring. Face to face, with the crowd whipped into a frenzy, they teed off on each other with back-and-forth forearms. The test of the heart, led to both men slowly rising to their feet. The forearms were vicious. Ospreay fired up and roared, but he was crumbled by a heavy forearm shot from Dragon Lee. Lee hit the ropes but ran directly into another hook kick from Ospreay!

What followed was an insane sequence of agility. Ospreay charged at Dragon Lee; however, Lee moved and went for a rebound German Suplex...Ospreay flipped over and landed on his feet! Ospreay attempted a dropkick, but Dragon Lee blocked and flipped Ospreay over...he landed on his feet yet again! Dragon Lee connected on a pump knee strike followed by a poision rana! Dragon Lee hit the ropes, but Ospreay caught him with a standing Spanish Fly!

Both men were down again!

The crowd went crazy as Ospreay crawled to the apron and climbed to the top rope...Dragon Lee followed and cut Ospreay off with a superkick! Dragon Lee attempted his running hurricanrana over the ropes, but Ospreay caught him...

AND POWERBOMBED HIM ON THE APRON!

Dragon Lee landed with a thud! Ospreay rolled him back into the ring. He climbed up to the top...

AND NAILED A SHOOTING STAR PRESS!

He covered...but Dragon Lee kicked out at 2.5!

Ospreay didn’t hesitate or argue, he stayed on the attack. He rose to his feet and sized up the fallen Dragon Lee.

Robinson Special connected!

Ospreay felt the energy...passion oozed through his body. He went to end it with the Oscutter.....

Dragon Lee picked him off in midair with a knee strike!

“WSW” chants rang out followed by “This Is Awesome!”

On commentary, Chael Sonnen stated:
We are officially in the deep-water guys as we inch closer and closer to the 20-minute time limit mark. Both men are spilling their guts here in Cleveland. This is about as equal as it gets, but if I’m scoring it on points, I think Ospreay may have the slight advantage.

Ospreay rolled out to the apron, and Dragon Lee slowly rose to his feet in the center of the ring. Lee grabbed Ospreay and pulled him to his feet. Both men were exhausted, and Dragon Lee threw heavy-handed strikes over the ropes. Ospreay followed with a stiff gamenguri!

Ospreay vaulted to the top, but Dragon Lee swept his legs from under him. Ospreay fell into the Tree of Woe.

Dragon Lee HIT THE DRAPING DIVING FOOT STOMP TO THE FLOOR!

Both men were out on the floor. Dragon Lee slowly rolled himself back into the ring as the referee administered the 20-count yet again.

15, 16, 17, 18.......Ospreay was still down!

At 19...Ospreay threw himself back into the ring to avoid the countout!

Dragon Lee immediately drilled a knee strike! Dragon Lee went for Desnucadora...

Ospreay blocked with all his might! He threw anvil elbows to escape the grip of Dragon Lee. He then hit a massive roundhouse kick! With the crowd chanting his name Ospreay roared and went for a Liger Bomb....

But Dragon Lee countered into a Destroyer!

Dragon Lee obliterated Ospreay with a running knee strike!

Will Ospreay kicked out at 2.9!

Dragon Lee couldn’t believe it! The sheer will of Will Ospreay was on full display on Ignition!

Dragon Lee looked to the stage where his brother RUSH watched. RUSH gave the thumbs-down signal....and Dragon Lee nodded. He pulled his knee pad down.....

DRAGON LEE DROVE THE EXPOSED KNEE INTO WILL OSPREAY’S SKULL WITH ANOTHER KNEE STRIKE!

Pulling Ospreay to his feet, Dragon Lee went for Desnucadora....

OSPREAY FLIPPED OUT TO HIS FEET!

HOOK KICK! SUPERKICK TO THE BACK OF THE HEAD! HIDDEN BLADE CONNECTED!

A trifecta of high-impact moves connected for Ospreay. As ring announcer Justin Roberts announced that 30 seconds remained in the match, Ospreay hit an Oscutter off the top rope!

Ospreay hit Storm Breaker!

Ospreay wins!

Will Ospreay (19:50)

The crowd exploded at the finish. These two men saved their best for last...as Ospreay won the rubber match with just 10 seconds remaining! Ospreay’s face was pure emotion as he soaked in the moment and the victory.

Dragon Lee was crestfallen. He struggled to pick himself up off the mat. Ospreay went over to him—he looked at Dragon Lee, the man who had pushed him to the absolute limit over the past 2.5 months. He offered his hand...

But Dragon Lee kicked it away!

Dragon Lee rolled out the ring! The crowd booed as Dragon Lee clutched his head and made his way up the ramp to RUSH.

Ospreay looked confused and shook his head. RUSH met Dragon Lee on the stage and put his arm around his brother – all while staring daggers at Ospreay. Inside the ring, Ospreay called for the microphone. Breathing heavily, Ospreay stood in the ring and said:

Dragon Lee...you don’t want to shake my hand bruv, that’s on you! You are a helluva wrestler mate...watch who you hang around with though bruv. You lie down with dogs you get fleas!

I have promised that 2019 would be the Year of Ospreay, and I keep my promises. I had to take care of Dragon Lee first, now I turn the page...

On July 13 we are going to Toronto. SummerFest...the biggest show in WSW’s history... I want YOU JON MOXLEY! You’re the new predator here, but this is my kingdom! I haven’t forgotten bruv...you dropped me on my skull, and now the bill is coming due. OSPREAY/MOXLEY IN TORONTO!

A video promo aired for SummerFest on July 13, from the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto. Streaming exclusively on Netflix!

As Ignition returned from a commercial break, highlights of Chael Sonnen’s retirement at Bellator 222 in Madison Square Garden aired. The camera panned to the announce table:

Mauro Ranallo: Ladies and gentlemen, this past Saturday night at Madison Square Garden, we saw the end of an era. Our good friend, our broadcast colleague, and the man seated to my left; Chael Sonnen, officially retired from Mixed Martial Arts. Chael, you were and continue to be an innovator. When we look at the growth of MMA over the past 20 years in North America, your personality and passion helped fuel that growth. On behalf of our entire family here in WSW, congratulations on an unbelievable career inside the Octagon.

Chael Sonnen: Mauro, I can’t tell you how much that means. I had a tough life growing up, and I was lucky to discover the sport of MMA when I was 19...it saved my life. I have been a professional fighter for 23 years and have no more bullets left in the chamber. I’ve used up all my toughness. I left every drop of my blood, sweat, and tears inside that cage, and I have no regrets. I’m excited for what’s next, and I leave knowing that MMA is in a far different place than where it was when I discovered the sport in 1997 in a dark, dingy armory in Vancouver, Washington.

Now...that means you are stuck with me. I have PLENTY of energy to call wrestling matches, and I’m not kidding you. The last thought that went through my mind before I left MSG on Saturday night was...'man, I can’t wait to be back here for November Reign and watch our men and women of WSW tear the house down.’

Match Two: Marti Belle vs. Rachael Ellering (w/ Candice LeRae)

The second match of Ignition was a singles match between Marti Belle and Rachael Ellering. The crowd was still buzzing from the Dragon Lee/Will Ospreay match, as Ellering made her way to the ring accompanied by Candice LeRae. Both women were clad in all black. Frustrated with a string of defeats, Candice LeRae had gone dark and recruited Rachael Ellering as her charge. This was Ellering’s first match since joining forces with Candice LeRae.

As the bell sounded, Belle charged into Ellering – throwing chops and kicks. They had no effect. Ellering just absorbed them and flashed a nasty grin. Marti Belle hit the ropes for momentum, but Ellering folded her in half with a wicked lariat!

Ellering grabbed wrist control, lifted Belle to her feet, and then whipped her back down into the canvas face first!

Belle grabbed at her face in pain as Candice LeRae shouted instructions to Ellering. Showcasing her power, Ellering bieled Marti Belle halfway across the ring and followed with a running senton!

Ellering grabbed Belle in a gutwrench and walked around the ring with her. On commentary, Paige Knight marveled at the strength of Rachael Ellering, who finally spiked Belle down with a gutwrench suplex.

On the outside, Candice LeRae wore an evil smile...seemingly knowing she had a monster on her side with untapped potential. Ellering finished Marti Bell with the Bosswoman Slam for the pin and the win!

Rachael Ellering (2:32)

Following the match, Candice LeRae hopped in the ring and gave orders to Rachael Ellering. They were not through. Candice grabbed Belle by the hair and pulled her to her feet – Belle could barely stand. As boos sounded out, LeRae whipped Belle to Ellering who hit another Bosswoman Slam!
LeRae and Ellering stood tall, and Candice shouted:

“This is MY DIVISION!”

Like a lightning bolt, Ivelisse sprinted to the ring with a chair! LeRae and Ellering bailed quickly as Ivelisse slid into the ring swinging the chair like a Louisville Slugger! The bad blood between LeRae and Ivelisse had been brewing for weeks!

LeRae and Ellering high-tailed it up the ramp as Ivelisse spiked the chair into the center of the ring and begged the two to come back and fight! From a safe distance, Candice LeRae smiled and pointed to her head – seemingly outsmarting Ivelisse and avoiding the attack; however, Ivelisse flashed a wicked grin...

The lights went out inside the Wolstein Center...

A video featuring a figure riding a motorcycle down dark streets aired. Through damp Cleveland streets, the motorcycle cut through the night. It finally came to a stop outside the Wolstein Center. The figure looked up at the marquee advertising WSW Ignition and removed the helmet to reveal long, black hair.......slowly, they turned to reveal themselves to the camera.......

It was Mercedes Martinez!

She spoke:

After 19 years...it’s finally time...

As the video ended, the music of Mercedes Martinez hit! The LED video screens lit up with the phrase “OG Badass.” Mercedes Martinez made her entrance!

Candice LeRae and Rachael Ellering couldn’t believe what they were seeing – LeRae looked for a place to run, but there was nowhere to go! LeRae begged off and then tried a sneaky right hand...

But Mercedes Martinez blocked it, and with zero hesitation...she laid out Candice LeRae with a right hook!

LeRae was out cold!

Rachael Ellering and Mercedes Martinez locked horns and started wailing on each other on the stage! A mob scene had broken out on Ignition! The women went at it like two bulls in combat!

Referees and WSW Security sprinted in from the back to separate Martinez and Ellering. Candice lay flat on the stage.

Ivelisse got the microphone:

Night night Candice! You got friends...so do I! Meet the toughest bitch I know...Mercedes Martinez! The OG Badass! One call from me, one shot from her, and you’re sleeping! You want to fight puta...let’s fight!

The crowd got behind the passion of Ivelisse’s words, as the referees and security struggled to keep Rachael Ellering and Mercedes Martinez apart. Ivelisse had made good on her promise, she had evened up the numbers game and brought Mercedes Martinez to WSW!

Highlights aired of the alliance formed between Deonna Purrazzo, Kay Lee Ray, and Io Shirai to stand in opposition to Diamond. We see highlights of the trios match from last week that saw Kay Lee Ray score a stunning pinfall on WSW Women’s World Champion Tessa Blanchard – the first time Blanchard had been pinned in months.

As the video ended, Paige Knight was standing in the center of the ring with a microphone:
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to Ignition, and please welcome...Kay Lee Ray!

The crowd cheered the arrival of Kay Lee Ray. Since her debut in December, KLR had steadily climbed the ranks of the women’s division; however, no victory meant as much as the one she scored last week over the World Champion.

As she stood in the ring, a “Kay Lee Ray” chant broke out. Paige spoke:

Kay Lee, last week you did something no one in WSW has done in over a year – you pinned Tessa Blanchard, the WSW Women’s World Champion. You and I have known each other for a very long time, and I know you have something very important to say here tonight.

Kay Lee Ray took a moment and looked around at the crowd before speaking:

Last week was the biggest victory in my ten years as a professional wrestler. Right here in this ring, I pinned the shoulders of the World Champion to the mat for 1, 2, and 3. Three seconds change lives in this business Paige. Three seconds is all it takes to go from a good hand to a main event star.

That leads me to Diamond...I can’t say that I’m surprised that Tessa Blanchard and her crew have risen to the top of WSW. They are brash, they are mean, and they are willing to cut any corner and hurt anyone to stay on top. For the past year and a half, Tessa and Diamond have gone through the women’s division one by one. They have gone scorched earth to ensure they stay on top, and Tessa sits on the throne. A prideful tyrant, Tessa has defended that belt against the best women in the world, and time after time, Tessa is left standing when the dust settles. With Nixon back, Diamond is at full strength once again, and Tessa believes she truly holds ALL of women’s wrestling in the palm of her hand. Tessa prides herself on the spoils of her victories, the finest jewelry, the cars, the clothes, the expensive champagne...

But Paige, as you know, pride comes before the fall. Tessa’s got one problem...she never saw me coming!

Let me tell you a story for just a moment. It’s a story of a little girl from Paisley, Renfrewshire. A little girl that was all knees and elbows, never wore a dress, and preferred to play rugby rather than with dolls. It’s the story of a little girl who never fit the mold of a “proper lady.” A girl who was called weird, odd, and ostracized by her classmates. A story of a little girl who grew up lonely, afraid, and scared that she would never find her place in this world.... it's the story of me.

I wasn’t popular, I wasn’t pretty, and truth be told...I felt small and insignificant. I used to get on my knees and pray at night that I could change...that I could wake up and look like all the other girls.

All that changed when I was 14 years old and discovered professional wrestling. I discovered someone who spoke through my television screen and right to my heart...I discovered Saraya Bevis and WAW. Paige, I stand next to you and say this with tears in my eyes...you’re an inspiration.

At 16, I decided to become a professional wrestler because of you. You paved the way for so many young women in the UK to break into this business. Not only that, but you also forged the path across the Atlantic into the States...you kicked down the door of women’s wrestling and showed that it’s okay to look different, to act different, and to sound different. Success in this business isn’t defined by looks, it’s defined by grit, kicking ass, being 100% true to yourself, and REFUSING to take no for an answer.

I started at the bottom...I wrestled in garages and cow pastures...driving for hours on end across Scotland and the UK to wrestle on any show that would let me compete.

I loved it.

I loved the grind because in professional wrestling I found my WHY...through the bruises and broken bones I found myself between these ropes, and I discovered that Kay Lee Ray is a goddamn alley cat from Scotland and I’m DAMN proud of it!

With tears in her eyes, the chants of “Kay Lee Ray” fired up inside the Wolstein Center, and the crowd was captivated by her powerful words. She continued:

There’s one cold hard truth to pro wrestling...it’s never easy.

Time after time I was turned down by major promotions for not having “the right look” or for “having an accent that no one would understand.” I had scouts and coaches tell me to stay in the UK because I wouldn’t appeal to the mainstream. All those scars from my past resurfaced...until WSW was formed and became THE greatest professional wrestling company in the world.

I have been given NOTHING in my life, I have EARNED everything...and when I signed with WSW, I knew this was my chance...my chance to EARN my keep and prove that I was UNDENIABLE!

And last week...that wasn’t luck Tessa...I EARNED that pin over you! Those 3 seconds were TEN YEARS IN THE MAKING!

“You Deserve It” chants fired up before Kay Lee continued:

That brings me to July 13 and SummerFest...the biggest show in the history of WSW. I’ve earned the right to call my shot...

AND TESSA BLANCHARD – I'M COMING FOR THE WOMEN’S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!

At SummerFest, I am going to stand in this ring, look you in the eyes, and BEAT you. I am going to become World Champion! I am going to take that belt that you covet and not use it as a golden throne but as a torch of hope and inspiration for every single girl that has been made to feel small and insignificant. I pinned you once, and I promise I’m going to do it again, but this time it will be for EVERYTHING!

I may not look like you Tessa, I may never have the money you do...but just like I learned all those years ago, inside these ropes...it doesn’t matter.
You say that Diamonds are forever...well at SummerFest, I’ll show you that the alley cat that’s toiled, struggled, and refused to die is the MOST animal there is!

A LOUD “Kay Lee Ray” chant fired up again, and the crowd gave KLR a standing ovation following the incredibly passionate and personal words.

A commercial aired for the “Biggest Summer Ever” for WSW. The commercial hyped SummerFest on July 13 on Netflix, Ignition 200 on July 18 on Paramount Network, and Grand Prix 2019 coming this August!

Backstage, the newest member of the WSW broadcast crew, Melissa Santos was inside the locker room of Golden Triangle, WSW World Champion Kenny Omega, Ricochet, and Kota Ibushi.

Melissa Santos: Back here on Ignition, and I’m here with Golden Triangle. In the main event tonight, you three will take on Black Arrow. Kenny, I’ve got to start with you. SummerFest is four weeks away, and you will defend the World Championship against Claudio Castagnoli. As a competitor, how do you balance knowing that match is on the horizon with the task at hand tonight?

Kenny Omega: Melissa, let me be the first to officially welcome you to WSW. We’re very glad you’re here, and that’s a very good question.

Claudio Castagnoli is an unbelievable threat, he’s world-class, and he’s got my full attention. Claudio, I saw your video last week...I saw you threaten my family...namely Ibushi. You’re going down a dangerous road, my friend. You have no clue how deadly Ibushi is, and you have NO CLUE how dangerous I am when my family is threatened. At SummerFest...I won’t make threats; I’ll just knee you in the face and beat you.

But...that’s four weeks from now. Tonight, we deal with Black Arrow. Look Ric, Ibushi and I knew that when we formed Golden Triangle, we placed a giant target on our backs. Call it a coincidence, but Black Arrow has aimed at that very target.

I’m not shocked though; Adam Cole is a snake and the single most opportunistic asshole I’ve ever met. You see there’s a long history between Adam Cole and I, and one that, quite frankly, we don’t have time to get into. Adam’s lived his whole life yearning to walk a mile in Kenny Omega’s shoes. He’s the next guy in line to proclaim, “insert wrestler name here...better than sign...Kenny Omega.” He begged to come to Japan, he begged to be in Bullet Club, and now he’s going down his checklist and challenging us. We’re flattered. But Adam, all those words...all that talk...it means nothing when we beat you. Tonight isn’t about Kenny Omega...it’s about Ricochet, Kota Ibushi, and Kenny Omega...it’s about Golden Triangle.

This right here, this is what elite looks like.

Kota Ibushi then surprisingly spoke up in English:

Black Arrow tonight...we beat you! Dawson and Wilder, Ricochet and I are coming for you and then the World Tag Team Titles. But Claudio Castagnoli...I want you next! You will not break Kota Ibushi...I will not be a pawn. I will stand on my own and beat you just like Kenny will. You challenge my honor...I will challenge your WILL!”

Match Three: TK Cooper (w/ Dahlia Black) vs. Cody

The third match of Ignition was a singles match between TK Cooper and Cody. The Cleveland crowd wildly cheered when these famous words sounded out,

Wrestling has more than one royal family...

As Cody made his entrance amongst pyro and cheers, the commentary trio discussed Cody’s string of victories since his brutal war with Ethan Carter at Undisputed – including a hard-fought win over Travis Banks last week. Tonight, he squares off with the other half of the South Pacific Power Trip, TK Cooper.

As the bell sounded, the two men shook hands in respect before circling each other. A grappling exchange followed, with Cody showcasing his amateur background – seizing waist control to drop TK Cooper to the mat. Cody drove Cooper into the corner and fired off the first strike of the match with a chop. Cooper fired back with a chop of his own that stunned Cody. Cooper hit a second chop, followed by a third.

Cooper whipped Cody into the corner. The blonde star floated over a charging Cooper and caught him with a sunset flip; however, Cooper rolled through and countered with a jackknife cover that scored an early 2 count!

On commentary, Paige Knight noted this was the biggest singles match of TK Cooper’s career. He had primarily been known as a tag specialist, winning tag team gold with Travis Banks around the world – and winning the 2019 WSW Global Cup tournament – but he had the opportunity to shock all of WSW by seizing his opportunity and beating Cody one-on-one.

TK Cooper hit an arm drag, and he attempted to apply an armbar on the mat. Cody blocked and powered up to his feet, but his slam attempt was countered with yet another arm drag. Cooper transitioned into a hammerlock on the mat.

Cody fought his way to his feet and elbowed his way out of the submission. A rope running sequence followed with ducked clotheslines, leapfrogs, and baseball slides. Continuing to bounce off the ropes, both men hit simultaneous dropkicks for a stalemate! On commentary, Chael Sonnen noted that TK Cooper was up to the task, he had done his homework and his scouting of Cody early in this match was superb.

The two men locked up yet again, with Cody grabbing a side headlock and wrenching down. Cooper fought his way free, leading to a criss-cross rope running sequence that saw Cooper hit a leg lariat followed by a stiff short arm lariat for a 1 count!

Cody rolled to the apron for a reprieve, but Cooper stayed on the attack. He sprung off the middle rope, over the top rope, and NAILED A DDT on the apron!

Cody flopped down to the floor from the impact!

Cooper wasted no time getting Cody back into the ring, he covered...but Cody kicked out at 2!

Cody was dazed, and Cooper went to work – throwing hard knee strikes to the temple. A “Cody” chant sounded out, as the crowd attempted to rally their new hero. On commentary, Chael Sonnen said:

Combat sports is a zero-sum game. When you are wrestling at the pace Cody has the last few weeks, you lose preparation time for your opponent, and maybe most importantly, you are going to get worn down physically – I don’t care what kind of shape you’re in. Right now, we’re seeing that it looks like TK Cooper is just one step quicker than Cody.

Cooper whipped Cody into the corner. He charged, but the ring veteran Cody hit a drop-toe hold to send Cooper face-first into the middle turnbuckle. Firing up from the crowd support, Cody laid in heavy forearms and chops that rocked TK Cooper. Cody took Cooper up top and brought him crashing back down with a superplex!

He covered for a 2 count!

With the trademark passion in his eyes, Cody threw his weight belt into the crowd. He then hit a trio of body slams with the crowd counting each one. “One More Time” chants sounded out, and Cody obliged with a fourth body slam followed immediately by the Figure Four!

Almost instantly, TK Cooper turned the submission over to reverse pressure – knowing this was the same submission that put away his tag team partner Travis Banks last week. Cody quickly scrambled to the bottom rope for the break.

Cody grabbed at his leg, slow to rise, and TK Cooper caught him with a dropkick. Whipping Cody into the corner, TK Cooper landed a trio of charging leg lariats. Bouncing around like a pinball, Cooper nailed a strike combination – forearm, spinning backfist, and a discus elbow!

TK Cooper covered for a near fall!

Knowing the opportunity at hand, Cooper climbed up to the top looking to fly. As he reached the top rope, Cody wisely rolled himself to the floor. Cooper wasted no time though, lowering himself to the apron, and CRUSHING Cody with a double foot stomp right between the shoulder blades!

Cody cried out in pain. Cooper quickly threw him back into the ring. In one fluid motion, Cooper vaulted himself from the apron to the top turnbuckle to connect on a BEAUTIFUL moonsault. He covered...

But Cody got his shoulder up at 2.5!

Dahlia Black clutched her head on the floor, she couldn’t believe that Cody kicked out!

Cooper went for a powerbomb, but Cody countered with an Alabama Slam followed by a jackknife cover...

But TK Cooper kicked out!

Cody pounded on the mat, and the crowd responded in kind. Cody went for the Figure Four, but TK Cooper caught him with an inside cradle....

Kickout!

Cody scrambled to his feet and hit a sunset flip, but TK Cooper countered by sitting down and capturing the legs...

Kick Out!

TK Cooper had an answer for everything Cody threw at him! Cooper went to the corner to pull himself to his feet. Cody charged, but Cooper got the boots up. Cooper hit a bulldog.

Climbing to the top once again, TK Cooper flew with a diving double-foot stomp......

But Cody rolled out of the way!

TK Cooper rolled through on the landing, but as he turned to charge at Cody – he was met with a basement dropkick to the knee!

Cody went for the Figure Four!

But TK Cooper blocked Cody’s left leg from locking in the submission. Cooper’s eyes bulged as he fought with all his might to keep the leg up...

Cody used his heel to drive down stomps into the forehead!

TK Cooper clung out for dear life, but the heel of the boot just rained down like an anvil!

Cooper lost his grip, and the Figure Four was applied tight!

TK Cooper tapped out!

Cody (9:00)

Following the match, Cody ran his hands through his platinum blonde hair, knowing he had been pushed. After getting his hand raised, Cody extended his hand to TK Cooper who used the ropes to pull himself up. Cooper shook Cody’s hands to cheers before rolling outside and slapping the apron in frustration.

Cody called for a microphone. Breathing heavily for a moment he spoke:

Thank you, Cleveland! My dad always said that there was no greater moment in wrestling than right after winning a match and soaking in it...wearing the moment for just a little bit. If you’ll indulge me for just a second, I’d like to do that with you!

The crowd cheered and chanted “Cody” once again, as Cody smiled – pure joy was on his face.

I’ve long said that WSW is the greatest professional wrestling company in the world because we ARE professional wrestling. There’s a locker room of men and women back there who are hungry, they are ass-kickers, and they are willing to spill their guts for the love of this beautiful sport. Guys like TK Cooper and Travis Banks who kicked the absolute hell out of me last week are the heartbeat of pro wrestling and the heartbeat of WSW.

These past few weeks have been the happiest I’ve been in a long, long time. After Undisputed, I vowed to leave the past in the past and to get in this ring and wrestle...why, because wins and losses matter. Stacking wins is the most important thing in my life right now outside of my family. Under these lights, inside this ring, and wrestling for all of you has liberated me. Each week I walk down that ramp, and I feel the red clearing from my ledger.

That brings me to July 13 and SummerFest. It seems to be a hot topic around here. We’re headed to Toronto and 16,000+ rabid fans for the largest show in WSW history. I plan on being there, and I’m damn sure going to be a part of it.......

As Cody spoke, a man in a hooded sweatshirt ran down through the crowd and slid into the ring...

A moment of confusion went through the Wolstein Center...

The man grabbed Cody, spun him around, and DROPPED HIM WITH A BRAINBUSTER!

Cody lay flat in the ring, motionless.

The hooded figure looked down at the fallen Cody, before slowly raising his head and pulling the hood of the sweatshirt off...

AUSTIN ARIES

Sporting a thick beard, Austin Aries looked around the arena with wide eyes – the crowd buzzed as this was his first appearance in WSW in months!

With a wild look in his eyes, Aries slowly crouched down next to the prone Cody. Very gently he patted Cody on the cheek.

Holding his arms out to the side, Aries slowly rose. He closed his eyes and tilted his head back, basking in the jeers of the crowd.

On commentary, Mauro Ranallo said:

Months! It has been months since we’ve seen this man! Austin Aries is back in WSW, and he just laid out Cody...what the hell?!

Ignition returned from a commercial with Todd Keneley desperately running after Austin Aries backstage.

Austin, Austin...just one minute. We haven’t seen you in months!

Austin Aries whipped around. Keneley pressed him:

It has been months...why now? Why Cody?

Aries put his hood back up on his sweatshirt and said:

Not now. I’ll speak on my terms. See you next week.

Aries then turned and walked away from a befuddled Todd Keneley.

The camera then cut back inside the arena where Chael Sonnen stood in the center of the ring with a microphone:

Welcome back to Ignition right here in beautiful downtown Cleveland, Ohio! At this time, please welcome the LA Express!

Boos rained down as Johnny Mundo, Mike Bennett, Taya Valkyrie, and Maria walked out on stage. They got halfway down the ramp, and Johnny Mundo took his sunglasses off and looked around at his crew. He turned around annoyed to see Brian Cage come out, several paces behind his stablemates with a scowl on his face.

Mauro Ranallo noted:

To say it’s been a challenging few weeks for the LA Express would be a massive understatement. Since their mammoth win over Golden Triangle in a trios match here on Ignition, Johnny Mundo has been beaten by Kenny Omega, Brian Cage suffered a serious back injury and was defeated by Ricochet in his return, and Taya Valkyrie has been beaten by Kay Lee Ray. The leader of LA Express, Johnny Mundo has demanded a team meeting here tonight.

As they entered the ring, an “LA Sucks” chant broke out. The typically cocky Johnny Mundo looked irritated as he spoke:

This would normally be the time that I bury the absolute shithole that is Cleveland, but I don’t have the time or energy for that tonight...

This drew a visceral reaction from the loyal people of Cleveland. Mundo continued:

You know what...excuse me...Chael what the hell are you doing here?! This is an LA Express team meeting, I know it’s your job to stand there and hold the microphone, and God knows you need this paycheck because you can’t fight anymore. You proved that last weekend in Bellator...so why don’t you give me the mic and get the hell out of my ring before I knock you out faster than Lyota Machida did!

This did not go well with the always proud Chael Sonnen. He stared daggers into the eyes of Johnny Mundo and bowed up. Mundo dug in further:

What are you going to do tough guy? Hit me...well, I guess that would technically be more punches than you landed in your last fight.

But let me be clear – you touch me, and we’ll beat you down...and then I’ll sue your ass for aggravated assault and get you fired.

Sonnen was angry, and a “Chael” chant started up. Cooler head prevailed though, and Sonnen shoved the microphone into the chest of Johnny Mundo before leaving the ring. Mundo smirked and continued:

Now...let's get down to business.

The LA Express is the single greatest thing I have ever built in my illustrious career. I created the LA Express because pro wrestling needed a savior. A savior who would find and build the stars to carry WSW and this sport to the next level. Being a savior is a massive burden to bear, but I was the man for the job.

I painstakingly sought out the men and women who were worthy enough to stand beside me, embrace the bright lights, get to the top, and live the Hollywood dream.

For months we dominated – we were a hungry pack of wolves that systematically took a scalpel to everything and everyone that stood in our way. Time after time we have come this close to the top of the mountain, but we have never summited it and planted our flag.

I’ve thought long and hard about this, and I’ve got to say...

It’s because all of you aren’t carrying your weight!

I have given you every opportunity to succeed, but you have failed every time I gave you the ball!

Look at us! I handpicked every single one of you! When I see this group, I see Mike Bennett and Brian Cage – future World Tag Team Champions, I see La Wera Loca, the First Lady of Slamtown, Taya Valkyrie becoming Women’s World Champion again, and I see the beautiful Maria becoming the most influential manager since Sensational Sherry and Bobby Heenan...and of course...I see myself as the future WSW World Champion...

I can’t want that for you though! You must want that yourself! You have to WANT to be in the LA Express, because I promise you...just as soon as you hopped on this ride, I can kick you off!

I wanted to do this publicly because I want confirmation that you’re committed to this...

Johnny Mundo pointed at Mike Bennett.

Are you in?!

Mike Bennett emphatically nodded yes.

Johnny Mundo pointed at Maria.

Are you in?!

Maria nodded yes.

Johnny Mundo pointed at Taya Valkyrie.

Baby, I know you’re in... you helped me build this, and I can’t wait to see you hold gold again.

Johnny Mundo then pointed at Brian Cage. Cage scowled at Mundo.

What about you big man?

You seem to have a problem with me lately. Two weeks ago, I watched you tear the house down with Ricochet...the man who put you on the shelf and wrecked your back. We had the plan executed to perfection, you had the kill shot, but you couldn’t pull the trigger. And what happened...
You LOST!

Cage, you are a physical freak. I look at you and I see dollar signs, but you can’t do it on your own...are you in?!

Brian Cage stepped up to Johnny Mundo and took the microphone.

Johnny, two weeks ago I asked to wrestle Ricochet on my own. I said I had it, and when I say I got it...I mean it!

You’ve pointed out everyone’s flaws...except yours. You want to have a team meeting and air out dirty laundry. How come you haven’t mentioned getting beat by Kenny Omega in the main event of Undisputed and losing your shot at the World Title?! To me, that’s failure in the highest degree...

The crowd oohed at this. Johnny Mundo was hot; he took the microphone back and stepped back from the massive Brian Cage after sizing him up.

That right there...that’s what I love about you Cage. You’re all hyped up and pissed, and I like it. That attitude is why I put you in the LA Express, and that’s what makes you a killer!

Let me ask you one question though, is there ANYONE in this business that’s done as much for you as I have?!

The answer is NO!

I’m the influencer here! Because of ME, you’re in WSW. You’ve been in the main event of Ignition, you’ve been on the premium Netflix specials, and you’re making more money than you ever have before...think of that brand new house you just bought in Southern California, the house you are going to raise your family in. Where did that money come from? It came because of ME!

If it wasn’t for me Cage, you’d still be sweating it out on a crappy soundstage in Boyle Heights with Matt Striker, praying that Lucha Underground gets renewed for another season!

This last line drew oohs from the crowd before the boos started again.

I MADE you a star, and I will continue to make you a star. Think about where you came from and what you have now...think hard about that Cage. So, fall your ass in line, trust me, and go all in!

Brian Cage’s eyes burned holes in Johnny Mundo. A slight “No, No, No” chant was heard, but Cage lowered his head and stepped back in line. Mundo smiled:

That’s what I thought!

Walking back front and center, Mundo suddenly flashed a smile bigger and faker than a televangelist:

That felt healthy! Sometimes it’s good to get things off your chest. Mark this date down, June 20, 2019...this is the date that the LA Express gassed up and got ready to ride again! And we’re going to show why next week...

Because next week here on Ignition, we’re issuing an open challenge to any trio in the world. Anyone that wants to try their luck...come take on the LA Express. Next week, we get our edge back, and this pack of wolves will feast again! The redemption tour has started, and we will show why we are STILL the most dominant faction in pro wrestling!

Mundo flipped the microphone to the canvas, as the boos started again. Mundo gave enthusiastic fist bumps to Valkyrie, Maria, and Mike Bennett who all obliged.

Mundo looked Brian Cage up and down before extending his fist; however, Cage just looked at it. Mundo held his fist higher momentarily. When it was clear the gesture wasn’t going to be reciprocated, Mundo patted Cage on his massive chest and left the ring. The LA Express followed, except for Cage. He looked down at the microphone for several seconds before eventually turning and leaving the ring. He followed the crew several steps behind, just as he had entered.

Ignition returned with a vignette featuring Deonna Purrazzo. We see highlights of Deonna’s match with Tessa Blanchard at Undisputed. Purrazzo spilled her guts but came up short. We see highlights of Nixon Newell’s return and subsequent attack on Purrazzo. Highlights are shown of their interaction in the trios match last week, which saw the two women brawl over the guardrail into the crowd. Purrazzo’s voice narrates the piece:

Let me tell you a little something about me. I’m from Hackettstown, New Jersey...the heartbeat of blue-collar America.

In Hackettstown, the lights don’t shine brightly...we’re a community built on hard work...never afraid to roll up our sleeves and get our hands dirty to get a job done. My hometown shaped me, it made me who I am today.

Ever since I was a little girl, I was never allowed to lick my wounds when I got knocked down. I had to rub some dirt on it, get back up, and keep fighting. That’s not just a slogan or life motto, that’s what the people of Hackettstown do every day, and that’s what’s engrained into my DNA.

I’ll tell you something else my hometown taught me. When we say something, we’re ready to back it up.

My words aren’t hollow, and they aren’t cheap. Diamond...I’m coming for you.

One by one, I am going to pick you off. And I’m not going to stop till the job is done.

Congratulations Nixon...you’re first on my list. It will never be lost on me that the very first thing you did with your surgically repaired knee was smash me in the face. Your comeback could have been an inspiration for thousands. But you took the path of least resistance. You ran to the bright lights, the money, and all the perks that come with being Tessa’s stooge.

You like the bright lights, Nixon? Well, I can’t wait to snap your arm under the brightest lights WSW has ever offered...SummerFest!

Tap out or blackout...I don’t care. In Toronto Nixon, you’re the first domino to fall!

Melissa Santos was backstage inside the locker room of Black Arrow – Dawson, Wilder & WSW Intercontinental Champion Adam Cole.

Melissa Santos: Back on Ignition, and I am here with Black Arrow. You three vowed to send a message, and tonight that message becomes action as you take on Golden Triangle. Adam, there’s a lot of history between you and Kenny Omega – what are your thoughts as you head into the main event tonight?

Adam Cole: This is where we belong...in the main event. Tonight is about leaving no doubt. When we say something, you bet your ass we are going to back it up. Around my waist – the Intercontinental Championship is THE belt in WSW, and after all these years, I will finally prove to Kenny Omega that I am THE guy! I can’t take that World Title from you tonight, Kenny, but believe me there will be a day that I will. Consider this Chapter One of our journey together here in WSW.

The priorities seem to be skewed around here. WE are the men that broke Bobby Lashley, WE are the men that finally got rid of that carny leech Arn Anderson, and WE are the men that will end the fantasy of Kenny Omega and Golden Triangle. Look around you Melissa – Adam Cole, Dawson & Wilder...we are the BEST in the game today and there is no three-man team in the world more dangerous than us!

Dawson: This right here...this is personal! You look at the three of us, you see money, you see professional wrestling at its absolute BEST. But it goes deeper than that. Wilder, Cole, and I are looking to cement our LEGACY. WE want to be known as the three TOP GUYS in the whole damn sport. Everything in WSW runs through us. After tonight, there will be no doubt!

Wilder: We also made a promise to collect gold! Adam has his, and after tonight, Dawson and I will set our sights on winning those World Tag Team Titles once again, because as far as I’m concerned...WE MADE THOSE BELTS. It’s not a threat, but a promise...we will all hold gold and Black Arrow will be undeniable!

Adam Cole: And that Melissa...is why when Black Arrow aims...we don’t miss!”

The camera cut back inside the arena to the announce desk as Mauro Ranallo, Chael Sonnen, and Paige Knight broke down the bracket of the Elite 8 Tournament. Ace Austin and Brian Pillman Jr. were first round winners, and they will meet in the semi-finals in two weeks. Tonight, the other half of the bracket kicks off with Jungle Boy vs. Myron Reed. Before they could throw to the hype packages, Chael Sonnen spoke:

Mauro, can I just say something for one minute? It’s been an insane night here – we saw Will Ospreay and Dragon Lee tear the house down, we’ve seen Mercedes Martinez debut, and Austin Aries return. But...I’ve been sitting here stewing since my interaction with Johnny Mundo. I've been in the combat sports game for a very long time, so I’m not going to cower from trash talk. However, that was one of the most disrespectful things I’ve ever been a part of. I lived and died in the cage of MMA, and last Saturday night was one of the most emotional moments of my life.

I love WSW, I love my job, but I’ve been fired before...and I will probably be fired again. I promise you this...Johnny, if you ever speak to me or any of my colleagues like that again, we’re going to have a problem. You’re a big-time superstar, and I will never doubt or question your ability. You just need to know something...I’ve always got one more punch left in me!

Now let’s get to the match and talk about competitors that deserve our time before I get fined more than I already am!

Sonnen threw his pen down on the desk in frustration.

Match Four: Elite 8 Tournament First Round – Myron Reed vs. Jungle Boy

The fourth match of Ignition was a singles match between Myron Reed and Jungle Boy in the Elite 8 Tournament. As both men made their way to the ring, inset promos aired.

Myron Reed said:
Let me make something loud and clear...I’m not just happy to be here. I’m here to win this whole damn tournament. I’ve waited my whole life for this, and I can promise you that when the dust settles, I’ll be left holding that Elite 8 trophy...EVERYONE will know the name Hot Fire Myron Reed!

Jungle Boy said:
My name is Jack Perry, but you can call me Jungle Boy. Pro wrestling is my everything, and lately, it’s been my only thing. I have worked my entire life to earn my way onto this stage and this platform. Now, I get to do what I do best. Tonight, the world finds out who Jungle Boy is...and this match is for the living and those gone too soon!

The crowd gave Jungle Boy a big positive reaction—especially amongst the women in the audience. Mauro Ranallo noted that Jungle Boy had recently turned 22 and had been a pro since 2015, primarily on the West Coast independent scene. He is also the son of the late actor, Luke Perry.

At the bell, Myron Reed exploded out of his corner with a shotgun dropkick! Jungle Boy flew back into his corner from the impact! Myron Reed immediately followed with a leaping splash. He rolled back to the center of the ring and charged in again with a leaping uppercut – showing off his insane speed and agility.

Reed shot Jungle Boy into the ropes and tried for a hip toss, but Jungle Boy flipped over to his feet, only to be popped with a massive overhand chop! Reed then planted Jungle Boy with a reverse DDT!

Reed cockily dusted his hands off and shouted:

I AIN’T EVEN SWEATING!

Reed vaulted himself up to the top turnbuckle and shouted:

I AM THE YOUNG GOAT!

Reed caught Jungle Boy with a picture-perfect missile dropkick! He covered, but only got a 2 count!

Reed paint brushed the back of Jungle Boy’s thick hair, taunting the young wrestler:

Come on Jungle Boy – this all you got?! Gonna be an early exit!

The trash talk cost Reed though, as Jungle Boy fired up and scored a trio of chops for his first offense of the match. Jungle Boy hit a step-up spinning head scissors, followed by a deep arm drag. Grabbing the wrist of Myron Reed, Jungle Boy showed off his insane catlike agility, springing off multiple ropes and hitting a rope walk Mexican Arm Drag!

This flurry woke the crowd up, and Jungle Boy hit a dropkick of his own for a 2 count! A “Jungle Boy” chant started to permeate.

Jungle Boy and Myron Reed engaged in a dizzying sequence of back-and-forth:
  • Reed scored a double-leg takedown and a jackknife cover for 1
  • Reed missed a standing double stomp, and Jungle Boy rolled him up for a 1
  • Jungle Boy tried a German Suplex, but Reed hit a back elbow to escape. Reed hit the ropes but ran directly into a sunset flip for a 1 count!
  • Reed picked the ankle of Jungle Boy and slowed the match down by locking in a Texas Cloverleaf!
In a match that was best described as a pinball machine so far, Myron Reed grounded Jungle Boy. The submission was cinched in deep!

Jungle Boy clutched at his mane of hair and gritted his teeth – he knew what tapping out would mean! With the crowd behind him, Jungle Boy clawed at the canvas...

And he grabbed the bottom rope for the break!

Reed broke the hold but immediately stomped on the lower back of Jungle Boy. Jungle Boy rolled to the apron, and Myron Reed paraded around the ring, running his mouth again:

HOT FIRE BABY!

Reed charged, but Jungle Boy caught him with a shoulder to the midsection through the ropes. Jungle Boy vaulted himself over Reed’s back, hit the ropes, but was DESTROYED by a spinning hook kick from Myron Reed! In one fluid motion, Reed hit a slingshot back suplex, followed by a slingshot leg drop!

Kickout!

Jungle Boy refused to stay down!

Myron Reed looked to end it. He went to the apron and flexed.

THAT’S ALL SHE WROTE FOLKS!

Reed went for the No Cap Slash (springboard 450 splash), but Jungle Boy moved out of the way!

Reed landed on his feet though. He rolled through, but charged right into a ripcord lariat by Jungle Boy! Myron Reed got turned inside out!

Both men were down as the referee’s count got to 6. Jungle Boy and Myron Reed got to their feet at the same time. Jungle Boy charged, but Reed matrixed under his attack, kipped to his feet, and connected on an enziguri! Cover!

Jungle Boy kicked out at 2!

Insane athleticism by Myron Reed was on full display, but the heart of Jungle Boy couldn’t be denied. Reed grew frustrated, he got in the referee’s face and demanded that it was a 3 count! Reed then shoved the referee and screamed!

DON’T CHEAT ME MAN! THIS KID AIN’T SHIT! COUNT RIGHT!

Reed charged, looking for the kill shot, but Jungle Boy moved and caught Reed with a rebound inside-out powerslam! Jungle Boy covered, but Reed kicked out at 2!

Jungle Boy pounded on the canvas to get the crowd behind him. Jungle Boy lit into the chest of Myron Reed with chops! Each chop popped harder than the last, as Myron Reed leaned against the ropes, staggered. With pain on his face, Reed looked into the eyes of Jungle Boy and doubled down:

YOU AIN’T SHIT!

Myron Reed slapped Jungle Boy in the face!

This fired up Jungle Boy, who hit the ropes and CRUSHED Reed with a leaping uppercut! He covered!

Kick out!

The “Jungle Boy” chants fired up again, but louder this time!

Jungle Boy went to the apron. He tried to vault to the top for a springboard, but Reed hit an enziguri to cut him off! Myron Reed charged, but Jungle Boy hit a step-through spear!

Not wasting one precious moment, Jungle Boy picked the ankle. Jungle Boy slapped on the Snare Trap (STF).

The submission was tight in the center of the ring...

Myron Reed tapped out!

Jungle Boy (8:25)

The crowd cheered the victory of Jungle Boy, who advanced in the Elite 8 Tournament. Myron Reed clutched at his neck, rolling to the apron, seething in the anger of defeat. On commentary, Mauro Ranallo noted:

What a victory for Jungle Boy tonight! Myron Reed is a rising star, but Jungle Boy withstood every shot, showed his heart, and he’s made believers out of these fans here in Cleveland. Watch out for this kid from Valley Village, California!

Ignition returned with highlights of Jon Moxley’s debut match last week – a wild, bloody brawl with RUSH that saw Moxley claim his first WSW victory.

The camera then cut to Jon Moxley pacing inside a dark hallway inside the Wolstein Center:

This is a crazy ass ride that I’ve found myself on.

It’s a jungle out there. A world full of alphas that want to break you down to climb the pyramid and become the apex predator.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Freedom is an addictive drug. It makes you do things you never thought were possible...like hunting the best wrestlers in the world because you CAN! It’s what causes you to spill blood in the ring with RUSH – the baddest man to come out of Mexico in a long time.

Freedom is what allows you to drop a generational talent from the UK on his head, look him in the eye, and ask him to do something about it.

WILL OSPREAY! I’m a wild man, but I’m a calculated man. I picked you because I wanted to fight you. I’ve followed your career, I know the miles you’ve traveled, the sacrifices you’ve made, I know what you can do, and I see that hunger in your eyes...I respect that. If I’m being honest, I wanted you to fight me back. I heard you tonight...loud and clear. Your challenge is accepted! I’ll see you at SummerFest!

I told the world that they may recognize me...BUT they don’t know who Jon Moxley is! I showed them last week. Everyone found out that Jon Moxley is a very violent man but at SummerFest....after I beat you Will, the whole world will find out that I’m the best wrestler in the world!

But that’s July 13...hell we’re in my home state of Ohio! You’re out of your damn mind if you didn’t think that I wouldn’t come home and look for a good fight. Next week on Ignition, I’m marching my ass to that ring, and I’m begging someone to step up and come fight. Ohio made Jon Moxley, and there’s no place I’m more dangerous!

A video package aired showcasing the havoc caused by the Lucha Brothers in recent weeks. Following their controversial loss to The Hart Foundation at Undisputed – a match that saw Teddy Hart pull off Pentagon’s mask – the Lucha Brothers put The Hart Foundation squarely in their crosshairs.

Two weeks ago on Ignition, The Hart Foundation took on Valiente and Volador Jr. of CMLL, but after the match, Fenix and Pentagon struck with insane fury. They beat down both teams with chairs, and duct taped Brian Pillman Jr. to the ropes to watch the destruction. The Lucha Brothers stole the WSW World Tag Team Titles in the process. Last week, Fenix and Pentagon struck again – attacking Pillman following his first-round victory in the Elite Eight Tournament – Pentagon performing the deadly arm snap.

The video package is interspersed with footage of Konnan, Fenix, and Pentagon standing in a dark alleyway. Konnan spoke:

This isn’t a game ese this is war. HART FOUNDATION HAS OUR POINT BEEN MADE YET?!

Two weeks in a row Fenix and Pentagon have sent you to the hospital!

You aren’t the top dogs around here anymore! As you sit at home broken men, I want you to look at your families, your pets...anything you hold dearly, and I want you to treasure them.

Because we will TAKE EVERYTHING FROM YOU! We TOOK your belts; we TOOK your hearts...and I promise you.....if you think about coming for revenge.... we will TAKE YOU STRAIGHT TO HELL!

With a World Tag Team Title draped over his shoulder, Pentagon spoke:

SOMOS LUCHA BROTHERS Y CERO MIEDO!

Backstage, Melissa Santos interviewed Salina de la Renta and the number one contender for the World Championship, Claudio Castagnoli. De la Renta and Castagnoli were dressed to the nines.

Melissa: I am here with Salina de la Renta and Claudio Castagnoli. Claudio, at SummerFest you will face Kenny Omega for the World Title, but last week you sent a very clear message to the Golden Triangle. We heard the challenge from Kota Ibushi earlier tonight...what is your response?

Claudio: I accept. I have been very clear about what my goal is. I am the man who will break Kenny Omega and become WSW World Champion once again. But Kenny, I am not just going to break you physically...I am going to break you mentally and emotionally. Next week, I am going to crush the skull of Kota Ibushi, and I want to look you right in the eyes when I do so. You will show up to SummerFest a shell of a man...and I will end the myth of Kenny Omega in front of your fellow countrymen and fulfill my destiny.

Salina de la Renta: I don’t speak fiction...I speak fact. I promised Claudio when he signed with me that I would make him a champion once again. Under my watch, he has become the most dangerous man in all of combat sports. Kenny, just know...the blood that is about to be shed is on your hands. Now, please excuse us...we have a suite to get to.

Ahead of the main event, the commentary team ran down the card for next week:
  • Claudio Castagnoli vs. Kota Ibushi
  • Jon Moxley In Action
  • Lucha Brothers vs. Valiente and Volador Jr.
  • Austin Aries Speaks Following His Shocking Return
  • LA Express Open Trios Challenge
  • Elite 8 Tournament First Round: Alexander Hammerstone vs. Alan Angels
Announced for SummerFest:
  • WSW World Championship: Kenny Omega (c) vs. Claudio Castagnoli
  • WSW Women's World Championship: Tessa Blanchard (c) vs. Kay Lee Ray
  • Will Ospreay vs. Jon Moxley

Match Five: Black Arrow vs. Golden Triangle

The main event of Ignition was a trios match between Black Arrow and Golden Triangle.

A hailstorm of boos rained down as Black Arrow made their entrance. The ever-cocky Adam Cole led the way, as Black Arrow seemingly slithered like snakes down the ramp to the ring. On commentary, Chael Sonnen said:

There are a lot of words that describe this unit right here...and most of them involve four-letter words. However, you simply cannot deny what they have done. Since forming Black Arrow, Adam Cole has captured the Intercontinental Championship – becoming the only man to defeat Bobby Lashley TWICE – they even broke the man’s leg. This group is dangerous, and they are hellbent on taking over WSW.

The exact opposite reaction sounded out as Golden Triangle made its way to the ring. A deafening roar sounded out inside the Wolstein Center as Omega, Ricochet, and Ibushi stood in the smoke of pyro explosion. Mauro Ranallo set the scene:

Take a look at what’s standing in the ring. The World Champion and the Intercontinental Champion – two men woven together by the fabric of Bullet Club in Japan -- flanked by tag teams that are hellbent on capturing championship gold themselves. This is what WSW is all about guys.

All six men stood in the ring as a shockwave of electricity was felt throughout the building. The cameras panned to a suite where Salina de la Renta and Claudio Castagnoli watched the match from high above. De la Renta took her seat with a glass of chilled champagne. She smiled smugly and toasted the ring, as Omega glanced up at the suite for more than just a moment before refocusing his attention on the task at hand. Adam Cole noticed this, smiled, and shouted:

Don’t look at him, Kenny! Look at me! I’m the REAL champion here you stupid son of a bitch!

ADAM GOLD BAY BAY!

Omega smirked at Cole and made his finger gun gesture. Omega challenged Cole to meet him in the center of the ring to start the match. The Death Busters and Ibushi and Ricochet cautiously left for the apron, leaving Omega and Cole alone.

The electricity in the Wolstein Center went to a 10, and “Holy Shit” chants rang out at the sheer sight of Omega and Cole in the ring together.

The two men circled each other, and they prepared to lock up....

But Cole backed away and tagged in Dawson!

Adam Cole laughed as the crowd loudly booed him.

Omega and Dawson circled each other and locked up. Dawson landed a swift knee to the midsection of the World Champion. Dawson hit the ropes, but Omega dropped to a knee to avoid him, seizing waist control. Omega went for a German Suplex, but Dawson grabbed the top rope to halt the momentum. With his trademark speed, Omega rolled back and charged for a V Trigger, but Dawson bailed through the ropes to the floor!

Dawson walked around outside, readjusting his tights and killing Omega’s momentum, as the Cleveland crowd fired up a “Kenny” chant. Dawson returned to the ring and as the two men went to lock up – Dawson hit a swift right hand to the jaw, followed by another. The referee chastised Dawson for the closed fist, but Dawson ignored him and slapped on an Arm Wringer. Dawson shot Omega into the corner, but Omega floated up and caught Dawson with a beautiful tijeras!

Omega tagged in Ibushi who fired off a wicked kick to the sternum of Dawson to drop him. Cole entered the ring and was cut down by a nasty kick. Wilder entered and met the same fate! Ibushi made a throat slash gesture to Claudio Castagnoli up in his suite!

Ibushi grabbed Wilder and looked to go for the Last Ride, but Adam Cole made the save from the floor – grabbing Wilder’s ankles and pulling him to the floor.

Ibushi looked at Black Arrow on the floor and vaulted over the top to the middle rope, but his moonsault attempt was cut off by Wilder who chop-blocked him – sending Ibushi crashing hard onto the apron!

Black Arrow were like sharks that smelled blood in the water. Dawson threw Ibushi into the steel ring post. Cole and Wilder each got cheap shots in on the floor before Dawson took things back inside.

Black Arrow cut the ring off, using frequent tags to keep the explosive Ibushi in their corner. Wilder and Dawson laid in heavy-handed strikes, while Cole hyperextended Ibushi’s left leg around the middle rope before landing a dropkick to the leg.

The crowd started to clap along, trying to will Ibushi back up – but Wilder mockingly clapped along before using a spinning toe hold to ground the strong style master once again.

Dawson tagged in, and Wilder attempted to whip his partner for a corner splash, but Ibushi got a boot up! Wilder charged and blocked Ibushi’s boot, but caught a kick to the midsection and a pump knee strike instead! Cole grabbed Ibushi from the apron, but his effort was in vain as Ibushi hit a Pele Kick! Ibushi rolled under a double clothesline attempt by the Death Busters and tagged in Ricochet!

Ricochet came in a house of fire, striking anything that moved. The crowd got whipped into a frenzy by Ricochet's nonstop movement and offense. A dropkick sent Wilder through the ropes to the floor. He caught Dawson with a Standing Spanish Fly, and then he hit a Fosbury Flop onto both Adam Cole and Wilder on the floor! Back inside, Ricochet hit a double knee facebreaker on Dawson for the first 2 count of the match!

Feeling the passion and energy of the crowd, Ricochet went up top for the 630.......

But Dawson rolled himself out to the floor to jeers.

Black Arrow regrouped as a trio at the base of the ramp, but Ricochet didn’t waste one second – he hopped from the top turnbuckle back into the ring, ran the ropes,

AND TOOK OUT ALL OF BLACK ARROW WITH A TOPE CON HILO!

The crowd went crazy for Ricochet, who threw Dawson back into the ring. Ricochet went up top once again – looking for a moonsault, but Wilder hopped to the apron and grabbed his leg. Ibushi hit a knee strike on the apron to knock Wilder back to the floor. Adam Cole hopped to the apron and grabbed Ricochet’s other leg; however, Omega caught him with a knee strike to send him to the floor.

All three members of Golden Triangle climbed to the top of the same corner...........

TRIANGLE MOONSAULT!

Bodies went everywhere!

Omega came off onto Cole on the floor, Ibushi onto Wilder on the floor, and Ricochet onto Dawson in the ring!

COVER!

Dawson kicked out at 2!

Ricochet chopped into the chest of Dawson, each strike popping like firecrackers.

Wilder hopped to the apron, attempting to get into the ring, but he was blocked by the referee. Ricochet hit the ropes, but he caught a knee to the back from Adam Cole on the apron.

Black Arrow knew how to bend every rule in the book to their advantage, and they showed that here. Dawson hit a snap vertical suplex before tagging Wilder. Like a wild man, Wilder dropped knees into the back of Ricochet. Wilder applied a surfboard stretch – Ricochet gritted his teeth from the pain!

Wilder dropped an elbow into the back of Ricochet before popping off a beautiful tilt-a-whirl backbreaker. Dawson immediately came off the middle rope with a knee drop, and Wilder covered for a near fall!

Wilder tagged in Adam Cole. The Intercontinental Champion stalked Ricochet. He smiled as he savagely kicked the worked-over back. Cole then hit a twisting neckbreaker for another 2 count! Black Arrow had succeeded in grounding Ricochet.

Ricochet reached in vain to his corner for a tag, but Cole stomped down on the hand and shot the bird at Ibushi and Omega. Cole drug Ricochet back into Black Arrow’s corner, and the trio used quick tags once again to fire into Ricochet. On commentary Paige Knight noted,

There isn’t anything flashy about the attack of Black Arrow, but it is so effective. They pick a body part, cut the ring off, and just relentlessly attack it. It is textbook tag team wrestling.

Wilder applied an abdominal stretch on Ricochet, as the Cleveland crowd started a “Ricochet” chant. Feeling the crowd, Ricochet threw elbows to escape the hold. Ricochet lunged for a tag, but Wilder grabbed his foot at the last second! He tried to drag Ricochet back into Black Arrow’s corner, but Ricochet hit an enziguri!

Ricochet leapt...

AND TAGGED IN IBUSHI!

Ibushi ran wild with clotheslines, kicks, and knee strikes a plenty. Ibushi hit a sympathy of strikes on Wilder: a spinning kick to the midsection, a pump knee strike, and a bicycle kick! Dawson charged in, and Ibushi hit him with a pop up powerbomb onto Wilder! Ibushi hit a standing double knees moonsault onto both Death Busters and covered both men!

They kicked out at 2!

Wilder was isolated in the ring, and Ibushi hoisted him up into the electric chair. Ricochet climbed to the top.....

He leapt.....

But Wilder slipped down the back of Ibushi, and Ricochet flew DIRECTLY INTO A SUPERKICK FROM ADAM COLE!

Wilder hit a dragon screw to the worked-over leg of Ibushi! Wilder slammed Ibushi’s knee into the canvas repeatedly before locking on a half crab!

He wrenched back deep!

Kenny Omega entered to break it up, but Dawson caught him in a guillotine!

The World Champion powered Dawson over the top rope with a backbody drop to the floor!

Adam Cole flew in with a guillotine on Omega!

Cole had the submission on tight!

Unable to break the guillotine, Omega launched himself and Cole into Wilder and Ibushi to break up the submission and save the match.

Everyone was down in the ring. Slowly but surely Ibushi tagged Omega and Wilder tagged Cole!

The crowd came alive as the World Champion and Intercontinental Champion went toe to toe! They went at it!

Back-and-forth chops turned into back-and-forth forearms!

Omega got the better of the exchange and ducked a wild swing by Cole. He went for a Snap Dragon, but Cole hit a back elbow to escape followed by a pump kick....and another! Cole went for the trio of pump kicks, but Omega countered with a V Trigger and You Can’t Escape!

The pin attempt was broken up by Dawson!

All hell broke loose, as Ibushi entered and dropped Dawson with a discus clothesline. Wilder kicked out the bad leg of Ibushi, but Ricochet vaulted off the back of Ibushi and spiked Wilder with a DDT!

Golden Triangle stood tall. Omega hoisted up Cole into a vertical suplex and Ibushi did the same with Wilder. With both men lifted into the air, Ricochet sprung off the top and hit a double missile dropkick!

Omega covered Cole, but Dawson broke up the pin!

“This Is Awesome” sounded out through the Wolstein Center!

Dawson low-bridged Ibushi to dump him to the outside. Dawson tackled Omega back into the corner, and Ricochet blind-tagged in.

Ricochet vaulted into the ring, as Omega took Dawson down with a Snap Dragon!

Ricochet ducked a superkick by Adam Cole and hit a quebrada!

Kick OUT!

Ricochet stayed on the attack...he went for the Benadryller!

Cole escaped!

SUPERKICK TO THE KNEES!

SUPERKICK TO THE HEAD!

Cole lowered the knee pad......

LAST SHO........

NO!

RICOCHET ducked!

Cole turned around.....

POP UP BENADRYLLER!

Golden Triangle (13:58)

The crowd went nuts! Mauro Ranallo exploded on commentary:

RICHOCHET PINNED ADAM COLE! RICOCHET PINNED ADAM COLE! RICHOCHET PINNED THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION!

Ricochet exploded with a triumphant roar for the win. Golden Triangle rejoined him in the ring to celebrate.

Adam Cole grabbed his head and rolled out the ring...he was dazed! Dawson and Wilder grabbed Cole and pulled him up the ramp...retreating. Halfway up the ramp, Cole realized what happened, and he clutched his belt and sank to his knees.

Kenny Omega grabbed the World Title and posed in the corner – pointing a finger gun at Claudio Castagnoli. The smile was wiped away from Salina de la Renta’s face, and she threw her champagne glass to the ground. Castagnoli slowly rose from his seat and stared down at Omega and Ibushi. Ricochet posed on the ropes and pantomimed the belt around his waist at Adam Cole. Mauro Ranallo closed:

What a night and what a match! Omega and Castagnoli for the World Title at SummerFest, Ibushi and Castagnoli next week, and Adam Cole’s next challenger has just introduced himself...his name is RICOCHET!

Results

No.
Results
Stipulation
Time
1​
Will Ospreay def. Dragon Lee​
Singles match​
19:50​
2​
Rachael Ellering (w/ Candice LeRae) def. Marti Belle​
Singles match​
2:32​
3​
Cody def. TK Cooper (w/ Dahlia Black)​
Singles match​
9:00​
4​
Jungle Boy def. Myron Reed​
Singles match​
8:25​
5​
Golden Triangle (Kenny Omega, Kota Ibushi & Ricochet) def. Black Arrow (Adam Cole, Dawson & Wilder)​
Trios match13:58

SummerFest
SummerFest
Capture.JPG

Saturday, July 13: ScotiaBank Arena in Toronto, Ontario, Canada -- Streaming LIVE on Netflix
WSW World Championship: Kenny Omega (c) vs. Claudio Castagnoli​
WSW Women's World Championship: Tessa Blanchard (c) vs. Kay Lee Ray​
Will Ospreay vs. Jon Moxley​
Deonna Purrazzo vs. Nixon Newell​

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 2

deltablues

Reaction score
News and Rumors
8ywXPohp_400x400.jpg

June 27, 2019

• If there was ever any doubt that a full-scale wrestling war was underway, the events of the past seven days were confirmed as such. With a spike in WSW popularity (and the instant sell-out of SummerFest that caught the industry off guard), a decline in WWE popularity, and the XFL debut looming, Vince McMahon named Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff new Executive Directors of the company on 6/27. Heyman will serve as the Executive Director of Raw, and Bischoff will take over Smackdown, with McMahon overseeing both brands. The changes are expected to go into effect in mid-July, which will be executive roles rather than on-screen television characters.
    • There are more questions than answers. Where does Paul Levesque fit in? How much autonomy will both men have? Only time will tell, but this is an unprecedented move by Vince McMahon – something he has only tried once before. With business declining in 1996, McMahon turned over creative to Bill Watts, and the relationship fell apart in a matter of weeks due to constant creative vetoing by McMahon. Heyman and Bischoff are much more political and understand how the WWE game is played.
    • The decision to promote Heyman is a bit easier to understand. McMahon was looking to lock him down to a long-term contract, and he was already serving in a creative capacity for Brock Lesnar and Ronda Rousey. He is well respected as a creative genius, and a lot of talent would come to him for advice. However, this isn’t the first time Heyman has been elevated to a role like this. He was put in charge of Smackdown in 2002. Heyman built the brand around workers like Chris Benoit, Edge, Rey Mysterio, and Eddie Guerrero, and for a brief period, Smackdown drew more viewers than Raw. A dispute with Stephanie McMahon severed the relationship eight months in, and he was demoted to OVW. In June 2006, McMahon decided to relaunch ECW as a third brand following the success of the ECW One Night Stand shows. The idea was flawed from the beginning, and McMahon and Heyman had a falling out six months in after a disastrous pay-per-view. Heyman left the company and was gone until 2012 when Brock Lesnar returned.
    • Bischoff is a more curious case. He currently co-hosts the 83 Weeks podcast with Conrad Thompson, but he has not been involved with the creative aspect of wrestling since his TNA run from 2010-2012 (a period that has been highly criticized). Bischoff was a successful on-screen character in WWE during the mid-2000s, but he did not wield any decision-making power. Bischoff overseeing Smackdown is particularly interesting given the move to Fox in October. Despite being treated as the secondary show for years, Smackdown will be the most important show by the fall. They need to draw ratings, and they will have to do it on Friday – the toughest night of the week for television viewership. Bischoff spent a significant portion of his career in television production, and the internal spin is he is well-positioned to communicate with Fox executives.
    • With the Q2 investors call looming, this decision came as a total shock both internally and externally. It is no surprise that WWE needs a shakeup – the product is stale, metrics such as ratings and attendance are on a downward trend, and for the first time since 2001, there is a viable alternative option (ironically, one headed up Shane McMahon).
  • This has been one of the toughest business weeks for WWE in recent memory. Stomping Grounds on 6/23 at the Tacoma Dome drew 6,000 fans. While the show was much better than expected, the attendance number is well below usual for a PPV. This number is misleading too, as two-for-one tickets were being sold for several weeks leading into the show, and WWE officials were handing out free tickets in shopping malls days before the show.
    • The main event really hurt, as the fans turned on the Seth Rollins vs. Baron Corbin match with Lacy Evans as a heel ref. Chants of “This is stupid” to “WSW” to “CM Punk” to “This is boring” were heard.
    • With the advent of the WWE Network, PPV numbers are a miniscule metric in 2019, but the early estimate of 9,800 – 9,900 buys would be a record low.
  • This was followed with the 6/24 Raw in Everett, WA which drew 3,500 fans – the smallest crowd for a Raw taping in recent memory. Smackdown on 6/25 in Portland, OR drew 2,500 fans.
  • Raw and Smackdown also featured numerous two-of-three falls and elimination matches due to a new Vince McMahon edict that no wrestling can take place during commercial breaks. Vince decreed that commercials don’t happen during play in real sporting events; thus, two of three falls create natural breaks, as do elimination matches. Industry insiders note that there is a short runway for this strategy before it gets contrived, and WWE is already broaching that territory by having a fluke for every match that goes more than ten minutes on television. The feeling within WWE is this will be dropped soon, as Vince frequently changes his mind, and many people are negative on the idea.
  • The 6/24 Raw did 2,275,000 viewers with a .73 in the key 18-49 demo. The 6/25 Smackdown did 1,921,000 viewers with a .62 in the key demo. The 6/20 Ignition, a loaded show, did 962,000 viewers with a .38 in the key demo – finishing third for the night on cable, trailing the NBA Draft and Real Housewives of New Jersey. Without significant sports competition for the first time since early May, Ignition was up 28% in viewers and 8.5% in the key demo. This is a good sign for WSW. The 2019 NBA Draft did great numbers on ESPN though, and 6/20 was a strong night for television all around. Of note, the Ignition tapings from Cleveland drew more fans than Raw and Smackdown – the first time this has ever happened.
  • After scheduling an NXT UK Takeover in Cardiff, Wales on 7/13 (the same day as SummerFest), WWE announced Evolve will hold its 10th Anniversary special on the WWE Network, head-to-head with WSW’s Ignition 200 on 7/18. Evolve is one of several independent promotions that signed with WWE to feature content on the Network months ago to combat the FloSlam streaming service. The move essentially was the death kiss to FloSlam, and none of the promotions that signed with WWE have been featured until now. It is a heavy WWE show, as Johnny Gargano defends the NXT Title against Akira Tozawa in the main event and Drew Gulak defends the Cruiserweight Title against Matt Riddle in the semi. Also on the show are NXT wrestlers Babatunde and Arturo Ruas, as well as top Evolve stars like Austin Theory.
    • The announcement stirred things up and is reminiscent of the 80s when WWE would find different ways to sabotage Jim Crockett Promotions and WCW’s PPV shows.
    • The WWE side noted that Evolve and WWE have been in talks about putting an Evolve show on the Network for a long time. They note that Evolve is celebrating its 10th anniversary that weekend, and the show is in Philadelphia, three days before the Extreme Rules PPV.
    • It creates more publicity for both shows. There is a battle to see who puts on the better show, and in that sense, it is a no-lose situation for WWE. If WSW has a better show, they didn’t beat a WWE show, it’s an Evolve show, and they are on cable. If Ignition has a lower-than-expected rating, Evolve did its job of counterprogramming.
    • Cody did issue a response, tweeting out

• Following his highly acclaimed match with Dragon Lee on Ignition, Will Ospreay appeared as a guest on Wrestling Observer Radio on 6/24 with Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez. Ospreay was very candid in the 90-minute interview.
    • Ospreay said he signed with WSW in 2016 for stable pay and the chance for exposure in America. He never envisioned what would happen next for him and the growth of the company. He said signing a long-term extension was a “no-brainer” as he viewed WSW as, “the best professional wrestling on the planet, and it’s not even close.” Ospreay is signed until 2022 for significant money.
    • Ospreay said WSW’s growth was due to “the talent, the booking, and the quality and diversity of the matches we feature.”
      ...my god bruv, if there’s one element of wrestling that really pisses me off, it’s this bastardization of the understanding of what wrestling is...you know what I mean?! Just my opinion – and I may get in trouble for this but fuck it – for years WWE dictated what wrestling was. They told you that there was one style and if you didn’t like it, then you were stupid. They spent all this time trying to prove they were major league and everyone else was amateurs or minor league, that they totally watered down their product. There are so many good fucking wrestlers there that aren’t allowed to actually wrestle. They have to perform the WWE style. I’m not a performer bruv...I’m a wrestler. I think that sentiment is felt in our locker room. When you buy a ticket to WSW you know you are going to see a buffet of what wrestling is. You’re going to see Lucha, you’re going to see strong style, you’re going to get theatrics, you’re going to get technical wrestling...all in one card where every match is different. I think people have gravitated towards that.
    • Ospreay said he was excited for SummerFest and his match with Jon Moxley:
      Three months ago if you told me that this would be my match on literally the biggest show in WSW history, I’d have told you no way. But crazy shit has happened in 2019. It’s a big match for both of us. I’ve made a big deal out of the Year of Ospreay or whatever, but Jon knows this is a big match for him too. He’s reinventing himself, and I think we are going to blow people away in Toronto.
    • Ospreay noted that he expects to move to the US full-time by the end of the year. He said the process has taken longer than originally expected, but he saw light at the end of the tunnel.
    • Ospreay mentioned that he wants WSW to expand its global footprint as part of its vision strategy, and he views himself as a key piece of that:
      I love being in the US, and there’s obviously a lot of room for our growth here...we’re doing a good job in Canada, but I think we have an amazing opportunity to expand globally. I love traveling the world, it’s a big part of why I am the person that I am. I’m Essex till I die, but there’s elements of Japan, Ireland, and Australia in me...all places that I loved to perform before I signed with WSW, and I know we would kill it there. One of my missions is to carry the torch of global expansion for us. I want us to run London, Dublin, Sydney, Osaka and Tokyo.
    • He said that he is his own worst critic. He mentioned that he wants to be viewed as the greatest wrestler in the world, and anything below that mark is a failure in his eyes.
      I’m always looking for what can make the picture perfect...ya know?! How can I change this or tweak my style. I did a fuck ton early in my career in terms of moves, and I’m evolving that. I need to for longevity. I’m working on improving my promos because that is so critical in North America to get your character and angle over – I'm trying to swear less, you’d never know it by this interview (laughs). I want to do this for a very long time, and I dream that when I finally hang it up...people say Will Ospreay was the best to ever do it.
  • Whether the interview sparked this or not...Seth Rollins chose this week (of all weeks) to go on the defensive. Rollins took to Twitter:
    ...Find anyone else alive who does what I can do as well as I do it as often as I do it. Ya can’t.
    • Ospreay responded with two words:
      I’m alive.
    • Rollins responded:
      Ahhh I’m sorry little guy. WWE is a global brand with millions of fans. We are the destination...congrats on being king of the niche though.
    • Ospreay let it sit for a while before responding:
      Hmmm funny that the niche is now outdrawing the destination...numbers don’t lie bruv.
    • Rollins then decided to play this card:
      I mean if you wanna talk numbers we can compare bank accounts too. PS That’s counting a month off with a broken back...buddy.
    • Ospreay then dropped the hammer:
      You love adding stuff don’t ya. I mean the original question was ‘Find anyone else alive who does what I do as well as I do it as often as I do it’ No talk of money. You said anyone. Here I am. Just as consistent. Just as good. Ignition is Thursday night at 8 PM...tune in and find out what your Universe is already learning. Hope the back heals up.
    • As if this ordeal wasn’t messy enough, Chris Jericho chimed in:
      Probably not the week to be beating your chest, Seth.

• Ignition will begin to go live weekly on 8/15 with the start of the Grand Prix. It now looks like the show will move to Tuesday in October with Smackdown’s move to Friday. This would make sense given the heavy sports competition on Thursday nights – the NFL is set to run a full slate of games on Thursdays this season. There have been extensive meetings between Shane McMahon and the Paramount Network regarding television and battle strategies moving forward. WSW’s current deal with the Paramount Network runs till December 31, 2021.
  • The WSW Experience will run July 12-13 at the Metro Toronto Convention Center during SummerFest weekend. As has been the case with their six tentpole events, the WSW Experience features meet and greets, autograph signings, and a live version of Chael Sonnen’s “Inside the Ropes” podcast with guests Kenny Omega, Cody, and Shane McMahon. Wrestling Observer Radio will also take their camp to Toronto for live shows.
  • In a first for WSW, the company announced that Shane McMahon would conduct a post-SummerFest press conference immediately following the event. The press conference will stream live on WSW’s YouTube page. The typical media call with Shane McMahon will be held on 7/12.
  • In another first, WSW will stream the SummerFest Kickoff Show live on YouTube on 7/13 at 7 PM. This is the first time they have ever done a preshow of this nature, with the idea being to feature a couple of matches and promos for the main card on YouTube for free, to entice people to sign in (or sign up) for Netflix to stream the main card. It will be interesting to see how they put this together. WWE’s preshow is usually a bunch of nothing, but these types of shows can work if done right.
  • The Briscoe Brothers’ deal with ROH is expected to end in the next few weeks. There is high interest from WSW when the window opens to begin negotiations.
  • Austin Aries returned on the 6/20 Ignition – attacking Cody and starting a feud between the two. Aries has been with the company since day one, but the relationship between the two sides has been strained to say the least. Aries has a bit of a reputation, and he grew unhappy and vocal with his positioning given the influx in talent over the last 8-10 months. At one point Aries asked for his release, but clearly, it was not granted. Aries is under contract until the end of the year, and he has not signed a new deal yet. His return to television though is a sign that both sides have found a happy medium for now.
  • Regarding his absence since Undisputed, Ethan Carter is not injured. His absence is part of a larger story according to those with knowledge of the situation. In this same vein, Bobby Lashley is off TV for the moment to sell the injury from Black Arrow at Undisputed. It is expected that he will return for the Grand Prix.
  • Mercedes Martinez officially signed with WSW and debuted on the 6/20 Ignition. She is being inserted into the program with Ivelisse, Candice LeRae, and Rachael Ellering. Like most unsigned talent in 2019, Martinez had offers from WSW and WWE. Martinez, 38, has been a fixture on the independent scene since her debut in 2000. She appeared in WWE as part of the Mae Young Classic in 2017 and 2018, and both times she was offered a developmental deal that she did not sign. Martinez is well respected within the industry, and she is expected to be the first of several women signings for WSW this summer.
  • WSW will hold an Ignition taping on 6/29 in Daytona Beach as part of the CEO gaming convention. At this time, the show has sold approx. 5,000 tickets, and there is hope that the walkup will be strong. The arena seats 8,000. This has already outperformed the 2018 New Japan show that did 2,500 fans.
  • #StrongHearts (CIMA, T-Hawk & El Lindaman) answered LA Express’ open trios challenge on social media this week, and that match will be on the 6/27 Ignition. CIMA cut a promo noting that the trio has had two very good matches in WSW; however, they do not have a win yet, and they are hellbent on rectifying that on Thursday to showcase the fighting spirit of OWE.
  • Advertised for the 6/27 Ignition
    • Claudio Castagnoli vs. Kota Ibushi
    • Jon Moxley In Action
    • Lucha Brothers vs. Valiente & Volador Jr.
    • Austin Aries promo
    • Ricochet promo
    • LA Express vs. #StrongHearts
    • Kay Lee Ray vs. Shanna
    • Elite 8 Tournament: Alexander Hammerstone vs. Alan Angels