UFC 136 Results Recap: Chael Sonnen vs. Brian Stann

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
09_Sonnen_Stann08_large.jpg
In a much anticipated Middleweight fight at UFC 136: Edgar vs. Maynard III, Chael Sonnen defeated Brian Stann via arm triangle choke in the second round. Sonnen dominated the fight from the opening bell, using superior wrestling to take Stann down and absolutely control him on the mat. This was MMA grappling at its finest, and another very impressive outing from Sonnen. The win here marks Sonnen's first fight back after a year out of action following his loss to Anderson Silva at UFC 117. For Stann, this was the toughest fight of his young career, and ended his perfect 3-0 run at Middleweight.

Heading into the fight, the normally antagonistic Sonnen was uncharacteristically quiet, stating that he respected Stann for his military service and would not trash talk him. But as soon as the fight ended, the trash talking Sonnen reappeared. In his post-fight interview, Sonnen challenged Anderson Silva to a rematch at the Super Bowl weekend show in 2012. Sonnen also vowed to raise the stakes, challenging Silva to leave the Middleweight division forever should Sonnen win, and promising to leave the UFC himself if he loses.

What was the high spot of this fight?

Sonnen's entire performance was great, and I could point to his grappling or submission finish, but let's be honest here - it was the post-fight challenge.

Where do these guys go from here?

Dana White would be insane to not book Silva vs. Sonnen 2 at this point. I just can't fathom any reason not to go for it.

Stann showed that he's not quite at these upper levels of Middleweight just yet. But he's also someone with value to the UFC. I think they'll want to rebuild him with a somewhat high profile striker he can slug it out with. Vitor Belfort or Yoshihiro Akiyama would both make fine choices.

Watch it now, later, or never?

Now. I've been skeptical of Sonnen at times, but this was one of the most dominant uses of wrestling in an MMA setting we have seen. The submission was beautiful, and whatever you may think of his pro wrestling antics, he's got everyone talking.

More BE coverage of UFC 136 in the full entry.

UFC 136 Results: Post-Hangover Thoughts and Reactions - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 136 Results: Frankie Edgar Embodies Rocky's Message in Win Over Gray Maynard - Leland Roling

UFC 136 Results: Aldo vs. Florian, Phan vs. Garcia FightMetric Reports - Mike Fagan

UFC 136 Results: Chael Sonnen vs. Anderson Silva II Will Produce Massive Interest Despite Skepticism - Leland Roling

UFC 136 Results: Dana White Says Frankie Edgar Is Top 2 Pound-for-Pound, Wants Him to Face Jose Aldo - Anton Tabuena

UFC 136 Results: Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard Post-Fight Recap and Analysis - Mike Fagan

UFC 136 Results: Jose Aldo vs. Kenny Florian Fight Video Highlights

UFC 136 Results: Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard 3 Fight Video Highlights

Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 88: UFC 136 Results Review

UFC 136 Results: Frankie Edgar Stops Gray Maynard In Four - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 136: Edgar vs. Maynard III - Live Results and Play-by-Play for PPV Fights - Brent Brrokhouse

UFC 136 Results: Jose Aldo Decisions Kenny Florian - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 136 Results: Chael Sonnen Challenges Anderson Silva After Dominating Brian Stann - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 136 Results: Nam Phan Wins Decision Over Leonard Garcia - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 136 Results: Joe Lauzon Makes Quick Work of Melvin Guillard - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 136: Edgar vs. Maynard III - Live Results and Play-by-Play For Spike TV Fights - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 136 Results: Demian Maia Decisions Jorge Santiago - Leland Roling

UFC 136 Results: Anthony Pettis Narrowly Edges Jeremy Stephens - Leland Roling

UFC 136: Edgar vs. Maynard III - Live Results and Play-by-Play for Facebook Fights - Brent Brookhouse

UFC 136 Results: Stipe Miocic Makes Successful Debut, Edges Joey Beltran - Leland Roling

UFC 136 Results: Darren Elkins Out Grapples Tiequan Zhang, Wins Decision - Leland Roling

UFC 136 Results: Aaron Simpson Dominates Eric Schafer - Leland Roling

UFC 136 Results: Mike Massenzio Batters Steve Cantwell, Takes Unanimous Decision - Leland Roling

</span></i></p>