Wyclef Jean running for Haitian Presidency

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Wyclef Jean, famous musician who was part of The Fugee's before forging a successful solo career is now a candidate for the 2010 Haitian Presidential Election.

He was born in Haiti and always had a close connection with his homeland, starting a charity a few years back to raise funds for his country which was in a terrible state even before the earthquake. After the earthquake he said that it was a sign from God that he must stay and help lead his country.

He does seem very dedicated to his country but he also has his problems. He supposedly owes millions to the IRS and he and his brother took quite a large salary from their charity rather than donating all of it.

I think that he would be a good thing for the region simply because he would bring attention to the country which is in a shocking state. I honestly don't know why with that aid money they didn't immediately clear all the rubble and rubbish to a dump and try to clean the streets whilst also delivering food, water and shelter. The place needs to be cleaned up and rebuilt and the billions of dollars in donations and aid should be spent on that.

I am pretty sure he will win the election since he would be popular with the younger generation and he could get them to vote. His presence should gain Haiti regular news attention and extra aid simply because it is him. I don't know if he would be a good long term choice but maybe at this time he is the right guy for the job to rebuild a broken country.

What are your thoughts on this?

Dademo

Reaction score
I heard about this. Honestly, I know he wants to help the country, but he was accused of stealing money that was donated to Haiti. I don't know if it's true, but I wouldn't want that guy as my president if I lived in Haiti. I'm pretty sure there's a current president though.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
In the end his bid for presidency was rejected because he is ineligble to run. He hasn't lived in Haiti for the previous five years before the election which is a requirement for any candidate. I assumed that he would have checked the rules before running but I guess not.

This doesn't mean the end for him though because he can spend his money on cleaning up and building infrastructure like schools and hospitals for the residents. Or just helping finance the small businesses trying to set up and survive in that country.