Why RVD is taking some time off

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
- Apparently Rob Van Dam lost the World Heavyweight Title and is taking time off because he signed a contract with TNA for a specific number of dates for this year and partly because of using him on live events, they are running low on the number of available 2010 dates.

TNA chose to have RVD take some time off with an injury angle and hold the tournament for the World Title to have some kind of build for his return.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Once again the maximum date contract comes back to haunt TNA. It made them cut Ric Flair's storyline earlier this year when he was reaching his limit and I believe Mick Foley also had to miss some shows because he was nearing the limit.

TNA really can't plan ahead. The writers should have detailed plans about how and when they will be using a big signing like RVD especially when they are signed to a limited date contract. These contracts are so pointless, they have backfired spectacularly on TNA a few times now and it shows that they are running short on money and can't afford to pay these people top pay full time. They need to cut dead weight who are expensive like Kevin Nash, Flair, Foley, Sting, Team 3D etc.

Stupid that they couldn't plan it so that RVD dropped the title before they made him take time off.

OJR

Reaction score
Don't you ever.... EVEEEEEEEEEEEEER, call Mick Foley dead weight again. As far as RVD taking time off, well this is obviously poorly planned. The whole 'this year' thing leaves me to wonder whether it means till January, or till he's been in TNA for a year. I don't actually watch iMPACT anymore (haven't since January), but to me, it looks like the show's in a mess if they can't be bothered to work out a way for their World Champion to actually be able to compete. If the rumours about Tommy Dreamer taking over as writer are confirmed, then perhaps that could help, but he'd still be influenced by guys like Hogan and Flair, so it probably won't fix the dissention in the ranks problem. KFC deserves better than this crap!

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Foley has been dead weight in TNA in the past six months. What has he done that has been entertaining or added value to the product? Foley didn't work when he was one of three authority figures in TNA, I think that he is best these days when working as the mouthpiece for a wrestler or group.

I don't mind tournaments but I just don't see the reason for vacating a title when you knew well in advance that RVD was leaving at that stage and you could have had him drop the title. I am not sure what months the year runs from for his contract, but I assume it would be twelve months from when he started. Still it is something that could easily be handled, cut the number of live events he is on or give him a few weeks off when he isn't champion.

fieldingmellish

Reaction score
There never seems to be any long-term thinking in TNA's booking. It's all about getting an instant pop and worrying about the consequences later. Setting the 'reset' button is something WCW did all the time when what they were doing wasn't working; it's a sign of a company without a creative direction. Hogan, Foley, Flair, et al are there primarily as ratings grabbers, something they have all failed to do on a consistent basis. As athletes they're finished, so their only real value is name recognition. If not even that can attract viewers and buyrates then they're a financial drain on TNA and dead weight to the company.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
TNA haven't built enough wrestlers up for the future. They can't rely on hiring WWE cast-offs to boost their ratings forever, they need to build their own stars and create talent that people will pay money to see. I can understand hiring some older, well known names at the start of the company to get the initial ratings and of course you hire talented free agents but guys like Flair, Foley, Hogan etc. are too old and haven't boosted the ratings enough. What happens when they go, they need to get some other wrestlers built up enough to cover their spots.

Whilst RVD is gone they need to put the title on a younger wrestler who they can build around and will still be in TNA in a few years time.